I dont understand what happened to all the fans ?

Guest DemonDefined

if Davey on song...Turtleman back in form... and Jurrah fit and firing...theres three reason to be entertaining for starters.

Supplement that with Watts.. Scully and Trengove ..and its gets better..other players will lift.

it wont be boring :)

I don't think that's true. My understanding (I think there was a survey done a year or so ago) is that MFC has the highest percentage of supporters that are members. Something like 30k out of 300k MFC supporters Australia-wide are also members, which is higher than any other Vic club. Happy to be corrected though.

Roy Morgan (?) does research every year or so and that's their finding.

Heard a comment from an associate on the weekend after the conversation invariably turned to football, as it does, and when the trade and draft talk turned to Melbourne, one bloke quipped if it wasn't for the name of "Melbourne" the football club wouldn't exist. This from a Bulldogs supporter.

Did he also recognise that the Bulldogs would have been canned if they weren't the only team in the West?

Well basically all my relatives are Melbourne supporters but only really take an interest if we're winning. I ask them why they don't buy memberships and there response is 'What's the point in buying one when we've been on the bottom of the ladder for the last two years?'

A lot of Melbourne supporters are like this unfortunately.

<_<

I cant answer why but I believe it isnt only success, or a cup as the only answer.

This is a quote from the 'Annual Report' for 1960, page 15 under the heading 'Finance'

" Sales of membership tickets for the year were 3584 Senior tickets and 856 Juniors. It is impossible to understand why we should have such a small number of tickets sold when one considers the success that the team has enjoyed over the past years"

In other words stuffed if I know, but what I believe is that we have the largest core of ' always supporters'. We are there no matter what.

Well basically all my relatives are Melbourne supporters but only really take an interest if we're winning. I ask them why they don't buy memberships and there response is 'What's the point in buying one when we've been on the bottom of the ladder for the last two years?'

A lot of AFL supporters are like this.

We've smashed our membership records two years running, on the back of two terrible on-field seasons.

I fail to understand why our own supporters would push a stereotype that's not only false but is in fact damaging to our Club's 'brand'.

thanks, truth hurts?

We don't know. Does it?

Your patronising comment to 45HG16 was not warranted, nor was it the truth. He was merely giving a point of fact.

To prove that your view is not the truth:

"It's almost like the further we've gotten from our past, the more we feel the need to underline it."

This salient remark was posted by none other than the poster you claim to be 'happy to live off past glory.'

<_<

A lot more collingwood supporters are like that than melbourne. Considering our actual Supporter Base size, MFC supporters are Fantastic.

I know heaps of Magpie Twirps who are fanatics but are not members (they don't need to be)

If the MFC can have sustained success over the next 20 years, by that i mean Flags & finals appearances. we will pull crowds i have no doubt.

See collingwood supporters have ALWAYS EXPECTED TO WIN each week. That is why they are so well supported.

I have never felt that with Melbourne in 40 years of supporting. I love winning but it has always been hope rather than expect.

In '65 we lost our Mojo. We must get it back...& thus EXPECT TO WIN EACH WEEK.

Yes Bring back the Dark Blue & Blood Red-The new players will look at those colours & really want to be a power.

We are going to look fearsome again next year-you do realize that.....

Edited by why you little

I agree with that WYL.

Especially youre first point. Filth supporters are the worst. They get good crowd, but when you have more than 5 times the supporter base you should get 5 times the crowd. They have so many fans who know nothing about the game - like any club I suppose.

Cheers rp

I agree with that WYL.

Especially youre first point. Filth supporters are the worst. They get good crowd, but when you have more than 5 times the supporter base you should get 5 times the crowd. They have so many fans who know nothing about the game - like any club I suppose.

Cheers rp

Thanks 45. Our supporters must in the next 2-3 years Demand a high standard on field, which i don't think has happened for many years. John Northey got close, but we still lost crucial games so that we finished 5th instead of 3rd.

If we are to be Demons we must be Ruthless in the way we operate. Fair but Ruthless.

This club has been percieved as "soft" by both Supporters & opposition Players ( i remember talking to john Barnes in a nightclub one night-he told me that. Geelong & Essendon teams never really feared & hated Melbourne like they did other clubs)

That's just one example i know-but that perception exists, & i am sure CS is aware of it thus the Subtle Jumper change

This new jumper will look awesome on Wide Screen HD i can assure you...

• 3 weeks later...
i remember talking to john Barnes in a nightclub one night-he told me that. Geelong & Essendon teams never really feared & hated Melbourne like they did other clubs

well gee that settles it

tell me did you and Barnesy come up with a solution to climate change the same evening?

I don't think that's true. My understanding (I think there was a survey done a year or so ago) is that MFC has the highest percentage of supporters that are members. Something like 30k out of 300k MFC supporters Australia-wide are also members, which is higher than any other Vic club. Happy to be corrected though.

I heard that also and I think the info came from Cameron Schwab.

There are many untruths and ill informed perceptions floated around about the MFC without any research behind it. Journo's often come up with a bunch of stuff that , if it is repeated often enough , somehow miraculously becomes "Fact".

DEMOGRAPHICS.

etc.

What a shocking post.

You are either

a ) working class yourself and therefore guilty of the same kind of snobbery that you apparently despise (in reverse).

b ) middle or upper class yourself and therefore "lack the character" to support the demons properly (your words, not mine).

In either case, I guarantee that you have done a lot less for the club than many/all of the people you slag off as being only interested in bragging rights and a free lunch.

Your personal criticism of Gardner is particularly unfair.

He doesn't care about the club?

He lacks a professional work ethic?

He should be ashamed of having outside interests?

You must be someone pretty special to make these accusations.

Edited by Hazyshadeofgrinter

What a shocking post.

You are either

a ) working class yourself and therefore guilty of the same kind of snobbery that you apparently despise (in reverse).

b ) middle or upper class yourself and therefore "lack the character" to support the demons properly (your words, not mine).

In either case, I guarantee that you have done a lot less for the club than many/all of the people you slag off as being only interested in bragging rights and a free lunch.

Your personal criticism of Gardner is particularly unfair.

He doesn't care about the club?

He lacks a professional work ethic?

He should be ashamed of having outside interests?

You must be someone pretty special to make these accusations.

Don't bother about it, HSOG.

This is one of the worst threads I have ever seen on Land.

Some of our worst work, really.

well gee that settles it

tell me did you and Barnesy come up with a solution to climate change the same evening?

No but it was an interesting coversation with a then AFL Player. 4 Years Later Barnes & Essendon Smashed us Good & Proper in the Grand Final.

We were not Feared. MFC would have been fearing The Bombers though i bet.

This perception is what Stynsey want to eradicate..

As much as I love the big games with the big crowds and want Melbourne to have massive support and never have financial problems and so on and so on, there is a little bit of me that likes the little support we have at games. You always get a carpark at the ground, or if catching the train, the station is never too busy. Rarely have to queue up for food etc at games. Also, being a social club member, when we do make the GF I am guaranteed a ticket, with that membership being $550 I think it was this year. The similar membership at collingwood costs about $1200 and you just get a ticket for a ballot to get a GF ticket should they make it.

So to cut to the point, I want all the support, but I want my situation to stay the same! I know it wont happen that way and will be pleased when we get 60,000 a week to our games, but I thought I would throw it into this thread anyway.