Luke Tapscott

The injury list thread has been closed after some heated debate over who delivered the `scoop`.

I can confirm whoever it was, is correct. Surgery is booked in!

Hmmm That explains a few things. Every time I've been at training,all he has done was honing his reflexes with handballs against the net.I;ve been down there 5-6 times.

Bummer!

On a brighter note, I had a good chat (I wont name drop), BUT someone very close to Trenners, told me he loves it @ Melb. Tho does miss his mates back home. So that was good to hear. :)

What's happened to Luke?

The problem appears to be a hip injury*. There seems to be some consensus that it is not a serious injury, possibly cartilage damage. Luke has been doing limited training (the tennis ball into the net thing) since late January. I think Addam Maric had some sort of hip surgery in the off season between 2008 and 2009 and it certainly curtailed his pre season but we don't know whether it's a similar complaint because, in this case, the club is keeping things close to its chest and Luke is not even on the official injured list.

* reported first in time by Destroy All on Demonology and also reported by Deeman on Demonland who is not the Deeman from Demonology. Deeman's source is a friend who claims to have gotten this information from a player. No further argy bargy about who got their info from where will be entered into (but feel free to discuss the injury and its possible impact on the player and the club)

Actually, I was thinking yesterday as I was watching that fantastic game between the Saints and the Pies about the irony of Luke Tapscott being injured. Luke was the player whose name was called out at # 18 in the National Draft slowly and dramatically by Barry Prendergast when some were anticipating that he might call out "Luke...Ball."

The worry at the time was with Ball's fitness (we weren't going to take him anyway) and yet, he played very well last night while our young and apparently fit Luke looks likely to be sitting on the sidelines for a while. Of course, this is all short term stuff and the fitness queries on Ball were about his ability to see out the rigours of a whole season.

Luke Tapscott was hardly going to be a regular in the first half of his first season in the AFL so this surgery will hopefully be nothing more than a minor setback at the start of a long career.

Another thing I noticed last night was that, at one stage, a Simon Buckley pass hit its target. I wish him well at his new club!

The problem appears to be a hip injury*. There seems to be some consensus that it is not a serious injury, possibly cartilage damage. Luke has been doing limited training (the tennis ball into the net thing) since late January. I think Addam Maric had some sort of hip surgery in the off season between 2008 and 2009 and it certainly curtailed his pre season but we don't know whether it's a similar complaint because, in this case, the club is keeping things close to its chest and Luke is not even on the official injured list.

* reported first in time by Destroy All on Demonology and also reported by Deeman on Demonland who is not the Deeman from Demonology. Deeman's source is a friend who claims to have gotten this information from a player. No further argy bargy about who got their info from where will be entered into (but feel free to discuss the injury and its possible impact on the player and the club)

Thanks.

HAS it been confirmed?

I still don't see a link to an article or any concrete info...

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not saying Hell Bent or whoever else thinks they broke this first are wrong, but the title of this thread should be changed, because it still hasn't been confirmed by the club. He's not on the injury list, there aren't articles saying he's injured, so IMO it's still a rumour.

i am very disappointed. my brand new jumper i received this week is sporting tappys 35. i've jumped on nice and early and really reckon he will be a star for us. but looks like i will have to wait a bit longer to see him run out on the 'G'

I'm with you H, I reckon this kid is going to be pretty special.

On a different tack and a little off topic could a number 11 draft pick debut with any less pressure than Gysberts? No one talks about him and with a bit of luck he may just sail under the radar.

I'm with you H, I reckon this kid is going to be pretty special.

On a different tack and a little off topic could a number 11 draft pick debut with any less pressure than Gysberts? No one talks about him and with a bit of luck he may just sail under the radar.

There wouldn't be too many #11 picks who happen also to be their club's third pick!

Another thing I noticed last night was that, at one stage, a Simon Buckley pass hit its target. I wish him well at his new club!

Yeah me too.

I've been watching the Lions/Dees thriller from 2008 as a warm up to the game this weekend, and watching him in that got me thinking. A shame he had to go.

It's now official.

According to today's Herald Sun, a "Melbourne official" has confirmed that Luke has undergone hip surgery and will be out for 3 - 4 months. The club hopes to have him back in mid-season.

In a separate article, it seems that Adelaide made a play during the off season to get Jordie McKenzie across the border but the young Demon decided to repay the club's faith in him and stayed put as a rookie.

With Tapscott out for a while Jordie can get a place on the senior list with some good pre season performances starting with tonight's game against the Dockers as there is a long term injury vacancy now open.

Actually, I was thinking yesterday as I was watching that fantastic game between the Saints and the Pies about the irony of Luke Tapscott being injured. Luke was the player whose name was called out at # 18 in the National Draft slowly and dramatically by Barry Prendergast when some were anticipating that he might call out "Luke...Ball."

The worry at the time was with Ball's fitness (we weren't going to take him anyway) and yet, he played very well last night while our young and apparently fit Luke looks likely to be sitting on the sidelines for a while. Of course, this is all short term stuff and the fitness queries on Ball were about his ability to see out the rigours of a whole season.

Luke Tapscott was hardly going to be a regular in the first half of his first season in the AFL so this surgery will hopefully be nothing more than a minor setback at the start of a long career.

I am going to agree to disagree with this barring injury (which obviously destroys my theory) i beleive he would have been a regualar as he had the body type and senior football experience (sanfl) to have an impact providing he maintaned form

I'm not sure he had the required fitness to play straight away - had he not had the hip injury he may have developed the fitness by now, but we'll never know.

In summation, I'm content with this outcome.

We're building a team and developing these kids to win a flag in a few years' time - not to win a few meaningless games now.

I'd rather Tapscott gets his cut-up now and gets the problem fixed.

There are plenty of talented kids to play in the spot he may have taken up.

Nothing is really lost.

It's now official.

According to today's Herald Sun, a "Melbourne official" has confirmed that Luke has undergone hip surgery and will be out for 3 - 4 months. The club hopes to have him back in mid-season.

In a separate article, it seems that Adelaide made a play during the off season to get Jordie McKenzie across the border but the young Demon decided to repay the club's faith in him and stayed put as a rookie.

With Tapscott out for a while Jordie can get a place on the senior list with some good pre season performances starting with tonight's game against the Dockers as there is a long term injury vacancy now open.

Disappointing not to see Tappy for the majority of the season but it is a great opportunity for Jordie. Have been high on him since I first saw him play for Casey early last season. Just works himself ragged to get the pill out then works hard to get to the next contest.