Trapper on the outer at the Lions

Chelly

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the appropriately named "Clutching at Straws" article in the Hun today, about possible recycled players, doesn't rate him a mention although he's a certainty to be delisted.

It's time to let go...

Guest hangon007

Even the appropriately named "Clutching at Straws" article in the Hun today, about possible recycled players, doesn't rate him a mention although he's a certainty to be delisted.

It's time to let go...

One step at a time mate. Lets wait and see if he is delisted first. Then & only then you explore the option.

Hahaha... "Wise words" - But actually wrong based on the facts. Hello players do miss games because of injury!! Hehehe. :)

Looks like we really are developing a herd-pack mentality around here. I like it.

And they get dropped also. In the case of TJ he has been dropped a number of times at Brisbane.

Here are some facts:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/statistics-support-lions-backing-for-travis-johnstone/story-e6frepf6-1225765842088

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-recall-travis-johnston-for-western-bulldogs-clash/story-e6frepf6-1225761139950

Dont get trappled while thinking too much.

If we somehow had the "option" of re-drafting Nick Smith and putting him on the veterans list, would we be "morons" not to consider it? Surely if it's an absolutely terrible idea, it can simply be dismissed out of hand?

Excellent point.

Come on Rhino, don't bring facts into hangons fantasy land! We don't want to confuse the poor sod.

One step at a time mate. Lets wait and see if he is delisted first. Then & only then you explore the option.

I thought we have just been doing that (exploring the option)

and, it was a large "no thanks" - too much down-side for so little up-side

May as well bring back the Reverend as bring back Trapper

All this comes down to is who would Trapper keep out of the side?

If the answer is Blease, Tapscott, Gysberts, Strauss, Morton, Jetta, Bennell...

Then you have your answer to this 'option under consideration'

I reckon you two must be the type to blame others for your shortcomings - because that's what your doing for TJ.

Any TJ apologists miss the point that every other player during that era came into the same club with the same culture.

He has no one to blame but himself.

I'm not sure what world you live in but the in the world I live in everyone is different. Sure trav has himself to blame but a good club recognises certain people need to be treated differently. I have no doubt the club failed Trav just as trav failed trav.

Sure trav has himself to blame but a good club recognises certain people need to be treated differently.

FWIW, I understand that the Club did allocate resources afford special treatment to Trav particularly in his early years. However the aim should be the opportunity and responsibilty lies with the individual. And for that Trav must wear the heat.

Guest hangon007

Come on Rhino, don't bring facts into hangons fantasy land! We don't want to confuse the poor sod.

Interesting he didn't quote links to the 10 games out of 15 games he played last year he got 20+ possession games. If a player has the ability to get a 35 possession game in AFL football, irrespective of his name you would have to consider the option.

But yes. The glass is always half empty. Look at the down not the up-side. But then again I wont expect anything different from many around here.

IMHO ... if Trapper could come into our side and help us make the finals in 2011 you would have to consider the option. I'm not saying he is a 22 game player. Just an option to help us take the next step where the alternative in this draft a 4-5 round rookie just wont help us.

However, at this stage he is still a Brisbane player. If history tells us anything any 30+ player not on a veterans list in a bottom side must be on shaky ground.

PS Oh Yes and I would hardly use Michael Voss's "list management skills" as a base to make decisions on. Where in one of the articles quoted he doesn't even have the "balls" to front the media. B)

Edited by hangon007

FWIW, I understand that the Club did allocate resources afford special treatment to Trav particularly in his early years. However the aim should be the opportunity and responsibilty lies with the individual. And for that Trav must wear the heat.

Sure but the club recruited him. If it didn't know he was troubled or lazy or whatever he was then that's poor recruiting. If the club did pour extra resources into trav then it's a pity they didn't pick up on Schwarz's poor influence. Either way the club shares the blame in my book. Just as carlton are part to blame for fev.

Interesting he didn't quote links to the 10 games out of 15 games he played last year he got 20+ possession games. If a player has the ability to get a 35 possession game in AFL football, irrespective of his name you would have to consider the option.

But yes. The glass is always half empty. Look at the down not the up-side. But then again I wont expect anything different from many around here.

IMHO ... if Trapper could come into our side and help us make the finals in 2011 you would have to consider the option. I'm not saying he is a 22 game player. Just an option to help us take the next step where the alternative in this draft a 4-5 round rookie just wont help us.

However, at this stage he is still a Brisbane player. If history tells us anything any 30+ player not on a veterans list in a bottom side must be on shaky ground.

Leave it alone. You're so wrong it's ridiculous.

Guest hangon007

Leave it alone. You're so wrong it's ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice. "Wrong" more swimming against the tide. However, just because you are in the minority, wrong is only ever a matter of opinion. Especially, when you are dealing with a passionate herd-pack mentality.

But never the less I enjoy finding where people formulate their opinions from.

Thanks for the advice. "Wrong" more swimming against the tide. However, just because you are in the minority, wrong is only ever a matter of opinion. Especially, when you are dealing with a passionate herd-pack mentality.

From the didtionary: #

1. contrary to fact, reason, some set standard, etc.; incorrect; inaccurate; false

2. acting, judging, believing, etc. incorrectly; mistaken

You are by the very definition of the word WRONG.

You seriously think the club should recruit an old, lazy, culture sore that it already dumped. Think about it.

Drop your stupid "herd-pack mentality" comments. There may be a small element of it but it is insulting to us who can think for ourselves, and it just make you look like you are clutching at straws because your arguments are not getting traction. There is no need to get so unctuous

FWIW when I originally heard Trapper might be available on the cheap it did occur to me it might be worth pursuing. However it didn't take too much thinking to come to the conclusion that there were more potential negatives than positives (and yes he does offer some positives).

And BTW Einstein, just where do "people formulate their opinions from" that gives you so much "enjoy"ment?

Guest hangon007

From the didtionary: #

1. contrary to fact, reason, some set standard, etc.; incorrect; inaccurate; false

2. acting, judging, believing, etc. incorrectly; mistaken

You are by the very definition of the word WRONG.

You seriously think the club should recruit an old, lazy, culture sore that it already dumped. Think about it.

I dont draw my "facts" from reading newspapers.

"You seriously think the club should recruit an old, lazy, culture sore that it already dumped. Think about it."

He is not "offically dumped" yet. Then you must consider why he was "dumped". Players 30+ in bottom sides that clearly have an inablity to manage their list ... is not and will never be my basis for me formulating my opinions.

Old he is 30 for god sake. Lazy, matter of opinion. Lazy enough to get the ball enough times in a bottom side. However, all players have "baggage" its never not fixable, depends on the role you expect him to play.

However, just for the record. I will say it again. Any 30+ player who you have to place on your senior list must be a risk.

Sure Trapper has "baggage" ... But Hello. Any player over looked 170+ times in the drafting process must surely have the same "baggage" all be it we would use different terminology .. and thats the alternative starring us in the face. Sure, I appreciate people prefer to "slag" the shinning new penny because it more "fun".

Personally, I would prefer we consider all options. Rather than dismiss them out straight away because of a players past. Yet interestingly a past where we traded him at 27 yet he was sufficiently well respected to still get us a first round draft pick. However, both club where in a different stage of "development then."

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

Drop your stupid "herd-pack mentality" comments. There may be a small element of it but it is insulting to us who can think for ourselves,

You can take it what ever way you want. But the evidence suggest otherwise. Thats why they quote the newspapers to back up "their" arguments.

and it just make you look like you are clutching at straws because your arguments are not getting traction. There is no need to get so unctuous

I'm merely following the mantra "its an AFL football forum you can say what you want."

FWIW when I originally heard Trapper might be available on the cheap it did occur to me it might be worth pursuing. However it didn't take too much thinking to come to the conclusion that there were more potential negatives than positives (and yes he does offer some positives).

We will just have to wait and see what Brisbane do.

And BTW Einstein, just where do "people formulate their opinions from" that gives you so much "enjoy"ment?

Fortunately, we live in a lazy world. Many choose to formulate them from reading, listening and copying others. Appropriation is a very debatable topic. Sorry, I'm no wordsmith, but I do think for myself. B)

"You seriously think the club should recruit an old, lazy, culture sore that it already dumped. Think about it."

He is not "offically dumped" yet. Then you must consider why he was "dumped". Players 30+ in bottom sides that clearly have an inablity to manage their list ... is not and will never be my basis for me formulating my opinions.

Old he is 30 for god sake. Lazy, matter of opinion. Lazy enough to get the ball enough times in a bottom side. However, all players have "baggage" its never not fixable, depends on the role you expect him to play.

However, just for the record. I will say it again. Any 30+ player who you have to place on your senior list must be a risk.

Sure Trapper has "baggage" ... But Hello. Any player over looked 170+ times in the drafting process must surely have the same "baggage" all be it we would use different terminology .. and thats the alternative starring us in the face. Sure, I appreciate people prefer to "slag" the shinning new penny because it more "fun".

Personally, I would prefer we consider all options. Rather than dismiss them out straight away because of a players past. Yet interestingly a past where we traded him at 27 yet he was sufficiently well respected to still get us a first round draft pick. However, both club where in a different stage of "development then."

I will ask you again cause you still haven't answered the question I asked you yesterday...

Will TJ help the Melbourne Football Club win a flag?

Just because nobody agrees with you doesn't mean there is a pack mentality, it means we dont agree with you. It says more about your suggestion that it does the posters on here.

Where do you get them from? Because you have been exposed factually consistently throughout this thread. If you had taken the time to read and consider other views rather than building your next factual errored and misguided rant, you have taken cause to reconsider your position. No you keep digging deeper..Oh well.

The reference to the Courier article evidenced that he had been dropped by two coaches for considerable periods over a two year period. Its puts another hole in your statement about TJ only being dropped for injury. Its patently wrong.

Yet you fly the flag of unwavering ignorance and claim everyone else does not consider your option. It would appear that they have considered the issue more than yourself drawn far more and drawn reliable sources of info than just your (up to) 30 second thinking spasms.And you have yet to put a coherent plausible reason why would should look at TJ. At best, the comparison with the 4th or 5th rookie should be send alarm bells into the most simple mind that maybe the TJ proposal isnt that wise. Take 30 seconds..maybe more to do what your so proud of claiming that you do.