Liam Jurrah

Redleg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How collingwood tested him or had him before coming to the Dees? something like that.

Yes apparently paperwork wasn't sorted properly or something like that. Rupert Batheras was pushing to get him to the filth.

Rupert is a top bloke.

How collingwood tested him or had him before coming to the Dees? something like that.
Watched the replay on fox tonight - I am pretty sure Dennis Commetti brought it up and Bruce filled him in that he was at the Pies last year. I had to watch the replay to get my Jurrah fix. Must admit I got pretty excited when he took that one hander at the footy - as my hands went up I accidently knocked the lady in front - Saints supporter. :)

Must admit I got pretty excited when he took that one hander at the footy - as my hands went up I accidently knocked the lady in front - Saints supporter. :)

Liam Jurrah- promoting violence against St Kilda supporters since 2009 :wub::lol:

In the last 20 years I have seen three players who have really excited me when they first started. They look the sort of players that could take an opposition apart on their own and often did.

Jakovich

Farmer

Schwartz

I had this discussion with my old man today and after briefly thinking it through, I stated Jurrah as the most exciting player I had seen, in an MFC jumper. I thought of Farmer, but he was less consistent and didn't quite have the skills of LJ. I watched Jacko and he could take an opposition apart, as you put it RR, but I think LJ is on par with him there, probably even better. I can see him kicking a bag of 10 one day.

Edited by AdamFarr

I had this discussion with my old man today and after briefly thinking it through, I stated Jurrah as the most exciting player I had seen, in an MFC jumper. I thought of Farmer, but he was less consistent and didn't quite have the skills of LJ. I watched Jacko and he could take an opposition apart, as you put it RR, but I think LJ is on par with him there, probably even better. I can see him kicking a bag of 10 one day.

Saw Jakovich kick 11 in three Q's & then get reported back in '91. He was a true Flawed Genius Allen. Miss him.

Wow.

Nuff Said

Jacka had a Chronic Back injury & didn't make it to the '94 Finals series. If he had been fit, with him The Ox & G Lyon we would have been a serious threat, as it was we made a Prelim. Neil Balme was a good coach with the right Players.

What about the crowd today. Every time Liam got the ball the crowd went crazy just expecting him to do something brilliant. I can remember when Farmer first came on the scene he created the same sense of excitement but I think Liam is even better than a young Jeff Farmer. Liam has it all. My greatest fear is that we put too higher expectation on him to do those amazing things every week. I can't wait for next year with him part of our fabulous forwards.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I almost forgot this in the excitement of the goal and the mark but how good are the "thread the eye of the needle" kicks he can do? There were a couple today that sailed three inches over the head of a Saint and right to the bread basket of a Dee. The one to Miller to give us our first and then another to Robbo that was spoiled. I am truly excited what the next bunch of years will bring when we have guys like Jurrah, Sylvia and Watts running around the half forward line and giving millimeter perfect passes onto the chest of whoever is leading. I reckon I could kick 3 a game given that sort of delivery.

*Disclaimer - I couldn't kick 3 coz I can't kick over a jam jar but It's nice to dream.

Was completely thrilling to see Liams game today. To see all that extra stuff he does around the ball and even given his lack of core fitness his willingness to push himself, he looked hungry for the ball. I'm proud of the bloke for making it so far and for presenting himself in such a strong manner on such a big stage, just being himself I feel safe to say.

What I find most interesting is that he seems almost impossible to match up on. The free kick he recieved infront of goal was a perfect example. Gram caught out one on one with Liam just panicked, knew that he wasn't going to be able to move past, around or over Liam so just held him. His reach, his athletisism, his big hands and that pure talent is going to put fear into opposition coaches and players for years.

Go Liam you good thing.

Ps. Loved Sylvia's huge smile after Liam kicked his first, he was in awe I reckon.

Jakovich hit the AFL/VFL ground running and was winning games off his boot in his first year. It was mercurial.

With no criticism of Jurrah, he has been very impressive and exciting but not at Jako's level in their first year.

I agree with Rude Boy that hopefully the best is yet to come from a player so talented and so raw.

Its somewhat staggering given the social, cultural and sporting hurdles he has faced that he has come this far. I hope he continues to enjoy his AFL journey and I trust with a full pre season he will be better.

Jacka had a Chronic Back injury & didn't make it to the '94 Finals series. If he had been fit, with him The Ox & G Lyon we would have been a serious threat, as it was we made a Prelim. Neil Balme was a good coach with the right Players.

We still would have got socked in the prelim final by the eventual premiers in 1994. WCE were a class act at every level that year.

You are right about Jako being a flawed genius. I just wonder whether you can actually have confidence that a side can go further in the finals with a player who can be so hot but often so cold (and at the wrong times). I sometimes wonder this with Fevola at Carlton. I know Ablett Snr played a cracker of a GF in 1989. But he also played 3 absolutely appalling GFs in 1992,1994 and 1995.

His "hand of god" mark must be a contender for mark of the year.. Was so sublimely elegant ..and how simple..to think ..all you do is stick you hand up to where the ball has al but passed you and steal it from the opposition. Even he was a little surprised..but not totally I noticed.. :D :rolleyes:

What a special talent we have on our hands. Think about the damage he would have caused if he was forward all day? To know he came into the club this year with zero fitness base and to be chipping in with 4 goals on a few occasions is so above anyones expectations. The sky is truly the limit for Jurrah.

Bailey couldnt afford Jurrah up front all day !!! ;)