Scully's the man

rodent killer

Without a doubt Scully will be a gun! Recruiters and coachers who have seen and dealt with Scully have already said he is one of the best things to come out for years! The rest of the draft may not be as strong as last year.. but that relates to the depth.. Scully will be a freak!

Butcher – still depends on his kicking! 2.6 in the last two games is not good enough.. however it does prove he gets a lot of scoring opportunities and its only his kicking letting him down.. if he can fix that.. he will be very handy! There are a lot of midfielders in the draft.. but not many key tall forwards.. that is why he will still be snapped up

It is still early to tell though

1. Scully

2. Daylight

3. Daylight

4. Daylight

5. Trengove/Morabito/Fitzpatrick/Whoever

Is that really how it is? I mean, is there no one that stands out as being top 2 (other than Scully of course)? I don't know enough at the moment, except that Scully is very good and Butcher is not living up to expectations.

1. Scully

2. Daylight

3. Daylight

4. Daylight

5. Trengove/Morabito/Fitzpatrick/Whoever

Is that really how it is? I mean, is there no one that stands out as being top 2 (other than Scully of course)? I don't know enough at the moment, except that Scully is very good and Butcher is not living up to expectations.

personally i think scully is the best midfielder by far.. followed by trengove, then either lucas/koby stevens, then morabito

but you are right.. the number 2 spot is still very much up for grabs! this weekend and next wednesday might give us a clearer picture!

I don't know enough at the moment,

Your honest statement would apply to 99% of posters on forums (especially this one) who never actually see the younger players play, would not know a good player from an also ran if they and their "knowledge" does not extend beyond repackaging someone elses comments (whether or not the source has rehashed their comments 4th ot 5th hand from someone else).

There are however some posters that do go the yards to look at some of the younger talent and do have an eye and a knowledge for assessing it. There comments should be noted. But generally the knowledgeable ones are not some of the more obvious and vacuous self promoters here.

Caveat Emptor.

Your honest statement would apply to 99% of posters on forums (especially this one) who never actually see the younger players play, would not know a good player from an also ran if they and their "knowledge" does not extend beyond repackaging someone elses comments (whether or not the source has rehashed their comments 4th ot 5th hand from someone else).

There are however some posters that do go the yards to look at some of the younger talent and do have an eye and a knowledge for assessing it. There comments should be noted. But generally the knowledgeable ones are not some of the more obvious and vacuous self promoters here.

Caveat Emptor.

Yeah, I'll stick my hand up for that.

I've never even seen Fitzpatrick play, not even a 5-second snippet.

I was just hoping someone would bite and give me a better idea of what sort of player he is.

Its all speculation from nearly everyone even up until & including Draft Day

Caveat Emptor.

which is exactly why i plan on going to the dome on wednesday to check out the talent! :)

which is exactly why i plan on going to the dome on wednesday to check out the talent! :)

Couldn't get the day off work - give us a run down if ya can mate ;)

Must admit ...cant say have much opportunity these days to wander down to midweek games or training and such so will have to rely on the impressions of Predergast and others like him. Scully is #1 with space to 2nd.

It was good that we got the likes of Watts and Jurrah in last years drafts but its nigh on Extremely Important that we get Scully in this years.. any one else is up for debate but a real gun of a Midfielder is really our missing link. We have some forwards..some rusty ..some green and some just waiting to draw blood 9 as it were ) our backs are firming up and developing cohesion and poise ...our centre is a mish-mash as it seems the current players are simply playing th ewrong roles..or those not entirely suited to their strengths.

Im inclined to think should we be indeed fortunate enought to get him ( scully ) that a solid preseason will be all he requires before letting him loose in the middle. This year we dont really want to shine too much as it were but next year Bailey will know its time to roll dice and get moving, no more dreams picks await and its time to play ball, for real and for keeps.

Scully wouldnt be all that far off being 19 come 2010's season proper start and with a bit more growth and bulk i can see no reason not to put him in ( proviso is he is as good as he seems ).

Season 010 needs a whole different attitude to this year. His forthright , go get it style of footy is just what we need.

Personally ,cant wait for 2010...is going to be damn exciting to be a Dee ;)

you reckon scully will be that important immediately?

do you think the addition of scully to our midfield could turn aroud its current performances? We seem to have ok players there but none that are standouts. Do you think one player could make a difference or would he be destined to star in an average midfield?

i haven't seen him so i can't really judge.

From late last year:

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan believes Scully has all the attributes AFL recruiters are after.

“Tom is in the top bracket of young players … he’s an elite athlete, he has speed and endurance, he makes great decisions, his hands are so clean, he’s courageous and he’s a good size to play midfield,” Sheehan said.

“He’s also an outstanding young man in terms of his work within the game and outside the game, as well.”

Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats is similarly full of praise for the AFL/AIS Academy graduate.

“We liken him to Robert Harvey – he’s a very humble person, is a true professional and is very passionate about his footy,” Yeats said.

“He’s right up there (with the best I’ve coached) and I still don’t reckon he’s hit his peak.

“It’s funny because most weeks he plays with us he’s normally accumulating the most amount of possessions, but also probably the highest number of one-percenters, and from a coach’s point of view that is tremendous.”

If he becomes a Dee, by the end of his first year he'll be our best mid. And it could be a lot sooner than that. Right now he'd be a starting 18 player - and we'd be better for it.

He'd want be it's not as if he has a lot to beat. Butcher's 2 goals 6 tells me enough that we shouldn't recruit him we have enough bad kicks in the forward line without him. Definately 2 mids for mine.

Well scully will know the way to casey fields as they are playing some games there, good for him to geta feel of his new training ground :lol:

Tom Scully will be playing at Casey Fields on Saturday at 1:00pm. He plays for Vic Metro. The day's 3 matches at Casey Fields are:

Victoria Country vs Northern Territory at 11:00am

Victoria Metro vs Queensland at 1:00pm

Tasmania vs Western Australia at 3:00pm

He is also a local boy, has played there before (last year in the same championships) and would know his way there very well already. :)