How many draft picks wiil we use

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Just thought I would get peoples ideas on how many draft picks do they think we will use in this draft?

Now the more picks we use the more players we need to delist or trade prior to the draft.

Now must confess I'm not overly optimistic that many of our players have greater street value over their value to us.

With Robertson, Wheatley and Whelan gone that gives us 3 spots ... but I'm assuming Spencer will take one of those spots ... so we are back down to 2 spots

I'm kinda thinking we will use only up tto our 4th round ... If I'm right it means we need to delist or trade 5 more players.

1/ P/P

2/ 1st Round

3/ Ist Round P/P

4/ 2nd Round

5/ 3rd Round

6/ 4th Round

7/ 1st Pick Pre-season

Edited by hangon007

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

We won't get a 1st round PP - just the PP before the 1st round.

Thus:

1,2,19,36,53 ect ( or is my math wrong? It's been a long day)

I would go with 5 (1,2,19,36 and the psd) plus, as you mentioned, Spencer should get a promotion.

Who do we cut for this? I'm glad I don't have to make the call on the three more that need to go.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

Robbo, Whelan, Wheatley... Bartram, Johnson.

Bell or Newton if possible, but it seems to be a generally accepted 'wikitruth' that they are contracted for next season.

Not that I doubt it, I just don't know for sure.

Ive already noted on several occasions my firm beleif that we will trade. will we trade with the betterment of draft picks as its primary goal or just to take advantage of wahtever weather befriends ( or otherwise ) tradeweek. I think DB is looking for 6 new faces.. I have a gut feeling we will end up with 4 picks at draft and exercise one rookie pickup ..this plus a gain from trade will be 6.

Im not sure how much we could hope to improve pick 18...but maybe 34 and 50 with judicous addtions can be turned into a mid 20 pick. Pure conjecture here though. Some teams simply need nyouth and more youth in fact almost any youth, they just need numbers... We can look more to quality.

We will use pick 50, so 1,2,18,34 and 50 plus PSS draft pick 1(it wouldn't supprise me if we us this for Valenti)

This is what I think we'll do. We've got 3 spots already freed up (Wheatley, Whelan, Robbo). Add any three of Bell, Newton, Dunn, Miller, Bartram, Johnson to that list and we make enough room.

This is what I think we'll do. We've got 3 spots already freed up (Wheatley, Whelan, Robbo). Add any three of Bell, Newton, Dunn, Miller, Bartram, Johnson to that list and we make enough room.

Bell is contracted for another year? and Johnson?

Dunn will stay on current form, and if Barts is gone he will be the only one left who can do the run with role.

Edited by Mr Morton

I think it depends on trade week

- if we're able to free some list space by trading players

- if we're able to upgrade some later picks

- if we get a opportunity to trade someone suitable in

We will use pick 50, so 1,2,18,34 and 50 plus PSS draft pick 1(it wouldn't supprise me if we us this for Valenti)

I dont believe you have to formally use a draft pick to uplift a rookie.

Bell, Newton, Dunn and Johnson are contracted for 2010. Unless we trade them (I doubt it), they will be with us next year.

Guest hangon007
Bailey has expressed stated that we will add 5 players to our list during the off season.

Thus,

pick 1,2,18,34 and PSD pick 1.

This could change if we trade

All very easy to say ... but who else do we delist to fit those other picks in ... baring in mind you can't delist contracted players.

Plus are you also saying ... we will pass our 4th, 5th & 6 round picks?

I think it depends on trade week

- if we're able to free some list space by trading players

- if we're able to upgrade some later picks

- if we get a opportunity to trade someone suitable in

Yes, this will determine what picks we'll use come the draft. The FD has said it will keep it's options open during trade week, whilst not committing to a trade. Suck it and see....

edit: -

I'm not entirely sure, but I'll say we will use 5 picks in the ND (might include a trade) and the PSD pick. 6 changes.

Edited by High Tower

Pick 50 is pick 75 in a normal draft.

If you want to know why - read my signature.

I seriously doubt we will use pick 50.

Has it been confirmed if WS will get the 17 year olds out of next year's pool as well?

Has it been confirmed if WS will get the 17 year olds out of next year's pool as well?

They will have to change the dates of eligibility again for the year after next. I doubt they will do that again. They will just give the priority over 12 like the GC gets.

I don't know why you are asking this question two years out...

You may be confusing the 'priority out of draft selection of 12 kids' with the 'dates of eligiblity' changes for this year.

They will have to change the dates of eligibility again for the year after next. I doubt they will do that again. They will just give the priority over 12 like the GC gets.

I don't know why you are asking this question two years out...

You may be confusing the 'priority out of draft selection of 12 kids' with the 'dates of eligiblity' changes for this year.

I realise they'll probably get the same concessions as GC; but will the 2010 draft also be "shallow" i.e. chosen from a reduced time frame? 12 months (January92 - December92, giving WS the 12 picks from January93 - April93) or 16 months (January92 - April93, coming back to normal)?

Edited by Stop: Jurrahtime

You are over exaggerating here.... the draft is compromised by GC having access to 12 bottom age players. So even if they take all 12 from that age group it still on dilutes the draft by 12 players...so at worst pick 50 would be the equivalent to pick 62.

In the last couple of years, clubs that have wanted to offload contracted players (sydney and geelong come to mind) for slight changes in picks (even if it moves you down the order). The draft ruling is that if you trade for a pick then you have to use it...ie, suggestions to trade bell for pick 90 are nonsense cos then we would have to use pick 90. A better deal for us would be to package pick 34 with a bell/johnson/newton, a player that we will almost certainly delist next year and ask for a pick close to that (ie. pick 32)...that way we manage to help a player move clubs, academically improve our draft position and MOST importantly, free up an extra spot on the list...considering we are all desperately trying to find extra spots on the list, i can only envisage this kind of trade or combining 2 picks (18+34) OR 34+50 for a player we want.

In the last couple of years, clubs that have wanted to offload contracted players (sydney and geelong come to mind) for slight changes in picks (even if it moves you down the order). The draft ruling is that if you trade for a pick then you have to use it...ie, suggestions to trade bell for pick 90 are nonsense cos then we would have to use pick 90. A better deal for us would be to package pick 34 with a bell/johnson/newton, a player that we will almost certainly delist next year and ask for a pick close to that (ie. pick 32)...that way we manage to help a player move clubs, academically improve our draft position and MOST importantly, free up an extra spot on the list...considering we are all desperately trying to find extra spots on the list, i can only envisage this kind of trade or combining 2 picks (18+34) OR 34+50 for a player we want.

Pick + player for a better pick is the right idea, but....I recall last year Brisbane traded Anthony Corrie for pick 93, which they were never going to use, and Geelong traded C.Gardiner and King to the Saints for pick 90. So it can happen

Bell, Newton, Dunn and Johnson are contracted for 2010. Unless we trade them (I doubt it), they will be with us next year.

Well there are some fantastic decisions. People get stuck into Wallace and Richmond for contracting Schulz and Oakley-Nicholls and Hughes and all the rest of their deadwood. Look at our list. We'll have Bell, Newton, Dunn and Johnson on it next year. None of whom should be in our Round 1 team, none of whom have bright futures, none of whom really deserve a spot on our list.

So, still looking for another three spots. Miller, Bartram, maybe Buckley?

Edited by titan_uranus

You are over exaggerating here.... the draft is compromised by GC having access to 12 bottom age players. So even if they take all 12 from that age group it still on dilutes the draft by 12 players...so at worst pick 50 would be the equivalent to pick 62.

you're off the mark there...

yes, whilst the Gold Coast can take 12 seventeen year olds, outside of the draft... the remaining players are still no longer eligible for this draft, and won't be eligible until the 2010 draft... The age required to enter the draft was changed for this year, forcing the players to be 4 months older to be eligible than they were previously...

Read. My. Signature.