Brisbane overstocked on ruckmen

Dappa Dan

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89260/default.aspx

This topic, I think, was discussed last year during the trade season, but I don't remember if anyone even commented.

Looking at this article, that's 3 pretty big ruck names right there. Clark who was nearly All Australian, Leuenberger who has huge wraps, and Charman who's still in his prime (though has body issues apparently.

How do we feel about our ruck stocks? Even the footy department think it's our weakness. I've been of the feeling for a while that we're unlikely to draft and train a first-rate ruckman, as we've had so many early picks used on far more desperate needs (CHF, midfield).

So trading would become an option. Add to this that should be miss finals next year we'd have a LOT of tradeable young talent, and an early pick to use. I'm going to assume that the Fitzpatrick/Gawn/Spencer trio are a LONG way off... and that it's likely if they WERE going to trade it would be Charman first, as they'd want to hang on to the other two as a young ruck brigade.

What are peoples' thoughts on this. Charman is only 28, which isn't ancient for a ruckman. In the immediate sense you'd have a good player for 2-3 years, just as the squad came good, and he'd be there to oversee the growth of the 18-21 year old ruckmen. Am I overestimating Jamie's abilities?

While our current ruckstocks are weak I think we have drafted intelligently by picking up ruckmen late or in the rookie draft. It is still early days and you would think between SPencer, Gawn, Fitzy we would have 1 hit by the time our window opens. Johnson and Jamar are not too old either, 1 of them neeeds to step up. Martin will be a handy 3rd option, but won't be anything better.

In terms of what our strategy should be at the next draft I think we should again go for 2 late (or Rookie) prospects.

I think by the end of the year meesen and PJ will be gone,,,if jamar can't become consistent he might be looked at too...would be happy to take an older gun ruckman who's around 28 at the end of the year to provide experience to our junior ruckman.

As far as I am concerned your right in saying that we should go after one of them guys if not another teams number 1 ruckman, but having said that if we were to trade one of our young guns to do this I would not be happy with Charman. Although he is prob there number 1 ruckman in terms of skill I would not be happy giving them one of our future stars with a possible 10 year future for a 28 year old that although very good has had some major body issues and prob only 2-3 years left before the decline. Like I said its good in theory but as far as im concerned he is the wrong choice.

If Charman were to be grabbed , by the time our "Premiership Window " was open, he would be gone or at the least fading!

Not a good option IMO.

We have a few big blokes on our list now. They will all be striving to stay on the list.The best 2 or 3 will remain in 2 years and the others will depart to be replaced with other hopefulls.

I agree, keep the faith in the younger ruckmen.

Russian and a combination of Spencer, Johnson and Martin will keep us going until GAAAWWWWNNNN is up and going.

I really reckon Max Gawn will be the next Aaron Sandilands (Here's hoping).

Max Gawn will be our next Premiership ruckman.

Gippy

I agree, keep the faith in the younger ruckmen.

Russian and a combination of Spencer, Johnson and Martin will keep us going until GAAAWWWWNNNN is up and going.

I really reckon Max Gawn will be the next Aaron Sandilands (Here's hoping).

Max Gawn will be our next Premiership ruckman.

Gippy

I rate Charman, but I wouldnt wanna pick him up now! I think it would be a waste of a trade/pick. I don`t expect us to be a threat until 2012 at the earliest and he could well be past it by then. You`d hope that one of our young fellas will be a better player than him in 2 to 3 years time, with the possibility of being around for another decade!

Neither Brisbane nor MFC are overstocked.

In fact there are still ?? about our rucks. GAWN, Spencer and Fitz are still 2 years away at least from being regular AFL ruckman.

Injuries aside, Meesen and PJ are potentially in their last season. PJ might have the nod over Meesen. But neither are AFL capable.

We need Jamar to be fit and playing.

Give them our 1st rounder next year + a player or 2 for Leuenberger. He has had his battles with injury, but should be a top 5 ruckman for the next 5-8 years.

I agree than Meesen, PJ will not be around next year. Miller may also not, which would allow a resting ruckman to grab a spot up forward.

We have drafted well for ruck stocks, however I would not back my house on any of them being dominant ruckman at AFL level this early on. I would be more inclined to bet it all on Leuenberger who is one of the most impressive young ruckman in the AFL.

Brissie might deal him, they are built to win now, not in a few years time when Leuenberger is in his prime.

I also agree that Charman will be too old by the time this Demons outfit is ready to contend for the flag.

Why would Brisbane trade Leuenberger when Charman is on his last legs?

Given we have taken GAWN and Spencer with Fitzpatrick in the background wouldn't Leuenberger be maturing within the timezome of those aforementioned players. I am not sure I would be paying over the odds for an injury prone ruckman. We seem to have more than enough of those.

Give them our 1st rounder next year + a player or 2 for Leuenberger. He has had his battles with injury, but should be a top 5 ruckman for the next 5-8 years.

I agree than Meesen, PJ will not be around next year. Miller may also not, which would allow a resting ruckman to grab a spot up forward.

We have drafted well for ruck stocks, however I would not back my house on any of them being dominant ruckman at AFL level this early on. I would be more inclined to bet it all on Leuenberger who is one of the most impressive young ruckman in the AFL.

Brissie might deal him, they are built to win now, not in a few years time when Leuenberger is in his prime.

I also agree that Charman will be too old by the time this Demons outfit is ready to contend for the flag.

I believe we have the players to develop in this role as long as we can develop Spencer, Gawn & Fitzpatrick. Agree with other posters that their are strong question marks over PJ, Meeson and Martin as ruckman, but I feel Martin is worth keeping as an interchange for many positions. From what I have seen so far Gawn will be outstanding,the FD feel Spencer will develop as our main ruckman so I do not feel we have a need to go for another ruckman. I feel we need a tall forward- but Martin,Gawn or Fitzpatrick may fill this void. This year is going to tell of us a lot.

Experienced ruckmen seem to be available for trade every year. Depending on how Jamar, Spencer and Gawn go we could well be in the market in 2012. We'd want someone not older than 29 in 2012 so we get a few years through when we start to peak in 2014. We'd want someone mature enough to make an impact and that is often at 25+ for ruckmen. The candidates will already be in the system and aged 23-27 right now - someone industrious could make a list ...

I don't think having 3 ruckmen should be classified as being 'overstocked'. I would say that's a good thing to have at any club.

In Brisbane's case, they could easily play Leuenberger and Charman as ruckmen and send Clark forward. Leuenberger and Charman are coming off injuries, though, so they won't be in peak form for a while yet. They'll have good competition amongst themselves.

As for us, I'm thinking it'll be Jamar + one of Spencer and Johnson for this year and possibly next, until Spencer takes over as number 1 ruckman, and Gawn will eventually join him.

I don't think having 3 ruckmen should be classified as being 'overstocked'. I would say that's a good thing to have at any club.

In Brisbane's case, they could easily play Leuenberger and Charman as ruckmen and send Clark forward. Leuenberger and Charman are coming off injuries, though, so they won't be in peak form for a while yet. They'll have good competition amongst themselves.

As for us, I'm thinking it'll be Jamar + one of Spencer and Johnson for this year and possibly next, until Spencer takes over as number 1 ruckman, and Gawn will eventually join him.

Clark won't fit in a forward line that already has Fev and Brown.

Maybe he'll end up at CHB?

Clark won't fit in a forward line that already has Fev and Brown.

Maybe he'll end up at CHB?

I'm sure they played Clark forward at one stage last year, but maybe Bradshaw wasn't playing those games.

Without Lachie Henderson maybe they will try him in defence. But most likely he'll stay as the no. 1 ruckman and they'll alternate between Charman and Leuenberger.

I'm sure they played Clark forward at one stage last year, but maybe Bradshaw wasn't playing those games.

Without Lachie Henderson maybe they will try him in defence. But most likely he'll stay as the no. 1 ruckman and they'll alternate between Charman and Leuenberger.

Yep. I'd say Charman will get squeezed out for most of the season, decide to leave at season's end and then stay at home and play with GC17.

Leuenberger is only getting better and if its a line-ball decision he'll play every time.

Yep. I'd say Charman will get squeezed out for most of the season, decide to leave at season's end and then stay at home and play with GC17.

Leuenberger is only getting better and if its a line-ball decision he'll play every time.

Clark-Leuenberger would be a pretty damn good ruck duo. Add Brown and Fevola, then Black, Power, Brennan and Rich in the midfield, and the team really starts to look good.

Neither Brisbane nor MFC are overstocked.

Perhaps overstocked isn't the word. I would say though, that they have 3 rucks that have every right to demand a position in their starting 22. Should one get injured, and Voss wants to play 2 every match (as is the modern way of doing things), then it's the perfect amount.

The Leuenberger deal, I don't think, would happen. Unless they were in a crisis and believed they needed to stock up on 1st rounders. I can't see that happening.

As for Charman being on his last legs. Would recruiting him for a bargain basement price (as he may well be going for should he be bumped for Clark and Leuenberger) not be sound as he could bring our window earlier? I'm not amazingly well drilled when it comes to his injury history. Has he had that bad a run with injury that there's no way he's going to survive past 30?

RRs point about being injury prone is the real kicker here as far as I'm concerned. Now (or next year) is not the time to be adding to our injury list.

I've not seen anything (yet) from any of our ruckmen to think they'll make it as stars of the AFL. For Jamar and PJ it's too late for them to be anything more than serviceable, and the kids are, well, kids.

I think the OP was designed more to get people thinking about trading for a top class ruckman at the end of the next couple of seasons. Tough as that may be to do.

Perhaps overstocked isn't the word. I would say though, that they have 3 rucks that have every right to demand a position in their starting 22. Should one get injured, and Voss wants to play 2 every match (as is the modern way of doing things), then it's the perfect amount.

The Leuenberger deal, I don't think, would happen. Unless they were in a crisis and believed they needed to stock up on 1st rounders. I can't see that happening.

As for Charman being on his last legs. Would recruiting him for a bargain basement price (as he may well be going for should he be bumped for Clark and Leuenberger) not be sound as he could bring our window earlier? I'm not amazingly well drilled when it comes to his injury history. Has he had that bad a run with injury that there's no way he's going to survive past 30?

RRs point about being injury prone is the real kicker here as far as I'm concerned. Now (or next year) is not the time to be adding to our injury list.

I've not seen anything (yet) from any of our ruckmen to think they'll make it as stars of the AFL. For Jamar and PJ it's too late for them to be anything more than serviceable, and the kids are, well, kids.

I think the OP was designed more to get people thinking about trading for a top class ruckman at the end of the next couple of seasons. Tough as that may be to do.

No doubt the football department believe that the lack of talls ,in particular an experienced ruckman is currently our weak link.If indeed our mid section really comes on this year, an experienced or buddy ruckman may want to join us.I feel that there are several others that could be considered,if we at the end of this year the FD feel we need to do so. Just maybe we could go after someone like Josh Fraser ,McIntosh of the Kangas or Laycock of Essendon, although hugely promising is very injury prone.Leuenberger seems to be the one of the up and coming young ruckman.Heard tonight that Jack Watts did some ruck training himself.Also,Fitzpatrick, if he can maintain fitness and develop stamina could be very exciting.I just hope Jamar stands up to be counted and has a sensational year allowing our younger brigade to develop at Casey.