Petterd Hysteria

Guest Redleg_24

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

With everyone apparently convinced that Ricky Petterd is the man that is going to leave the Dee's and head home to the GC, I am a little suprised that no one has mentioned that Jake Spencer is a banana bender as well.

Yup, that's right folks. We recruited Spencer from Redlands in Queensland. So does this mean that this bloke is a possible target/option when making deals with the GC17 team, presuming they are interested in soemthing that we've got.

I will be the first to admit that he hasn't proven much yet and is defiantely very raw. But small forwards are a dime a dozen. good ruckmen are are rarer gem. Although, according to The Ox on SEN the other night, not that important!!

It is very hard to come by good big men. As I said, Spencer hasn't proven much yet. But we all ne that Ruckmen take longer to develop (see M. Jamar). He has the height and has played a handful of senior games. Presumably he will play more later this year.

So I ask you, If the GC go after Bail or Ricky, can the Dees afford to offload Spencer to stop the deal?? Will the GC be tempted top take a big man? Is Gawn a similiar type replacement for Spencer?

I don't want to see us loose any of our players, but the reality is someone will move on this season. Just looking at options other than the Petterd -Topic of the week scenario

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14

For a start, Spencer is on the rookie list.

I'm not sure how that would affect things, but it has to count for something.

Are you even sure his contract expires this year? I think by the nature of it being a rookie contract it will, but I'm not sure.

He is an underdeveloped promising ruckman. Not unlike many on all other AFL lists.

Nothing special about him at this point, I'm afraid to say.

Clayton has already said publicly that he doesn't like the chances of any ruckmen coming out of contract this year.

Might be a smoke screen, but I doubt it because i think they already know who they'll take or they've signed someone.

Just in case this isn't clear, I want to make mention of he fact GC17 has the ABILITY to take one uncontracted player from each list.

Not the OBLIGATION to do so. They merely have the ability to sign a player as if he were on their list & coming out of contract, but a maximum of one player from each club.

In short, yes fully aware Spencer is from QLD.

I'd love for them to take him as opposed to the majority of other players on our list because I think we could most easily cover his absence.

Yes, Spencer was recruited from Redland's but he is Townsville boy who moved to Brisbane for year 12, played U18 regional champs then a bit of senior footy towards the end of the year.

Very different kettle of fish to Pettard whos family still reside on GC.

With everyone apparently convinced that Ricky Petterd is the man that is going to leave the Dee's and head home to the GC, I am a little suprised that no one has mentioned that Jame Spencer is a banana bender as well.

Yup, that's right folks. We recruited Spencer from Redlands in Queensland. So does this mean that this bloke is a possible target/option when making deals with the GC17 team, presuming they are interested in soemthing that we've got.

I will be the first to admit that he hasn't proven much yet and is defiantely very raw. But small forwards are a dime a dozen. good ruckmen are are rarer gem. Although, according to The Ox on SEN the other night, not that important!!

It is very hard to come by good big men. As I said, Spencer hasn't proven much yet. But we all ne that Ruckmen take longer to develop (see M. Jamar). He has the height and has played a handful of senior games. Presumably he will play more later this year.

So I ask you, If the GC go after Bail or Ricky, can the Dees afford to offload Spencer to stop the deal?? Will the GC be tempted top take a big man? Is Gawn a similiar type replacement for Spencer?

I don't want to see us loose any of our players, but the reality is someone will move on this season. Just looking at options other than the Petterd -Topic of the week scenario

They can have Jame Spencer (whoever he is) I'll keep Jake Spencer.

They can have Jame Spencer (whoever he is) I'll keep Jake Spencer.

any thoughts on the issue or is this a typo discussion site?

I will be pretty surprised if JS makes it, but then again I have considered Jamar to be a giant dud his whole career. It just took about 7 years for him to come good

I will be pretty surprised if JS makes it, but then again I have considered Jamar to be a giant dud his whole career. It just took about 7 years for him to come good

Can't they take Miller and we can be done with this whole discussion!?

I cannot understand why so many people think that because such-and-such a player is from Qld, that they are an automatic consideration for the GC team. Spencer hardly has any sort of a profile yet and would be sure to pass under their radar. Petterd has had two very good games this season and there is no guarantee he will maintain that form or that he will be high on the GC's list of priorities when the time comes. If he does continue to perform and improve, then I am sure that the Dees will be going all out to secure his signature.

Why does who GC should recruit so heavily and unreasonably biased to players with some form of origin from Queensland?

Is Vlad running GC as a covert family repatriation scheme for Qld expats?

Any chance GC might actually be chasing the players they actually want and need? :blink:

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

out of contract this year are Watts, Strauss, Blease,Miller, jmac,jamar, Newton,Meeson,Bartram, Hughes, Bail,maybe Wonna

Sure there is others

Would only be happy to see the back of 2 maybe 3 of that list. Miller and Newton definately. Unless of course Newton shows something this season.

Is anyone concerned about Jack Watts being picked up? I mean seriously, although he hasn't played enough games to tell, if all the reorts are right he will be a gun. So if he remains uncontracted up until the GC's 'window for poaching' opens, my understanding is that they can come in and pick him up for nothing.

I seriously hope that he doesnt start to feel that we are not offering him enough game time and leaving him in the Reserves all year and then gets edgy about seeking opportunities somewhere else.

I think he is pretty commited to the MFC - but still, it would be nice to NOT see his name amongst that list.

Would only be happy to see the back of 2 maybe 3 of that list. Miller and Newton definately. Unless of course Newton shows something this season.

Is anyone concerned about Jack Watts being picked up? I mean seriously, although he hasn't played enough games to tell, if all the reorts are right he will be a gun. So if he remains uncontracted up until the GC's 'window for poaching' opens, my understanding is that they can come in and pick him up for nothing.

I seriously hope that he doesnt start to feel that we are not offering him enough game time and leaving him in the Reserves all year and then gets edgy about seeking opportunities somewhere else.

I think he is pretty commited to the MFC - but still, it would be nice to NOT see his name amongst that list.

Might be wrong (and please, someone correct me if I am), but I was under the impression there was some sort of constraint that drafted players had to have been with a club "x" number of years (3?) before they were poachable; so I believe a lot of the out-of-contract names are untouchable.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Might be wrong (and please, someone correct me if I am), but I was under the impression there was some sort of constraint that drafted players had to have been with a club "x" number of years (3?) before they were poachable; so I believe a lot of the out-of-contract names are untouchable.

Hardtack, I think u r right there

I'm sure they'll look at all our uncontracted players at year's end, and make an offer to those they'd like in their team. Whoever accepts, goes.

I don't really know if that's how it works, but the point is they'll want/take our best player who comes out of contract. Whether that's Petterd, Jamar or anyone else, it will have nothing to do with Queensland heritage.

And I doubt it will be Spencer.

out of contract this year are Watts, Strauss, Blease,Miller, jmac,jamar, Newton,Meeson,Bartram, Hughes, Bail,maybe Wonna

Sure there is others

Out of this list I would be trying to resign Jamar asap. Especially if he continues to improve, which I think he will. Also, isnt Bail from Qld too? I maybe wrong.

Out of this list I would be trying to resign Jamar asap. Especially if he continues to improve, which I think he will. Also, isnt Bail from Qld too? I maybe wrong.

He is, but do you think that makes a difference..?

Jetta and Bennell could be added to that list.

None of the kids will go unless offered stupid money and they won't be.

Jamar will, rightly so, leave his contract extension til late in the season.

He'd be foolish to do otherwise, unless it gets midnight and he turns back into a pumpkin, in which case we will get to pay less to keep him.

Bails from the same club Millers from in Mt Gravatt and Bailey used to coach their.Keep Bail, could be our version of Barlow(mature aged gun)

He is, but do you think that makes a difference..?

Yes.

It may not mean that he definately wants to go, but history definately shows that some players like to return to their home state. (Scott Thompson to name just one). I did not mean to say that he will automatically want to return home, but it is definately more likely than the same player from Victoria.

Having said that, I would think that Gold Coast would not have Bail at the top of their list from our club anyway.

"resign" or "re-sign"? ;-) Hopefully the latter.

Yes.

It may not mean that he definately wants to go, but history definately shows that some players like to return to their home state. (Scott Thompson to name just one). I did not mean to say that he will automatically want to return home, but it is definately more likely than the same player from Victoria.

Having said that, I would think that Gold Coast would not have Bail at the top of their list from our club anyway.

that's what I meant - GC17 has to WANT these players.

Bail might be handy, but he wouldn't even be on their radar.

I think the GC17 will have blown all their cash on stars before they start raiding our list for the likes of Bail and Spencer. Ricky worries me because I really rate him. That said, we have cap room if it is money he wants!

I think the GC17 will have blown all their cash on stars before they start raiding our list for the likes of Bail and Spencer. Ricky worries me because I really rate him. That said, we have cap room if it is money he wants!

Good point. We can match GC17 with a lot of their offers once they are down to their second Tier recruits.

They will have to pay Top Dollar for their stars-why else would you go up there?

The Gold Coast is good for Glitzy Holidays but would get rather dull full time.