Clash jumper 2011

Guest Redleg_24

Clash Strip 2011  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Redleg_24

Guys, I realise this topic is not everyones cup of tea, but the reality is that we are going to be forced by the AFL to wear a predominantly white jumper next year and going forward. Unfortunately this is the reality of the modern AFL environment. So I have started this topic to take a poll from you 'Landers on what jumper you would be happy with us wearing next year. Personally, I am not a supporter of the current clash strip. Not because it is white. I generally has distaste for any jumper that has a monogram of mascot on the front and that doesn't represent or resemble the jumper i grew up following for the last 25 years. It comes back to identity and whether we can incorporate our history in an alternate white strip. The current one would be a fine training jumper, just don't like seeing it on the field.

However, I do not wish to turn this in to a debate over whether we should or should not have such a jumper, or why Essendon and Collingwood are allowed to wear thir jumpers, those topics have been done to death.

What I am looking from you is a constructive appraisal of the designs I have worked on over the last few weeks. At the end of the poll I will submitted the most popular two to the MFC marketing department for their consideration. I started a similar type thread a few years ago in regards to the Logo and submitted those ideas, many of which are incorporated in the 'as yet to be disclosed' logo. So the club does pay attention to the thoughts of its fans in respect of these issues.Also, if there is anyone out there who ishes to submit further ideas, I encourage you to do so.

Regards

RL24

Edit: They are all uploaded now. You may begin voting. I am happy to hear suggestings and make them for you and add to the list. Thanks in advance for the input

Edit for Titan Uranus: can only vote once now

Edited by Redleg_24

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is IMO that last Sunday against St Kilda wearing our white jumper was ridiculous.I cannot understand why we needed to wear it- our main jumper surely does not clash with St Kilda's.

Why can't I vote for our current guernsey???

JCB, for once I agree. And frankly, I thought that given the white in StKilda's guernsey, our clash jumper created more clash than our usual jumper would've.

I would imagine the problem is their black back v our navy back, and if this is the case, then wouldn't our red & blue clash guernsey have been a better alternative??

My only real problem with the clash guernsey issue is how the AFL reach the decision that there is actually a clash.

For those interested, Cam Schwab confirmed on Twitter the other day that we will be wearing our home guernsey against Essendon this weekend.

Guest Redleg_24

My only real problem with the clash guernsey issue is how the AFL reach the decision that there is actually a clash.

As I said ID, I was hoping to stay away fro debating that topic. Plenty of threads on that already. If you have something to add about these designs, or indeed the fact you prefer the current jumper I am happy to hear it.

For those interested, Cam Schwab confirmed on Twitter the other day that we will be wearing our home guernsey against Essendon this weekend.

Just on that, is this round the Clash for Cancer match between us?

Did we really wear a white clash strip last week against St.kilda??

Well that just backs up my arguement from all along doesn't it-These Alternative strips are not used for "Clash" purposes. They are a marketing Tool, that the AFL make a cut out of.

Playing in a white jumper against St.kilda-How ridiculous and down right arrogant AFL.

If we must wear this Rubbish it must be Red & Blue.

Essendon do not wear white in a clash strip so why should the MFC??

Well that just backs up my arguement from all along doesn't it-These Alternative strips are not used for "Clash" purposes. They are a marketing Tool, that the AFL make a cut out of.

Playing in a white jumper against St.kilda-How ridiculous and down right arrogant AFL.

I agree completely

The whole idea is a pathetic joke and its about time the MFC (Arguably the oldest footballl club in the world) stood up to the faceless organisation men and refused point blank ahla pies and bummers to wear anything but the true club colours

Obviously there are currently no penalties in doing so so why not take them on!

You want the club to stand for something then this will send a powerful message rather than just relying on spin and slick marketing campaigns as we have in the past. Gee just stand for something NOW!You may be surprised what happens

I agree completely

The whole idea is a pathetic joke and its about time the MFC (Arguably the oldest footballl club in the world) stood up to the faceless organisation men and refused point blank ahla pies and bummers to wear anything but the true club colours

Obviously there are currently no penalties in doing so so why not take them on!

You want the club to stand for something then this will send a powerful message rather than just relying on spin and slick marketing campaigns as we have in the past. Gee just stand for something NOW!You may be surprised what happens

Well said, this is the perfect opportunity after wearing white against St. kilda to say NO. If we need to wear a more Red Jumper against certain teams or a more predominantly Blue Jumper Fair Enough, But this white arguement is just incorrect.

Stand Up Melbourne, if there is a fine for not wearing that Rubbish-Tell us all what it is and lets get the arguement out in the open....Red & Blue only.

At the game on Sunday, I actually thought that with the white on Saints jumper, our white one actually then clashed with theirs more. With them having black on the back, that might clash with ours and had wondered if we could have our normal jumper with just a white back on it - without seeing how this looked it could just look stupid, but was just a thought after seeing the clash.

It is all about power / muscle!

Essendon and Collingwood are powerful and have plenty of money, a few years ago when the AFL was pushing the idea of "away / clash jumpers"

They told the AFL to go jump, they would not move from their traditional jumpers.

Melbourne on the other hand was close to going broke and needed hand outs from the AFL to survive.

So guess what our discussion was " yes Sir, no Sir three bags full Mr. AFl.

So we wear whatever the AFL decides.

I hate the white jumper but we have no choice.

I think it is more an "away jumper" now.

Maybe wrong but that would account for why we wore it last sunday.

My favourite for a while has been the red guernsey with the blue mfc logo.

Not to be a party pooper, but can an option be added for none of the above so the non-white voice is heard/quantified?

It is all about power / muscle!

Essendon and Collingwood are powerful and have plenty of money, a few years ago when the AFL was pushing the idea of "away / clash jumpers"

They told the AFL to go jump, they would not move from their traditional jumpers.

Melbourne on the other hand was close to going broke and needed hand outs from the AFL to survive.

So guess what our discussion was " yes Sir, no Sir three bags full Mr. AFl.

So we wear whatever the AFL decides.

I hate the white jumper but we have no choice.

I think it is more an "away jumper" now.

Maybe wrong but that would account for why we wore it last sunday.

You are correct to a point over the last few years, but there is no reason to kowtow to the Faceless AFL for the Future. I will not watch this club Roll Over and be dictated to, This is the perfect timew to Stand Up and say no.

Right now. A white strip against St.kilda???

Last Time i looked they have neither read or Blue in their Jumper or shorts, but they do have white.

FIGHT THE POWER old dee. we are red & blue

My favourite for a while has been the red guernsey with the blue mfc logo.

Not to be a party pooper, but can an option be added for none of the above so the non-white voice is heard/quantified?

that would be this ?

Melbourne_Clash-concept7.gif

am sure Clint wont mind..itsa cleaner effort than the one i did :)

Still reckon something along these lines but perhaps teh "New EMBLEM" in situ rather than the 'MFC" as shown here might be the goods,(as well as appropriate change for sponsors etc ) but only those who have seen the Emblem can make a judgement !! ( which would be ??)

Guest Redleg_24

Well they are red white & black, but completely agree with you that we should have been in our predominately red clash strip because the white one:

1/ Doesn't powerfully enough represent the red and the blue

2/ Looks like a South Melbourne and Footscray merger jumper

3/ Is downright girly

Good work from Redleg within the confines of white...got any design ideas in Red as well?

Yeh I do The Emblem..I will post shortly..I thank you all for voting. Seems the poll is reflective of my choice as well. Soo good to see a lot of us are all on the same page.

I ask a few of you to observe the comments in the OP. Please leave all arguments about Essendon and Collingwood at the door. Please accept that white has been chosen. We can only work within the boundaries set by The Dictatorship that is the AFL. I HATE the white, but what I am hoping is that IF the MFC HAVE TO submit a white jumper, as was the directive last year, it will be one that reflects OUR JUMPER! Not a Bulldogs jumper or anything new age sh'it like Hawthorn, Adelaide, Brisbane (2008) have thrown up.

here is a Red one to get us started.

dees7.jpg

Well they are red white & black, but completely agree with you that we should have been in our predominately red clash strip...

The white one is our only clash strip, you don't get multiple options

Guest Redleg_24

The white one is our only clash strip, you don't get multiple options

I am not sure that is the case. I think Brisbane have three jumpers. I could be wrong. The Eagles were the same. I can now confirm that West Coast have three jumpers. There old school light blue, a darker blue with yellow and small amount of white and and all white. I will shortly post a comparison chart shoing that the introduction of a light blue and a red clash jumper, will eliminate and further clashes. I will go through all 16 Clubs and show our jumper side by side.

Here is another Red version, which of course would be my desired 'Clash Strip'.

awaystripred8.png

Edited by Redleg_24

Sorry, I for one simply dont accept that our clash/away strip needs to be fundamentaly White. Some may suggest that we decline to mention essendon and Collingwood but the minute you raise the subject of clash jumpers its inevitable that the precent that these two clubs have created must allow for a discussion of us not using White as the predominant colour..

God knows how umpies and telly viewers ever managed in pre colour days. Amazingly games involving the Filth and Kangas on muddied grounds still went ahead...amazing isnt it. Strangely the more trouble is caused by non clashing umpire strips than the club guernseys !! Melbourne and Carlton managed a plethora of games without any incident of note. Never hear of Melbourne actually clashing with StKilda.

But if we cant have a red one and its white-ish then lets keep it simple...and classically classy and more importantly instantly recognisable as being Melbourne. Lets get it right and stop bugering around with it year in year out.

awaystripred8.png

Not too bad. 1) It looks like a real footy jumper...not some fashion T and 2) fulfils my wish that it unmistakably announces itself as Melbourne.

I just don't like white....it looks insipid and too familiar to other clubs versions.

I do like the red offerings as at least they stay within the same color and I cannot understand why we don't use them?

As suggested we still look like a football team in the red number.

Further, there seems to be many offerings with the MFC logo similar to Fitzroy's? Am I imagining or can I take from this that it stands a chance to form part of the new emblem?

Guest Redleg_24

I just don't like white....it looks insipid and too familiar to other clubs versions.

I do like the red offerings as at least they stay within the same color and I cannot understand why we don't use them?

As suggested we still look like a football team in the red number.

Further, there seems to be many offerings with the MFC logo similar to Fitzroy's? Am I imagining or can I take from this that it stands a chance to form part of the new emblem?

fair chance DJ16