GAME DAY - Close one down at Geelong

melbournefc18

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Master Bate played an excellent game today. Put him in front of a class Midfield & he will perform no doubt.

agreed with bate, IMO bennell was outstandind today,i just hope hes kicking is up to freaks standards.

Why are we bothering?

The umpires are going to make sure that the Cats win the premiership this year. Just call it off now - hand them the flag, hand us scully and we can all concentrate on how poor the Aussie cricket team are (don't get me started on those impires!!!!).

Seriously, the 1st half today was the most biased, 1 sided display of umpiring i've seen all year. You can't touch Geelong, and nothing they do gets paid. Its not like they need the assistance.

I think we need to master the art of the disguised "throw" in contested situations, because Geelong have made it an artform.

Why are we bothering?

The umpires are going to make sure that the Cats win the premiership this year. Just call it off now - hand them the flag, hand us scully and we can all concentrate on how poor the Aussie cricket team are (don't get me started on those impires!!!!).

Seriously, the 1st half today was the most biased, 1 sided display of umpiring i've seen all year. You can't touch Geelong, and nothing they do gets paid. Its not like they need the assistance.

Can anyone explain the free that Hawkins received after he stuck his foot into Warnocks guts in the 3rd quarter at Full forward?? I don`t think Warnock touched him apart from his guts on hawks boot?? I am still scratching me head on that one!

Solid performance against a strong side. The boys didn't throw in the white flag after a poor first quater, which was brave.

I still think we struggled connecting rebound 50's to Forward 50 entries. In contrast to the last two weeks, I think we also struggled with defensive pressure. Something I feel should be extra emphisised on against Geelong.

Edited by Beamer

Solid performance against a strong side. The boys didn't throw in the white flag after a poor first quater, which was brave.

I still think we struggled connecting rebound 50's to Forward 50 entries.

Yes our midfield is woeful against top opposition, which is why we must recruit class next year.

Interesting to hear everyones thoughts on the Female commentator.

It's not because she is a woman I don't like her, it's that she has a horrible voice.

She was also extremely biased against us.

She's from Adelaide, so it's unlikely that she's a Geelong supporter. But she came across as chief of their cheersquad.

What bothered me most about her was that she hadn't bothered to learn the players' names. That's just a lack of professionalism.
That was the thing that stood out for me. It had nothing to do with her voice, it was the sheer lack of footballers names she failed to identify during the call. If Kelli gets this right she will be ok.

That was the thing that stood out for me. It had nothing to do with her voice, it was the sheer lack of footballers names she failed to identify during the call. If Kelli gets this right she will be ok.
It's not because she is a woman I don't like her, it's that she has a horrible voice.

She was also extremely biased against us.

She's from Adelaide, so it's unlikely that she's a Geelong supporter. But she came across as chief of their cheersquad.

This is the worst coverage Ive heard from a comentator "Keli Underwood"

I was under the Impression that commentators were supposed to be at least 90% unbiased in their commentry. Either she had a date with Ablett or was being wined and dined by the Geelong football club tonight, some of the things she said where just so wrong and so sad and her voice is worse then when chalk squeals on a blackboard.

Her commentary left much to be desired

I quote " Sweeping handball back to Mackie ..OHH...(Sigh) and perhaps a rare error from Geelong on that occassion (tone of dissapointment) and Mortons taken the mark"

Her inflections in her commentry were more than apparrent on numerous occassions.

She lets her self down as well as those who have no choice but to listen to her.

This is the worst coverage Ive heard from a comentator "Keli Underwood"

Her inflections in her commentry were more than apparrent on numerous occassions.

She lets her self down as well as those who have no choice but to listen to her.

Yes, there was an audible sigh when a Geelong player dropped a mark.

I listened to the ABC commentary for a couple of quarters. Have my problems w. them, too -- the whining MacLure especially & the constant use of "Pettard" -- but they were far more positive about the Dees. (i've had the luxury of watching the replay on Fox tonight).

I smell some mysogyny...

What a pathetic comment. I was quite prepared to judge her on her merits, but had to turn the sound down. The voice was like a nails down a chalkboard for me. Her flat, nasaly vowells made Andrew Maher sound like Richard Burton.

And her comments/cliches were particularly annoying.

I couldn't listen to her again.

What a pathetic comment.

Spot on Hannabal. Anyone finding fault with her is going to be a target fort he mysogyny charge but I agree with other posters:her voice is grating - too nasal and more ocker than I have heard in a commentator for a long while.

The worst elements I found in her work were firstly that she does not really understand the game and while she knows what is going on she was not able to anticipate what was going to happen so failed to get excited as Bate's long shot ran on and on with the wind to be esorted through by Jurrah. There were a couple of other instances like this including the Morton one referred to earlier.

Like so many others she cannot pronounce PettERD and seems to be having trouble with Jurrah who is getting Jarra. How hard can it be?

But my biggest issue with her was that she does not know when not to speak. I got sick of the fact that she rabbited on when there was no need. In short, she would not shut up at all.

I also bristled at her reference to the "three Melbourne supporters that are here" getting upset at an umpiring decision. I mean really, talk about falling into the misrepresentations right from the start. She could be a break with the past - first woman commentator etc, but no, she wants to play just like the boys. Weak as. If slinging off at us in a difficult time is the best she can manage then rack off sister and go sit with Duhwayne.

Edited by pitmaster

Yes our midfield is woeful against top opposition, which is why we must recruit class next year.

We failed to use the wind properly in the second quarter - ran too much with it when a long kick would have put pressure on their defense. Also, our forward structure broke down with too many pushing forward to assist in that running game so when the ball did come in we were out-numbered.

What a pathetic comment. I was quite prepared to judge her on her merits, but had to turn the sound down. The voice was like a nails down a chalkboard for me. Her flat, nasaly vowells made Andrew Maher sound like Richard Burton.

And her comments/cliches were particularly annoying.

I couldn't listen to her again.

Oh, please.

Some on this thread don't like her because they don't think their footy should be called by a woman.

Frankly, I don't have time for most commentators and she has got a problem with her cliches and stating the bleeding obvious but would there be a long thread like this for a male just starting out?

And I stand by my Michael Christian comments, he is awful.