The Jack Darling Thread

MrReims

To be honest, if you wanna know what Darling will be like, think of Bate with a bit more agility and decent defensive pressure and I think you're on the money.

Maybe a handy player to have, but I'm not sure it's what we need.

I reckon this guy can at least jump and contest in the air. That's not Bate's best strong suit.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon this guy can at least jump and contest in the air. That's not Bate's best strong suit.

Right you are HT. Bate can't take an overhead mark to save himself, and you'll never see the words Bate and agility used in the same sentence (apart from this one). Bate is more a lead up forward, Darling, who can lead up, is a much better stay at home forward. They may have similar height's and weights, but the way they play is world's apart IMO.

Once he translates his game to AFL I think he'll end up playing a lot like Bate, albeit more effectively.

Long leads up the ground and onto the wing to use his pace & agility.

Trying to outrun defenders using his large tank.

Long kicking for goal & into the forward line.

Not much contested overhead marking because of his height.

As much as I think he looks the goods at U/18 level, I accept it's quite likely he won't be given the same opportunities by accomplished AFL defenders.

It's "you're".

If you've got the facts then no doubt you'll put me in my place. Many people on forums spout unsubstantiated throw away lines, so I'm naturally sceptical. Maybe you didn't in this case.

You did say "going by experts opinion". I suppose that that may only insinuate two. I'm not sure that two is a meaningful sample.

We'll find out soon enough.

Why would I have need to put your in you place? I never suggested anything more meaningful, regardless of you wanting to incorrectly apply more emphasis to the debate, unnecessarily questioning something of really little significance.

Your supposition that it may only insinuate two is simply that.

Your tedious approach to correcting grammar is further unnecessary, especially when you cannot correctly quote one of the experts name when challenging me.

suit, shmoot, looks like a 25 to me -

Top 25 draft prospects

A fact substantiated!

I can tell my wife & kids that I proved Hannabal from the Demonland Forum wrong in some part. I'll tell them that the doubts about the facts I use have been partly proven incorrect. That I am a person of substance.

What a happy day!

Edited by Demon Hill

A fact substantiated!

I can tell my wife & kids that I proved Hannabal from the Demonland Forum wrong in some part. I'll tell them that the doubts about the facts I use have been partly proven incorrect. That I am a person of substance.

What a happy day!

Where did you "prove me wrong" ? I asked if there was a top 10, or top 25. How can one be "proven" wrong when asking a question ? Interesting logic.

Furthermore, having read question and answers from an interview with Emma Quale on another forum I'd like to direct you to this particular question and answer:

"Question 10. Tip for pick 4?

Jack Darling, Andrew Gaff, Jared Polec…. But I reserve the right to change my mind!"

Looks like you're down to an expert, as opposed to experts.

I'd be holding off on that conversation with your wife and kids for a while yet.

Yawn.

I agree. But i'm going to stick this one out- got a feeling this one's going to turn into a train wreck. And who doesn't slow down to look at a nasty crash?

Soooo... what are your thoughts on Harper E? I think he looks dynamite!!! He could definately compliment our midfield, would push out Jones and run with Scully, work off Trenners...... I wouldn't be sad if we went Harper..

I have hardly seen any of Harper.

Looks pretty good, and sounds better, but I think his worth drops because we have enough of his type.

Flies in the face of "best available", but when you have an evenness (albeit perceived) of the value of all the players likely to be available around pick 12, this is where the grey area allows needs to dictate.

I guess, if you say that about Harper, then is Darling that much different?

At 190cm he's barely a tall forward, more of a mid-sized forward on the tall side.

(much of a muchness).

I posted this in antoher thread, but i thought its relevant...

I understand the concerns about height, but I don't think it should be overstated.

More important is body build and how you play.

For example, Brennan in 195cm, yet has a very slim build and doesn't play like a KPP. Cale Morton is 194cm and is a running midfielder.

On the other hand, Brendan Fevola is 191cm, but has the stocky build and plays like a Fullfoward, Pavlich as well only 192cm but has the build of a KPP. Carey was 190cm, Neitz was 191cm.

Darling is a big boy with the build of a KPP who plays like a KPP. He has some great attributes that should definitely translate to AFL.

Where did you "prove me wrong" ? I asked if there was a top 10, or top 25. How can one be "proven" wrong when asking a question ? Interesting logic.

Furthermore, having read question and answers from an interview with Emma Quale on another forum I'd like to direct you to this particular question and answer:

"Question 10. Tip for pick 4?

Jack Darling, Andrew Gaff, Jared Polec…. But I reserve the right to change my mind!"

Looks like you're down to an expert, as opposed to experts.

I'd be holding off on that conversation with your wife and kids for a while yet.

Considering I only responded to confirm fact from the Daffey (or is it Daffy?) article I had read, there is little cause to yield on that conversation.

When you ask these "questions" I suggest you remove the excessive "quotation marks" that make the query seem anything but "genuine" and more the tone of a condescending [censored].

Considering I only responded to confirm fact from the Daffey (or is it Daffy?) article I had read, there is little cause to yield on that conversation.

When you ask these "questions" I suggest you remove the excessive "quotation marks" that make the query seem anything but "genuine" and more the tone of a condescending [censored].

You stated that "experts" had Darling sliding. You were then asked who these "experts" were. Your answer was Daffy (couldn't care how he spells his [censored] name) and Quayle.

We've established that Quayle has earmarked Darling as an earlyish pick by her suggestion that the Eagles would have him therabouts at pick 4.

We've also established that you speak sh.it. Often.

Edited by Hannabal

You stated that "experts" had Darling sliding. You were then asked who these "experts" were. Your answer was Daffy (couldn't care how he spells his [censored] name) and Quale.

We've established that Quale has earmarked Darling as an earlyish pick by her suggestion that the Eagles would have him therabouts at pick 4.

We've also established that you speak sh.it. Often.

That fact was never up for debate, was it?

Your ignorance in the face of your own intolerance is a sight to behold.

Clearly couldn't care less how Quayle spells her name either...

I'm aware of how she spells her name. Put that one down to a non responsive keyboard.

Btw, has anyone told you lately what a [censored] you are ?

I didn't ask a rhetorical question.  It was genuine.  You're familiar with the difference ?

I'm well aware of the difference and my post responded directly to your questioning of Demon Hill about whether Daffey produced a top 25 and it proved you were wrong. He didn't produce only a top 10.

Your statement asking if I'm familiar with the meaning of rhetorical questions reminds me of Homer Simpson in the following scenario:

Grandma Simpson and Lisa are singing Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind" ("How many roads must a man walk down/Before you call him a man?"). Homer overhears and says, "Eight!"

Lisa: "That was a rhetorical question!"

Homer: "Oh. Then, seven!"

Lisa: "Do you even know what 'rhetorical' means?"

Homer: "Do I know what 'rhetorical' means?"

I'm aware of how she spells her name. Put that one down to a non responsive keyboard.

Btw, has anyone told you lately what a [censored] you are ?

hahahhaha just a bit of gentle ribbing H...

(you did do it twice though).

Good to see it hit the mark!

I'm well aware of the difference and my post responded directly to your questioning of Demon Hill about whether Daffey produced a top 25 and it proved you were wrong.

I said, "Daffy only gave his top 10, didn't he ?".

I accept that subtlety isn't your strong suit(that word again), but you do appreciate that there was uncertainty in my comment ? You know, I wasn't completely sure, hence the "didn't he". Otherwise I would have worded the sentence "Daffy only gave his top 10".

Spot the difference ?

hahahhaha just a bit of gentle ribbing H...

(you did do it twice though).

Good to see it hit the mark!

The bane of my life is my keyboard. Tap tapping away only to look back and half a dozen letters are missing.

Am I the only one this happens to ? Yes, I should replace the keyboard. But I hasten to add that Daffy should be spelt Daffy.

Edited by Hannabal

The bain of my life is my keyboard. Tap tapping away only to look back and half a dozen letters are missing.

Am I the only one this happens to ? Yes, I should replace the keyboard. But I hasten to add that Daffy should be spelt Daffy.

Hppens to me al the tim espcialy whn I use an iPone.

Back on topic (if I may) I suspect that a number of clubs including our own will shy away from Darling on the basis of the no dckheads rule.

Hppens to me al the tim espcialy whn I use an iPone.

Back on topic (if I may) I suspect that a number of clubs including our own will shy away from Darling on the basis of the no dckheads rule.

The funny thing is sentences like that are still completely legible, as long as the first and last letters are there the brain barely skips a beat.

What topic? Oh yeah, Darling coming to our club? Do we have a no alledged dckheads policy too?