I don't sit on no fence

Whispering_Jack

How do fans of clubs not used to success react when their teams start winning?

I don't sit on no fence

A little bit all over the place that article, but I totally agree about the fair weather Melbourne fan. We are the most guilty of all clubs. I reckon we actually outnumbered Tiges fans last week and it was their home game. Amazing what the prospect of a certain win does to attendances by Melbourne supporters.

For the record, I have missed 2 Melbourne matches in Victoria since I returned 4 years ago (1 of them I was interstate).

A little bit all over the place that article, but I totally agree about the fair weather Melbourne fan. We are the most guilty of all clubs. I reckon we actually outnumbered Tiges fans last week and it was their home game. Amazing what the prospect of a certain win does to attendances by Melbourne supporters.

For the record, I have missed 2 Melbourne matches in Victoria since I returned 4 years ago (1 of them I was interstate).

Rubbish. A majority of our members sit in the MCC and that is always full no matter how we're traveling. Every team has fairweather fans, and even when we're flying we still only get 16,000-25,000 to games against interstate clubs. Hawthorn in 04 got only 11,000 against Port at the MCG. The Hawks, Swans and Lions have the most imo.

But anyway, I have no idea what the hell that article is about. All over the place.

Edited by calabreseboy

How do fans of clubs not used to success react when their teams start winning?

I don't sit on no fence

Well speaking personally, this fan has a bit more trouble sleeping at night, and his stomach churns a bit more on match days.

Re the article: I dunno where it's coming from, or where it's heading. Maybe the 'intellectuals' among us can provide an interpretation.

The disclaimer at the end (he's a Dees fan) made it all legit.

But the point about the fairweather fans is so true... my mate and me were sitting in the MCC before the Richmond game, and couldn't help but notice the amount of young families and old farts (complete with packed lunches, thermoses, blankets) compared to the week before. We didn't like it, and swearing black and blue, as usual during the game, was just not the same with such different neighbours. Sure, it's awesome financially for the club, but Week 1 of the Bandwagon made us long for a return to the days of the 20,000 die-hard tragics.

t I totally agree about the fair weather Melbourne fan. We are the most guilty of all clubs.

All Clubs get less supporters to games when they're getting smashed, or when it's going to be a shocking day - and this doesn't just go for AFL fans, either.

However, not all Clubs smash their membership record on the back of a horror season, and with not much to look forward to in the immediate future (refer 2009 membership).

Why a Melbourne supporter would jump on the bandwagon of painting our supporter base as more prone to apathy or bandwagon behaviour is beyond me, particularly when there's nothing to substantiate that false assertion...it amazes me.

PS. Hawthorn's crowds and membership have been pretty good lately. However, didn't they post the lowest MCG crowd in recent history not so long ago? Anyway, no doubt Melbourne are the 'most guilty' of being fairweather fans, right?

All Clubs get less supporters to games when they're getting smashed, or when it's going to be a shocking day - and this doesn't just go for AFL fans, either.

However, not all Clubs smash their membership record on the back of a horror season, and with not much to look forward to in the immediate future (refer 2009 membership).

Why a Melbourne supporter would jump on the bandwagon of painting our supporter base as more prone to apathy or bandwagon behaviour is beyond me, particularly when there's nothing to substantiate that false assertion...it amazes me.

PS. Hawthorn's crowds and membership have been pretty good lately. However, didn't they post the lowest MCG crowd in recent history not so long ago? Anyway, no doubt Melbourne are the 'most guilty' of being fairweather fans, right?

hear, hear!

The disclaimer at the end (he's a Dees fan) made it all legit.

But the point about the fairweather fans is so true... my mate and me were sitting in the MCC before the Richmond game, and couldn't help but notice the amount of young families and old farts (complete with packed lunches, thermoses, blankets) compared to the week before. We didn't like it, and swearing black and blue, as usual during the game, was just not the same with such different neighbours. Sure, it's awesome financially for the club, but Week 1 of the Bandwagon made us long for a return to the days of the 20,000 die-hard tragics.

Drove down to the Brisbane game from Wangaratta last Saturday with my family. First game I have managed to see this year given the 3hr trip down. Horrendous rain storm on the way had cars parked along the side of the Hume Freeway. Difficult trip. Got to the G with our packed food, thermoses and blankets, and we barracked forcefully all night – didn’t swear though. It was great to sit with 34,000 like minded fans in the outer. We sang the club song before the game was finished. Then 4 times more before we jumped off the bandwagon and made our way back to our car for the 3hr trip home. We’ll probably see a few more games before year end, depending on circumstances.

By the way, fourkings, I mean 4jacks, you don’t have a mate!

To be honest, I don't think we have that many fair weathered fans. To be honest, I just don't think we have that many fans!

When I was growing up in high school, I was one of 3 (yes, 3!) Melbourne supporters in my year level. This was years ago before Travis Johnson was claimed with the #1 pick, but the message always rang true. If the dees lost, I was going to cop it from a large amount of opposing supporters, of which there was always many** (with the exception of Freo, Eagles, Swans, Crows, Power)

Now in my late 20s, I am one of 3 dees supporters in my workplace (yes,3 again!-staff of about 85). I would love for anyone to convert, fair weathered of not. Just to have "Deemania" run wild would be great. I would prefer that all fans put their money where their mouth is and buy a membership (and show up on time- with the exception of being late due to a line at the Kebab Stand).

As long as you heart beats true for the red and the blue, that is all I could ask for.

I still don't really know what the writer was trying to say in that piece. The end of that article didn't seem to match the beginning (or middle). Bizarre!!!

It's my latest theory that most journos don't plan their articles, they just start writing and go along with whatever thought pops into their heads. This theory is supported by my own essay writing and the recent Kevin Sheedy article (to name but a couple).