Get Buckley as coach

jumbo returns

Bailey would be more suited to a red nose and floppy shoes I would rather have Magic coach the club. His flood at all costs game plan sickens me. Seriously he is doing his job his incompetence should garantee us picks 1&2 at the end of the year sack him and go for the man we should be talking about and that's Todd Viney. Hawthorn have been lost without him and he's at the biggest club in the AFL in Adelaide who are looking at a top 4 when at the start of the year most people thought they wouldn't make the top 8 and more importantly he bleeds red and blue and you can garantee the gay [censored] we are playing at the moment won't be tolerated like it has been with Bailey. Forget Buckley we'd have to pay him a fortune and forget Lyon he was the [censored] that recruited Bailey in the first place with his Neil Balme style airy, fairy teacher crap.

You certainly tell it as you see it.

"IF" for some reason, the club were going for anyone as a new coach after next year - if things went that way. I would hope that the club does look at Todd Viney as a possible replacement. He was highly regarded at Hawthornfc. From the outside view, I think Adelaidefc would be happy with him as an assistant.

If Buckley commands a fortune - as you say. What do you think Viney - with much experience now - would be worth? I would say he'd be up there as one of the most sort after now. Don't you think?

Would he be more worthwhile getting him as an assistant role within the club. Ie Midfield Coach? Would he be interested in a Senior Coaching role? Do we know? I'm not sure just yet.

So what is proposed is that we sack the Coach who is teaching kids to play AFL

Yeah teaching them how to play AFL the way he used to play. He lost the playing group in the first couple of rounds when we were getting belted and he refused to make changes to the team and change that mess that he calls a game plan. He tolerated losing blamed it on getting used to the game plan when he should of ripped the club to shreds and it has cost him what little respect we had was gone and now we are left with a shell of a side with no confidence expecting to lose every week.

Yeah, I put Buckley and Voss in the same ball park, except Voss captained premierships and Buckley captained Collingwood.

But seriously, neither of these guys have ever dealt with crap facilities, shattered lists, total absence of established champion players, continuous financial tension, minimum possible salary caps, and limited coaching support staff.

The guys came from the lands of intravenous drips, hypoxicators and high-altitute training junkets. Not to mention bonus salary cap concessions.

This time next year we'll have all the facility essentials up to a very good standard, but none of the la-de-da those two have only ever known. Right now our facilities are a lower relative standard than even our current on-field performance.

Coaching Melbourne is a tough, tough job. Particularly at the times that both Bailey and Daniher before him came in. Can we refrain from sticking in the boot just a little bit longer?

And for what it's worth, it was four weeks ago that all sorts of people were openly talking about the strength of spirit, courage and effort to support teammates that we were displaying. It was the turnovers and inexperience which let us down, and not by big margins. We're slumped at the moment, we're obviously sapped of mental strength. But seriously, why not take a moment to enjoy comparisons with Carlton getting thrashed just as badly despite all their super-picks and star trade-ins being three or more pre-seasons developed than ours?

Yeah teaching them how to play AFL the way he used to play. He lost the playing group in the first couple of rounds when we were getting belted and he refused to make changes to the team and change that mess that he calls a game plan. He tolerated losing blamed it on getting used to the game plan when he should of ripped the club to shreds and it has cost him what little respect we had was gone and now we are left with a shell of a side with no confidence expecting to lose every week.

With that type of venom it sounds like you have been exposed to the inner sanctum. Recently retired or still currently listed?

In saying that, I am not a fan of Bailey, but also don't think Bucks is the answer. The fairytale still has a geniune allure for me - that is a senior coach with the initials G Lyon.

You certainly tell it as you see it.

"IF" for some reason, the club were going for anyone as a new coach after next year - if things went that way. I would hope that the club does look at Todd Viney as a possible replacement. He was highly regarded at Hawthornfc. From the outside view, I think Adelaidefc would be happy with him as an assistant.

If Buckley commands a fortune - as you say. What do you think Viney - with much experience now - would be worth? I would say he'd be up there as one of the most sort after now. Don't you think?

Would he be more worthwhile getting him as an assistant role within the club. Ie Midfield Coach? Would he be interested in a Senior Coaching role? Do we know? I'm not sure just yet.

Buckley is the love child of the media rated with the Voss's and Hird's. Viney is respected but nowhere near as much as Buckley. I think in the paper they had the betting on coaches and he was middle of the road I think there were 4 of 5 ahead of him. He should get a fair bit more than Bailey but nowhere near the money they are talking about with Buckley.

Why would he want to go from an assistant at Adelaide to an assistant at Melbourne? Doesn't make much sense really and yes he has said that he is interested in a senior coaching role I'm sure I saw it on TV.

that's why i said take some risks..........

I know exactly what you were saying, but if taking a risk means flushing $400k down the drain to give him the Tijuana Brass, then it aint going to happen.

Having said that, we did it with Paul McNamee, so I guess anything is possible!

I know exactly what you were saying, but if taking a risk means flushing $400k down the drain to give him the Tijuana Brass, then it aint going to happen.

Having said that, we did it with Paul McNamee, so I guess anything is possible!

Paul McNamee had terrible credentials from the start, head hunted by a desperate regime without direction.

I see Jim Stynes as a different type of thinker who wants this mighty club to not only survive, but to thrive. Buckley is in a league of his own.

What a catch he'd be....

I reckon Buckley will go to a club that is financial, meaning spends big $$ on their football dept. Coming from Collingwood where they spend bucketloads, he will want to give himself every opportunity to succeed which may mean a richish club that is willing to put in place exactly what he wants.

Melbourne can't do, not yet anyway, no way the roos can, not sure if the tigers can but they would probably be willing to go bust trying. I reckon if he goes anywhere it will be the pies.

All that being said though, whoever could turn Melbourne or probably more so with their following, the tigers around would be made a god, which could appeal to him also.

Wouldnt mind him as an assistant but not sure if he would want that.

I reckon Buckley will go to a club that is financial, meaning spends big $$ on their football dept. Coming from Collingwood where they spend bucketloads, he will want to give himself every opportunity to succeed which may mean a richish club that is willing to put in place exactly what he wants.

Melbourne can't do, not yet anyway, no way the roos can, not sure if the tigers can but they would probably be willing to go bust trying. I reckon if he goes anywhere it will be the pies.

All that being said though, whoever could turn Melbourne or probably more so with their following, the tigers around would be made a god, which could appeal to him also.

Wouldnt mind him as an assistant but not sure if he would want that.

Great Post ... shows passion.

Buckley anyday, will bring the dollars , the crowd, the experience of an A Grade Cap/Brownlow and champion,

He cannot be worse than DB

If Buckley or Viney wanted to coach Melbourne then I've no doubt they'd be given the job. However the club won't be changing coaches this year. So far Bailey hasn't done anything wrong. We are [censored] people, but we are young, it will turn around, there's just too much young yalent for it not too. Sacking Bailey now just makes us look even more like amateurs than we already are. Get used to the beltings there's a few more to come.

Viney well ahead of Buckley for my thoughts, if we do make a change for 2011. By then Viney Jr might be playing for us though, would that make it more likely or less likely?

But as for Bailey, what standards should we measure him to?

3 wins in first season? (Checker Hughes)

Or perhaps, going backwards from nine wins and a draw in his first, to three and a draw in his second? (Norm Smith)

Seeing out the three year contract is the absolute bare minimum of time Bailey deserves, no matter how painful in the meantime. We shouldn't really even be speculating about his future until at least half way through next year.

Viney well ahead of Buckley for my thoughts, if we do make a change for 2011. By then Viney Jr might be playing for us though, would that make it more likely or less likely?

But as for Bailey, what standards should we measure him to?

3 wins in first season? (Checker Hughes)

Or perhaps, going backwards from nine wins and a draw in his first, to three and a draw in his second? (Norm Smith)

Seeing out the three year contract is the absolute bare minimum of time Bailey deserves, no matter how painful in the meantime. We shouldn't really even be speculating about his future until at least half way through next year.

He has a little breathing space for a while yet.

The knives will be well and truly out if we start the season 1 and 6 or 1 and 7 next year. Lets pray this does not happen but it is a possibility with the amount of inexperienced kids we will have on the park next year! Bailey would like to be seeing signs that we are turning the corner by round 7 or 8 next year or he is GOOORRRN!!

Bailey has taken on this club as a total rebuild pretty much. Give him a chance! We all know where the club is heading. We will finish bottom this year again. Really! Who thought any different. Gold Coast come in next year. Give us two more young talents for the future.

Bailey should see out his contract and be given a 2 year extension!

We should be pushing 8-9 wins next year hopefully. Dont expect finals! I will be dissapointed if we are bottom three though.

Give him the extra two years to see the plan through...

Rate him on his 3rd, 4th and 5th year. Not 1 and 2! Thats just not fair!

Gettem BAILS! Red and Blue through and through.

Bailey has taken on this club as a total rebuild pretty much. Give him a chance! We all know where the club is heading. We will finish bottom this year again. Really! Who thought any different. Gold Coast come in next year. Give us two more young talents for the future.

Bailey should see out his contract and be given a 2 year extension!

We should be pushing 8-9 wins next year hopefully. Dont expect finals! I will be dissapointed if we are bottom three though.

Give him the extra two years to see the plan through...

Rate him on his 3rd, 4th and 5th year. Not 1 and 2! Thats just not fair!

Gettem BAILS! Red and Blue through and through.

I understand what you're saying, but we always seem to miss out on the 'premiership clock' so to speak. Smacked in 2000, we haven't been a contender for nearly 10 years. I know plenty of other clubs are in the same boat, but they went out and got high profile coaches....worsfold, matthews and roos. BTW, they all have one major thing in common and eade has been a new lease of life for the Doggies and they're not without some chance this year. Imagine the young draftees licking their chops at coming to a club that has a legend of the game waiting for them? I'm talking impact, impact, impact.

Anyway it's been good to get some healthy, friendly debate going...

Take care,

Jumbo

IMO it's fair to say Bailey's got the job next year. The way the finances are going at the club, they'd be foolish to not let him see out (at least the first half of) next year; the final year of his contract. If we're still anchored to the bottom half way thru next year, no doubt they'll pay him out. But to pay out the remainder of his contract at the end of 2009, as well as fronting up the cost of a new contract for a Buckley/Viney or whoever else is in the mix in 2010, would be waaay out of our reach, financially speaking. Where would we possibly find enough $$$ to do that??? It would take nothing short of an absolute disaster of a result this year for the club to move DB on at seasons end.

The only way i could possibly see DB getting paid out at the end of this year would be if we were to lose all the remaining games in '09, by an average margin of at least 50+ points, and finish with a W/L ratio of 1-21, plus a worse percentage than last year. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be much surprise to most non-MFC people if we only won 1 more or didn't win another game at all, after recent showings. 4 weeks ago i would have laughed, now, i'm not so sure to be honest. As much as it saddens me to say, it could actually happen. Finishing on 1-21 or even 2-20, with a % in the 60's would be disastrous. The question will be asked... Can Bailey really survive a result like that? It would make his coaching record after 2 years 4-40. A 10% win-loss ratio; most certainly the worst in the history of AFL.

Four wins this year would be ideal. 3 wins and mainly honorable losses would be a pass mark. 2 wins including several honorable losses and the occasional drubbing, and he keeps his job, though mainly due to financial constraints. 2 wins or less, with mainly thrashings along the way, and i'm not sure if he'd be around next year. Ironically, if we finish with 5 wins, i firmly believe he should get the sack. Whoever said the PP system wasn't flawed!? ;)

Improvement is the key though. Any final result that's worse than last year would be a massive failure, especially considering the draw we have, and the apparent improvement we'd shown earlier in the year. We play at least 5 winnable games against lowly opposition in the run home, as noted in another thread. I sincerely hope for the club (financially) and DB's sake that he scrapes in for at least another 2 or 3 wins before the year is out. It would be such a shame for him to build a great list, and not be around to enjoy the fruits of it's success. However there's very little room for sentiment in the footy world, and the lucky man who picks up this list after Bailey; whether it be a Buckley, Viney, or even a G Lyon or Matthews or anyone else, will have a far easier job than Dean has had, no doubt.

For Dean's sake, at least, i hope he gets 4 wins this year, and 8+ next. Only then can we consider contract extensions.