• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Forward Thinking

rpfc

Forward make-up?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Watts=Saviour
Watts was one forward picked amongst six midfielders/half-back flankers. Hence the "only". Remembering that Jurrah was not on our radar at this time. My comment does not infer a lack of talent as you clumisily suggest.

As you rightly suggest, our midfield was was lacking this time last year. But to spend five of six picks to fix it is what I am questioning. We equally lacked quality forwards and perhaps failed to capitalise in a draft that provided many more potential forward/ruck options than we knew the 2009 draft would.

Unlike wanting to present gospel like so many around here, I am posing a question rather that attempting to impose my opinion as fact.

I know you didn't say they lacked talent, but to say we only picked up Watts and Jurrah...well, that's a pretty big only.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE POLL ANALYSIS

I think we have a decent cross-section of anonymous MFC posters as it stands. I doubt results will change much in the near future.

The findings:

57% believe Green will play predominantly in the forward line.

80% do not see Newton as close to selection Rd 1 all things being equal (no injuries).

83% want Watts to start 2010 in the AFL.

46% want Petterd to start 2010 in the forward line.

40% want Miller to start 2010 in the forward line.

22% want Maric to start 2010 in the forward line.

There is a definitive 6 that we see as our forward line:

Sylvia Bate Watts

Wonaeamirri Jurrah Green

With Petterd and Miller fighting for a spot on the bench.

Sylvia will have a run in the middle, as will Green I am sure, and, possibly, Bate.

Trengove (possible centreman), from all reports, can take a mark, so he will rotate through the forward line. I suspect that Jamar (possible 1st ruck) and Martin (possible back-up ruck) will spend some time in there as well, and Davey (possible wingman) will drift forward.

THE POLL ANALYSIS

I think we have a decent cross-section of anonymous MFC posters as it stands. I doubt results will change much in the near future.

The findings:

57% believe Green will play predominantly in the forward line.

80% do not see Newton as close to selection Rd 1 all things being equal (no injuries).

83% want Watts to start 2010 in the AFL.

46% want Petterd to start 2010 in the forward line.

40% want Miller to start 2010 in the forward line.

22% want Maric to start 2010 in the forward line.

Sylvia Bate Watts

Wonaeamirri Jurrah Green

With Petterd and Miller fighting for a spot on the bench.

Sylvia will have a run in the middle, as will Green I am sure, and, possibly, Bate.

Trengove (possible centreman), from all reports, can take a mark, so he will rotate through the forward line. I suspect that Jamar (possible 1st ruck) and Martin (possible back-up ruck) will spend some time in there as well, and Davey (possible wingman) will drift forward.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Watts spend some time on the backline next year. Melbourne may develop him like Hurley at Essendon. It would also give Garland a chance to go forward. If Davey spends more time drifting forward next year (good move - he only kicked 9 goals in 2009) then there is a vacancy on the backline for a mobile midflielder who can kick the footy. Perhaps Maric could fill this role if he has a good pre-season.

Sylvia Bate Watts

Wonaeamirri Jurrah Green

Its missing a big man so I cannot see us lining up like that just yet. Like it or not I think Miller has to play and people may be jumping the gun a bit thinking we can get by without him or someone of similar size out there. Bate is great playing as a medium forward, dont like him as a focal point though.

Good exercise.

Its missing a big man so I cannot see us lining up like that just yet. Like it or not I think Miller has to play and people may be jumping the gun a bit thinking we can get by without him or someone of similar size out there. Bate is great playing as a medium forward, dont like him as a focal point though.

Good exercise.

Miller might shade Petterd into the 7th spot that is for sure, but what use would Miller be if he is out of form?

Jamar or Martin can provide a target and create a spill, and I mention them because they will most likely be the rucks at the start of the year. They will rotate through the forward line.

Bate can play CHF, but not with the delivery that our midfield has given over the past few years to the forward line. But I would say it would be best if Miller played CHF in 2010, but sometimes we don't get exactly what we want.

Miller would barely shade Newton. Petterd is a very underrated footballer. We don't need Miller never have never will.

Petterd is a better footballer, of that I have no doubt, but Miller at his best can hold down CHF, and Petterd plays a different role.

It's all moot is Miller is out of form, as I said.

Some useless info in regards to the whole KPF type.

There is nothing to say that they have to be around that 195cm mark. Brendan Fevola is 191cm, but has a big body (100kg). Regardless of how much of a d!ck he is, he's in the top 3 KPF in the league.

I think we could really get away with Green on a HFF, Jurrah in a pocket, Miller at CHF and Stef Martin at FF. The thing I have serious issues with is the fact that the top sides have great defenders. It would mean our key match ups could potentially be Martin vs Scarlett, Miller vs Harry Taylor, etc. This doesn't give me much confidence in our ability to kick a big enough score against the elite teams. Hence my posts in the Draft/Trade section about us having a crack at Bradshaw.

Some useless info in regards to the whole KPF type.

There is nothing to say that they have to be around that 195cm mark. Brendan Fevola is 191cm, but has a big body (100kg). Regardless of how much of a d!ck he is, he's in the top 3 KPF in the league.

I think we could really get away with Green on a HFF, Jurrah in a pocket, Miller at CHF and Stef Martin at FF. The thing I have serious issues with is the fact that the top sides have great defenders. It would mean our key match ups could potentially be Martin vs Scarlett, Miller vs Harry Taylor, etc. This doesn't give me much confidence in our ability to kick a big enough score against the elite teams. Hence my posts in the Draft/Trade section about us having a crack at Bradshaw.

I think that's a good observation. My counter is that with KPPs accounted for, the presence of Jurrah, Petterd, Wonna etc would make our forward line hard to hold. When Bailey switches from 'experimenting' with players' positions, I think we'll find guys like Jurrah can kick bags. Sh!t, we used to have Farmer as our #1 goal kicking forward. Footy's about how many guys can you honestly cover before another pops up!

I also liked your comment about Fevola's height and weight... I think the door's open for any type of forward line, irrespective of make up. We just need enough goal kicking options, and whatever an opposition backline can cover, we'll have a couple free to kick the goals.

Edit was for incorrect usage of an apostrophy.

Edited by Barry Dawson

Just on the forward set-up. I'm wondering if anyone has the same thoughts as I do with regard to Cale Morton spending time in the forward line ? Yes, I do see him as part of the midfield, but not entirely. He has the height to provide a tall KP option ie. CHF. Just a thought.

Morton forward line ? what as ....... a point post ????? :rolleyes:

Just on the forward set-up. I'm wondering if anyone has the same thoughts as I do with regard to Cale Morton spending time in the forward line ? Yes, I do see him as part of the midfield, but not entirely. He has the height to provide a tall KP option ie. CHF. Just a thought.

I definitely think that should and will happen. His thumb/finger operation was for exactly that reason. He has been marking in pain and still doing a pretty decent job of it. He is a tidy shot at goal and a tricky 'tall' to match up on due to his floating, ambling sideways style of cutting in front of packs. Shouldn't play out whole games there but should definitely rest regularly up forward. Particularly if a spare man in defense is giving us trouble, he should be (along with Petterd depending on the player) the 'defensive forward' option in my mind.

I definitely think that should and will happen. His thumb/finger operation was for exactly that reason. He has been marking in pain and still doing a pretty decent job of it. He is a tidy shot at goal and a tricky 'tall' to match up on due to his floating, ambling sideways style of cutting in front of packs. Shouldn't play out whole games there but should definitely rest regularly up forward. Particularly if a spare man in defense is giving us trouble, he should be (along with Petterd depending on the player) the 'defensive forward' option in my mind.

Morton himself recently said words to the effect that his destiny as a key position player is on the cards

He's a lovely shot on goal

Edited by Curry & Beer

I suppose it is his build that reminds me of Robert Murphy of the Bulldogs, but I see some correlation between the two where they can be creative within the midfield and yet be dangerous up forward using the skills to great effect. Murphy played alot from the midfield early in his career, now he is used more up forward and has bulked up considerably since he first started his career.

You did. A little later than others. Cough...Post #5...cough.

But until he puts some body on his bones he will predominantly play as a wingman, hopefully a damaging wingman.

Thanks for that. Before my time. Good to see H stamping his authority on young Cale in his first year. Fwiw, I can see the likeness for similarities in the players mentioned in that thread. I guess that is where someone might see him as a midfielder - ie. dashing wingman - or some may see him as a KP prospect. Time and development will tell.

So this looks like the starting 6 as previously posted

Sylvia Bate Watts

Green Jurrah Wona

The problem I have with the we are short a tall so Miller must play line is the whole reason behind having talls. Talls are useful as they provide a focal point for others to work around, a physical presence and they take contested marks. I believe Miller (and Newton) rarely do any of those things. So for the 7th spot on the bench - it is Petterd all the way for me. He will be fitter and stronger after a preseason and should play FP, HFF taking 8 marks and having 20 touches a game. He is also one of our most effective set shot for goals (it doesn't always look pretty but it goes through).

Also as mentioned Jamar and Martin (my preferred ruck combo for round 1) both are useful as forwards. I don't want them to take away from the development of Watts, Jurrah, Bate and possibly a kid from this years draft (Black please) but they can compete adequately and if required.