What is the future for Bate, Cheney & Mcnamara?

Don24

If a club was willing to offer a pick around 14-18 for Bate we'd be crazy if we didn't consider taking it.

Jurrah, Watts, Dunn and Petterd will form the nucleus of our forward line next season, and its hard to see Bate slotting in the remaining two spots. So he's likely to be a depth player. Its really been Dunn's development which has put Bate's role in the team under doubt imo. Dunn offers a lot more than Bate at this stage with his defensive pressure and mobility. The fact he's also proved to be a more dangerous attacking option than Bate is telling.

I like Bate, and in all likelihood he'll be with us next year, but he's going to have to improve dramatically in his defensive efforts, work rate and execution if he's going to be in our best 22.

Cheney is under contract until the end of next year so he will stay. I'm not sure what McNamara's contract situation is. If he's out of contract now, he's in trouble..

If a club was willing to offer a pick around 14-18 for Bate we'd be crazy if we didn't consider taking it.

Jurrah, Watts, Dunn and Petterd will form the nucleus of our forward line next season, and its hard to see Bate slotting in the remaining two spots.

Maybe also overlooking a certain 2010 Bluey Truscott award winner here? That leaves only 1 spot, and I'd prefer to see a smaller crumber/tackler such as Ozzie, Bennell, Maric etc. in the fight for that spot.

I like Bater as well, but he's going to have to pull out all stops to get back in the 22.

For a player of Matthew Bate's size and perceived playing area, i.e. inside forward 50, his inability to take a contested overhead mark is basically a career killer IMO. He is predictably easily spoilt in the overhead contest, almost without exception. This basically comes from an inability to jump slightly early at the approaching ball, thus keeping the opposition player behind him from access. Robbo was a master at this, and stuck his bum out as well, which is why he was able to take so many contested chest marks. Adem Yze also an excellent exponent. Bate just runs straight through the approaching ball without any elevation, or props at the ball's landing point, offering no body shield. This has bothered me for 2 years....can you tell? That is not to say he couldn't have a life as a midfielder, but we've got midfielders lining up at the door. Therefore I don't see where his future lies.

Too right Webber. It's an ability that good forwards have. Not so easily taugtht.

Bate is pretty much Melbourne's version of Ian Perry.

Can't question Bate's work rate.

No. But you can question most of his other attributes.... ?

Not much point of being able to run all day if you go missing far too often...

2nd, 3rd, and 4th efforts are often lacking. I lost count the amount of times this season that Bate gave up, or was just too slow to have an impact once the ball hit the deck. The fact he doesn't take the big, contested grabs means his leads up the ground often go to waste.

Forwardline pressure has been a big emphasis of Bailey's gameplan, and I don't think Bate provided us much this season in that regard.

He spends a fair amount of time in motion, but it doesnt necessarily lead to anything..

Having said that, I think he's capable of doing all those things (bar the contested marking perhaps), he just really needs a big preseason if he's going to play a part...

Edited by Daytona Demon

Judged by the 3 departures already- McNamara would be the only one out of the 3 who'd be delisted. Jones will be traded if he agrees to it so Bate is safe. Cheney no point delisting, need depth in the squad and was impressed with his game against the Saints this season

Having said, I think he's capable of doing all those things (bar the contested marking perhaps), he just really needs a big preseason if he's going to play a part...

Would love to see what Bate is capable of with a full pre-season and coming into round 1 with 4 pre-season practice matches.

This year he was injured all pre-season and had his first hit out at Casey Fields v WCE a week before round 1.

Having no pre-season can make a huge difference

Would love to see what Bate is capable of with a full pre-season and coming into round 1 with 4 pre-season practice matches.

This year he was injured all pre-season and had his first hit out at Casey Fields v WCE a week before round 1.

Having no pre-season can make a huge difference

Yeah that's true, having a full preseason can make the difference..

Which is why i'd like to see Strauss have an injury free preparation. He's being written off by a few, but I reckon he's got massive potential if he can get his body right. He's had a nightmare as far as injuries go in his 1st 2 seasons, and hasn't really been able to get any continuity into his football.

Needs to develop a defensive side to his game, but its tough when you cop an injury every other week...

You can, depending on what your definition of 'work rate' is. I take it to include things like second efforts and chasing. Those were severely lacking in Bate's game when he wasn't playing well this year (which was most of his games). So I thus question it.

If that is correct that is great news. I seem to be in minority I but I see excellent potential in TMac moreso than Cheney or Strauss for that matter. A one year deal gives him the opportunity to show further development without us investing too heavily.

I'm with you BRFE. Not so much that he has more potential than Strauss, as Strauss has potential too, but I reckon McNamara might make it more than I think Strauss will. Plus Strauss plays HBF/wing, positions that aren't of a great need for us at the moment, whereas McNamara can play forward or back.

I don't know why people are not surprised at suggestions of delisting Kyle Cheney. I reckon he's done everything asked of him when in the firsts, and consistently does well for Casey(including yesterday).

He gets the ball, is a good kick, and is a good mark for his size. I'd keep him for sure.

If that is correct that is great news. I seem to be in minority I but I see excellent potential in TMac moreso than Cheney or Strauss for that matter. A one year deal gives him the opportunity to show further development without us investing too heavily.

I see more in both TMac & Cheney than Strauss, as yet. I've seen nothing but one moment here & one moment there from Strauss. I've seen great games on numerous occaisions from both TMac & Cheney. I'm not saying they're going to make it, but I believe they've got something, to build off, 'reading of the play', 'courage', 'commitment to team', reliability.

And,I'm not saying Straussy won't make it. I've just not seen much but a kick here & a run there. IMO,,, he's GOT TO show something Next year, or it's West my boy.

I don't know why people are not surprised at suggestions of delisting Kyle Cheney. I reckon he's done everything asked of him when in the firsts, and consistently does well for Casey(including yesterday).

He gets the ball, is a good kick, and is a good mark for his size. I'd keep him for sure.

And he's tough as nails, tough like a former back pocket.

No. But you can question most of his other attributes.... ?

Not much point of being able to run all day if you go missing far too often...

Dunn went missing for 5 years...

Everyone loves him now.

Bate limitations are there for all to see - I have mentioned them many times.

He has a lot of work to do but, as with most players, he needs an injury free PS and to capture some form.

He isn't Flag Core but he can be valuable.

Oh, and one the funniest moments of hypocrisy this off-season - the OP mentioned he could be traded to a team closer to a flag than us and he's 23!

See you later Colin, Aaron, Brent, Mark, etc...