Gary Lyon Coaching Journey Starts

Mousey

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would this mean he is coming to the Dees? If for example DB does well in the next few years where does that leave DB and Lyon? Very interesting....im not so sure it's all about coming to the Dees.

Edited by Mr Morton

yay Gazza!! would he really give up all of his TV, newspaper and radio deals for coaching though??

he is probably getting better money right now and doesnt have to deal with the stress

Edited by cooko

This should not concern Bailey at the slightest.

He is contracted, and is there to do a job. He has a path and I hope he does not deviate from it because of any external pressure on his position.

If we win anywhere between 6-8 games next year, and see some real improvement, he should get a new 2 year contract to continue the good work that he has started.

And just remember, if Lyon takes over in the next few years and goes on to succeed, it's going to be on the back of the hard work that Bailey and his coaching team have put in, and the sacrifices they made to their own win/loss ratio in order to give us a brighter future.

Some of the reactions in this thread are ridiculous... My heart tells me I'd love nothing more than Gary Lyon to coach the Melbourne Footy Club...

However my head tells me that whilst he'd bring a lot of passion to the role, no doubt Dean Bailey is far more qualified to coach our footy club, and shouldn't be going anywhere for at least another 3 seasons...

I would've though the AFL would absolutely everything in their power to get Garry Lyon in place as coach of WS18, especially now that Buckley is tied up.

They need big personalities who are likely to succeed - who else fits that bill?

He is contracted, and is there to do a job. He has a path and I hope he does not deviate from it because of any external pressure on his position.

If we win anywhere between 6-8 games next year, and see some real improvement, he should get a new 2 year contract to continue the good work that he has started.

And just remember, if Lyon takes over in the next few years and goes on to succeed, it's going to be on the back of the hard work that Bailey and his coaching team have put in, and the sacrifices they made to their own win/loss ratio in order to give us a brighter future.

Absolutely spot on.

Would be nothing better than Gary Lyon coaching the Demons at some stage, at the end of DB's contract would be perfect!!

so Dean bailey to do the hard yards in experimenting and garry to seek the rewards....yep sounds great !!!

Please come home Garry, please!!!!!!

Not that I want him to take DB's job from under him.

BTW - Totally agree with you Jaded, and I know Garry would be the first one to thank DB & his coaching team.

The only way Garry Lyon is coaching the MFC is if we start next year horribly and Bailey is gone by Rd 12.

Don't see that happening, I don't want to see that happening, so maybe I am clouded by my desire to see the Dees progress.

Jaded is right though.

This team was always going to win between 4 and 7 games. Thankfully, Bailey put the club first and ensured it was 4.

All of the losses at the start of the year were deliberate?

If Dean Bailey was concerned about nothing more than his win/loss record, he would have topped up the list with mature, experienced players, traded away early picks, kept TJ, never would have dropped Robbo, Wheatley or Whelan, would not experiment with positional changes, and would not tank (see Essendon and Freo).

If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

I realise you've got it in for Bailey and his forward structure :rolleyes::rolleyes: , but he has done more for the future of our club in 2 short years than many coaches have before him. He has done that because he is motivated by long term success, which he may well not get to be a part of, and not by his own short term success.

Whether or not he coaches us to a premiership, is in no way a reflection of how influential he is in getting us there.

I for one will be forever thankful to him for having the balls to put his own ego and reputation aside for the sake of my club's future, whether he coaches us for another year or another ten.

Oh god!

I'm sorry, but people whinge and complain about Bails, yet they would entrust our club to a completely untried media personality?? As far as I am concerned, so long as we see some significant improvement next year (I'm talking 6-10 wins) and better list/injury management, I am more than happy to give Bailey another crack. I would hate to see Dean Bailey have pulled us through a complete rebuild only to miss out on the opportunity to lead our talented list (which he has built) to a potential premiership.

As for Garry Lyon, don't get me wrong he was a great player and captain etc., but since he moved into the media I have had less and less time for him. I have felt that at times, especially in the years when the club was really in crisis, he did little publicly to defend the club and offered little in the way of public support. I understand that he has played a background role for a long time, but I would have preferred him to be a little more uncomprimising in his public displays of support for the MFC. I do however acknowledge the prominent role he has taken since Jimmy Stynes took over as president, and I am very grateful to him for leading the Casey arrangement as well as his support, both financial and in the media, of our Debt Demolition. Regardless, at this stage it is all speculation, and Bailey is contracted for another year anyway!

We should not let the media get away with this kind of destabilisation, especially at a time where we can start to see glimpses of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You just have to look at what that bin forager Hutchison wrote about ex-pres Gardner in the Hun the other day!! I would urge you to call up radio stations and write comments to newspapers whenever you see/hear them make ridiculous comments about OUR club. We ARE a passionate bunch, and the media and football worlds need to know that we will no longer stand being pushed around like little children. Whilst we may not be in the inner sanctum, if you are a member it is YOUR club and WE know it better than any self-serving journalist. Get fired up, demons!

Agreed on your points Jaded.

As far as I'm concerned the last two years were just about turning over our list and developing the young players that will be there for our premiership tilt in a few years. Dean Bailey should be given at least 2 more years after next year to develop the list that he has built up and to realistically see what he can do. I think that's an acceptable to time frame to see any real improvement. Granted we all expect some improvement next year.

It'd be very smalltime to just get rid of bailey after next year, if there is some improvement, for a past champ who would get a list brimming with talent and did not go through the slog of trying to coach the substandard list we have had for the past couple of seasons.

Agreed

Lyon IMO should have made his move into coaching a few years ago

Guest Digga

I'd quote Jaded's post but as everyone else has, so doing it again just looks stupid (hint)....

Bailey stays.

Lyon - forwards coach?

Like this idea. although I can't see him giving up the MONEY in TV to be a forwards coach at Melbourne which is a full time job.