Pick 9

deeflog

we wont get pick 9. nothing ever happens in trade week. so boring

Hey everyone!!

You know what this means - it's going to be a bumper trade week!! And we are going to get Pick 9!

Going to be AWESOME.

I'll bring the trail-mix.

Who else is bringing 'eats'?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So why would a good recruiting team like the hawks give up a precious top 10 pick for that??

They'd want Warnock/Frawley + pick 18

-for pick 9..

Would we do it??

Both of them by themselves would get Pick 9.

Would not do it.

Hey everyone!!

You know what this means - it's going to be a bumper trade week!! And we are going to get Pick 9!

Going to be AWESOME.

I'll bring the trail-mix.

Who else is bringing 'eats'?

happy to be incorrect on this occassion. who would have thought jordan mcmahon would have marked the ball arguably after the siren and kicked a goal from beyond 50m to win the game. Im glad he did

People just dont get it you have to give something to get something. I would trade Jared Rivers to obtain pick 9? Why? Because I rate Jared Rivers but do not rate him above our other defensive options in Frawley, Warnock, Garland and Martin. He is the oldest and is likely not to be at his best when we are ready for a tilt. He is proven to be injury prone. He lacks the flexibility of a Garland, Martin or Frawley on a leading player. He does not possess the strength of a Frawley or Warnock needed for a powerforward. He does not have the rebounding abilities of a Garland or Frawley. People need to understand that you need to give something of quality to get something. It is clear that many clubs that are in or getting close to the premiership window will be on the hunt for a key back ie: Geelong, Carlton, Hawthorn come to mind. I would not give away Rivers but I would put him up for trade and if I could get a pick inside 15 would give him up without hesitation. This may open the door to get a tall forward where pick 2 is too early to take them and pick 18 is too late.

rivers is the only one who has shown himself over a number of seasons. but he is injury prone.

i would consider it, only because i dont think there is enough room for all 4 in a starting 22 atm. if they think martin and garland are flexible enough to play in other positions or on different sized players then yes, but neither have done it long term yet...

I dont quite get the logic of some. We get someone...put a lot of effort ( ans they themselves do ) to get themselves up, improve..actually get to the point where they are dead set useful...and people want to go trading him for "potential" thats crazy. :wacko:

I dont quite get the logic of some. We get someone...put a lot of effort ( ans they themselves do ) to get themselves up, improve..actually get to the point where they are dead set useful...and people want to go trading him for "potential" thats crazy. :wacko:

its just fact of where our list is at. when it comes our time to push hard for the elusive flag, will certain players be in contention for a spot in that team? to be realistic i think Rivers would be border line for that and so i think if we could get the right trade for him now we gain an extra high draft pick, but if no trade gets done so be it and Rivers continues to play at CHB for the MFC and is hopefully around for our flag

Guest hangon007

Yip thats why very little gets done in trade week because the clubs are smarter that that ... unlike many around here who just want to trade for trades sake ... and all done in a "heart-beat" ... glad the wackos are in our forum and not in our recruiting staff. Unlike the Tigers where its the other way around.

"Jared Rivers is the oldest and is not likely to be at his peak when we are ready for a tilt." - Freak

Jared Rivers was born on 18/10/84. That means he will start season 2010 aged 25. Freak, how long are you prepared to wait for a serious tilt at the flag? I am patient but I am really hoping a for a tilt at a flag before Jared Rivers reaches retirement age.

He may not have be as good as each of Frawley et al in the areas you identified but he can most certainly read the play better than Frawley et al to be in position to either mark an opposition kick into the forward line, zone off to help a team mate or be with his opponent to spoil.

How many times in a pack is it River's fist that spoils an opponent's marking attempt?

Not tradeable.

people don't realise how good rivers is when he won the rising star award he was the third best backmen, so when garlang chip and wornock,are ALL playing rivers can go back to the way he played in his first year as the floating centre half back , because he reads it so well, he will stop many opposition forward entries. just like he did in his rising award year

people don't realise how good rivers is when he won the rising star award he was the third best backmen, so when garlang chip and wornock,are ALL playing rivers can go back to the way he played in his first year as the floating centre half back , because he reads it so well, he will stop many opposition forward entries. just like he did in his rising award year

He won the RS award 5 years ago as the 3rd best backman. Now five years later with the development of younger, quicker more agile and skilled defenders at the Club he is at best our third best backman.

Supports the argument for looking at a trade for Rivers.

We just have a better options to play KPPs and other defensive roles

You honestly believe Warnock would get pick 9? If they asked for Warnock for pick 9 then we would do it in a heartbeat.

Warnock is better than any defender they have, and Pick 9 this year is about Pick 14 in any other year so yeah they would do that and I don't think Pick 14 for Warnock is good for the Dees.

I would not do it.

I would be happy to explore trades for Rivers,,but Warnock's just got here ( as a better than competent player ). Theres no ral upside now with Jared...thats just footy

The game has changed a little since that year vince. Can today's game style against today's opposition sides enable to have a floating centre half back?

He's finding himself more one on one. He's still capable and a handy defender.

When Rivers is mentioned as potential trade by posters here, I'm sure they're all focussing on ways of "strengthening the list", they have nothing personal against Rivers. They see Rivers as someone at a particular age, with currency, in a defender unit with depth (& young).

Fwiw, the FD may think otherwise, at the end of the day it's speculation on improving the list. We're all Demons (at least I think we are :lol: ) wanting what is best for the club.

The game has changed a little since that year vince. Can today's game style against today's opposition sides enable to have a floating centre half back?

When Rivers is mentioned as potential trade by posters here, I'm sure they're all focussing on ways of "strengthening the list", they have nothing personal against Rivers. They see Rivers as someone at a particular age, with currency, in a defender unit with depth (& young).

Fwiw, the FD may think otherwise, at the end of the day it's speculation on improving the list. We're all Demons (at least I think we are :lol: ) wanting what is best for the club.

very well put HT

Warnock is better than any defender they have, and Pick 9 this year is about Pick 14 in any other year so yeah they would do that and I don't think Pick 14 for Warnock is good for the Dees.

we have big defenders in surplus and getting pick 9 would put us in a great position to pick up a KPF; i would 100% trade pick 9 for rivers/warnock, probably not for frawley and not sure about garland.

I would be happy to explore trades for Rivers,,but Warnock's just got here ( as a better than competent player ). Theres no ral upside now with Jared...thats just footy

Rivers will get his first full preseason in probably 5 years on the back of a pretty much injury free season, to suggest there's no upside in a 24 year old with his talent is off the mark. However, although I'm a huge fan and don't want him leaving, pick 9 would be too much to resist. Can't see a club going that high though.

bingo.

If I thought he would be injury free for the next 3 years..if he could regain at least half a yard.. if he concentrated a little more on what he does with the ball than niggling the opposition ( necessary..but priorities please !! lol ) then he's a keep. I just cant see it . hawthorn has shownthe way.. move players on whilst they still command some currency in the market.

Its about the club...not the player

we have big defenders in surplus and getting pick 9 would put us in a great position to pick up a KPF; i would 100% trade pick 9 for rivers/warnock, probably not for frawley and not sure about garland.

Warnock has another 6 or 7 years as a topline CHB.

And we are not sick with big defenders; Rivers cannot play CHB, Martin is being groomed for back-up ruck/tall forward, Frawley will play FB, and Garland has the question mark of an injury that ruined Matt Egan's career.

Pick 9 sounds great until you realise it's a lottery.

Giving up proven a 25 year old CHB isn't the best idea.

I think people are placing too much faith in two fairly unknown quantities.

Martin is good for pinchhitting in the ruck but is still a bit raw IMO.

Garland has had one very good year but has not played for a season now.

If these two have a big pre season and step up next year, then by all means trade Rivers at the end of next year.

But I don't think we should be gambling on these two players just yet; it is too early to trade Rivers.

Rivers will get his first full preseason in probably 5 years on the back of a pretty much injury free season, to suggest there's no upside in a 24 year old with his talent is off the mark.

That's enough to give an idea about dealing while the suns out. Any possible upside for Rivers at 25 (when traded) is clearly clouded by his fitness. One more serious injury and his value would be zip. If we got a first round pick for Rivers I would sign it.

I think people are placing too much faith in two fairly unknown quantities.

Martin is good for pinchhitting in the ruck but is still a bit raw IMO.

Garland has had one very good year but has not played for a season now.

If these two have a big pre season and step up next year, then by all means trade Rivers at the end of next year.

But I don't think we should be gambling on these two players just yet; it is too early to trade Rivers.

I would have thought River's continued fitness is much if not greater uncertainty than the issues you raise. Garland is a class act and was playing very good football at the start of this year before his injury.

I can see it all now. Melbourne trade Rivers for pick 9 who turns out to be another Luke Molan and never plays a game. Garland misses all of next year with an injury while Warnock and Frawley pick up some injuries next year also and are in and out of the side. Meanwhile Rivers plays every game for Hawthorn after a full pre-season and is in his 2004 form and is in All Australian mix at CHB.

Terrible idea to trade away from one of our few areas of strength. Rivers, Garland, Frawley and Warnock can all play in the one team, it's not like they're keeping eachother out of the 22.

We already have picks 1, 2 & 18 and I'm sure one of Panos, Vardy or Carlisle will be available by then. After our 3 picks in the top 20 last year we don't need another top 20 pick, we're already one of the youngest lists in the comp, there's nothing wrong with having some players on our list with some experience.

I can see it all now. Melbourne trade Rivers for pick 9 who turns out to be another Luke Molan and never plays a game. Garland misses all of next year with an injury while Warnock and Frawley pick up some injuries next year also and are in and out of the side. Meanwhile Rivers plays every game for Hawthorn after a full pre-season and is in his 2004 form and is in All Australian mix at CHB.

Terrible idea to trade away from one of our few areas of strength. Rivers, Garland, Frawley and Warnock can all play in the one team, it's not like they're keeping eachother out of the 22.

We already have picks 1, 2 & 18 and I'm sure one of Panos, Vardy or Carlisle will be available by then. After our 3 picks in the top 20 last year we don't need another top 20 pick, we're already one of the youngest lists in the comp, there's nothing wrong with having some players on our list with some experience.

Have you looked into the tea leaves and seen the scenario that Rivers cant get through a pre season for a sixth time and cant play? Does not bear thinking.

He is hardly an area of strength and Garland, Frawley and Warnock can ably match any opponent you would consider for Rivers and more. Remember he is our third best backman according to his most ardent supporters.

The issue with what we do with Pick 9 is a separate matter to what we get for Rivers. Try again with the tarot cards.

That's enough to give an idea about dealing while the suns out. Any possible upside for Rivers at 25 (when traded) is clearly clouded by his fitness. One more serious injury and his value would be zip. If we got a first round pick for Rivers I would sign it.

We're not going to get a first round pick for him because of his injury cloud. His suns going to come out next year and my bet is he'll be wearing Red and Blue.