Our VCE Boys

Angry_Bird

Its all relative.

59 could be a good score considering the amount of time he dedicated to his studies, due to all the time he invested in footy.

We've all heard the stories about him training on his own, kicking hundreds of shots at goal on the run on his right, because he missed a few at training -- doesn't leave much time for algebra homework.

Not everyone is going to do well enough in their VCE to become an environmental ambassador for Visy!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefan Martin scored 99.7 on VCE, is studyng law, played underage basketball at a national level, and is a great up-n-coming afl footballer.

now there is a guy gong places

Don't you just hate people who are that perfect? :angry: :lol:

(and yes I'm bitter that an AFL player beat my ENTER ;) )

Just to clear up a few uncertainties:

-a 59 ENTER does mean Scully beat 59% of the state, but keep in mind that about 17% of year 12 student will either not last the year or are illiterate.

-At a private school 59 would be in the bottom bracket of marks.

-ENTER and study scores are related to effort much more than natural ability since the subjects aren't overly complicated. My 2 highest study scores came in year 11 , and since I was just about assured of getting into my course of choice at that stage I dropped off in year 12 and my marks reflected that.

59 isn't a great score, but for someone in Scully's position its not a bad result.

Just to clear up a few uncertainties:

-a 59 ENTER does mean Scully beat 59% of the state, but keep in mind that about 17% of year 12 student will either not last the year or are illiterate.

-At a private school 59 would be in the bottom bracket of marks.

-ENTER and study scores are related to effort much more than natural ability since the subjects aren't overly complicated. My 2 highest study scores came in year 11 , and since I was just about assured of getting into my course of choice at that stage I dropped off in year 12 and my marks reflected that.

59 isn't a great score, but for someone in Scully's position its not a bad result.

a 59 ENTER score means the student beat 59% of the students in the state who COMPLETED the VCE. That does not include people who fail VCE or drop out during the year.

I don't care what school he was going to he is not being ranked against his individual classmates, but against the whole state. 59 might be in the bottom rungs of his classmates, but he is also the best footballer at that school, so it trades off a bit.

My point is not that his score was fabulous or anything. It is that the score of 59 represents an above average academic achievement across the state for this years VCE. Given that this student planned on being a professional footballer, NOT an academic, it is a positive result indicating he is most likely not stupid, but somewhere above or around average academically.

Edited by deanox

a 59 ENTER score means the student beat 59% of the students in the state who COMPLETED the VCE. That does not include people who fail VCE or drop out during the year.

I don't care what school he was going to he is not being ranked against his individual classmates, but against the whole state. 59 might be in the bottom rungs of his classmates, but he is also the best footballer at that school, so it trades off a bit.

I'm fairly certain you are still wrong and a score of 59 does not mean you did better than 59% of people who completed VCE.

I'm fairly certain you are still wrong and a score of 59 does not mean you did better than 59% of people who completed VCE.

Sorry Keyser you're wrong, it does mean he did better than 59% of people completing their VCE. I know that when I did my TER, if I had achieved a score of 59 it meant that I performed better than 59% of other students. Having an aunty who currently sits on VCE board of studies recently confirmed that this is still the case.

Achieving a TER of 59 is a bloody good result for T. Scully and he should be very proud of his result. We're not all blessed with the brains to be rocket scientists or neurosurgeon's or achieve a 99 TER, however almost all of us on here aren't also blessed with Tom's athletic and footballing skills. Thankfully Tom's found his way to the Dees!

The fact is there are many students who sit their VCE who do not wish to pursue further/university studies.

For confirmation you could view http://www.tisc.edu.au/tiscguide/about_ter.html#ter_atar

Edited by The O

as someone who just finished, I know how much i hate even my friends talking about my score, and i got a comparatively good score, so really, I don't think our Tom Scullys school achievements are our business to be talking about. Let it go.

FFS the bloke just got a 99.95 TER into the AFL. Who cares a rats clacker what he got in his VCE?

Like the similar thread of Demonology this thread should be locked. It is a complete invasion of privacy IMO.

EDIT: On top of that you have nobs who come and and try and say what is and isn't a good score. How sad can you get?

What he said

My point is not that his score was fabulous or anything. It is that the score of 59 represents an above average academic achievement across the state for this years VCE. Given that this student planned on being a professional footballer, NOT an academic, it is a positive result indicating he is most likely not stupid, but somewhere above or around average academically.

Deano you are spending far too much energy defending the score of 59.... unless you have other reasons. Did you score 59?

It does not really matter as we all know there is no correlation between certain academic achievement and how well a person can play football, obviously.

A 59 ENTER = a person who is relatively bright but did not put the hard yards in when it came to study, still it's not the greatest score.

Edited by Mr Morton

A few comments/observations:

- Still don't know how Jack Watts went

- Sam Blease and school is not something I ever want to hear in the same sentence again - therefore didn't ask about him

- Phil and Brian Goldberg played Melbourne reserves and U19 in the early 90's - Phil was captain of the U19s

Lindsay Fox and Dick Pratt played although only 2nds I think. And I distinctly remember a your Joe Gutnick tearing it up on a wing for the Dees in the mid 70's. Headband, beard and a bit cheeky.

Lindsay Fox and Dick Pratt played although only 2nds I think. And I distinctly remember a your Joe Gutnick tearing it up on a wing for the Dees in the mid 70's. Headband, beard and a bit cheeky.

Lindsay Fox? as in the logistics company guy? he played footy...? in terms of ENTER scores and success theres an interesting case. he's an old boy of my school.

'ENTER' stands for Equivalent National Tertiary Entrance Rank.

It's a ranking used for entrance to tertiary education, primarily for school leavers.

First, if you're not interested in entering tertiary education your rank is irrelevant.

Second, there are plenty of alternative pathways if your ENTER doesn't allow you to gain access to a particular course.

Fwiw, these include taking a couple of university units part-time (OUA has no ENTER requirements) or starting off with a Certificate or Diploma before entering a Degree.

Furthermore, once you're classed as 'mature age' by universities (often this is 21 years) things like the STAT come into play, as well as personal statements, relevant work/life experience, etc.

can you explain how I was wrong?

that is EXACTLY what an ENTER score of 59 means.

I believe the ENTER takes into account the entire population at a particular age, not just those who go on to complete high school.

The average ENTER is in the mid-low 60's.

I'd find a link for you but google is failing me (a bad workman always blames his tools :P).

Deano you are spending far too much energy defending the score of 59.... unless you have other reasons. Did you score 59?

fwiw i cannot remember what score i received but i just graduated from uni with degrees in science and engineering, which as my most recent qualifications are more important than an ENTER score from 6 years ago.

I am not defending a score of 59. What I am defending is any student who didnt get 80's or 90's and are made to feel like they failed by parents/media and morons like those on this site who have no idea how an ENTER score is ranked.

It is a percentile score which means 50 is the average, in a school system where 50 is usually a terrible score. People do not realise this, and unless they do they should not comment on someone elses score.

In this particular case people are paying out on a young kid for getting a score above average across society. Why wouldn't you want to defend him? Are you the sort of person who thinks its ok to pick on others due to ignorance?

I believe the ENTER takes into account the entire population at a particular age, not just those who go on to complete high school.

The average ENTER is in the mid-low 60's.

interesting point about age population, i wasnt aware of that. but how do you work out what score someone who left school would have got? do you just assume they would be the lowest?

from this link: http://www.tisc.edu.au/tiscguide/about_ter.html#ter_atar

What is a TER (ATAR)?

A TER (ATAR) ranges between 99.95 and zero, and reports your rank position relative to all other students. It takes into account the number of students who sit the TEE/WACE examinations in any year and also the number of people of Year 12 school leaving age in the total population.

In 2008 the TEA (Tertiary Entrance Aggregate) replaced the TES (Tertiary Entrance Score). Your TEA will be calculated and then converted to a TER (ATAR), which tells you where you are ranked relative to other students. This will be the same position as a ranking based on your TEA, but the TEA is not able to convey this information directly to you.

If you have a TER (ATAR) of 70.00, for example, it indicates that you are equal to or better than 70% of the Year 12 school leaver age population.