The Run Home

Road2Recovery

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like to elaborate?

After the North game, one MFC player said to me the the reason they lost to North was:

1. Relentness opposition pressure.... that lead to

2. uncertainty and hesitation in decision making...coupled with

3. poor execution by hand and foot

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about you do it? I'm sick of these posts where you rant about this and that in overly generalized terms with no mention of how things could be fixed or anything to back it up.

You missed the saints game, the crows game was a poor outing, the pies game was certainly over in the first ten minutes... There's a reason why our results have gone down of late, our fixture has been very tough, we have hardly any senior leaders, junior has been out and we don't have a forward line.

But whinge away.

2 weeks after the 'bears' game we almost rolled the dogs in the wet. Clearly they had 'figured us out.'

Who is whingeing? I am making an observation as to why the season has stalled for us. Our Draw has been pretty good really- it could have been way worse so i do not except that one. We are part of a 16 team comp, so we play where we play.

We have many senior players on our list-sadly they are not in the top bracket- I am actually sick of people on here making so many excuses for them-But that's my opinion.

I saw all the games played by this team up to QB so i am entitled to have a view.

What the Club is achieving so far all round is FANTASTIC but onfield we have stagnated, if you do not agree that's up to you. And concerning me fixing the problem, i am a paid up member like you 45. I do not work at the club, but if i was ever given the chance sure i would love to sit down with DB for a few hours-it's always good to listen to different perspectives.

We actually do have a forward line, but most of them do not work hard enough to get back to position when the ball is rebounded off Half Back. How deflating is an empty forward 50...

After the North game, one MFC player said to me the the reason they lost to North was:

1. Relentness opposition pressure.... that lead to

2. uncertainty and hesitation in decision making...coupled with

3. poor execution by hand and foot

Which to me aounds like Brad Scott & his assistants did there homework really well, and works us out. And since then we have struggled with a couple of exeptions.

So your use of the word "Garbage" earlier is a little harsh i would say.

(Nice Reg Grundy's on your new Avatar btw-very suave look indeed)!

Edited by why you little

My comment of "why don't you do it" refers to when you said "look at our results since then"

Our draw has been pretty good?

Since our last win (which put us 4-5 - a very good start after our last few seasons) we have played 5 games.

They have included playing the top three teams, Adelaide away and a decent Blues team where one poor term hurt us.

That's called doing your homework.

We have MANY senior players? Name them and rate them as players keeping in mind their age and the games they've played/missed this season. The picture will become clearer to you.

My comment of "why don't you do it" refers to when you said "look at our results since then"

Our draw has been pretty good?

Since our last win (which put us 4-5 - a very good start after our last few seasons) we have played 5 games.

They have included playing the top three teams, Adelaide away and a decent Blues team where one poor term hurt us.

That's called doing your homework.

We have MANY senior players? Name them and rate them as players keeping in mind their age and the games they've played/missed this season. The picture will become clearer to you.

No lets look at it from the time we were 3-2 & then the picture becomes clearer 45. Stop making excuses when it only covers up the point i am making. Apart from the Dogs game & our QB Grand Final we have struggled & it has nothing to do with our draw-Adelaide have been shite this year so i don't buy that one.

Carlton are patchy at best & should never have been allowed that start. Rather than saying how hard everything is, lets look at putting up better performances against sides in the same competition.

Honestly WYL, you have a fair axe to grind...

You're less and less convincing you have any idea what your talking about the longer time goes on...

We have MANY senior players? Name them and rate them as players keeping in mind their age and the games they've played/missed this season.

WYL, any risk of you attempting this exercise? I'd be interested in seeing what you make of it.

Which to me aounds like Brad Scott & his assistants did there homework really well, and works us out. And since then we have struggled with a couple of exeptions.

So your use of the word "Garbage" earlier is a little harsh i would say.

(Nice Reg Grundy's on your new Avatar btw-very suave look indeed)!

No its accurate.

My explanation highlights execution of the plan and the commitment of players to the task under pressure.

North like every other team has known what we were seeking to do for 3 years. Brad Scott has known what MFC were wanting to do from his days at Collingwood. They just knew from previous experience we never had the cattle nor the skill sets.

And the cattle and the skills are mainly housed in player 22 yrs and younger who are still learning the caper and will be inconsistent in performances.

And I thought my new avatar would spur the Demons to a 7 goal win against Essendon.

No lets look at it from the time we were 3-2 & then the picture becomes clearer 45. Stop making excuses when it only covers up the point i am making. Apart from the Dogs game & our QB Grand Final we have struggled & it has nothing to do with our draw-Adelaide have been shite this year so i don't buy that one.

Carlton are patchy at best & should never have been allowed that start. Rather than saying how hard everything is, lets look at putting up better performances against sides in the same competition.

So you want to pick and choose your dates and yet again ignore direct questions I ask of you, I'll play it your way for fun.

3-2 included one poor perfomance and one good performance for 0-2. We then played a poor match but came away with the points, before playing a poor half before beating a rubbish tram. 2-2. We then beat a rubbish team with their focal point injured. 3-2. Of course, you wouldn't state it like that.

A poor game against the roos before an amazing effort against the dogs and another poor match against the weagles. 3-5. Outplayed a reasonably in-form team on the other side of the country, 4-5. Next 5 weeks see us play 4 of the top 6 teams and an interstate squad where we come away with no points...except an amazing draw against a premiership favourite. That's, pretty much, to be expected.

So our performances over the season have gone (on a good/bad basis): bad, good, bad, good, good, bad, good, bad, good, bad, bad, good, bad, bad.

That's incredibly basic, but you should understand it and relate it to your pre-season prediction (I'm also still contemplating shifting the saints performance to good given the effort displayed).

That shows a season so far of: 6-8, not where I want it to be (though very close to 7-7) but a massive increase on past seasons.

So you want to pick and choose your dates and yet again ignore direct questions I ask of you, I'll play it your way for fun.

3-2 included one poor perfomance and one good performance for 0-2. We then played a poor match but came away with the points, before playing a poor half before beating a rubbish tram. 2-2. We then beat a rubbish team with their focal point injured. 3-2. Of course, you wouldn't state it like that.

A poor game against the roos before an amazing effort against the dogs and another poor match against the weagles. 3-5. Outplayed a reasonably in-form team on the other side of the country, 4-5. Next 5 weeks see us play 4 of the top 6 teams and an interstate squad where we come away with no points...except an amazing draw against a premiership favourite. That's, pretty much, to be expected.

So our performances over the season have gone (on a good/bad basis): bad, good, bad, good, good, bad, good, bad, good, bad, bad, good, bad, bad.

That's incredibly basic, but you should understand it and relate it to your pre-season prediction (I'm also still contemplating shifting the saints performance to good given the effort displayed).

That shows a season so far of: 6-8, not where I want it to be (though very close to 7-7) but a massive increase on past seasons.

When did i pick or choose?? My original post on this subject talked from 3-2 onwards....

You rate our season so far a 6-8. Well i don't that's the fundamental difference between you and i 45.

Sorry mate a loss is a loss, and to that matter so is a draw. They are 3 games we should have won but did not.

I mean even our coach rated us a 5/10 season mark so far a few weeks back.

Room for major improvement and overall disappointing considering the good form that has been played sporadically.

I knew the game against the Wet Coke was over after the first 2 minutes-so i think your marking system is far to lenient mate, and as a teacher i hope you test your students harder for their own sake in future!

The Season is not over or wasted, but the onfield must show more up to round 22

Honestly WYL, you have a fair axe to grind...

You're less and less convincing you have any idea what your talking about the longer time goes on...

My axe to grind is to see this club Wake Up from its acceptance of Mediocre performances with the odd brilliant display thrown in. In my 40 years of supporting this wonderful club we have never been consistent over 22 rounds. (2000 we got close-but then the year after failed to make the final series to Redeem our GF loss)Now i fully understand this year as a Roller Coaster-but even so over all i am disappointed in our results post round 5.

If you have a problem with that you are entitled to it-but i recall you saying last week you were happy with the saints effort.

I streamed the 2nd Half last night and was not at all impressed-we gave the saints loads of cheap goals, and were non existent in the last Q. So i don't find your opinions too convincing either 25.

My axe to grind is to see this club Wake Up from its acceptance of Mediocre performances with the odd brilliant display thrown in.

Your overriding fallacy is that there is an "acceptance" of the mediocre performances. Its self serving for your own flag waving efforts. By hanging onto to such a cliched notion its no wonder you have difficculty in articulating the detail when challenged.You carry on as if MFC has to wake up one morning and shout " No more mediocrity" and march stoutly into a brilliantly bright future. If only it were that easy. It isn't and its a lot more complicated than that. Although your posts imply otherwise.

The mediocre performances particularly this year have occurred due to a multitude of reasons. Many of which will take some time to resolve. In many cases there are no quick fixes. But I have never heard any MFC player or official publicly or privately for a moment accept or being satisfied with mediocre performances. In recent years some of the mediocre performances are actually reflective of a lowly skilled side busting a gut without scoreboard results.

Its amazing that you accept the roller coaster issue but find it hard to be happy with performances post Round 5. Isnt that the ultimate each way bet?? Even more so from a bloke who happliy clapped the side off the ground after Rd 1. Our form this year is very much in line with what could be expected. Our best players are still so young and green (in their first 3 years) and our senior players (few in numbers and leadership, limited in ability and inconsistent in output) dont give enough. They have been like that for most of the their playing careers No one likes to lose and we all wish we were winning.

But dont hide behind the "accepting mediocrity" claptrap. Actually do the research as to why we are where we are rather than ranting overflogged cliches which seem to be an ever present springboard for further inanities.

I am still hoping for the 7 goal win on Sunday.

We'll probably be around the 10-12 mark in the draft JCB.

We may even get a priority pick if we do not win another game.

However- I do think we can win 2/3 more games- hopefully starting this week- the boys are really up for it. I expect them to come out all guns blazing.

Edited by jayceebee31

We may even get a priority pick if we do not win another game

there are NO priority picks... has been suspended for the duration of GC and GWS preferential drafts and will never surface again.

Your overriding fallacy is that there is an "acceptance" of the mediocre performances. Its self serving for your own flag waving efforts. By hanging onto to such a cliched notion its no wonder you have difficculty in articulating the detail when challenged.You carry on as if MFC has to wake up one morning and shout " No more mediocrity" and march stoutly into a brilliantly bright future. If only it were that easy. It isn't and its a lot more complicated than that. Although your posts imply otherwise.

The mediocre performances particularly this year have occurred due to a multitude of reasons. Many of which will take some time to resolve. In many cases there are no quick fixes. But I have never heard any MFC player or official publicly or privately for a moment accept or being satisfied with mediocre performances. In recent years some of the mediocre performances are actually reflective of a lowly skilled side busting a gut without scoreboard results.

Its amazing that you accept the roller coaster issue but find it hard to be happy with performances post Round 5. Isnt that the ultimate each way bet?? Even more so from a bloke who happliy clapped the side off the ground after Rd 1. Our form this year is very much in line with what could be expected. Our best players are still so young and green (in their first 3 years) and our senior players (few in numbers and leadership, limited in ability and inconsistent in output) dont give enough. They have been like that for most of the their playing careers No one likes to lose and we all wish we were winning.

But dont hide behind the "accepting mediocrity" claptrap. Actually do the research as to why we are where we are rather than ranting overflogged cliches which seem to be an ever present springboard for further inanities.

I am still hoping for the 7 goal win on Sunday.

RR the Mediocraty is just as much from the Business side of this club as on field, it goes back a long way and you know it.

Since when did i clap the side off the ground after Round 1....i stayed till the end, but that was it.

Don't add stories then bag me-it's not cool.

And BTW why do we have so many limited ability senior players as you state, is that not poor management and once again an acceptance of Mediocrity??

Previous administrations at this club have let this club down so badly, even without intending-but they have, and i am at this stage a little concerned that these Traits onfield still exist.

It is a problem that can be fixed, and i do believe in Jimma and co as i often state.

But while we put in substandard performances against sides we should beat-i will highlight it.

Fingers Crossed on the Reg Grundy's...

RR the Mediocraty is just as much from the Business side of this club as on field, it goes back a long way and you know it.

There you go. When you are cornered, you introduce an irrelevant point. The topic of the thread is the "Run Home". Your earlier about accepting medicority was about on field performance. As much forward motion as a scampering crab.

Since when did i clap the side off the ground after Round 1....i stayed till the end, but that was it.

Don't add stories then bag me-it's not cool.

What's not cool is telling pork pies.

I'm more annoyed by the supporters I saw clapping the players off.

I agree, i clapped them off, i wasn't happy but i bet they weren't either.

Not only can you not maintain a point of view without introducing irrelevancies but you desire to re write your actions is embarrassing. And your comment back then also makes your rant of accepting mediocrity even sillier.

And BTW why do we have so many limited ability senior players as you state, is that not poor management and once again an acceptance of Mediocrity??

Ugh. Its statements like these that only highlight that you can fathom issues beyond the cliche.

Previous administrations at this club have let this club down so badly, even without intending-but they have, and i am at this stage a little concerned that these Traits onfield still exist.

It is a problem that can be fixed, and i do believe in Jimma and co as i often state.

But while we put in substandard performances against sides we should beat-i will highlight it.

Blah blah blah. So how is this all an acceptance of mediocrity? :wacko:

that 2nd last game becomes a bit interesting in light of today :blink:

so i think your marking system is far to lenient mate, and as a teacher i hope you test your students harder for their own sake in future!

As a prospective teacher, I'm quite proud that I can say that I consider each student's performance throughout the year on an individual basis where I consider all factors that may be pertinent to the development/lifestyle of each child and their ability to learn - including the impact any detrimental factors may have on their learning or any background factors that may inform my planning.

This is for their own sake.

Sorry mate a loss is a loss, and to that matter so is a draw

Please, please tell me you thought that we played much better in Round 3 than Round 2, and that you were much more pleased with the performance of the Adelaide game. If you do this, I'll know to stay well away of your posts in future.

A draw is a loss?

Oh yes, and you've still not named the MANY senior players we have and rated them as players keeping in mind their age and the games they've played/missed this season.

Edited by 45HG16

Well put Rhino. I'm sure Why you little will have some form of mediocrity laced retort but hey that's why they invented forums. So even keyboard heroes can have their say...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98954/default.aspx

Interesting article. The author seemed to only rate Melbourne out the teams in the bottom eight as having a half chance of sneaking in to the finals. It's really pointless to think about finals when you have only won 6 and a half games (and there's still rounds to go) but we definitely have an easier run home than Sydney or Carlton, but we would probably have to win at least 4 of 5 and hope either of them to only win 1 of 5 which is unlikely. I don't think it would do much for the team to make they eight (they would most likely face Freo at Subiaco in an elimination final) and I'll be happy if they can play a consistent brand of competitive and exciting football to finish off the year and grab a few more wins along the way building towards a more genuine finals crack in 2011 :)

Brisbane at the Gabba

Richmond at the G

Hawthorn at the G

Port at AAMI

North at the G

After Demolishing the Swans i would hope we can maintain some of that form

3 from 5 would be acceptable although we are quite capable of winning all 5

The Richmond game will be interesting

Hawthorn will be desperate to gain some momentun heading to the finals and hardest to beat

Definatley want some pay back against North as they out played us last time

Its always good to finish the season with a win

Just tried out the ladder predictor on AFL.com.au - we could be in for a big last round match.

Now, shoot me down in flames if you will, but if Brisbane were to beat Sydney (at the Gabba) and we beat North in the last round...

6. Hawthorn 14 1 7

7. Carlton 11 0 11

8. Melbourne 9 1 12

9. Sydney 9 0 13

10. Adelaide 9 0 13

Making the finals on a grand total of 9 1/2 wins. We can dream :lol: