John Meesen

WonnaJurah

Why the hel re draft him as a rookie then? what a waste, add him to the many list cloggers we are accumulating.

It's called insurance. A La Hawthorn.

Even without a ready ruckman, they could not be that silly to recruit a player with LT foot stress fractures

I thought they were on the mend around draft time and that he had a set back in early Jan, otherwise he would have been right to go for season proper? I might have been wrong and thinking of someone else though I guess. Must admit Meesen's injury progress wasn't one I was following to closely.

Don't confuse under-rated with not rated.

He is a terrible footballer who has done nothing at two clubs.

He has as much chance of making it as Newton does.

Proof of his under-ratedness.

Not that he is actually that good. I just reckon he's a bit better than anyone here's giving him credit for.

Not good enough to get re-contracted though.

Proof of his under-ratedness.

Not that he is actually that good. I just reckon he's a bit better than anyone here's giving him credit for.

Not good enough to get re-contracted though.

He played a couple of good-ish games 1st half of last year, looked to be coming good, maybe.

He has missed a lot of football over the last 3 years, Since 2007 he has played SIX AFL games, would he know how to play the modern game, seeing the game evolves year by year and he has missed 3 of them.

Perhaps 'great' was a bit of a stretch. But he was far from awful.

I think I remember them to be good because at that time, our ruck department was abysmal. Jamar was yet to blossom, and Meesen showed more than I had expected of him.

I've decided the positive feelings towards Meesen are born out of a general consensus that he was horrible before getting a senior game and then when he played he couldn't possibly live up (down) to how bad people's conceptions of him were. So when he didn't punch the ball away from teammates or kick every ball out on the full the contrast of people's prior beliefs of the worst player ever were contrasted with the reality of just a very ordinary footballer.

I hope he gets fit and gets his chance to show whether he can play. Very few here rated Jamar until this year. I'm not saying he'll make it but I've also still got an open mind. He's had to show resolve to come back from a severe injury - perhaps it will translate into a real desire to make the most of his last chance. His key attribute was his massive endurance - that's a very useful commodity today.

We can't have too much ruck depth - just look at Hawthorn who I thought had heaps. I would hate to see Grimes and Watts contesting the ruck for us in 2014 - that's the equivalent of what's happening at Hawthorn.

I hope he gets fit and gets his chance to show whether he can play. Very few here rated Jamar until this year. I'm not saying he'll make it but I've also still got an open mind. He's had to show resolve to come back from a severe injury - perhaps it will translate into a real desire to make the most of his last chance. His key attribute was his massive endurance - that's a very useful commodity today.

We can't have too much ruck depth - just look at Hawthorn who I thought had heaps. I would hate to see Grimes and Watts contesting the ruck for us in 2014 - that's the equivalent of what's happening at Hawthorn.

I agree I think he should get an opportunity to see if he can play; it surprises me the amount of vitriol that is hurled his way on this site. He was selected by the club and that's not his fault they made the decision to give him a go, perhaps he should have said I can't play don't bother with me.

If he can play he will be a great transition player between Jamar and the young up and comers. Remember as late as last year there were plenty on here that wanted to get rid of Jamar.

Hope that happens because it means we will have won a flag in 2012!

However, back to the argument. Meesen isn't a worthwhile ruckman or footballer even when he gets on the ground. For those who have forgotten, he had 2 years at Adelaide before us as well!!! Classic Tarzan-Jane analogy. Wouldn't be at the club if he wasn't contracted.

Jamar in contrast was always a footballer. It was a question of whether he could perform as a ruck.

We drafted a player by the name of Gawn, 203cm (i think), will play before Meeson ever does again.

Fitzpatrick, although drafted as a forward i think is capable in the ruck.

Martin, developing and was drafted as a long term prospect, slowing showing signs

All of the above are able to kick a football, Meeson can NOT, which makes him a liability when he is on the field

Martin and Fitz can kick a football? That is big news to me. Martin has a shocking set shot routine, and as for Fitz this video doesn't back up your claims - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB52yOScT1U.

I'm a Meesen fan, I don't know why but I am.

As for everyone who is so excited about Gawn, I am 100% confident that when he resumes playing it will be at Casey 2's and it will take him a really long time to step up to AFL if he does at all. Doesn't mean he's a bad recruit, but he wont be turning it on overnight.