Forward Thinking

rpfc

Forward make-up?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming that the first 5 picked for the forward line are Bate, Sylvia, Jurrah, Green, and Wonaeamirri (as I believe we could almost all agree on) - who would be the last two 'forward players' to make the 22?

I'm also taking out Morton, Martin, and Davey as variables as they will be in the 22 but not, most likely, as 'forward players' per se. I am also removing Dunn and Newton because I have made a judgement call that they would not get a look in.

And I am well aware that Pick 11 may change things, I am also aware that it may not.

I am more than willing to alter the poll if sane reasons present themselves.

I understand we are going over ground already covered - I am just keen to see the level of desire for Miller as opposed to Watts, or the desire for both. Or neither...

Edited by rpfc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on his lead up to the start of the season, we really need to get Watts on the park and get experience into him. No excuses now. By then he will have his studies behind him and all focus on football.

I'm getting goosebumps again.

Gippy

Edited by Gippy Dee

I know it's early, but I am little surprised at the level of faith in Miller.

I chose Miller and Watts, but was very close to Petterd and Watts.

I wonder if posters choosing Miller are doing so because they see him as a protector of Watts?

Does he need it?

Is Miller capable of protecting him?

What would it involve?

Interesting...

Edited by rpfc

I know it's early, but I am little surprised at the level of faith in Miller.

I chose Miller and Watts, but was very close to Petterd and Watts.

I wonder if posters choosing Miller are doing so because they see him as a protector of Watts?

Does he need it?

Is Miller capable of protecting him?

What would it involve?

Interesting...

i've read much your talking on miller and watts,,,in other posts...jack watts is a number 1 draft pick,,,jack seems like the kinda guy who likes to stand on his own two feet.

jack is not going to need protecting.

Won't turn this into an argument about the 5 base forwards.

I've gone with Watts and Petterd. Petterd worries me, I rate him but I wonder if he's a jack of all trades master of none. However, I do especially like him in the forwardline though he can get bogged there a bit if he's/we're not having a good day.

Watts in my view simply must be played next year as much as possible.

From what I've seen from Maric, he looks a bit keen to go for goal/get the ball off asap. I think it'd be good for him to have a look down the ground and take a bit of time.

Jetta is not a forward IMO and Miller I don't think should be first choice with the way our forwardline is shaping.

No Newton?

Won't turn this into an argument about the 5 base forwards.

I've gone with Watts and Petterd. Petterd worries me, I rate him but I wonder if he's a jack of all trades master of none. However, I do especially like him in the forwardline though he can get bogged there a bit if he's/we're not having a good day.

Watts in my view simply must be played next year as much as possible.

From what I've seen from Maric, he looks a bit keen to go for goal/get the ball off asap. I think it'd be good for him to have a look down the ground and take a bit of time.

Jetta is not a forward IMO and Miller I don't think should be first choice with the way our forwardline is shaping.

No Newton?

Bahaha... As if he's an option...

Gippy

IMO Aaron Davey should be played forward of centre as this is where he does the most damage to the opposition though run , carry and normally accurate disposal

He is wasted in the backline

Next season we want to win games and getting the ball into the forward 50 more than last year is a given

Bailey talks about us being competitive so to do that we need players who can create scoring opportunities in positions they are able to

I chose Watts for his speed, one grab marking and set shot kicking

The other forward i chose is Maric

i've read much your talking on miller and watts,,,in other posts...jack watts is a number 1 draft pick,,,jack seems like the kinda guy who likes to stand on his own two feet.

jack is not going to need protecting.

I would like to see those posts because my view is far from that. I believe if Miller is to play it is because his form warrants it, I do not want to see the MFC give people games because another player is too weak to stand on their own two feet.

I have no doubt that Jack Watts is a capable young man who can deal with the burden that is about to be thrust upon him, but at the moment Brad Miller, with his confidence up, would command a spot in our forward line.

I hope to see Green spend a lot of time up forward next season, but can't see him starting there in round one (your poll suggestion).

I also don't see Newton as anywhere near first 22 at the moment.

I hope to see Green spend a lot of time up forward next season, but can't see him starting there in round one (your poll suggestion).

I also don't see Newton as anywhere near first 22 at the moment.

I want to get Bruce, Green, and Junior out of the middle in 2010. Bruce and Junior to play the roles they played in the last half dozen games of 09 in the backline and Green to play in the forward line.

We will see...

I still dont get ho any consider green to be a FF or such ...hes easily out sized by a decent backman ( and was when trialed in this manner ) .. Hes a good 6 inch too short for a KPP. he could have played second fiddle but with the likes of Jurrah to back up Watts then you need another stonger bodied type in there. Brad could play as a HFF but what a waste of talent. Rotating him through there a a resting forward of sorts might warrant a go. As a KPP you need the likes of Bate, Martin ( still raw yes ) and dare I say it Miller. Frosty can only play as a lead up CHF and this might well work with decent talent closer to goal

something thing like

Wonna Watts Maric

Jurrah Miller Petterd

if not Miller then Bate or Martin

Guest Watts=Saviour

Wouldn't be suprised if Watts had a year in defence, running of half back or playing on the wing. Might not go forward untill strong enough.

In saying that, I'll be going of my nut with every goal the kid kicks :)

I like Petterd as a forward, and I think Melbourne would've given Miller the boot if they have no itention of playing him, so I think he'll be up there to add some experience.

I can't see green going forward.

As for newton...not up to it.

I still dont get ho any consider green to be a FF or such ...hes easily out sized by a decent backman ( and was when trialed in this manner ) .. Hes a good 6 inch too short for a KPP. he could have played second fiddle but with the likes of Jurrah to back up Watts then you need another stonger bodied type in there. Brad could play as a HFF but what a waste of talent. Rotating him through there a a resting forward of sorts might warrant a go. As a KPP you need the likes of Bate, Martin ( still raw yes ) and dare I say it Miller. Frosty can only play as a lead up CHF and this might well work with decent talent closer to goal

something thing like

Wonna Watts Maric

Jurrah Miller Petterd

if not Miller then Bate or Martin

If not Miller then Bate or Martin?? Bate is just about the only one of those mentioned that will DEFINITELY be one of the 6 forwards in round 1. And jurrah of course :D

If not Miller then Bate or Martin?? Bate is just about the only one of those mentioned that will DEFINITELY be one of the 6 forwards in round 1. And jurrah of course :D

you base that on ?? curious /...seriously...inside knowledge ?

Watts will be out there...why wouldnt he be.. he needs to get games in him and strangely enough theres only one way to do that !! :rolleyes:

Maric will play mainly in the pocket til his engine builds.. he was only played around the ground as it suited our experimental policies of the time :unsure: and it didnt hurt him any to learn some more craft. he is an ideal forward goal sneak.

Martin has already shown he has some ability up the sharp end... why not build on it ? Petterd is quite handy on flanks..gets lost in pockets.. Wonna is not a mid..nor a back...only leaves the front really .

Miller can play a lead up forward... it was just that for a long while he had no one really to kick it to...now he has :)

IMO Wonaeamirri is not a definite starter (even if fit) and he will have to earn his spot. Also one of Miller, PJ or Martin has to play in the forward line to give us some structure. Otherwise Watts will get the best defender which he won’t be able to handle. (And I think Watts really needs to play in the AFL for the sake of his development.) For me its:

Green, Sylvia, Miller, Bate, Jurrah, Watts and one (or two) of Wonaeamirri, Maric and Bleese depending on form.

I would also like to see us try a structure whereby pretty much all the forwards push well up the ground except for Jurrah.

I also think Dunn has a lot more potential than most posters give him credit for and should be in the mix for an early game given his end of season form and versatility (although probably not as a permanent forward).

Bailey has often said that he wants to get games into the young blokes 'together'. I wonder if he will also get them playing in the positions he thinks they'll eventually fill, straight away.

e.g. Playing Watts down back would not really help to fine tune the forward line into what it will eventually be, particularly if Watts is going to be the/a key target. I imagine it will take some time for the forward line to learn where to run to and get a feel for each other's games.

I can't believe I'm reading this bloody site every day and it's October FCS! I am so pumped about the upcoming year. I want to see us make the eight. Just get at least one final into the younglings. I think it's possible...

I think for the most part you have to discount what we've seen in terms of positions played, especially in the 'experimental' phase and expect a much more normal approach to set ups.

Watts may well play CHF instead of FF.. they may put Frosty in the square to attract a more seasoned defender etc. Probably Bate a better fit there then.

I cant see us coming out playing strange footy any more :rolleyes:

BB59 - I am absolutley astounded that Bate isn't in your first choice forward line.

The presence of Green in the forward line is a prognostication of mine (I believe well educated), but the fact that Bate was our best forward in 2009 is a righteous fact above all argument to the contrary.

He will be a starting HFF or CHF in 2010, of that I have no doubt. 24 goals and 26 assists were his returns, second in both to Robertson and Davey respectively.

He is a very good player.