• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Aaron Black Thread

e25

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe how keen I am to draft Black. I have never seen him play, not even a highlights package. Every word I have read about him has been positive. Not a single negative word. Surely there is someone out there that has seen him play???

You will get that from limited reviews of a decent player.

He has flaws, they are just not evident yet.

Not that I have any clue what they will be...

But I also think he will be a star and predict we will pick him at 11.

have you seen him play tess?

(not having a go at you mate, it just seems many people havent)

Ive seen him play twice, once for the Colts, the other for the Seniors.

Funnily enough he was outstanding in the game against men and average against the boys.

He possesses a fantastic work ethic, he loves to chase and run down opponents. In the game where he excelled, he rucked for four quarters alone against two very big experienced footballers. He ended up with 27 disposals, seven marks, five tackles and 13 hit-outs in what would have been a real eye opener for all recruiters.

The big thing I liked about his performance was he kept putting his body on the line and contesting even when his side was getting thumped; this is a massive trait in a player’s mindset IMO.

Ive seen him play twice, once for the Colts, the other for the Seniors.

Funnily enough he was outstanding in the game against men and average against the boys.

He possesses a fantastic work ethic, he loves to chase and run down opponents. In the game where he excelled, he rucked for four quarters alone against two very big experienced footballers. He ended up with 27 disposals, seven marks, five tackles and 13 hit-outs in what would have been a real eye opener for all recruiters.

The big thing I liked about his performance was he kept putting his body on the line and contesting even when his side was getting thumped; this is a massive trait in a player’s mindset IMO.

gah... yes please?

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...10/default.aspx

At the very top of this article.

The first time I remember hearing the kid's name.

Anybody got any opinions?

(Dr...?)

Hey mate,

sorry for the incredible delay in response - but I'd previously been reluctant to offer too much of an opinion on Aaron Black given that he was an unknown (as I hadn't seen any of his Colts/WAFL games).

BUT ... in true form .. I've gained some of his DVD's from a friend in Perth and can now soundly offer the following:

Aaron started off the year fairly slowly at Colts, worked his way into form and mid-season booted returns of 6 two weeks in a row, the latter was 6.4.

He continued good form which saw him promoted into Peel's senior side for the last 3 games of the season (albeit Peel not being overly strong at senior level) where he was named in their best 2 of those 3 games. He then went back to Colts level for their finals campaign and was named in their best in the losing grand final, he gets thrown around in various roles and seems to take to each and is competitive without being at Hurley like levels.

His athleticism is quite good as you have probably been reading, but despite his leap he won't ruck at AFL level apart from some forward line work I'd imagine, so it's kind of frustrating not seeing him settled in any one position for Peel, but we see that he adapts and takes to any role he was given with little fuss.

IMHO he's a hard one to pin for mine, I reckon he's worth a first rounder in this pool on his athletic attributes and some upside given he has come from basketball and his footy smarts are ok (i.e. not a case of athlete trying to convert to footy). His agility, turning circle and recovery from initial contest are very good and keep him in the contest with second and third efforts.

In my small viewing, I haven't seen him get into a lot of dangerous positions and look like he'll really impact a game given the expectations I had from reading about him he just seems to float through playing bits and pieces cameos, but that might be harsh given it is his first seniors experience and the way Peel used him.

I reckon in this pool he might slot in to the first round somewhere, but at this stage it might be on upside.

However it's important to note that from what I've seen of the juniors this year, the TAC is a stronger comp, the Colts a rung down and what little of seen of the Maccas cup (SA) probably another rung and a half below Colts.

That being said, Blacks game would translate to TAC and who is to say he wouldn't be just as good if not better with better players around him?

Hope this helps mate.

You'd have to be pleased with that E25?

Nice work Dr.

Like the effort you put in.

Re: Black, I was a little concerned that due to a lack of footage and exposure that he'd be over-hyped.

Sounds like that might be the case.

Also a bit disappointing that he probably wouldn't be able to do the bulk of ruckwork at AFL level, but I should've known that just looking at his height.

You'd have to be pleased with that E25?

Nice work Dr.

Like the effort you put in.

Re: Black, I was a little concerned that due to a lack of footage and exposure that he'd be over-hyped.

Sounds like that might be the case.

Also a bit disappointing that he probably wouldn't be able to do the bulk of ruckwork at AFL level, but I should've known that just looking at his height.

No worries at all.

I agree with you re: his height for ruckwork.

He really is a mixed bag: he tested well for a few things at draft camp, and conversley he tested poorly in some others.

Still .. 1st rounder IMHO.

Thanks for that detailed analysis on Black Dr.

I reckon in this pool he might slot in to the first round somewhere, but at this stage it might be on upside.

Can you clarify "upside" for me ?

Is that late first round ?

Thanks for that detailed analysis on Black Dr.

Not a problem.

Can you clarify "upside" for me ?

I think with Aaron - teams may be taking him early - purely on what he 'could' become.

I think teams identify Black has having all the necessary tools (neat disposal, height, athleticism, good leap) but given his lack of exposure and the way he's been played at Peel (jack of all trades, master of none) - they may have him earmarked as a permanent CHB/CHF/FF.

He needs more time to come on, but has all the tools to make it.

Is that late first round ?

hmmm not sure.

Carlton would be keen at #12 one would think (they will most likely take whoever may fall to #12 out of: Lucas, Jetta, Butcher first - and then opt for Carlisle/Black).

I don't think he'd make it past Sydney's #14.

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

Do you personally think he could make it in the AFL as a key forward? As in a Full Forward or Centre Half Forward.

Sounds like it's a tough one to answer, it's just you're the only one on this board that has seen any sort of footage of him!

Hey mate,

I think he could definately make it as a key forward at AFL level.

As mentioned before he has all the right tools - can leap, run, move and kick (although his agility scores at DC werent great).

I saw footage of him playt 2 games in the WAFL where he was moved all over the shop - yet still managed to kick 6.4 (when he played as a forward).

I think the key with Black .. is that he needs to be harnessed and played in ONE position (ie. FF/CHF) for him to develop it as his own.

I have no doubt if he had of been exposed to this earlier - and played solely as a CHF/FF with his physical and athletic attributes - he'd have been a lock for a top #6 selection.

Hey mate,

sorry for the incredible delay in response - but I'd previously been reluctant to offer too much of an opinion on Aaron Black given that he was an unknown (as I hadn't seen any of his Colts/WAFL games).

BUT ... in true form .. I've gained some of his DVD's from a friend in Perth and can now soundly offer the following:

Aaron started off the year fairly slowly at Colts, worked his way into form and mid-season booted returns of 6 two weeks in a row, the latter was 6.4.

He continued good form which saw him promoted into Peel's senior side for the last 3 games of the season (albeit Peel not being overly strong at senior level) where he was named in their best 2 of those 3 games. He then went back to Colts level for their finals campaign and was named in their best in the losing grand final, he gets thrown around in various roles and seems to take to each and is competitive without being at Hurley like levels.

His athleticism is quite good as you have probably been reading, but despite his leap he won't ruck at AFL level apart from some forward line work I'd imagine, so it's kind of frustrating not seeing him settled in any one position for Peel, but we see that he adapts and takes to any role he was given with little fuss.

IMHO he's a hard one to pin for mine, I reckon he's worth a first rounder in this pool on his athletic attributes and some upside given he has come from basketball and his footy smarts are ok (i.e. not a case of athlete trying to convert to footy). His agility, turning circle and recovery from initial contest are very good and keep him in the contest with second and third efforts.

In my small viewing, I haven't seen him get into a lot of dangerous positions and look like he'll really impact a game given the expectations I had from reading about him he just seems to float through playing bits and pieces cameos, but that might be harsh given it is his first seniors experience and the way Peel used him.

However it's important to note that from what I've seen of the juniors this year, the TAC is a stronger comp, the Colts a rung down and what little of seen of the Maccas cup (SA) probably another rung and a half below Colts.

That being said, Blacks game would translate to TAC and who is to say he wouldn't be just as good if not better with better players around him?

Hope this helps mate.

Bloody nice work Doc!

Thanks mate, didn't expect a dissertation but that's great.

About time someone gave us a decent detailed opinion of what this guy has got.

Hearing that I think I'd prefer Carlisle or Griffiths.

I dont understand why people rate carlisle, he may be tall and athletic but he doesnt kick bags or do much of what a key forward should imo.

The forwards i rate are talia, butcher, temel.

Black and griffiths also on what ive read.

So... you rate Temel but not Carlisle?

I dont understand why people rate carlisle, he may be tall and athletic but he doesnt kick bags or do much of what a key forward should imo.

The forwards i rate are talia, butcher, temel.

Black and griffiths also on what ive read.

I think you're being way to harsh of Carlisle. He's a late developer in taking up AFL and I'd suggest is one of the most versatile players of this years draft and an ideal selection at pick 18.

He's grown 22cm's in the last 18mths and he's still growing, during which time he's shown enormous progress in his development and there's strong evidence to suggest that hes got a heap of potential. At 197cm and with a desire to play as CHF (who's also played significant games as a CHB) I think he's the sort of player we should pick at 18 if he's still available.

I'm stumped as to why you rate Temel. He wasn't invited to draft camp. Hasn't even been mentioned by most expert commentators as being in consideration for a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st round. In fact a number have said he's most suited to rookie pick up. Sounds to me as Casey Sibasado mark 2. Sure Temel had a good 5 or 6 weeks at the end of the TAC cup, but he performed well partially due to his size and bulk against kids. To me he appears to be 1 dimensional and doesn't seem to have the potential as others.

Bloody nice work Doc!

Thanks mate, didn't expect a dissertation but that's great.

About time someone gave us a decent detailed opinion of what this guy has got.

Hearing that I think I'd prefer Carlisle or Griffiths.

No worries.

I've got some concerns over Carlisle's movement and pace off the mark - but I think it could be hammered out of his game and identified as an area that can be improved. As previously mentioned, he comes from a basketball background and grew 22 cms in 18 months! - with some estimated growth still left in him.

Griffiths I've been a fan of for a while now - is the best aerialist in the draft, an imposing size at 197 cms and 95 kgs with a booming kick .. however, he seems to be made of paper and I fear that while he has the size and strength .. he could become Scott Gumbleton or Adam Hartlett mk II, their bodies just break down too often, but again - nothing that can't be fixed (I think? :wacko: ) , he would be available in the 2nd round one would think.

I'm stumped as to why you rate Temel. He wasn't invited to draft camp. Hasn't even been mentioned by most expert commentators as being in consideration for a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st round. In fact a number have said he's most suited to rookie pick up. Sounds to me as Casey Sibasado mark 2. Sure Temel had a good 5 or 6 weeks at the end of the TAC cup, but he performed well partially due to his size and bulk against kids. To me he appears to be 1 dimensional and doesn't seem to have the potential as others.

seconded.

Hey mate,

Dr, your post is very similar to one on another footy site, a Carlton one, are you the same poster? Hence your name?

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewt...65&start=40

Edited by Nasher
Removed large quote

Dr, your post is very similar to one on another footy site, a Carlton one, are you the same poster? Hence your name?

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewt...65&start=40

Interesting, isn't it? Especially since the poster on TC is adamant that his post was plagiarised. My particular favourite bit was where Dr. J claimed to have watched a bunch DVDs to form such a comprehensive, "informed" view. The guy spent the year playing in the Colts and the WAFL reserves, how many DVDs could there possibly be?

Anything to say about this, Dr. J?

Interesting, isn't it? Especially since the poster on TC is adamant that his post was plagiarised. My particular favourite bit was where Dr. J claimed to have watched a bunch DVDs to form such a comprehensive, "informed" view. The guy spent the year playing in the Colts and the WAFL reserves, how many DVDs could there possibly be?

Anything to say about this, Dr. J?

I don't really care if it was plagiarised. It could have been completely made up for all I care.

At this point in time I have no other way of finding out info on this kid (I refuse to read Talking Carlton...) and for my own entertainment purposes whether it is real or not is irrelevant.

When he comes to play AFL I'll form an opinion by watching him play myself, but until then I'm happy to go with the possibly fabricated or plagiarised posts by the good Doc.

He's given me more insight into this particular kid than anyone else on this forum.

Its the same as old Haydo's posts and those by Nudge last year before the draft and trade week - if you take it to the bank you're a fool, but we're all entertaining ourselves here. Nothing more.