dean bailey love

sylvias dukes

Great post, Jack7.

I think there are some people who just wanted success as quickly as possible. With the list we had pre-Bailey, there was no way we were going anywhere. Most of their best days were behind them. We have a terrific list of quality young kids with a good mix of experienced heads. Bailey's job of rebuilding this team into what we can see will most likely be a great team in the future has been terrific thus far. We just all need to be patient about it. Next year and onwards we really see if Bails can coach this team up the ladder.

I'd rather wait a few more years until we are genuine premiership contenders (hey, we've all waited long enough anyway), than to plod along with a very average list and achieve nothing of great notice.

Edited by Jurrah Moments

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell us 'dukes', with the object of building the rabble that was the Melbourne footy team 24 months ago into a viable premiership contender in the next 5 years, what would you have done differently to Bails??

for one i would of kept robbo, he will still attract the best defender next year which will help our younger fowards develop. i admire the fact DB is playing young players and its good that they are getting experience but to be honest no one from melbourne has really steeped up since DB has come to the club except for Sylvia but thats because the penny finally dropped. Jones has gone backwards for one, same could be said about Brock. I was just making the point with 'love' that everyone on this site seems to pot the Daniher his era but im pretty sure he at least got the team to some positions were we could have possibly won the flag i.e 98'. FFS Mark Riley in his brief stint managed to get more out of the playing group then Bailey has. I for one hope that Bailey leads the club foward next year but I would personally love to see Viney becoming coach of Melbourne

Sylvia, Garland, Davey, Bate, Frawley, Jamar, Warnock, Moloney have all improved since DB has arrived.

Young guys like Grimes, Jurrah, Aussie, Martin, Morton have all blossomed under DB's leadership.

Jones has reestablished where he needs his footy to be and Petterd is starting to find a role in the team.

I've probably forgotten others, but probably given enough names to show that he has in fact helped many players at the club to grow.

Whether he's the man to take us to the premiership is another story, but I personally believe he's the man to bring us to the tip of where we need to be

Sylvia, Garland, Davey, Bate, Frawley, Jamar, Warnock, Moloney have all improved since DB has arrived.

Young guys like Grimes, Jurrah, Aussie, Martin, Morton have all blossomed under DB's leadership.

Jones has reestablished where he needs his footy to be and Petterd is starting to find a role in the team.

I've probably forgotten others, but probably given enough names to show that he has in fact helped many players at the club to grow.

Whether he's the man to take us to the premiership is another story, but I personally believe he's the man to bring us to the tip of where we need to be

newsflash '45hotgod16' the players you mentioned are all young players, or players that have recovered from injuries i.e Moloney. They havent even blossomed, just shown potential. Maybe im just grumpy watching my mates who support Geelong win another flag but honestly why is there so much positivity on demonland we suck. It's as if we are entering into a new dawn of success. The only teams we have beaten recently are [censored] like Richmond, or are an interstate team playing at the G. DB is basically copying the hawks and Clarkson managed to win 9 games in his second season, we won four. Believe it or not im trying to remain positive but im struggling, Dean Bailey even told Mclean were 4 to 6 years away from success. Bloody Matthew Knights has already got the dons to the finals. Also to finish my rant just because there a young player doesnt necessarily mean they are going to be a star, something which demonlanders seem to assume

FFS Mark Riley in his brief stint managed to get more out of the playing group then Bailey has.

Didn't hurt that he had experienced players like Ward, Brown, Bizzell, Pickett and Yze/White in their last useful year. Besides beating Carlton twice (once in a complete farce) and a pretty ordinary Footscray side in the second half of that year was hardly a great trial. Not saying he wasn't any good but you can't possibly compare a coach in the most of an epic rebuilding phase to a caretaker who smacked a couple of ordinary sides and had a last-up win handed to him on a platter by some cheats.

The only thing that troubles me about Bailey to this day a year and a half later is just how Isaac Weetra got one game let alone two.

As someone pointed out to me Bailey's only tactical blunder this season was to not get someone to run over the mark to make sure McMahon kicked THAT goal.

He managed to orchestrate a couple of losses - now let's see what he can do when he wants to win.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Believe it or not im trying to remain positive but im struggling, Dean Bailey even told Mclean were 4 to 6 years away from success.

Yep. We all are but I'd rather go forward with a plan than just hope. I don't presume to understand all of the plan but I can see glimpses.

1/ Play the kids. They are the future.

2/ Play everyone that we can usefully play everywhere so if we need to make a tactical change we have options

3/ We needed to get rid of one of either Moloney, Jones or Mclean next year as the young mids take the spot. When Brock said he wanted to go and we got #11 for it we said you bloody beauty. Better than #28 next year.

4/ The game plan. It doesn't happen overnight - especially with a bunch of kids. But this year was a better year than last year. We missed by mm's on beating the doggies who were a mm from the GF. We had 2 good halves against the "unbeatable" Sts, shook the Hawks and even had good moments against the Cats. Consistancy comes with experience and with a young and injured side we were always going to stuggle with it. Harder bodies and another pre-season of planning things should look better.

5/ Ruthlessness. It doesn't matter if every kid in the cheersquad has your number on your back - if you don't cut it you don't get a run in the red and blue.

6/ A future plan. You can compare him to Wallace all you want but Clarkson and Thompson also had long term plans and made hard calls that weren't popular. Personally I rate Wallace and the RFC as perfect fits. He is an egotistical know it all that was an average coach at best and the RFC is a club run by the nuffers on the street.

7/ Continuity. If these kids have played 60-100 games with each other by 2013 we will have a bunch of talent that knows what the other will do. That stuff does not happen overnight and learning what Robbo will do next year is one more year that they will not get used to Watts, Jurrah or #11 at FF.

8/ As far as we can see the club is backing him. I hated the tanking crap, and it still sits very badly with me but if the club wanted it then so be it. I think that the club has given him a pass on 2009 as long as he delivered the picks.

I don't know if this will lead to a flag as there are plenty of great teams that have missed out (Colling@#$% 79,80,81 anyone?) BUT he will give us the best chance to win one. Having said that, if we can keep most of the good cattle on the field and we can't win 7-10 next year I will call for his head but I don't think it will come to that.

We've had a bad couple of years, sure. But we've also had a bad bunch of decades. We owe it to the club, and the club owes it to us, to give this plan and this coach a try. We need to to have faith, and we need it like no other team. We need, now more than ever to close ranks and see what next year will bring.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

Am I the only person who is sceptical about Dean Bailey. He has a terrible, terrible coaching record and all he seems to do is want to plan for the future. Personally I don’t think his the right man. An obscure selection that no one had ever heard of, but would love to be proven wrong

I've seen little on game days to inspire me from Dean.

Have said many times it remains to be seen whether he is the next Peter Rhode or the next Clarkeson.

What i have seen - and loved - is his ruthlessness. To so clearly deliberately (IMO) not win games and give us picks 1 and 2 showed a ruthlessness not seen at Melbourne for a long, long time.

I hold out high hopes for Dean, but the jury is very much out.

for one i would of kept robbo, he will still attract the best defender next year which will help our younger fowards develop. Jones has gone backwards for one, same could be said about Brock.

Who would you have to play on his man and also chase Robbo's man, when he is running down the ground setting up a goal, while Robbo is still lying on the ground after another failed spekkie attempt.

If you believe Jones has gone backwards you didn't watch him play, end of story.

for one i would of kept robbo, he will still attract the best defender next year which will help our younger fowards develop. i admire the fact DB is playing young players and its good that they are getting experience but to be honest no one from melbourne has really steeped up since DB has come to the club except for Sylvia but thats because the penny finally dropped. Jones has gone backwards for one, same could be said about Brock. I was just making the point with 'love' that everyone on this site seems to pot the Daniher his era but im pretty sure he at least got the team to some positions were we could have possibly won the flag i.e 98'. FFS Mark Riley in his brief stint managed to get more out of the playing group then Bailey has. I for one hope that Bailey leads the club foward next year but I would personally love to see Viney becoming coach of Melbourne

You're clutching at straws dukes. How would the retention of Robbo help us to win us a premiership? ..... by setting an example to the youngsters on how to play selfish football(?) ... how not to apply defensive pressure on the forward line (?) ..... how to go to ground, and play for free-kicks in marking contests? In his day Robbo was a good footballer fot the Melbourne Footy Club, but his best was well and truely behind him, and his play was characterised by too many examples of what not to do.

No one has stepped up under Bailey? Bull dust! Warnock, for example, was rarely given an opportunity by Danniher. He's now a leader in a very promising defence.

........... and you can't just dismiss the the players mentioned by 45hotgod because they are young. Grimes wouldn't even be with us if Bailey hadn't moved TJ on (I can't imagine the conservative Danniher doing this). And in all probability, the the likes of White, Yze, Godfrey etc. would still be running around denying our youngsters of opportunity.

Sorry, but IMO your assertion that Bailey is the wrong man for the job is baseless nonsense.

newsflash '45hotgod16' the players you mentioned are all young players, or players that have recovered from injuries i.e Moloney. They havent even blossomed, just shown potential. Maybe im just grumpy watching my mates who support Geelong win another flag but honestly why is there so much positivity on demonland we suck. It's as if we are entering into a new dawn of success. The only teams we have beaten recently are [censored] like Richmond, or are an interstate team playing at the G. DB is basically copying the hawks and Clarkson managed to win 9 games in his second season, we won four. Believe it or not im trying to remain positive but im struggling, Dean Bailey even told Mclean were 4 to 6 years away from success. Bloody Matthew Knights has already got the dons to the finals. Also to finish my rant just because there a young player doesnt necessarily mean they are going to be a star, something which demonlanders seem to assume

Agree with you

ND and the Footy Department took us from a 2000 Grand Final team to a rabble in 2007, we have since rebuilt but with young untried kids who might not be good at all. We assume that all our draft picks will stand up.

We have 1 A Class player ( who still has not signed), several B Graders and many young kids who many of keep building up as superstars of the future.

If Losing games to get Picks 1 and 2 was DB plan thats fine , but lose with some quality game plan. I did not see anything special on game day, lucky LJ stepped up and took the pressure of our week game plan.

Dees must show something, my family refuse to watch a game knowing that losing is a want to or just simply we are not good enough. I hope the losing culture has not set in.

Our seats at the MCG are mostly empty now, I can see a naked ground in the next 2 years if we dont show someting soon.

Lets Hope DB gets it right, I would love to see his Powerpoint Presentation to the Board. It must be brilliant.

Game plan.

That's what needs to be addressed.

Can he coach on game day?

I'm not sure he has been given the chance to show this one way or another.

I also think winning games has been a priority, but not so much as developing players and assessing them, which I happen to agree with.

This coming season we will now start to see and assess these aspects of his coaching.

to be honest no one from melbourne has really steeped up since DB has come to the club except for Sylvia but thats because the penny finally dropped. Jones has gone backwards for one, same could be said about Brock.

newsflash '45hotgod16' the players you mentioned are all young players, or players that have recovered from injuries i.e Moloney. They havent even blossomed, just shown potential.

Do I really need to say any more?

You claim only one player has stood up, I give you 9 who have improved, 5 that has developed very well early under him (how can you claim he can't develop players yet admit that the young players are going well under him). How in the world do you figure that Jones has gone backwards?

Remember what they say (and I'm paraphrasing here...) :

'Be careful arguing with idiots because from a distance outsiders can rarely tell who is who.'

AND ALSO

'Be wary of arguing with idiots because they'll just bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience'

Make of it what you will.

Edited by Enforcer25

Another disaster year will see Bailey gone before round 15 next year.

Bailey will not only see next year out but the year after. Old Fart posed the question to Dukes `what would you have done differantly?`

you are right, a young player (first round pick or not ) is not assured of becoming a star, but id rather give them a chance then watching players who have been in the system a minimum of 4-6 years continually fail. you need to look at the big picture.

For those who cannot understand why myself, and others, have a lot of time for Bailey (it's hardly love), it is for these reasons: we (some sub-consciously) realise that the list he has helped build is getting better every year, and that he has been selfless with who is on the list, and who he has given games to.

The players that have not progressed since DB has come to the club are Batram, McLean, Miller, PJ, Dunn, Bell, and Newton (I didn't include Buckley because of an impressive 08). One of those players is gone, and a couple others may go. I don't think that is a bad record at all.

Buckley, Garland, Wonaeamirri, Martin, Davey, and Warnock all showed something and/or got better in 08.

Jones, Bate, Frawley, Morton, Sylvia, Petterd, Grimes, Moloney, Cheney, Jetta, Jamar, Bennell, and Jurrah all showed something and/or got better in 09.

I look forward to seeing how the club develops Watts, Maric, Meesen, McNamara, Bail, Spencer, Strauss, Blease, McKenzie, Scully, Trengove, Pick 11, Pick 18, and PSD1.

No surprise that you think that ending up with picks 1 & 2 was a disaster.

Would you prefer to have won 7 or 8 games?

This goes over a few heads.

They are adamant that the club and Bailey did the right thing, but now equivocate the 'right thing' as failure on a grand scale because of the old touchstones - the wooden spoon, and the win/loss record.

2009 was a perfect failure for mine, and its worth another year extension.

Am I the only person who is sceptical about Dean Bailey.

No you have a few friends

He has a terrible, terrible coaching record

Depends on what your expectations were and how many premierships he should have had by now because finishing 2nd sucks

and all he seems to do is want to plan for the future.

Ahh we agree , Gotta love a plan like that

Personally I don't think his the right man.

Judgement day is next year on that one

An obscure selection that no one had ever heard of, but would love to be proven wrong

Not sure how old you are but i remember him playing in the Essendon Midfiled for a few seasons , wasnt flash but serviceable

Coaching stints at Mt Gravatt , Player Development at Essendon and Assistant alongside Clarkson at Port Adelaide both in Premiership years

Edited by Swampfox

No surprise that you think that ending up with picks 1 & 2 was a disaster.

Anyone can coach a team badly enough to not win, it's the style of play (few players in the forward line, multiple loose players in defence and overall negative tactics) that have been a disaster.

It is very much a Forumulated Opinion that Melbourne could have won seven or so games this year if they didn't "tank", at best the Richmond game was the only game that Melbourne had a chance to win.

2010 will determine if Bailey is a good senior coach, and not just a development coach.