Give him the captaincy

Mondê

Moloney's a fantastic club man and I thought it was great that he showed his passion at the B & F. I couldn't give a toss about Mclean anymore and I'd be happy to see Moloney standing over him with a snarl after putting him into the turf. However does this make Moloney Captain material, I don't think so. He's just not a talented enough footballer to lead what is fast turning into an extremely talented lineup. Remember the next Captain of this club will be expected to lead us to our first Premeirship in over 45 years.

Ok no offence but that point is moot. No one would say Tom Harley was an extremely talented footballer, James McDonald, Nick Maxwell, Dom Cassissi ? Being the best player doesnt mean anything its about your qualities as a leader and how a team responds to you. For the record I think Moloney would make an excellent captain, he is loyal courageous and strikes me as a person who would pull someone who was doing the wrong thing into line very quickly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some top quality early morning posting there RR. The first two of yours that I read cover the groundbreaking territory that you don't believe that Valenti is good enough for AFL and that "bleeding red and blue" is an irrelevant AFL cliche. I honestly had no idea that you felt this way and I'm glad that you went out of your way to belittle other posters without significantly adding to the discussion. Well done old chap!

I giggled.

On Moloney and the "cliche..." Yes it's old and tired... But if we were to loosen our grip on that phrase, maybe we could come up with English that would describe what people are getting at.

Given the players we have leaving the club, and given a LARGE amount of rumblings about player dissatisfaction with Bailey... I'm all for someone actually getting up and throwing their support behind the club's direction (which was actually not mentioned a whole lot by players during the season, just here and there), and making that point with a sledgehammer. We have a weak enough culture as it is. If Moloney has gone some small way to proving the point that we DO have a team ethos, or that we're in the process of instituting one, then I think that's something to celebrate... and CERTAINLY make note of.

As for bleeding red and blue... yes, the phrase has taken on a whole new meaning. Particularly because Robbo, not so long ago, was that player...

I giggled.

On Moloney and the "cliche..." Yes it's old and tired... But if we were to loosen our grip on that phrase, maybe we could come up with English that would describe what people are getting at.

Given the players we have leaving the club, and given a LARGE amount of rumblings about player dissatisfaction with Bailey... I'm all for someone actually getting up and throwing their support behind the club's direction (which was actually not mentioned a whole lot by players during the season, just here and there), and making that point with a sledgehammer. We have a weak enough culture as it is. If Moloney has gone some small way to proving the point that we DO have a team ethos, or that we're in the process of instituting one, then I think that's something to celebrate... and CERTAINLY make note of.

As for bleeding red and blue... yes, the phrase has taken on a whole new meaning. Particularly because Robbo, not so long ago, was that player...

When the hell was that??

He has never been the type of player who I associated with that phrase.

When the hell was that??

Highlights the silliness of the reference "bleeds for.the [fill in whatever suits]...".

When MFC had an alliance with the Zebras, one poster argued that Nick Saunter "bled for the [Zebras] jumper" because at the breaks, Nick was jumping around and pumping up the other players and slapping them on the back. Saunter may be talented at VFL level but an extremely selfish footballer. He only bleeds for the jumper on his terms.

Moloney's passion for the his football is great and he chooses to show it demonstrably...that's fine too. But to define it as superior to the passion, focus and attitude of others is unfounded. And for some supporters they need that demonstrative behaviour to prove what has always been there but they haven't seen it.

Highlights the silliness of the reference "bleeds for.the [fill in whatever suits]...".

"Bleeds for the ... " AND "heart and soul player". Both had an up-in-lights run during trade week. Journalists must really resent their production line job, relentlessly re-packing hollow phrases for daily distribution.

When the hell was that??

Since I've been reading demonland, pretty much.

For a long time he was the player you'd call the most vocal about "loving the club." When in reality he was actually simply the "most vocal." This is most clearly highlighted by his recent outings in the media.

Reinforces the point I was making.

I am glad your enamored with an irrelevant cliche. And FWIW, I dont believe it distinguishes one footballer from another footballer on any plausible basis.

Except to say that it is great to see a player from your own team who seems to care about the club as much as we do. It may be all [censored] but it is nice to see. I certainly enjoy it.

Who cares if I threw in the old cliche? Some people need to chill out. Writing essays about why the cliche shouldn't be used, finger pointing.... :wacko: Honestly is it really that important, if so I will edit the OP. Jesus.

Ball is still contracted to the Saints so as yet i doubt we have done anything. It is not up to us to actuually do anything except show interest.

If St.Kilda & Collingwood could not agree to a trade i wouldn't be holding the MFC responsible..

Luke Ball is out of contract. Period. They offered him a 3 year deal which they withdrew after trade week. If they lose him its their own fault.

It IS actually up to us to convince Luke to come to Melbourne. We can do that because we can guarantee to draft him with PSD1. Others can say we will take you with pick 26/34/etc but we are the only ones (asided from the Saints who might still convince him to stay) that can guarantee it.

There are about 10 kids on our list who could be the next captain. By the end of next season we will have a pretty fair idea who it is.

Which is why i say we are an outside chance to make Position 8 by years end. If players are desperate enough to prove themselves then we could win a few more games than the "experts" Predict.

Maybe thats a reason behind why Beamer made his statement at the B & F.

There are about 10 kids on our list who could be the next captain. By the end of next season we will have a pretty fair idea who it is.

Which is why i say we are an outside chance to make Position 8 by years end. If players are desperate enough to prove themselves then we could win a few more games than the "experts" Predict.

Maybe thats a reason behind why Beamer made his statement at the B & F.

We won 4 this year despite all the "positional experiments" So you'd expect 7-8 this year ... and 10 can put you in the mix for the 8. The 8 means nothing ... its the top 4 that counts - and that's years away

There's a lot more to being captain - than simply displaying passion. Beamer is no more than a contender right now

Ok no offence but that point is moot. No one would say Tom Harley was an extremely talented footballer, James McDonald, Nick Maxwell, Dom Cassissi ? Being the best player doesnt mean anything its about your qualities as a leader and how a team responds to you. For the record I think Moloney would make an excellent captain, he is loyal courageous and strikes me as a person who would pull someone who was doing the wrong thing into line very quickly.

If you add Vice to that I'd be right there. I just don't think he's good enough to be Captain. I don't just mean as a player either. Rousing speeches are one thing but long term leadership is quite another. I'd have Davey ahead of him at the moment.

If you add Vice to that I'd be right there. I just don't think he's good enough to be Captain. I don't just mean as a player either. Rousing speeches are one thing but long term leadership is quite another. I'd have Davey ahead of him at the moment.

That's a fair point. I was thinking along the lines of having someone as captain who is so passionate and would lead by example. But vice captain would be fair as he would still be in the leadership group.

FWIW I believe captain is only a © that goes next to someones name, there should be two or three leaders that will set the example and Beamer is definately one of those. Whether or not he's officially captain I believe the team would follow his example and listen to him as he is genuinely passionate.

We won 4 this year despite all the "positional experiments" So you'd expect 7-8 this year ... and 10 can put you in the mix for the 8. The 8 means nothing ... its the top 4 that counts - and that's years away

There's a lot more to being captain - than simply displaying passion. Beamer is no more than a contender right now

Sure i agree, that's why right now the captaincy role is a true open book between the entire list.

One of this years draft picks could quite easily be the next "Numero Uno"

It put a massive grin on my face the morning I saw this in the Sun, Moloney is just about the most passionate player at the club. Add to that he is an absolute beast of a build, along with Sylvia, the 2 top guys I'd love out there on the park flying the flag protecting the young blokes coming in and a great footballer as well. That's enough boxes Beamer ticks that nobody else at the club can, captaincy material for sure.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I think some good points have been raised both for and against Beamer as skipper. I would be very happy if he got the gig in 2011 but at the same time I think he would also think he would make a good Stonewall to Davey's Lee.