The Ben Griffiths Thread

Melon22

Very good points Enforcer25, however consider a player like Joel Selwood. Would we all like him right now. Futhermore,their are not too many quality talls .I rate Ben Griffiths as a quality big young man. Someone whom can take a contested mark, break packs and is extremely good with hands and feet. V

Very good below the knees with a great body to work with and as I said earlier,we have the knowledge on him. If the drafting people do not think he is up to it, they will not select him. Long way to go to November 26th

Minimum number of talls selected in the first 17 picks in the past 8 years is 4 (in 2006 it was 12).

Unless some new record is created, the best case we'll be looking at is 5th best rated tall at 18.

Minimum number of talls selected in the first 17 picks in the past 8 years is 4 (in 2006 it was 12).

Unless some new record is created, the best case we'll be looking at is 5th best rated tall at 18.

I agree with your point of view ,therefore, this may mean that our recruitment panel may consider a tall in our initial picks,and do not take two midfielders, may take a tall and a midfielder as Tim Harrington suggested on the TAC footy show on Sunday..this would then mean we may consider say, Scully, Griffith or another tall as our second pick and our 3rd(18) -another tall midfielder. There are plenty of quality midfielders about re this draft but talls a high premium.

Looking through the footage posted earlier, I couldn't help notice a similarity in plodding approach to a set shot with our last number 9.

Not too enthused by the kicking style or accuracy though. Does look like plenty to work with however.

Good point. Thankfully though as we're all aware, it doesn't mean they'll finish up ranked in drafted order.

Just been going through the talls whom are playing this weekends prelims in the TAC(UNDER 18'S)Cup and noticed Ben's birthday is tomorrow(17/09/1991.WOW-when this list was prepared back at the start of the season he was 197,100kls .And he seems like he has grown looking at him upclose but slimed down slightly.. Got a build like David Neitz. How good would that be,if he turned out like him? We need a big bodied player who is a great kick, prepared to throw his weight around and bring in our small forwards such as, Jetta, Maric, Wona etc.. Has overcome major injuries whilst growing,knee and ankles but has now overcome theseand will only improve. Our next Roughead only bigger and better?

Been playing as a low FF so far in the finals whilst playing mainly at CHF behind Luke McDonald during the year,the top goalkicker in the comp who is currently injured.

I'd say yes. As long as he can play... all you've told us is that he's got the body to be awesome.

Whilst the young ladies would think he is hot,refer http://rangesfc.matchvision.com.au/player/ben_griffiths,I think he will make a great Full forward. Dean Bailley has watched two young footballers individually up to finals- Scully and Ben Griffiths. With Paul Wheatley coaching Griffiths and others this year, we have a great insight on him. The pressure surely will be on him this week in the prelims. I know in his last game where he kicked 4 goals, they were impressed. He kicked 5 goals in one of the Vic.Metro team games.Key forward Ben Griffiths starred with five goals – the most for the match –was a statement hat came out of the match versus NSW,was the report .He was injured for basically the rest of the championship.But at least we could wish him a happy birthday

Edited by jayceebee31

Whilst the young ladies would think he is hot,refer http://rangesfc.matchvision.com.au/player/ben_griffiths,I think he will make a great Full forward. Dean Bailley has watched two young footballers individually up to finals- Scully and Ben Griffiths. With Paul Wheatley coaching Griffiths and others this year, we have a great insight on him. The pressure surely will be on him this week in the prelims. I know in his last game where he kicked 4 goals, they were impressed. He kicked 5 goals in one of the Vic.Metro team games.Key forward Ben Griffiths starred with five goals – the most for the match –was a statement that came out of the match versus NSW,was the report .He was injured for basically the rest of the championship.But at least we could wish him a happy birthday

Er... The Demons have been accused of a lot of things this year. We're supposed to have pulled players out of AFL and VFL games on the grounds of injury who were not really injured so that we could obtain some perceived advantage over rival clubs in terms of draft position or other reasons. Now, if they manage to spirit the birthday boy out of the eyesight of the 15 other clubs at the weekend when he's due to play in a preliminary final, then you can call me a believer.

Anyway, I thought we had a policy of not drafting players with injury issues.

Er... The Demons have been accused of a lot of things this year. We're supposed to have pulled players out of AFL and VFL games on the grounds of injury who were not really injured so that we could obtain some perceived advantage over rival clubs in terms of draft position or other reasons. Now, if they manage to spirit the birthday boy out of the eyesight of the 15 other clubs at the weekend when he's due to play in a preliminary final, then you can call me a believer.

Got your point Whispering Jack- but anyone with a heart has to wish the young lad especially what he has been through a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.See you Saturday Ben and kick the house down.(or at least 4)

Exactly. This is why, and with Ben Griffiths as the example, we'll be pushing hard to upgrade pick 18 to something even half a dozen picks earlier.

One of those guys whose potential far outweighs their exposed form.

Wouldn't expect him to go top 10 but he'll get picked up (a couple of people I know that work at Ranges are pretty confident of him and 5 or 6 others getting picked up)

Yes -expectd to be picked up quite early but not top10.Others include: Moore,Kennedy, Gysberts,McDonald, whilst a smokie is Ryan Wilson.

I'll happily confess I am not privvy to anything like some folk ( or profess ) but observing the various chatter.an element starts to firm up . i.e that Scully and Trengove will go one and two and that its more likely that Melbourne are looking to grab another KPP(potential ) either through direct drafting at or around 18 or using it with player(s) to trade to a better selection.

I tend to agree with Old and such that I doubt we'd get our first choice come 18. Also agree that it can be a bit of a chance lottery . Griffiths could be worth the gamble but theres a possibility of a smokey in the midst. Again some suggest that possibly Daw is this.

Im still not convinced we will retain 18.

Nor should we, if we are looking at picking up a KPF that's half decent. We need to upgrade this pick (a player plus 18 for a pick in the low to mid teens)

GREAT SUGGESTIOM. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL SEE HIM PLAY TOMORROW

Nor should we, if we are looking at picking up a KPF that's half decent. We need to upgrade this pick (a player plus 18 for a pick in the low to mid teens)

well..this is my thinking.. ...( bins at the ready !! :lol: )

There are far more mids..albeit of decreasing ability , than there are KPP..or any real talls for that matter . Not all teams are as blatantly after mids as we are. It is more than likely some half way decent lads might be available at around 15-20 than any tallish prosepcts of merit. if we are really relying on an element of luck to ais any good fortune with respect to a handy non-mid pick up at 18 we need to induct Harry, Hermione, Ron and the Three witches of Eastiwck to help comjur up something.

We might need, not just want, to trade in order to embellish our third pick if we are only looking at drafting a non smokie.

So then it comes down to which teams have picks they are at all tempted to forego and for what ??

I cant see that happening in the normal sense and so I feel we will in all likely hood trade with 18..and possibly upgrade our 34. if not then its really a dip in the lotto bucket at 34 so might as well go real left field. I still like Daw here ...for this very reason.. its a bit of rabbit foot stroking !!

In short..pick 18 might offfer up something to us thats more relevent than what we might get should we keep it.. Of course having said that if there were more than 2 sliders then retainiing is better.

Fun isnt it ?? :lol:

It really comes down to trade week and what comes shaken out of dem trees ;)

I thought that was only if they were of similar quality that they would pick the fit player over the injury prone player. I think that is what they may have done with Swift and Strauss, Swift had a problem with his knee while Strauss was fit. They may have to reaccess that with Swift playing 10 games and Strauss playing 0 games this year due to injuries.

I thought that was only if they were of similar quality that they would pick the fit player over the injury prone player. I think that is what they may have done with Swift and Strauss, Swift had a problem with his knee while Strauss was fit. They may have to reaccess that with Swift playing 10 games and Strauss playing 0 games this year due to injuries.

I think it was more the nature of the injuries Swift had suffered, rather than purely missing games due to injury.

I'd go so far as pick 18 and 34 and a player. Just how much further up that gets us is open to debate and of course depends on which player would be traded, and who would be interested in them.

How far we need to move up is also moderated by Butcher and Fitzpatrick almost certainly going earlier than Griffiths.

Let's imagine that Carlton wanted a hard-working mature-bodied key position player who can (some say) pinch hit down back as well; Miller and the picks might be enough to get their pick 11.

Given that Carlton are ****house at drafting once it gets past pick 1, they wouldn't mind the slight downgrade plus the extra chance at the start of the third round. :)

Yes -expectd to be picked up quite early but not top10.Others include: Moore,Kennedy, Gysberts,McDonald, whilst a smokie is Ryan Wilson.

Jayden Cass is another name that gone thrown at me on top of them but I don't think he's that great personally.

And he's a bit on the small side.

Interesting that Gysberts seems to be a bit of a slider. At the end of last year I would have though 100% first round but nothing much has been said about him

I'd go so far as pick 18 and 34 and a player. Just how much further up that gets us is open to debate and of course depends on which player would be traded, and who would be interested in them.

How far we need to move up is also moderated by Butcher and Fitzpatrick almost certainly going earlier than Griffiths.

Let's imagine that Carlton wanted a hard-working mature-bodied key position player who can (some say) pinch hit down back as well; Miller and the picks might be enough to get their pick 11.

Given that Carlton are ****house at drafting once it gets past pick 1, they wouldn't mind the slight downgrade plus the extra chance at the start of the third round. :)

Fitzpatrick? I don't think so. Griffiths looks a better prospect at this stage.

It was very disappointing to see him go off at the 12 1/2 minute mark of the first quarter. This was the second major injury to the ranges during the finals with McDonald also injured in the first final.. Griffith seemed to do a shoulder doing ruck play. Gee he is very injury prone- maybe a someone earlier suggested too much so as an early pick. Maybe too risky.

It was very disappointing to see him go off at the 12 1/2 minute mark of the first quarter. This was the second major injury to the ranges during the finals with McDonald also injured in the first final.. Griffith seemed to do a shoulder doing ruck play. Gee he is very injury prone- maybe a someone earlier suggested too much so as an early pick. Maybe too risky.

Listen to Dr J .. he speaketh the truth :lol: