The reason we invested in our midfield!

sylvinator

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's no point in taking a KPP just for the sake of it. When you have a look and the kind of KPP that have been taken from 6-25 in recent years you'll notice that the failure rate is pretty damn high (I'll ignore last 3 years because they haven't had time to develop yet. I've also bolded the KP forwards):

2006:

#6 - Mitch Thorp (Haw)

#8 - Ben Reid (Coll)

#10 - Nathan Brown (Coll)

#11 - Andrejs Everitt (WB)

#24 - Brent Renouf (Haw)

2005:

#6 - Beau Dowler (Haw)

#7 - Patrick Ryder (Ess)

#18 - Max Bailey (Haw)

#24 - Cleve Hughes (Rich)

2004:

#6 - Tom Williams (WB)

#8 - John Meesen (Adel)

#16 - Adam Pattison (Rich)

#17 - Cameron Wood (Bris)

#19 - Ryan Willits (PA)

#23 - Sean Rusling (Coll)

2003:

#6 - Kepler Bradley (Ess)

#12 - Ryan Murphy (Frem)

#14 - Fergus Watts (Adel)

#17 - Billy Morrison (Coll)

#18 - Llane Spaanderman (Bris)

#24 - Chad Jones (NM)

2002:

#9 - Hamish McIntosh (NM)

#10 - Jason Laycock (Ess)

#12 - Jay Schulz (Rich)

#15 - Nicholas Smith (Melb)

#20 - Will Minson (WB)

#21 - Bo Nixon (Coll)

#23 - Tom Lonergan (Geel)

#24 - Paul Johnson (WC)

Not too many world-beaters there, particularly with regards to KP forwards - doesn't bode well for Butcher, Talia or Black. So best to go for best available early in the draft, imho. You can draft for specific needs with later picks.

Good post JP

Yeah, there's no point in taking a KPP just for the sake of it. When you have a look and the kind of KPP that have been taken from 6-25 in recent years you'll notice that the failure rate is pretty damn high (I'll ignore last 3 years because they haven't had time to develop yet. I've also bolded the KP forwards):

2006:

#6 - Mitch Thorp (Haw)

#8 - Ben Reid (Coll)

#10 - Nathan Brown (Coll)

#11 - Andrejs Everitt (WB)

#24 - Brent Renouf (Haw)

2005:

#6 - Beau Dowler (Haw)

#7 - Patrick Ryder (Ess)

#18 - Max Bailey (Haw)

#24 - Cleve Hughes (Rich)

2004:

#6 - Tom Williams (WB)

#8 - John Meesen (Adel)

#16 - Adam Pattison (Rich)

#17 - Cameron Wood (Bris)

#19 - Ryan Willits (PA)

#23 - Sean Rusling (Coll)

2003:

#6 - Kepler Bradley (Ess)

#12 - Ryan Murphy (Frem)

#14 - Fergus Watts (Adel)

#17 - Billy Morrison (Coll)

#18 - Llane Spaanderman (Bris)

#24 - Chad Jones (NM)

2002:

#9 - Hamish McIntosh (NM)

#10 - Jason Laycock (Ess)

#12 - Jay Schulz (Rich)

#15 - Nicholas Smith (Melb)

#20 - Will Minson (WB)

#21 - Bo Nixon (Coll)

#23 - Tom Lonergan (Geel)

#24 - Paul Johnson (WC)

Not too many world-beaters there, particularly with regards to KP forwards - doesn't bode well for Butcher, Talia or Black. So best to go for best available early in the draft, imho. You can draft for specific needs with later picks.

It's pretty damning.....good post. Patty Ryder was a good one.

It's pretty damning.....good post. Patty Ryder was a good one.

Just goes to show that, surprise surprise, our recruiting dept did their homework and knew what they were doing going into the draft.

As we should expect they would.

Two pressing areas remain in my opinion as the Dees develop this premiership unit.

1) A full back in the Matt Scarlett mold. Frawley has the ability but not quite the height needed for this role and I'm still not full convinced Warnock can take his game to that A-grade level. I hope he proves me wrong but I was surprised we didn't call out Talia's name at 11 for this reason as that kid has the potential to develop into a top line key on the last line of defence.

2) Another 195cm mobile ruckman with genuine skill (in the Paddy Ryder mold) who can go forward and kick goals. Stefan Martin may be our man there and hopefully Fitzpatrick develops into this sort of player. But neither are certainties at this stage.

All other areas on the ground are covered but I do believe we need to unearth a couple of KPP's as just described.

Two pressing areas remain in my opinion as the Dees develop this premiership unit.

1) A full back in the Matt Scarlett mold. Frawley has the ability but not quite the height needed for this role and I'm still not full convinced Warnock can take his game to that A-grade level. I hope he proves me wrong but I was surprised we didn't call out Talia's name at 11 for this reason as that kid has the potential to develop into a top line key on the last line of defence.

2) Another 195cm mobile ruckman with genuine skill (in the Paddy Ryder mold) who can go forward and kick goals. Stefan Martin may be our man there and hopefully Fitzpatrick develops into this sort of player. But neither are certainties at this stage.

All other areas on the ground are covered but I do believe we need to unearth a couple of KPP's as just described.

No, Frawley is the man for the job. For starters, Scarlett is 192cm and 94kg, Frawley is 193cm and last weighed at 91kg although i would be guessing more by now.

But for me, more exciting than the great run and carry he displays, the quality kicks that hit a player on the chest far more often than not is his actual one on one work which is arguably his weak point atm. When he is getting beaten he doesn't to quote one of my favourite commentators 'drop his chutney' he analyzes the situation and reels his opponent back in. He learns. Add the amount of development years Scarlett had before he was as good as he is now and I think Frawley will be every bit as good if not better.

No, Frawley is the man for the job. For starters, Scarlett is 192cm and 94kg, Frawley is 193cm and last weighed at 91kg although i would be guessing more by now.

But for me, more exciting than the great run and carry he displays, the quality kicks that hit a player on the chest far more often than not is his actual one on one work which is arguably his weak point atm. When he is getting beaten he doesn't to quote one of my favourite commentators 'drop his chutney' he analyzes the situation and reels his opponent back in. He learns. Add the amount of development years Scarlett had before he was as good as he is now and I think Frawley will be every bit as good if not better.

Our defence lacks aggression.

One of the things that Scarlett brings to the Cats, apart from just being a good footballer, Is Physicality & Intimidation.

Only Warnock shows some bravado. We need to get better in this area as our boys get bigger. in 4 - 5 seasons when we may well be around top 2 area, (hopefully), Warnock & Rivers will be close to the end. We'll need to recruit, in 2011, another key defender or 2.

One of the things that Scarlett brings to the Cats, apart from just being a good footballer, Is Physicality & Intimidation.

Only Warnock shows some bravado. We need to get better in this area as our boys get bigger. in 4 - 5 seasons when we may well be around top 2 area, (hopefully), Warnock & Rivers will be close to the end. We'll need to recruit, in 2011, another key defender or 2.

Rivers and Frawley hold their own, Rivers dishes out more than he receives truth be told.

All good defenders need to be able to play physical one on one football. Warnock, Garland and Frawley fulfill those roles.

Scarlett intimidates because not only is defensively a strong accountable defender but because he counterattacks so effectively and exploits opposition forwards who have little defensive pressure.

Those calling for greater phyiscality and intimidation must be scratching their collective heads why Nathan Carroll is not playing AFL football.

Defence is the least of worries at present.

All good defenders need to be able to play physical one on one football. Warnock, Garland and Frawley fulfill those roles.

Scarlett intimidates because not only is defensively a strong accountable defender but because he counterattacks so effectively and exploits opposition forwards who have little defensive pressure.

Those calling for greater phyiscality and intimidation must be scratching their collective heads why Nathan Carroll is not playing AFL football.

Defence is the least of worries at present.

You keep twisting things around to suit your own thoughts.

Your perception of what I was suggesting is off.

I was suggesting both playing & physical intimidation, not like Carrolls, but like how Scarlett goes about it. How he had thew wood on Neitz.

You keep twisting things around to suit your own thoughts.

Your perception of what I was suggesting is off.

I was suggesting both playing & physical intimidation, not like Carrolls, but like how Scarlett goes about it. How he had thew wood on Neitz.

I doubt Neitz was physically intimidated by any footballer let alone Scarlett. Scarlett used to beat Neitz most times because he was a better one on one player than him and would run off him to counterattack.

So your "physical intimidation" issue is non existent. Scarlett a hard defender's game and plays it far better than most. This is not to say that Warnock, Frawley and Rivers dont play it. They just are not in the same class as Scarlett who with Fletcher would be the best defender I have seen this decade.

Guest hellter skelter

go down to training and check frawley out, hes a competitive beast, hes arms and shoulders are huge, i cant wait to watch him play over the nxt 10 yrs, he exites more than any other player on our list.

go down to training and check frawley out, hes a competitive beast, hes arms and shoulders are huge, i cant wait to watch him play over the nxt 10 yrs, he exites more than any other player on our list.

I'd have to agree with that... although he is equal most exciting along with a few others.

Will be a beast... if he isn't already.

I doubt Neitz was physically intimidated by any footballer let alone Scarlett. Scarlett used to beat Neitz most times because he was a better one on one player than him and would run off him to counterattack.

So your "physical intimidation" issue is non existent. Scarlett a hard defender's game and plays it far better than most. This is not to say that Warnock, Frawley and Rivers dont play it. They just are not in the same class as Scarlett who with Fletcher would be the best defender I have seen this decade.

Doubt all you like, I witnessed it on a few occaisions. He's only one man. Everyone gets intimidated at some stages or other.

Scarlett got the wood on him.

I've seen Frawley, he's not so huge, but he's filling out nicely. I'm not referring to their size alone but their aggression @ the ball & the man. I'm not saying our boys don't have the capacity to be intimidating, but rather they must develop that into their game.

PS: I've never been off the Frawley bandwagon.

Doubt all you like, I witnessed it on a few occaisions. He's only one man. Everyone gets intimidated at some stages or other.

So have I. Scarlett is a premium footballer and has beaten Neitz on a number of occasions.

But physical intimidation....please.

Scarlett does not need to take that cheap route the way he plays.

Guest hellter skelter

neitz was never intimidated, scarlett mite have the wood on him ,but intimidation, the guy kicked 650 goals, was AA CHB , he won a coleman medal, pull your head in. :wacko: