Alternative Jumpers - St.K v Ess

sideshowbob

I noticed that both St.Kilda AND Essendon both wore alternative jumpers in today's match. The saints wore predominantly white, and white shorts despite being the home team. Essendon wore their fat stripe jumper.

Does anyone know why this occurred? Was it St.Kilda's choice or an AFL direction? The reason I ask is that I am concerned there's a risk the AFL will get us to wear something different for our home game against Essendon in July.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger that !

I would very much hope that the Melbourne Football Club insist on wearing our traditional jumper that "we" wear to every home game at the MCG !! Not the alternative clash ones.

Essendon can go.... . I have been waiting for a home game against Essendon. It's been a few years if I'm not mistaken. I share the same concern as you to be honest.

This doesn't sit well with me, if the AFL steps in.

Bugger that !

I would very much hope that the Melbourne Football Club insist on wearing our traditional jumper that "we" wear to every home game at the MCG !! Not the alternative clash ones.

Essendon can go.... . I have been waiting for a home game against Essendon. It's been a few years if I'm not mistaken. I share the same concern as you to be honest.

This doesn't sit well with me, if the AFL steps in.

Line in the Sand Stuff this is. We wear our Home strip for home games. Q E D. I pay good money to the MCC to see that jumper. The AFL can get.....on this one.

Agree completely, guys! MFC needs to serve notice on the AFL. Give Essendon 7 weeks to get their act together and to fall in line with the rest of the competition. On July 11 Melb will be wearing their traditional strip, and Essendon MUST present on that day in a predominantly WHITE strip. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSES ACCEPTED!!!!!!!

If the other teams can do it, so can they! (Even Collingwood have at least made an effort, by changing the predominantly black backs of their home jumpers to predominantly white backs for their clash jumper. So have St Kilda.

IT'S TIME!

What if Essendon offer us a 5 figure financial sweetner?

It's not about $$$$ it's about this club standing up for what we play for & believe in. This club has been pushed around for too long.

The only way this club will consistantly rise up the ladder is to stand united & strong without the lure of paperbags and suitcases.

It's not about $$$$ it's about this club standing up for what we play for & believe in.

I agree with you 100% however, Essendon's current clash jumper (the bigger red sash) will still clash with our jumper & I don't recall seeing Essendon announcing any other clash jumper.

Therefore, we will each be wearing our traditional jumpers OR we will wilt as we always have OR Essendon will pay us an incentive to change our minds.

I agree with you 100% however, Essendon's current clash jumper (the bigger red sash) will still clash with our jumper & I don't recall seeing Essendon announcing any other clash jumper.

Therefore, we will each be wearing our traditional jumpers OR we will wilt as we always have OR Essendon will pay us an incentive to change our minds.

We should play each other in the traditional strips. I have never mistaken an essendon jumper for anything more than what it is...Putrid.!!!

What if Essendon offer us a 5 figure financial sweetner?

You can't buy and take away someone's heritage !

It's our home game. It shouldn't be our concern. Our club should stand steadfast.

Little Adrian Anderson, the bloke who says a few days after the Dees v Dogs game, that it was a mistake that the umpires wore pink and clashed with the Demon jumpers, and that it "WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN."

5 days later umpires wearing YELLOW enter the field to umpire the Hawthorn v Richmond game !!

His head should roll.

If AA hands down a directive to Melbourne to wear a clash guernsey in the home game against Essendon, or if there is already some AGREEMENT behind closed doors that this will happen when Melbourne v Essendon (Melbourne home game); fair dinkum, I'll spew up ! Why ? Because it will be confirmation for me that our club has rolled over !

I'd like a confirmation from anyone on the inner sanctum at the club, what will take place in this fixture in relation to what the two teams will or won't wear !??

This thread is basically one of the reasons I hate Essendon. The arrogance of that mob is world class. If anyone's got a right to play the history/heritage card, it's us. The oldest club and inventor of the sport.

YEAH!!

We'll tell the AFL to stick this one up their jumper. If they don't like it, they can just take away the millions of dollars they pump into us to keep us in existence. That'll show 'em!!!

I see, so we have to bend over every time we're fixtured to play a home game against Essendon, (they've avoided this issue because of fixturing Essendon home games against us the last couple of years), just because of some assistance ?

Surely, the AFL could let us wear our jumper for our home games against Essendon ?

Or is that asking too much ?!

Open your eyes.

edit: If the St.Kilda v Essendon game is some sort of precedence for both clubs wearing their alternative jumpers, then it is highly likely the Melb v Ess game will follow suit: - Melbourne to wear white clash guernsey and Essendon with their fat red sash. On the G, at our ground. Yuck.

They should both just wear their traditional jumpers.

The AFL is just concerned for the viewer with poor vision.

It's not about $$$$ it's about this club standing up for what we play for & believe in. This club has been pushed around for too long.

The only way this club will consistantly rise up the ladder is to stand united & strong without the lure of paperbags and suitcases.

Crap. The only way we will rise up the ladder is to play the brand of footy that gets you there. Its a jumper, yes its ours and no we shouldnt have to wear away strips at home games but that is a very long bow to draw.

Not sure if there was any offical call from the AFL on the St Kilda/Ess game.

Maybe both clubs just used common sense. There was no clash what so ever.

Really, people get too emotional about all of this type of stuff. Essendon has an away jumper, which they wore yesterday. So in July, or whenever we play Melbourne, we will wear it if Melbourne is the home team.

But I congratulate St Kilda on using some common sense, also wearing an away jumper, and the result being no clash at all.

If Melbourne have to also wear an away jumper against Essendon, isn't it better that both teams are in away jumpers with no clash, than Melbourne "drawing a line in the sand" and there being a clash?

our club cant give in to this. sick of different rules for different clubs. North are a laughing stock rolling over for Collingwood with their clash jumper. Seriously listening to Cam Schwabs Whiteboard Wednesdays, our great heritage and where we have come from is constantly in the clubs mind and is something that is their responsibility to keep intact if we change for them in our home game, thats complete fail

Really, people get too emotional about all of this type of stuff. Essendon has an away jumper, which they wore yesterday. So in July, or whenever we play Melbourne, we will wear it if Melbourne is the home team.

But I congratulate St Kilda on using some common sense, also wearing an away jumper, and the result being no clash at all.

If Melbourne have to also wear an away jumper against Essendon, isn't it better that both teams are in away jumpers with no clash, than Melbourne "drawing a line in the sand" and there being a clash?

I think it would make more sense if Essendon actually created an alternate strip which isn't basically the same as the original. It's not a clash jumper if just about everything about it is the same. Essendon should cut out some of its extreme arrogance and wear a white jumper. We have too.

Edited by AdamFarr

If they don't like it, they can just take away the millions of dollars they pump into us to keep us in existence. That'll show 'em!!!

They won't do that. The AFL would not cut off the bloodlines of one of their clubs over something petty. The worst they'll do is fine us.

No its up to Essendon to come up with a suitable clash strip. Not just a fatter sash on the same jumper.

No its up to Essendon to come up with a suitable clash strip. Not just a fatter sash on the same jumper.

Exactly. The arrogance flows from the board, down to the supporters.

Edited by AdamFarr

Hi Ash.

I don't mind our club wearing an away clash jumper at Essendon home games.

Emotional or not, I don't think Mfc should have to bend over to wearing an alternative jumper, when it's our "home" fixture.

Fwiw, I would rather Essendon wear their normal jumper against us, than the away clash jumper (with more red) at our home games. Less of a clash.

Can't understand why Essendon doesn't just wear one of their training jumper designs (white) with the red & black Bomber logo on the front. Black numbers.

I see, so we have to bend over every time we're fixtured to play a home game against Essendon, (they've avoided this issue because of fixturing Essendon home games against us the last couple of years), just because of some assistance ?

Surely, the AFL could let us wear our jumper for our home games against Essendon ?

Or is that asking too much ?!

Open your eyes.

edit: If the St.Kilda v Essendon game is some sort of precedence for both clubs wearing their alternative jumpers, then it is highly likely the Melb v Ess game will follow suit: - Melbourne to wear white clash guernsey and Essendon with their fat red sash. On the G, at our ground. Yuck.

They should both just wear their traditional jumpers.

The AFL is just concerned for the viewer with poor vision.

If history is any guide, then no, the AFL probably won't let us wear our home guernsey against Essendon and they will say it is asking too much. Open YOUR eyes.

MFC have bigger battles to fight which make very real differences to our Club in the long term than grandstanding about our colours for 3 hours on one day of the year.