Poll: Kicking in from behinds ...

Range Rover

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's see who gets the chocolates ...

Grimes - but only on a good day. It amazes me how some of his kicks hit a player 40 metres away on the chest and some go to straight to opposition who are closer than that

Bring in Strauss :). One of his highlights from TAC cup shows him kick out a 50 meter bullet then seconds later his involved in the next piece of play.

Like to see him get more games.

I picked Chip. He has a lot of improvement left in him in regards to hitting close targets (up to 40m), but has the ability to boot it 55m+.

From all reports Strauss is the man, but I want to see him secure his spot in the 1's before giving him that responsibility.

Strauss

He probably isnt in our best 22 but i would be willing to play him as a back pocket / half back flanker

I am one of those who thinks players learn more in the Seniors than at Casey

You will soon find out if the kid can play

Green also being a great kick isnt an option as he plays forward

Grimes takes too long

Warnock doesn't know what to do

Frawley needs to be the receiver then runs the lines

Davey is best %wise but he is needed elsewhere

Rivers gets too airborne

Garland? Hmmmm

Ok, I'm prepared to give Strauss another go

Whoever it is needs to be close by when a point is scored and needs to back himself to pick a target and get it there immediately, like the Bombers do. We suck because we are too timid and afraid of stuffing it up. The longer we wait for an option the harder it is to find one.

Grimes takes too long

Warnock doesn't know what to do

Frawley needs to be the receiver then runs the lines

Davey is best %wise but he is needed elsewhere

Rivers gets too airborne

Garland? Hmmmm

Ok, I'm prepared to give Strauss another go

Whoever it is needs to be close by when a point is scored and needs to back himself to pick a target and get it there immediately, like the Bombers do. We suck because we are too timid and afraid of stuffing it up. The longer we wait for an option the harder it is to find one.

YES. That's what I was forgetting. He allows opposition to set up zones...argh, he needs to stop that

IMO - I will go with the majority which is an unproven Strauss but this a bit desperate that we have no one else that people will look at.

Obvious to tell but I love Jack Grimes and IMO it is the team as a whole that create situations where the zones we face become difficult to broach, even in open play some players seem to go to Jack when they shouldn't and the turn over comes - but this is probably my bias!!

I think we too often look to hit a target that isnt there - how about playing to some of our current strengths? Play on from full back and clear the zone even if kicking towards the boundary outside of the zone - if we can at least create a contest and get a throw in we can back ourselves to win it from the throw in as our clearances have been good from stoppages.

The preference is to hit targets and move the ball - if that is not an option why play ourselves into trouble and turn it over for a certain goal - get it out of the zone and start again!

Strauss for mine. I've seen him kick in a few low bullets 45-50 metres which have gone out on the full but with time they will be "centimetre perfect"

But let him develop his own style, be creative and if he makes a few blues so be it.

I would love to see our kicker-inner be totally in control, be capable of kicking the odd "Tony Campbell" 60 m to a loose player in the middle of the ground, and have a forward structure where we can convert quickly from a kick in instead of everyone trying to run onto the ball from the backline.

IMO - I will go with the majority which is an unproven Strauss but this a bit desperate that we have no one else that people will look at.

Obvious to tell but I love Jack Grimes and IMO it is the team as a whole that create situations where the zones we face become difficult to broach, even in open play some players seem to go to Jack when they shouldn't and the turn over comes - but this is probably my bias!!

I think we too often look to hit a target that isnt there - how about playing to some of our current strengths? Play on from full back and clear the zone even if kicking towards the boundary outside of the zone - if we can at least create a contest and get a throw in we can back ourselves to win it from the throw in as our clearances have been good from stoppages.

The preference is to hit targets and move the ball - if that is not an option why play ourselves into trouble and turn it over for a certain goal - get it out of the zone and start again!

At the moment it could be Strauss,,,, for McKenzie or Gysberts, if there were to be a change.

Edited by dee-luded

I stand by what I said last week in reference to kicking in and believe this was done to great effect as the game went on.

I'm going to go against the trend here and name a player not on the list, and another who is yet to get much of a run in the seniors. The player I would select is Luke Tapscott.

Why, because the guy can kick the ball a bloody mile, and looking at his video highlights he can deliver it like a bullet to a guy on the chest. I reckon we go for guys who can at least kick over the zones that opposition defences set up.

I went to the Bulldogs v Lions game on the weekend with my Father in law (dogs supporter) and it was invaluable for them having a guy like Lindsay Gilbee who could just kick it over the zone brisbane set up.

I'm not sure if anyone else remembers Paul Wheatley bombing the ball into the centre square from a kick in at Etihad against the Dogs, but it was a sight to behold.

If not strauss, then i say Tapscott.

Anyone but Bruce!

Exactly Redleg!!!! Somehow Cam had kick in duties twice early in the game yesterday and both times directed to a contest which did not favour MFC player and Pies scored a goal on both occasions!!

Cams kicks 'float' too much. Need sharp drop punts or very long kicks out. Neother Cam or Jared Rivers kicking achieve this. Is why MFC have had to use Flash and Greeny in the past. Need to develop set up with Grimes, Garland, Straus as the designated kick in players

Anyone who can kick long and accurately (Grimes, Strauss, Davey), and tell them after a score they have three seconds to pick it up and kick it to a teammate

Davey with out a doubt, if he is not available Grimmes or Garland! Everyone is caught up on strauss but IMO he has done very little at AFL level yet too suggest he can do more than just kick in from a behind. Once he is ready great he is the obvious choice!

Davey with out a doubt, if he is not available Grimmes or Garland! Everyone is caught up on strauss but IMO he has done very little at AFL level yet too suggest he can do more than just kick in from a behind. Once he is ready great he is the obvious choice!

Hi Daz...see comment below from Casey match report against the Zebra's, Strauss not too far away I reckon and will be part of four options, with Grimes, Davey and Garland to kick out IMO, he is certainly more worthy than just needed to kick out..

"young Demon James Strauss put on a display of silky disposal skills, picking up 23 possessions while keeping a dangerous opponent in check"

Best

Johnson, Strauss, Macdonald, Creed, Wall, Panozza

On another note people was great to see the following at Casey twos:

Best

L McDonald, Cleven, Purdy, Fitzpatrick, Weekes, Jones

Fitzy's potential looks great!!

Anyone but Bruce!

Bruce would not get in my best 22 . Virtually gone IMO- he may even retire before season end.