CHANGES 2009: TRADING AND DRAFTING

Demonland

CHANGES 2009: TRADING AND DRAFTING by The Oracle

Nothing ever stands still.

In football, this applies to every aspect of the game and, in particular, to every team's playing list. The best of clubs needs to turn over players every year if they are to keep pace with an ever- changing game. Legendary coach David Parkin used to maintain that even after a premiership year, his aim was to introduce five good new players into his team for the first game of the following season.

For a lowly club like Melbourne which has languished at or near the bottom for the past three seasons, the need for change has been self- evident. In fact, one could well say that the team's very mindset and its performances in 2009 were coloured by the need to secure a lion's share of the best young talent in the country.

So the end result of a difficult year has been the arrival of many new players at the club, all of them going directly onto the senior list.

The club had added seven fresh faces to its playing list with six of these coming via the National Draft where it was well placed to nab some of the country's most talented youngsters. The new arrivals are (in order of draft selection):-

Tom Scully - Date of Birth: 15.05.91 Height: 182 cm Weight: 74 kg (Dandenong Stingrays, Vic)

Left-footer and magnificent gut runner with lightning hands and a brilliant talent who led Vic Metro at the last Under 18 Championships.

Twice All Australian at that level.

2 Jack Trengove - DOB: 02.09.91 Ht: 185 cm Wt: 82 kg (Sturt, SA)

SA Under 18 captain who is superbly fit and has sublime skills.

Matched it with the men in the SANFL finals and also made All Australian.

11 Jordan Gysberts - DOB: 11.06.91 Ht: 189 cm Wt: 83 kg (Eastern Ranges, Vic)

AIS/AFL academy graduate who is a versatile and clever footballer.

Represented Vic Metro at under 18 level in 2008 and 2009.

18 Luke Tapscott - DOB: 28.06.91 Ht: 180 cm Wt: 86 kg (North Adelaide, SA)

Powerfully built on baller who can play back and forward and is a prodigious kick. Made All Australian this year and represented SA under 18s in 2008 and 2009.

34 Max Gawn - DOB 28.11.1991 Ht: 208 cm 104 kg (Sandringham Dragons,

Vic)

Ruck prospect whose 2009 season was interrupted by knee surgery. Still growing.

50 Jack Fitzpatrick - DOB 26.06.1991 Ht: 201 cm 85 kg (Western

Jets, Vic)

An agile tall forward/ruckman who is a good lead and strong mark. Also represented his state at under 18 level over the past two seasons.

Chronic fatigue syndrome has held back his development but he now has it under control.

And the club's Pre Season Draft Selection:-

Joel Macdonald - DOB: 10.10.84 Ht: 188 cm Wt: 88 kg (Brisbane Lions, AFL)

Defender who played almost a full season with the Lions in 2009 and looks ready to fit straight into the Melbourne line up.

The incoming seven replace a number of delisted and retired players as well as one who asked to be traded elsewhere. These were the departures:

Senior List - Simon Buckley (delisted) Brock McLean (traded to Carlton for National Draft selection #11) Russell Robertson (retired) Matthew Whelan (retired) Paul Wheatley (retired)

Rookie List - Shane Valenti (delisted) Trent Zomer (delisted)

A few famous names at the club have gone and while some will leave holes at the club, for one reason or another (mainly injury) none were significant contributors to the cause in 2009. Their experience will be missed but for the most part, it was time to move on.

There was a bit of internal shuffling within the list. Cameron Bruce became a veteran (replacing Robertson on that list) and John Meesen and Michael Newton lost their places on the senior list but were redrafted as rookies. Rookies Jake Spencer and Jordie McKenzie should have been uplifted from the rookie list but showed great loyalty by remaining on as rookies to leave room on the club's primary list and to enable the drafting of additional young talent at the National Draft.

Some of the manoevring of positions came as a result of changes in AFL draft rules such as the introduction of mature age rookies and the third year rookie rule. This brings me to the exception to the rule about nothing ever standing still.

Almost thirty years ago, in the first incarnation of a draft at the then VFL, Melbourne selected a young full back named Danny Hughes from SANFL club Port Adelaide. He came over and had a solid career with the Demons and his namesake is still at the club and on its rookie list.

Daniel Hughes, from the Sandringham Dragons and Sandringham VFL was first rookied at the end of 2005. He played a senior pre season game against the Bulldogs up in Darwin the following year but has yet to make a regular season appearance with the Demons thanks mainly to injuries. He was delisted at the end of 2007 but was back on the list a year later and is still there.

The complete MFC list for 2010 reads as follows:

MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - PLAYING LIST (SEASON

2010)

SENIOR LIST:

Rohan Bail Clint Bartram Matthew Bate Daniel Bell Jamie Bennell Sam Blease Kyle Cheney Aaron Davey Lynden Dunn Jack Fitzpatrick James Frawley Colin Garland Max Gawn Brad Green Jack Grimes Jordan Gysberts Mark Jamar Neville Jetta Paul Johnson Nathan Jones Liam Jurrah Joel Macdonald Tom McNamara Addam Maric Stefan Martin Brad Miller Brent Moloney Cale Morton Ricky Petterd Jared Rivers Tom Scully James Strauss Colin Sylvia Luke Tapscott Jack Trengove Matthew Warnock Jack Watts Austin Wonaeamirri

VETERAN LIST Cameron Bruce James McDonald

ROOKIE LIST:

Rhys Healey Daniel Hughes John Meesen Jordie McKenzie Michael Newton Jake Spencer

The Melbourne Football Club last made the AFL finals series in 2006 when it eliminated St. Kilda before bowing out to Fremantle in a Semi Final at Subiaco. Since then, the club has been through a horror stretch of three barren seasons wracked by injuries and poor form that have produced an average of four victories per year. Below is the club's list at the beginning of that three year period. It serves to demonstrate how an AFL's team list can change over a short period of

time:

MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - PLAYING LIST (SEASON 2007)

SENIOR LIST:

Clint Bartram Matthew Bate Daniel Bell Clint Bizzell Nathan Brown Cameron Bruce Simon Buckley Nathan Carroll Aaron Davey Lynden Dunn Ryan Ferguson James Frawley Colin Garland Simon Godfrey Brad Green Ben Holland Mark Jamar Chris Johnson Paul Johnson Travis Johnstone Nathan Jones James McDonald Brock McLean Brad Miller Brent Moloney Heath Neville Michael Newton Ricky Petterd Byron Pickett Jared Rivers Russell Robertson Colin Sylvia Daniel Ward Matthew Warnock Isaac Weetra Paul Wheatley Matthew Whelan Jeff White

VETERAN LIST:

David Neitz Adem Yze

ROOKIE LIST:

Jace Bode Daniel Hayes Daniel Hughes Shane Neaves

It's still a while before we get the opportunity to sight any Melbourne players in action on a footy field. I'm not sure whether there will be a Darwin Indigenous All Stars game this year (if there is, then rest assured, you'll see some Demons on the field that night). Otherwise, the AFL action will take off soon after in February in the NAB Cup pre season series. One hopes that this year we'll see more of boys in the red and the blue in action and performing at a higher level than in recent times. Perhaps a change of luck and an appearance in September?

Then who knows what other changes might take place over the ensuing two or three years? We might even end up witnessing the sight in this photograph allegedly taken by this time traveller who recently returned to earth:

tren.jpg

(courtesy of MFCnow)

Now that certainly would mark a change!

Here's the full list of today's draft selections:

2010 NAB AFL PRE-SEASON DRAFT

1. Melbourne Joel Macdonald Brisbane Lions

2. Richmond Dylan Grimes Northern Knights

3. Fremantle Adam McPhee Essendon

4. Sydney Swans Daniel Bradshaw Brisbane Lions

5. West Coast Eagles Ryan Neates Claremont

6. Port Adelaide Scott Harding Brisbane Lions

7. Essendon Kyle Hardingham East Fremantle

2010 NAB AFL Rookie Draft

Round 1

1. Gold Coast Daniel Harris North Melbourne

2. Gold Coast Michael Coad Sturt

3. Gold Coast Sam Iles Box Hill Hawks

4. Gold Coast Roland Ah Chee Norwood

5. Gold Coast Daniel Stanley Collingwood

6. Melbourne Michael Newton Melbourne

7. Richmond Robert Hicks Calder Cannons

8. Fremantle Michael Barlow Werribee

9. North Melbourne Majak Daw Western Jets

10. Sydney Swans Henry Playfair Sydney Swans

11. West Coast Eagles Lewis Broome Claremont

12. Port Adelaide Cameron Hitchcock Glenelg

13. Hawthorn Wayde Skipper Western Bulldogs

14. Essendon Taite Silverlock West Adelaide

15. Carlton Jaryd Cachia Northern Knights

16. Brisbane Lions Mitchell Golby Gippsland Power

17. Adelaide Luke Thompson Geelong Falcons

18. Collingwood Thomas Hunter Calder Cannons

19. Western Bulldogs Brodie Moles Geelong

20. St Kilda Mark Hutchings East Perth

21. Geelong Cats Jack Weston Gippsland Power

Round 2

22. Melbourne John Meesen Melbourne

23. Richmond Pat Contin Glenelg

24. Fremantle Alex Silvagni Casey Scorpions

25. North Melbourne Matthew Scott Eastern Ranges

26. Sydney Swans Pass

27. West Coast Eagles Andrew Strijk West Perth

28. Port Adelaide Daniel Webb West Adelaide

29. Hawthorn Jarrod Kayler-Thomson Perth

30. Essendon Ben Howlett Peel Thunder

31. Carlton Joseph Dare Geelong Falcons

32. Brisbane Lions Josh Dyson Eastern Ranges

33. Adelaide Matthew Wright North Adelaide

34. Collingwood Jack Carter West Adelaide

35. Western Bulldogs Andrew Hooper North Ballarat Rebels

36. St Kilda Daniel Archer Clarence

37. Geelong Cats Ben Johnson Geelong (VFL)

Round 3

38. Richmond Relton Roberts Northern Territory

39. Sydney Swans Pass

40. West Coast Eagles Ashton Hams South Fremantle

41. Port Adelaide Cameron Cloke Carlton

42. Hawthorn (NSW Scholarship) Michael Johnston East Coast Eagles

43. Essendon Stewart Crameri Bendigo Bombers

44. Carlton Levi Casboult Dandenong Stingrays

45. Brisbane Lions Pass

46. Adelaide Matthew Jaensch Sturt

47. Collingwood (International) Seamus McNamara Milwaukee, USA

48. Western Bulldogs Matthew Panos Norwood

49. St Kilda Jarryd Allen St Kilda

50. Geelong Cats James Podsiadly Geelong (VFL)

Round 4

51. Richmond Nicholas Westhoff West Adelaide

52. Sydney Swans Pass

53. West Coast Eagles Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls Richmond

54. Port Adelaide Glenn Dawson Port Adelaide

55. Essendon Marcus Marigliani Frankston

56. Carlton Simon White Subiaco

57. Brisbane Lions Pass

58. Adelaide (NSW Scholarship) Aiden Riley Wollongong Lions

59. Western Bulldogs Eddie Prato Maryborough

60. St Kilda Leigh Fisher St Kilda

61. Geelong Cats Jesse Stringer Port Adelaide Magpies

Round 5

62. Richmond Graham Polak Richmond

63. Sydney Swans (International) Chris McKaigue County Derry, Ireland

64. Port Adelaide (3 year Non-Reg) Daniel Bass non-registered

65. Essendon John Williams Essendon

66. Carlton Joshua Donaldson West Perth

67. Brisbane Lions (International) Nial McKeever County Antrim, Ireland

68. Western Bulldogs Patrick Rose Williamstown

69. St Kilda (International) Tommy Walsh County Kerry, Ireland

Round 6

70. Richmond (International) Jamie O'Reilly County Down, Ireland

71. Sydney Swans (NSW Scholarship) Nathan Gordon East Coast Eagles

72. Port Adelaide (NSW Scholarship) Jordon Johns Broken Hill

73. Carlton (International) Zach Tuohy County Laois, Ireland

74. Brisbane Lions (*QLD Pre Selection) Sean Yoshiura Mt Gravatt

Round 7

75. Sydney Swans (*NSW Pre Selection) Dylan McNeil Murray Bushrangers

76. Brisbane Lions (*QLD Pre Selection) Claye Beams Labrador

Round 8

77. Sydney Swans (*NSW Pre Selection) Pass

78. Brisbane Lions (*QLD Pre Selection) Broc McCauley Southport

Great thread- interesting to note that 23 players have changed from 2007 list to 2010 list. I believe the current list looks stronger through its versatility & strength.

Edited by jayceebee31

Great thread- interesting to note that 23 players have changed from 2007 list to 2010 list. I believe the current list looks stronger through its versatility & strength.

I must say that not only do I agree with this proposition but I would add that most of the incoming changes are quality footballers. If we end up getting the best out of new faces I think we will go places. It might take 2-3 years or more but our football department has acted in just the right time. Unless you're GC17 or GWS you have no chance of filling gaps in your list for the next few years.

Guest hangon007

Sensational post that brings tears to my eyes. What a future!!

I've barracked for this club with all my heart for over 30 years now ... at last I believe again that the ultimate "dream" is possible.

Its a grand old flag a high flying flag the emblem for me and for you.

Our time is coming closer ... now we must unite as one and make this once great club great again.

Go Dees!!!

Sensational post that brings tears to my eyes. What a future!! I've barracked for this club with all my heart for over 30 years now ... at last I believe again that the ultimate "dream" is possible. Its a grand old flag a high flying flag the emblem for me and for you. Our time is coming closer ... now we must unite as one and make this once great club great again. Go Dees!!!
Aren't we already united ?

Guest hangon007
Aren't we already united ?

Not yet my friend we have many "older" followers who have yet to rejoin us.

Once we get to 40,000-45,000 members .... then we will be safe again.

Dont me mistaken this forum is more representative of our "youth" & our "passionate" ... not our missing era.

All are welcome to join us!

Now that our list is finalised for 2010, this is the age break up for our entire squad of 46 (ie including the rookies) for the ages of players ending this calendar year:

Teenagers (16) 34.8%

20 - 24 (19) 41.3%

25 - 29 (9) 19.6%

30+ (2) 4.3%

In itself it doesn't give too much insight however I keep a notepad file and update it every year and the changes in distribution have been massive. Going from a top end list at the end of 2006, we now have 3/4s of our list at under 25 going into next year and significantly (as others have said) most of this pool is quality/quality prospects brought to the club who were chosen with purpose.

Edited by 1858

Congratulations on the outstanding list management. I look at the rookie list and think that we have the possibility of 'elevating rookies' of some potential quality (McKenzie, Spencer) if the draft pickings are slim in 2010, the GC eating up many of the early picks. This was excellent forward planning, and well done to the boys to see that this was the option that would serve them and the the team the best.

Good luck to Meesen and Newton. The boot is really on your necks, now. Time to step up, or step off.

Roll on 2010!!!! Go Dees!!!

It's still a while before we get the opportunity to sight any Melbourne players in action on a footy field. I'm not sure whether there will be a Darwin Indigenous All Stars game this year (if there is, then rest assured, you'll see some Demons on the field that night). Otherwise, the AFL action will take off soon after in February in the NAB Cup pre season series. One hopes that this year we'll see more of boys in the red and the blue in action and performing at a higher level than in recent times. Perhaps a change of luck and an appearance in September?

Does anyone know if there's going to be an indigenous game up in Darwin next year. Might be inclined to head up there if they have one.