Power Forward

btdemon

Despite being very excited about our new talent, I still think we will need a power forward to be a fair dinkum finals challenger.

Some of the more forward-thinking scribes believe power-forwards are a thing of the past. Or perhaps that effective forwards are more desirable than "power" forwards.

I reckon it's somewhere in between. Yes, the Dogs have a gun set of forwards who score and score. But how much better would they be with a good pack-splitting forward who they can crumb off? With that extra option? On the flipside, having a power-forward can sometimes be a drain. They need so much space, and limit your flexibility so much. If they're as good as Brown, then it's all great. But if they're in decline, like Hall, Tredrea and even the great Neitz in his last years, it actually only limits you. Personally I think it'd be good to have one in the side, as an option, but not as a one-man forward line. Pavlich would be ideal. Or a younger Pavlich anyway. He has the flexibility to go anywhere on the ground, OR play a sole-forward role.

Would be nice to get pick 1 and 2, and trade pick 2 to the Crows for Kurt Tippett.

The Crows could then take the young South Australian Trengrove with that pick 2.

I doubt they give up Tippett, but you never know.

Good idea in theory, as I would dearly love a good big marking player at pick 2, and there doesn't seem to be any in the draft category. As for Hall, forget it, and with Tippet, I just don't think he's surplus enough for them to let him go. They love him in Adelaide, and I seriously doubt they'd sell-out their future.

Pavlich, maybe, if we were enough of a threat, but even he is too important to them, and probably a bit advanced in age. He'd end up being another Bruce/Green player who will be declining at juuust the wrong time. If there was a resident superstar at the age of 25 or so? Then I would hope we'd dangle pick two. THAT would be a big call to make though.

I'd take a well balanced, multi-dimensional forward line over a single power forward any day, and in my opinion that is now where we're heading. I reckon a power forward is a nice-to-have rather than anything we should base our plans around, as I don't think we're going to have one in our side any time soon; and we're not alone there.

I'd take a well balanced, multi-dimensional forward line over a single power forward any day, and in my opinion that is now where we're heading. I reckon a power forward is a nice-to-have rather than anything we should base our plans around, as I don't think we're going to have one in our side any time soon; and we're not alone there.

I agree. The forward line is actually progressing really well. If players continue to develop it will have a nice mix of strength, class, pace, skill and X factor. Its great to see a bit of potency emerging.

didn't we recruit jack watts for this job?

He'll play the Riewoldt - where's our Kosi or Roughead?

Unfortunately it seems that at the moment there's no stand-out key forward prospect at the pointy end of the draft.

Just a little draft smokey - Justin Van Unen.

Forward who plays for Oakleigh in the TAC this year - Richmond were intially planning to select him last season in the PSD - but the Ben Cousins saga saw them change this.

He isn't the tallest forward going around (187 cms) - but he is powerfully built like a Brendan Fevola with a very impressive kick (has kicked bags of goals in the TAC).

Did his knee last season, so is just starting to get back his explosive speed off the mark.

5b487c5fc3cb8bf4c07886ece5ec8975_resized

Great build for an 18 year old.

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

The Bulldgos are living proof that this is not the case. A team of small forwards can win games and be successful. Since Power forwards are hard to find I'd like to follow the Bulldogs lead

The Bulldogs will not will a flag with their undersized team.

We had 38 Inside 50s and we are still stuck on the forward line?

I thought we had this argument about 2 months ago - we need a decent midfield.

Our forward line is raw but promising, our midfield is in dire need of some class and run.

True, true and true. If you're concerned about the real problem, this is it.

By all means keep discussing the merits or otherwise of "power forwards". But it's a moot point until there's more reliable and better quality supply from the midfield. A "power forward" can't make up for a seriously deficient midfield.

Think we should take a punt on this kid from the Western Jets U/18 side, Majak Daw. Some will remember there was an article in the paper about him a few weeks ago that was posted here. He's an 18 year-old Sudanese forward/ruckman, around 197cm with HUGE leap and exceptional pace. Smokey with unlimited potential. People who know him rate him as just as good a chance to make it as Nick Naitanui. Serious athletic ability and the boy can play too.

Have seen him play live for the Jets once last year and in that match saw him take a big pack mark and make some great run-downs. This year he has consolidated his spot in the Jets team and has been improving rapidly. Along with his great leap and speed, has got pretty good skills too. Huge pack marking ability. X-factor written all over him... Long-term project player, definitely worth a punt with a late pick.

l_c1da548042864de9a7b1311572ca1f01.jpg

l_7ee9a79daae442699b1ea7fd516dba86.jpg

Think we should take a punt on this kid from the Western Jets U/18 side, Majak Daw.

He looks to have a solid build on him.

Where in the draft is he likely to go?

EDIT: In that article it says he may go in the Rookie Draft if an AFL club wants to take the gamble.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

CB, not sure really. You'd think he'll probably go early in the rookie draft, or perhaps a club who's had their eyes on him might take a punt with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Honestly, I think he'll be lucky to get drafted at all, although recently, according a mate who sees quite a bit of the Jets, he hasn't done his chances any harm, and his absolute freakish athletic ability is stuff that recruiters and footy clubs dream of.

You'd think he'll probably go early in the rookie draft, or perhaps a club who's had their eyes on him might take a punt with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Honestly, I think he'll be lucky to get drafted at all, although recently, according a mate who sees quite a bit of the Jets, he hasn't done his chances any harm, and his absolute freakish athletic ability is stuff that recruiters and footy clubs dream of.

Considering the shallowness of the draft, and the amount of upside in him, he must be a chance for a late pick. He'd come with a large and very colourful supporter base. Those Sudanese drums echoing around the MCG would be a buzz too!

Considering the shallowness of the draft, and the amount of upside in him, he must be a chance for a late pick. He'd come with a large and very colourful supporter base. Those Sudanese drums echoing around the MCG would be a buzz too!

i like it allready, bring him on

Think we should take a punt on this kid from the Western Jets U/18 side, Majak Daw. Some will remember there was an article in the paper about him a few weeks ago that was posted here. He's an 18 year-old Sudanese forward/ruckman, around 197cm with HUGE leap and exceptional pace. Smokey with unlimited potential. People who know him rate him as just as good a chance to make it as Nick Naitanui. Serious athletic ability and the boy can play too.

Have seen him play live for the Jets once last year and in that match saw him take a big pack mark and make some great run-downs. This year he has consolidated his spot in the Jets team and has been improving rapidly. Along with his great leap and speed, has got pretty good skills too. Huge pack marking ability. X-factor written all over him... Long-term project player, definitely worth a punt with a late pick.

l_c1da548042864de9a7b1311572ca1f01.jpg

l_7ee9a79daae442699b1ea7fd516dba86.jpg

Wow Imagine that Dude & L.J. Prowling the forward line. I like it.... :rolleyes: Can He kick Straight & long?

As I said in another thread, our forwardline is beginning to look quite dangerous. I think the makings of an extremely successful forwardline are there...Bate, Watts, Jurrah, Aussie, Jetta, Sylvia, Petterd and I'm sure I'm missing someone. If you think of Geelong and their forwardline, you don't necessarily need two power forwards, like the Hawthorns. I'm now firmly in the 'fix up the midfield' camp and if we do that, these already exciting youngsters will start to blow games apart. That said, for some insurance, I'd pick up Vic Metro's Carlisle with my first second round pick (obviously, if available).

Can He kick Straight & long?

From what i've seen (mind you i've only seen him play once), he looks to have the mechanics of kicking down pat. Didn't see him drill any long ones, but has a nice kicking action with his field kick. He doesn't look unco at all. He's a real "power athlete", so i'd imagine with those strong legs he'd have it in him to be a 50m+ kick. Looks to have an uncomplicated, relaxed kicking style, so he's obviously been coached in the fundamentals very well early in his career, given that he hasn't picked up any bad habits of kicking naturally with an awkward action (like guys like Frawley or Bate, for example).

I saw him play last year and thought he was a bit rough around the edges, but with real potential. My mate says he's improved out of sight this year, so i'd imagine his skills will definitely be better than when i saw him. Like Naitanui, he's seen as a real 'project-player', athelte first, footballer second. But unlike NN, whoever picks him up will be getting him at a bargain-basement price of probably a ND 4th rounder or a rookie-draft pick, unless one club suspects another will be going after him and want to get in first.

And in terms of marketing value and in community involvement and asymilation, it would be so fantastic for the Sudanese community to have representation in the AFL. He'd be a hero for all the young Sudanese kids to aspire to become, much in the way Liam is back home in Yuendumu. Not to mention the thousands of new members he'd attract to the club.

Make it happen BP! ;)