Brad Green

Little Goffy

Right, I'm sure we all know Brad Green is equal seventh on the goal tally for 2010 right now, with 36, but I thought I'd rattle off a quick comparison between our GUN and the other leading goal-kickers for the season. I'm sure you'll agree it looks pretty good, with the obvious caveat that this is totals so put an * next to guys like Jonathan Brown.

'Wins'

Tackles - 42.

Only Jack Riewolt is ahead of Green on both tackles and goals, with 55 and 58.

Eddie Betts is the only other player with more than 30 goals (33) who has laid more tackles than green, with 51.

Matthew Pavlich and Josh Kennedy are neck-and-neck with Green for tackles.

Everyone else with 30+ goals is at least ten tackles below.

Goal Assists - 9

Equal or greater than everyone above him for goals, but just below him on that list there's Steve Johnson and Eddie Betts with 16 and 15 respectively. Kennedy, Roughead and Podsiadly have 11 and 10. Goodes has 15, but sits just under my arbitrary 30-goal line.

Inside 50s - 57

The most of any player with 30+ goals, with Steve Johnson second on 52, Pavlich, Kennedy and Milne on 48, and then fresh air to the pack.

Rebound 50s - 17

Matthew Pavlich has 12. Johnson and Milne have 8 each Le Cras has 7 and it's duck-eggs for the rest of the top ten goalscorers. Obviously Green has been around the ground much more than any other goalkicker this season.

Bounces - 9The St Kilda Tip Rat has 20, Franklin has 13, and everyone else has sweet F.A. Not much run and carry up the pointy end I guess - another note on Green's activity away from goals.

Kicks - 213

It's Brad Green then the Pacific Ocean, followed by Pavlich and Johnson on 166.

Handballs - 102

Pavlich on 100 is the only rival. Milne has 78.

Disposal - 315

The only player with more than 300 disposal as well as 30 goals. Next is Pavlich on 266. Milne, Johnson and Betts are the only others to even crack 200.

Marks - 110

There are only four players of any position or role who have more marks this season, including Adam Goodes with 112. Brian Lake we all know about. Sam Gilbert and Jason Blake at St Kilda just kick it back and forward while they wait for their opponents to fall asleep. ;)

Break-evens

Marks inside 50 - 35

Contested Marks - 19

Goal Accuracy - 58%

Disposal efficiency - 66%

Clangers - 31

These are all in the 'good/average' range for major goalkickers, obviously well short of particular standouts such as Riewolt's astonishing 44 contested marks. Or (I have to share) Stephen Milne's !64! clangers, which is only even approached by Goodes' superstar-quality 54 clangers.

And now for the weaknesses...

1 percenters - 8

Significantly below most other major goalkickers. Interesting. Any comments?

Actually, that's it for weak points. :)

So there it is. Pretty solid evidence, for anyone who hadn't already noticed, that Brad Green is freakin' awesome.

My opinion, he'd be a lock, an absolute lock, for a Half-Forward All-Australian position. There's simply nobody else delivering quite such a complete package.

Right, I'm sure we all know Brad Green is equal seventh on the goal tally for 2010 right now, with 36, but I thought I'd rattle off a quick comparison between our GUN and the other leading goal-kickers for the season. I'm sure you'll agree it looks pretty good, with the obvious caveat that this is totals so put an * next to guys like Jonathan Brown.

'Wins'

Tackles - 42.

Only Jack Riewolt is ahead of Green on both tackles and goals, with 55 and 58.

Eddie Betts is the only other player with more than 30 goals (33) who has laid more tackles than green, with 51.

Matthew Pavlich and Josh Kennedy are neck-and-neck with Green for tackles.

Everyone else with 30+ goals is at least ten tackles below.

Goal Assists - 9

Equal or greater than everyone above him for goals, but just below him on that list there's Steve Johnson and Eddie Betts with 16 and 15 respectively. Kennedy, Roughead and Podsiadly have 11 and 10. Goodes has 15, but sits just under my arbitrary 30-goal line.

Inside 50s - 57

The most of any player with 30+ goals, with Steve Johnson second on 52, Pavlich, Kennedy and Milne on 48, and then fresh air to the pack.

Rebound 50s - 17

Matthew Pavlich has 12. Johnson and Milne have 8 each Le Cras has 7 and it's duck-eggs for the rest of the top ten goalscorers. Obviously Green has been around the ground much more than any other goalkicker this season.

Bounces - 9The St Kilda Tip Rat has 20, Franklin has 13, and everyone else has sweet F.A. Not much run and carry up the pointy end I guess - another note on Green's activity away from goals.

Kicks - 213

It's Brad Green then the Pacific Ocean, followed by Pavlich and Johnson on 166.

Handballs - 102

Pavlich on 100 is the only rival. Milne has 78.

Disposal - 315

The only player with more than 300 disposal as well as 30 goals. Next is Pavlich on 266. Milne, Johnson and Betts are the only others to even crack 200.

Marks - 110

There are only four players of any position or role who have more marks this season, including Adam Goodes with 112. Brian Lake we all know about. Sam Gilbert and Jason Blake at St Kilda just kick it back and forward while they wait for their opponents to fall asleep. ;)

Break-evens

Marks inside 50 - 35

Contested Marks - 19

Goal Accuracy - 58%

Disposal efficiency - 66%

Clangers - 31

These are all in the 'good/average' range for major goalkickers, obviously well short of particular standouts such as Riewolt's astonishing 44 contested marks. Or (I have to share) Stephen Milne's !64! clangers, which is only even approached by Goodes' superstar-quality 54 clangers.

And now for the weaknesses...

1 percenters - 8

Significantly below most other major goalkickers. Interesting. Any comments?

Actually, that's it for weak points. :)

So there it is. Pretty solid evidence, for anyone who hadn't already noticed, that Brad Green is freakin' awesome.

My opinion, he'd be a lock, an absolute lock, for a Half-Forward All-Australian position. There's simply nobody else delivering quite such a complete package.

Brad Greeen has been a gun his entire career

How he copped early flack for his efforts I have never understood

Go back and watch year 2000 games he his a wonderful Melbourne footballer and I hoope he is still sitting up forward when we win the flag: he deserves it!

Well done Brad Green you are all Australian

Good post. Great post, actually, as it highlights how much of a footballer Green is. The bounces stat to me is significant, as a player like Jack Riewoldt isn't going to take a lot of bounces in the goalsquare, so it shows that Green is working up the ground, playing across half back or on a wing, and giving the team run through the middle, whilst still being seventh in the Coleman.

With Green sitting equal seventh on the Coleman Medal leader board, i think for him to have any chance of making Aull Austrlian he will need to be in the top 5 come seasons end.... (LeCras is only 2 goals ahead sitting in fifth)

Should be captain !!!!

No. Junior should be captain.

Should be match-day captain? Yes. But that's on rotation probably until Junior gets back, might be his turn this week.

Should be captain next year? If Junior retires, maybe, but it's not 2011.

Should be captain !!!!

He seems to struggle with leadership i.e. not always in the leadership groups, Bruce took over captancy while Juniors been injured. Provides good leadership for the team though trough his actions on teh field which shouldn't be underestimated or confused with being a possible future captain.

None of us outside of the club can say for sure how anybody deals with leadership... all we can judge is how they perform on matchday with the captaincy. I can remember a few years back when Green was stand in captain for the day and he played a blinder, well above his form of previous weeks. That to me says he can deal with the pressure and extra responsibility and actually lift his game to another level to lead by example.

Edited by big tuna

Brad Greeen has been a gun his entire career

How he copped early flack for his efforts I have never understood

Go back and watch year 2000 games he his a wonderful Melbourne footballer and I hoope he is still sitting up forward when we win the flag: he deserves it!

Well done Brad Green you are all Australian

Yeah he has been a gun for the most part and the last 4-5 years especially.

He did cop flack because he was a bit, not quite soft but at least no where near hard enough at the contest. It is a massivecredit to him that he changed that, which was also given a push by him not being included in leadership groups. Maybe a bit insular as a player.

But yeah, so much credit to him cause he has a ton of talent, certainly is a gun. Captaincy would be fair reward, obvious how he can lead with his talent on the field, but some of those issues he has had, would also be a good leader off field.

He did cop flack because he was a bit, not quite soft but at least no where near hard enough at the contest. It is a massivecredit to him that he changed that, which was also given a push by him not being included in leadership groups. Maybe a bit insular as a player.

But yeah, so much credit to him cause he has a ton of talent, certainly is a gun. Captaincy would be fair reward, obvious how he can lead with his talent on the field, but some of those issues he has had, would also be a good leader off field.

When you look at those stats, you'd think he should be All Australian. Well, I do.

IMO the next seven rounds will determine whether the B&F goes to Jamar or Green.

And I think that, despite me liking the idea of him being captain, he won't be selected as he probably wouldn't perform as well. Moloney does seem like more of a leader, but who knows, Junior might continue on next year

Edited by eth38

what years was he considered `not hard enough` 98,99 ? cant agree

what years was he considered `not hard enough` 98,99 ? cant agree

Obviously not aware of those years, aware of the sarcasm :(.....most definitely more courageous efforts in his game 2005 onwards, IMO anyway. Damn good player either way and one of my favourites in red & blue.

Edited by Demon Jack 16

Yeah, I was about to put this up myself. I think 12 in a match may have put him a little further up the list in the AA selectors' minds.

Goals wise, LeCras over Green.

Stats wise, Green over LeCras.

Damn it, Le Cras just screwed up all my numbers :blink:

Was at the game last night, don't ask me why. Was weird. Just weird watching one guy dismantle a whole team from the forward line. Essendon's defence were... there are just no words.

Green > LeCras.

One game of 12 goals, whilst spectacular, does not constitute All Australian selection.

He kicked another 38 this year. And kicking 12 in a game HELPS constitute AA selection. What you're saying is, "Mark, you kicked 12 in the best return for a forward in 10 years, but we prefer to see a guy kick 3-4 a week."

Anyway, with a bit of luck Green, LeCras, Riewoldt and a few others will push Milne out. Probably won't happen, but I can dream.

He kicked another 38 this year. And kicking 12 in a game HELPS constitute AA selection. What you're saying is, "Mark, you kicked 12 in the best return for a forward in 10 years, but we prefer to see a guy kick 3-4 a week."

No, what I'm saying is that one swallow does not make a summer, and over the rest of the season Green has been as good, if not better, than LeCras, and that overall Green has had a better year.

Is Green injured? It says in the HUN that he has a dislocated finger or something which will need to be assessed but I didn't hear anything about this yesterday. Maybe this explains why he was on the bench late.

Also, am I the only one who didn't like seeing Green start on the wing yesterday? Last week he kicked 5 goals in a BOG performance as a lead up forward. For mine his best football comes in the forward line.

Is Green injured? It says in the HUN that he has a dislocated finger or something which will need to be assessed but I didn't hear anything about this yesterday. Maybe this explains why he was on the bench late.

Also, am I the only one who didn't like seeing Green start on the wing yesterday? Last week he kicked 5 goals in a BOG performance as a lead up forward. For mine his best football comes in the forward line.

I am pretty sure that in an article written about Green last week it mentioned that Bailey was playing him on the wing with Green given the latitude to float in and out of the forward line depending on what the game required...

No, what I'm saying is that one swallow does not make a summer, and over the rest of the season Green has been as good, if not better, than LeCras, and that overall Green has had a better year.

If Green tears a team apart like Le Cras has done then I would agree with you.

But FFS, Le Cras's effort was freakish and a wonderful achievement. They have both had good years. But Le Cras efforts puts him in front of Green if they are both going for the same AA FP role. This may not be the case. But I would be surprised of any player dislodges Le Cras from his AA guernsey. A shoo in IMO for the FP role. Green may be in the mix for other AA roles but is not as much a certainty as Le Cras.