• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michael Newton

DEES

What right has Brock McLean to talk about a teammate''s future?

He's got way ahead of himself.

Juice , "what do you think of Brock McLean's future?Bit slow don't you think?"

Nothing wrong with what Brock said. He said Newton has talent, can do some amazing things but needs to be more consistent.

Pretty standard stuff unless you think the bit about it being an interesting time for Juice is too edgy, which I don't. It's an honest answer. And generous.

Edited by pitmaster

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reliably informed today that Newton will be fulfilling his contractual obligations with the Dees next year.

I know many on here believe we should pay him out but I think a contract is a contract.

Would this informant know of any desire to move him on during October? My sources tell me that the FD would like to 'give' one or two away.

I know many on here believe we should pay him out but I think a contract is a contract.

Would this informant know of any desire to move him on during October? My sources tell me that the FD would like to 'give' one or two away.

I agree and I'm not surprised to hear that it is false.

Carroll was an exception, but it is not good business to make these things a habit. It would make future dealings and recruiting incredibly hard for us.

I'm amazed at the sheer number of people who still haven't pulled their heads out of their behinds for long enough to realise that contracted players are only ever released in the most extreme situations. It makes reading these forums incredibly frustrating when people don't understand, or worse, refuse to accept how the system works.

I'm amazed at the sheer number of people who still haven't pulled their heads out of their behinds for long enough to realise that contracted players are only ever released in the most extreme situations. It makes reading these forums incredibly frustrating when people don't understand, or worse, refuse to accept how the system works.

It is the silly season where all the pretenders and crazies come out of the woodwork.

I guess you just gotta be patient and wade through all the crap. B)

i understand the system, but the club should not be a horder, yes we know he is contracted , but surely he cant be on much, we are slowly climbing out of a financial hole but Juice and Bell should go, even do what the cats did with King , picks 90 and 91 will be fine

i understand the system, but the club should not be a horder, yes we know he is contracted , but surely he cant be on much, we are slowly climbing out of a financial hole but Juice and Bell should go, even do what the cats did with King , picks 90 and 91 will be fine

I agree we should try to trade him, but there's only one good reason why you'd pay out his contract and four very good reasons why he'll stay.

Pro's to paying out Newton:

1. He is no longer on the list.

Cons to paying out Newton:

1. It's dead money - or more to the point a complete waste of money.

2. It's either added on to the TPP for this year or next which may mean one less senior vacancy while we pay out his contract.

3. The AFL and wider Footy Community ask serious questions about why we should receive funding when we can't even manage something as simple as player contracts (once again appearing to be the biggest amateurs in a professional competition).

4. Players and their managers become concerned that a contract with Melbourne is not really worth anything. (You want these people to be confident in how you approach business not rolling their eyes and taking a deep breath)

I agree in that I'd happily trade him for a nothing pick at the tail end of the draft, but you can't just go paying out contracts unless there are exceptional circumstances.

It breeds contempt with the people you need to deal with in negotiating contracts and recruiting.

It also would put a fair dent in a lot of the faith and culture that has been built at the club in recent years.

I agree we should try to trade him, but there's only one good reason why you'd pay out his contract and four very good reasons why he'll stay.

2. It's either added on to the TPP for this year or next which may mean one less senior vacancy while we pay out his contract.

3. The AFL and wider Footy Community ask serious questions about why we should receive funding when we can't even manage something as simple as player contracts (once again appearing to be the biggest amateurs in a professional competition).

4. Players and their managers become concerned that a contract with Melbourne is not really worth anything. (You want these people to be confident in how you approach business not rolling their eyes and taking a deep breath)

100% correct. Its just bad business.

its not like we have a history of it, i would guess he would be 150,000 a year. only a guess. based on he is largely a VFL player. since we are such a young team it wouldnt affect our overall salary cap for one year. the AFL might not like it because they feed us but what do you do, we dont have a history of it.

Edited by Al`s DEMONS

I know it's been asked before but who in his right mind offered Juice a 2 year contract in the first place?

Oh we're all geniuses with hindsight, aren't we? We had basically no tall young forwards coming through. Juice was becoming more of a long shot, but a long shot is better than no shot at all. He was given his chance, as he deserved, an he's not come through. Had we cut him a year ago we'd have copped more criticism than we have right now.

Hardly.

I'm not interested in arguing about this, suffice to say I don't think it's the job of one player to comment on the attitude and form of another.

Each to their own. I just don't think his comments were that specific, derogatory, or damaging. Fair enough if he'd come out and said "Juice is a below-average footballer who has been given 22 rounds to sort his [censored] out. Personally, I think he's a peanut who will never make it due to his attitude..." then fair enough... He'd be probably in a bit of trouble.

But players and peers said stuff like this more often about Sylvia. Hell, so did Sylvia! And it worked fine for him. Personally I find much of the cookie-cutter media crap that Bruce and Green have trotted out more condescending. But that's just me.

Hmm. I think I may have started arguing. Sorry.

I've been reliably informed today that Newton will be fulfilling his contractual obligations with the Dees next year.

Hardly a surprise. For all his problems, given we're struggling for talls, he could very well come out and kick 30 goals in 12 or so appearances. Actually, given the fickle nature of support on this site, he'll probably be everyone's lovechild.

if someone is not part of the future they must be moved on

But WHEN is the thing. If he comes out of contract at the end of the year, and he's shown a bit, will GC pounce, or will we ask for a trade?

Top post.

have the answer, trade him to Sydney with Jones and pick 18 for pick 6 and pick ?(dont have all the picks before me)

Your answer is no answer. Even if opposition supporters may sometimes know nothing of our players, opposition clubs do, packaging up a liability in sheep's clothing isn't going to work.

You know...sometimes if the value there is no value...then thats what we get !! If at AFL level he has no real currency then thats exactly what the club will expect to realise from any delisting/trade whatever.

If as many think Juice is not only at the crossroads but perhaps even the parking lot at Melbourne then it will only be what anoter club espies as overseen potential or misdevelopment as beingof anything going forward. if anything !!

Your answer is no answer. Even if opposition supporters may sometimes know nothing of our players, opposition clubs do, packaging up a liability in sheep's clothing isn't going to work.

obviously Jones and pick 18 are the main part of the trade, if it were to happen , Swans would pick up his wage, a big win for us. Paul Roos might think to himself for the price ( Juice cant be on much) might be able to do something with him. Juice is a good mark of the ball , can read the play , obviously needs to work on his kicking. and is lazy, this is where Roos might be able to turn him around.

obviously Jones and pick 18 are the main part of the trade, if it were to happen , Swans would pick up his wage, a big win for us. Paul Roos might think to himself for the price ( Juice cant be on much) might be able to do something with him. Juice is a good mark of the ball , can read the play , obviously needs to work on his kicking. and is lazy, this is where Roos might be able to turn him around.

Its not like we can just slip him in and then when they get home the Swans look in their bag and go "...WAIT. What the [censored] is this? How did this get in here??"

They would know very well he was included and the salary cap space he will take up.

Its rarely that you'll be able to get away with "ok, take some of our crap space filler and we'll also include some of our quality in exchange for less value than its worth"

To be honest, I'd rather wait out another season, give him a chance to finally shine & then move him on when inevitably he shows only marginal improvement.

Hell, I can't imagine his trade value getting much worse -- maybe we'll be able to get something decent for him next season?

In the end, the only chance we have of getting rid of Newton is if another team decides that he himself is worth the punt.

A dearth of decent talls in the draft may aid our efforts to move him on.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
To be honest, I'd rather wait out another season, give him a chance to finally shine & then move him on when inevitably he shows only marginal improvement.

Hell, I can't imagine his trade value getting much worse -- maybe we'll be able to get something decent for him next season?

In the end, the only chance we have of getting rid of Newton is if another team decides that he himself is worth the punt.

It's pretty much how I see it. If somebody wants to give us #91 for him I say we take it but otherwise we should keep him unless he is a very disruptive influence at the club. Who knows if he will sort himself out over summer and become a useful player we can call upon if needed. Doubtful maybe but if we are going to pay him for the year we may as well try and get every little bit back out of him. Next year? Maybe GC will do us a favour and poach him and they can spend a couple of seasons being teased by him until they've had enough.

Its not like we can just slip him in and then when they get home the Swans look in their bag and go "...WAIT. What the [censored] is this? How did this get in here??"

They would know very well he was included and the salary cap space he will take up.

Its rarely that you'll be able to get away with "ok, take some of our crap space filler and we'll also include some of our quality in exchange for less value than its worth"

who said anything about slipping him in. Paul Roos loves a challenge. and a bloke on bugger all money on a one year deal would not affect their salary cap. You then go on to label him `crap space filler` but want to keep him. so he might finally shine. his goal kicking and forward pressure needs more than marginal improvement. Bailey has said during the year he still wants another key forward , so with that player Watts and Jurrah , Newton will have to do all the shining in the VFL.

Edited by Al`s DEMONS

Had we cut him a year ago we'd have copped more criticism than we have right now.

Disagree. I for one was livid when we gave him 2 years this time last year.

have the answer, trade him to Sydney with Jones and pick 18 for pick 6 and pick ?(dont have all the picks before me)

Why would Sydney part with pick 6 to get a hack and a slow, stock midfielder and a worse pick? Newton is unproven and very likely to be a failure at AFL. Plus they've already got Jesse White, who'se a far brighter prospect than Newton is or ever was. Plus Sydney doesn't need another hard-nosed midfielder. And they lose pick 6, when they are crying out for quality youth.