How to beat Collinwood

Ungarie boy

Absolutely right GV..If i were dean Bailey that is exactly what i would say..Throw most tactics out the window and tell the team to run, talk Tackle shepherd for your mates, move the ball forward as simply as possible, and don't look at the scoreboard-Look for the ball.

We will know the answer within 5 minutes next saturday as to how the team will play.

From the Bailey quotes in the press today it looks like tackling and chasing and intensity could be the buzz words for the week. Hopefully the buzz words become a week in week out part of our team mantra.

Absolutely right GV..If i were dean Bailey that is exactly what i would say..Throw most tactics out the window and tell the team to run, talk Tackle shepherd for your mates, move the ball forward as simply as possible, and don't look at the scoreboard-Look for the ball.

We will know the answer within 5 minutes next saturday as to how the team will play.

Those things ARE tactics. It's what we need, rather than strategy ie. 'game-plan'.

I agree with you about not looking at the scoreboard, but I would place as much emphasis on looking for your team-mate as on looking for the ball - the ball's much easier to find than the man running past. If you play for Melbourne, the man may not be running past at all and you'll have to turn around a few times to find a bunny to give it to. I think you are on to the idea of running in packs, and I agree with the basic idea. The word 'pack', though suggests mob-like chaos. I know, it's my word, not yours. But the vital thing is that the players maintain their relative positions rather than all of them charge in to do the talking, shepherding and so on. Maybe running in waves is a better term for it.

On Saturday, on the few occasions the ball was delivered to a marking contest in our forward line, two or even three players would go up, none stay down to crumb. Hawthorn moved the ball away with ease because they would have up to three unmarked men just waiting for the spillage. Our unmarked men were either falling in a heap after the marking debacle or too far away from their opponents to have any effect. It drove one to despair repeatedly watching that.

From the Bailey quotes in the press today it looks like tackling and chasing and intensity could be the buzz words for the week. Hopefully the buzz words become a week in week out part of our team mantra.

Well, there's your problem, if he used the word 'chasing', even if he implied it.

The tackling wasn't too bad.

Yes, intensity is a relevant concept.

But instead of 'chasing' the emphasis should be on 'hard running'; the opposition should be doing the chasing. Our players have to run hard and often into space ahead of the ball-carrier.

I agree; these things shouldn't be buzz words at all. They are the most fundamental tactics in the often haphazard game of Australian football. The crux of the game is to reduce the haphazard nature of the play (and of the umpiring, it must be said) by escaping from your opponent, kicking it cleanly, preventing the ball from entering a scrimmage situation as often as possible, maximising your chance of marking by being in front, not relying on a lucky bounce when your opponent is in front of you in a chase, and so on.

Those things ARE tactics. It's what we need, rather than strategy ie. 'game-plan'.

I agree with you about not looking at the scoreboard, but I would place as much emphasis on looking for your team-mate as on looking for the ball - the ball's much easier to find than the man running past. If you play for Melbourne, the man may not be running past at all and you'll have to turn around a few times to find a bunny to give it to. I think you are on to the idea of running in packs, and I agree with the basic idea. The word 'pack', though suggests mob-like chaos. I know, it's my word, not yours. But the vital thing is that the players maintain their relative positions rather than all of them charge in to do the talking, shepherding and so on. Maybe running in waves is a better term for it.

On Saturday, on the few occasions the ball was delivered to a marking contest in our forward line, two or even three players would go up, none stay down to crumb. Hawthorn moved the ball away with ease because they would have up to three unmarked men just waiting for the spillage. Our unmarked men were either falling in a heap after the marking debacle or too far away from their opponents to have any effect. It drove one to despair repeatedly watching that.

Fair comments, i was never meaning packs or mob chaos but the whole team has got to be on the move ready to help out, and the forwards must stay in the 50 metre arc to give the team scoring targets.

I really think we need to bring in Marti this week. Send Martin to the Goal square with Miller this will take Presti and O Brian to the square and instruct the two unless on a lead stay inside the forward 25m when in trouble kick long and get players front and square. That leaves Petterd, Davey, Sylvia, Green to create options through half forward. IMO those four will force Shaw, Maxwell and co to be more accountable, but the need to stay in our forward half we can't afford to allow Collingwood to have loose men inour forward half, if we do we will get thrashed. As stated if in doubt put the ball 10m out from goal, I'd rather have a turnover there then 40m out.

McDonald has first crack at Swan.

Bruce plays on Didak, similar player to Brad Johnson and we all know what Bruce has done to Johnson in the past

Bennell on Davis, I like the idea of aboriginal players playing on each other I have a theory but I won't go into it just yet

Strauss on Medhurst, he doesn't cover the KM's the other forwards do

Frawley on Cloke, Frawley has the ability to beat up Cloke and create off him.

Warnock on Fraser/Brown

Rivers on Anthony

MacDonald on Thomas

The middle just needs to run run run. So our team should be picked as below

Strauss Warnock Bennell

MacDonald Frawley Rivers

Bruce McDonald Grimes

Sylvia Petterd Davey

Green Miller Martin

Jamar Jones Moloney

Trengove Scully Bate McKenzie

The bench gives us midfield run with Bate going forward to allow Sylvia or Davey to also run through the midfield.

Thats the team and plan that can beat Collingwood

Edited by drdrake

Thought it might be interesting to create discussion on How to beat Collingwood and see what shape the resulting team would take (I found the exercise also helps shifts your mindset away from the negatives of last week) . Some discussion key points could be:

• Stop Dane Swan

• Expose players who traditionally don't like pressure (Didak, Shaw)

• Take advantage of their under performing tall forward line (Cloak, Fraser, Brown, Anthony)

• Limit the damage of their backs (particularly Maxwell, O'Brien, Presti)

• Expose a potential lack of speed/endurance in their Midfield (O'bree, Ball, Johnson, Lockyer; perhaps Pendlebury)

• Target their youth (sidebottom, Wellingham, etc)

• more suggestions

Okay in reality, as the current two teams stand we should'nt beat them; but that should NEVER stop us from trying.

Dear Ungarie boy,

Sorry, but what is the point of this exercise in self deception. The pies are light years ahead of our disjointed lot. I think their 2's would give us a run for our money. And when we woke up in the morning......it was not a nightmare, but a full blown catastrophe..... I do agree let's not stop trying and certainly compete....compete......compete.

Dear Ungarie boy,

Sorry, but what is the point of this exercise in self deception. The pies are light years ahead of our disjointed lot. I think their 2's would give us a run for our money. And when we woke up in the morning......it was not a nightmare, but a full blown catastrophe..... I do agree let's not stop trying and certainly compete....compete......compete.

So it's ok for us to give in but the players have got to compete . . . compete . . . compete?

Dear Ungarie boy,

You might give up demons27 but that is not in my nature. I will fight until i see Jimmy Stynes and The Team hold up the Cup high in the air to a packed MCG.

That's a fair call. After a loss like Saturday's we need to keep it simple. Talk about the ideals that the team values and attempt to show the footballing world and the faithful supporters that we stand for something. One on one footy makes alot of sense at this point. Obviously we'll still have our defensive structures and zones at appropriate points.

I'd place the emphasis on two things - run and risk taking. I'd give Davey, Bennell, Scully, Strauss, Trengove, Sylvia, Jones, Green, Bruce, Junior and Frawley the license to take the game on, play on at every opportunity and take risk after risk. I'd tell them not to worry about the mistakes, keep having a crack. I'd forget about a 4 term approach and tell the boys that we're going to break the game up. Let's play the first quarter like it's the only quarter of the game and run to the point of exhaustion - run in numbers, hunt in packs. And as corny as it sounds, I'd tell them to have fun. I'd talk about the amazing honour they have every time they run out onto the MCG. To play this game like it might be their last. And if we were anywhere near Collingwood at quarter time we'd immediately forgot the scoreline and start again. Sounds a bit u/14's but most of this team were at that level not long ago! Keep running, keep taking risks. Keep running, keep taking risks, Keep running, keep taking risks. If Woey were playing this weekend it would be pretty clear which two words I'd have him writing on the back of his hands.

It worked for Parramatta, in the NRL. Hay, they almost won the lot. B)

Must we put up with these flee infested rodents infiltrating every nook & granny @ the G.

joffa corfe

transdot.gif

20996683274ba4367581bde.gif

transdot.gif

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:20 am

Post subject: Could we DEE-rail the bastards in Round 2 ?icon_quote.gif Can we just about end the Melbourne football club for season 2010 with a mother of a hiding this coming Saturday ?

Never ever feel sorry or have pity for these pretencious bastards!!

Please feel free to add your pic to celebrate another season of melbourne DEE-SASTER.

aseasondeerailed2.jpg

transdot.gif

http://www.joffathemovie.com/

www.joffasfrontpage.com

Member of Melb Hearts F.C

http://forums.magpies.net/nick/

Edited by dee-luded

Must we put up with these flee infested rodents infiltrating every nook & granny @ the G.

joffa corfe

transdot.gif

20996683274ba4367581bde.gif

transdot.gif

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:20 am

Post subject: Could we DEE-rail the bastards in Round 2 ?icon_quote.gif Can we just about end the Melbourne football club for season 2010 with a mother of a hiding this coming Saturday ?

Never ever feel sorry or have pity for these pretencious bastards!!

Please feel free to add your pic to celebrate another season of melbourne DEE-SASTER.

aseasondeerailed2.jpg

transdot.gif

http://www.joffathemovie.com/

www.joffasfrontpage.com

Member of Melb Hearts F.C

http://forums.magpies.net/nick/

i love the end the season thing, its only round 2!

That sign took them 3 seasons to put up because we kept winning Queen's Birthday matches.

I'm glad there's a bit of fire there, given our history over them that's hardly surprising. Hard to derail a train that's not even left the station yet though.

Oh, and I hate how "pretencious" we are!

Less handball in the backline to stationary targets that are covered by opposition players would be a good start.There is a reason it is called football!

And originally that reason was to distinguish a game played on feet to a game played on horseback.

Only if you give them oxygen!

Perhaps part of the Dees' problem in the 1st qtr on Saturday was that while they were trying to implement an unfamiliar game plan, they were also trying to sort out their match-ups and work out the opposition's set-up. This would be way too much for an inexperienced team at the start of a game, let alone Round 1, let alone against a team trying to re-activate their "unsociable football". Maybe leave it man-on-man for the first qtr (or a large part of it), and then swing the game-plan into play once they get the feel of the game?

Thought it might be interesting to create discussion on How to beat Collingwood and see what shape the resulting team would take (I found the exercise also helps shifts your mindset away from the negatives of last week) . Some discussion key points could be:

• Stop Dane Swan

• Expose players who traditionally don’t like pressure (Didak, Shaw)

• Take advantage of their under performing tall forward line (Cloak, Fraser, Brown, Anthony)

• Limit the damage of their backs (particularly Maxwell, O’Brien, Presti)

• Expose a potential lack of speed/endurance in their Midfield (O’bree, Ball, Johnson, Lockyer; perhaps Pendlebury)

• Target their youth (sidebottom, Wellingham, etc)

• more suggestions

Okay in reality, as the current two teams stand we should'nt beat them; but that should NEVER stop us from trying.

I know forums are for discussion, But the simple answer is TRY to keep the damage to a minimum.