• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Perspective

e25

Neil Craig is a coach who I have a lot of respect for and I think he is in the top 5 coaches in the AFL. The man knows the game.

I'd encourage anyone who thinks Newton deserves a game, who is crying out for Jurrah to get a run, who wants Strauss in the team as early as possible, or anyone that has a keen interest in the game to read this article by Emma Quayle in which he discusses his treatment of Taylor Walker and Adelaide's young players ( & even the Dangerfield section at the start is interesting).

The part I am talking about specifically begins under the heading 'Young Crows Have To Earn Their Place' and continues on from there.

I just hope Bailey's plan is this well-considered.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/crows...566.html?page=4

Great read, and so very true. I particularly like this... "conventional wisdom often has minimal information behind it before it becomes conventional wisdom".

I like what he has done with Dangerfied, and its going to reap the rewards soon enough.

I like his theories, but Adelaide are in a much stronger position than Melbourne in regrades to depth. Yes they didnt / dont have any forwards, but they have other contributers who can kick goals.

But I agree in essence. Hes a smart man Neil Craig.

I'd encourage anyone who thinks Newton deserves a game, who is crying out for Jurrah to get a run, who wants Strauss in the team as early as possible, or anyone that has a keen interest in the game to read this article by Emma Quayle in which he discusses his treatment of Taylor Walker and Adelaide's young players ( & even the Dangerfield section at the start is interesting).

What's this got to do with Newton? I'd have thought Newton's in a different category to Strauss and Jurrah.

A good article though. I had no idea Taylor Walker was on their list last year. I think Neil Craig has made some very accurate appraisals of where his young talent is at.

What amazes me is that nearly all of those players were taken late to very late in their respective year of the draft. The way he nurtures his players should be a lesson to not just Bailey but many coaches.

Imagine if he had our list!?

I wonder where every under-performing player on our list would be now....

Neil Craig is a coach who I have a lot of respect for and I think he is in the top 5 coaches in the AFL. The man knows the game.

The part I am talking about specifically begins under the heading 'Young Crows Have To Earn Their Place' and continues on from there.

There is 1 major difference between us and Adelaide is that they have all been winning games and have a strong experienced core playing well enough so the kids don't have to be thrown to the wolves. We on the other hand don't win games and have the poorest experienced core in the AFL. 2 different teams in 2 totally different situations. Let's see if Adelaide ever bottom out like we have if Adelaide don't change their philosophy.

Thanks E25, thats a good read.

I've been thinking about this very problem recently. When we took Dunn, Bate & Newton all as 17yr old, bottom agers, they haven't come on as well as they might.

I wondered why Craig was keeping Dangerfield @ Geelong Falcons for his first year still with the U-18s comp.

But seeing our 3 boys all still grappling with AFL level suggests to me that Craig is spot on.

I was recently thinking that it's not worth taking the kids too young, but this method may even be better than recruiting as 18 Yr olds.

If they were drafted as 17Yr olds & kept playing in an U-18 system & doing their schooling as well, all the while being overseen by the draftees club, could have great benefits for the kids outcome.

What amazes me is that nearly all of those players were taken late to very late in their respective year of the draft. The way he nurtures his players should be a lesson to not just Bailey but many coaches.

Imagine if he had our list!?

I wonder where every under-performing player on our list would be now....

Agree. Adelaide have been decimated with injuries over the past few years, and have a list of ageing stars. Craig has managed to keep the side competitive simply because he gets the best out of them, regardless of age. He could've taken the easy option of rebuilding, gifted himself some high draft picks, and given himself an excuse for the teams poor performance. And Adelaide are a club that can financially sustain being on the bottom for a few years.

And Craig's smart enough to modify his gameplan when the need arises. They are now playing route 1 football to great effect, despite the so called experts on this site believing that it's outdated.

Craig is a coach that I'd love to have in charge of the MFC.

No right or wrong, but different ways of approaching things.

At the last Mates of Melbourne Bash the MFC football department spoke about the statistics re the average amount of experience contained within a premiership team and that they had on average 150 games under their belt. Given the hole that we have in the 24-28 years age bracket it is therefore unsurprising that their stated approach will be to get as many games into our developing players as quickly as possible.

This is not to say that they we can expect to see them all playing together at once. However from what was said I would expect to see quite a few of our younger players getting some game time towards the end of the season.

I can see the logic in this approach given where we are and where we plan to be.

Perhaps if we had a more balanced list (experience wise) than an approach more similar to Neil Craig's would be taken.

Adelaide will struggle to challenge for the flag this year, as they have over pretty much the last 5 or 6 seasons.

They will always be there or thereabouts, but i struggle to see Craig's game plan bringing ultimate success to the Crows.

I wondered why Craig was keeping Dangerfield @ Geelong Falcons for his first year still with the U-18s comp.

Like Watts and Blease, Dangerfield was doing Year 12 in Geelong last year, travelling from Moggs Creek (btw Anglesea and Lorne) to school each day. He played a handful of games for West Adelaide and got a game or 2 for the crows toward the end of the season, He had very limited training with the Crows last year, largely to allow him to complete Year 12. There was an interesting article about him last year - him trying to juggle year 12 (living 40 mins west of Geelong) and training and playing with Adelaide and the SANFL(he would occasionally travel from Moggs Creek to Adelaide for training) as well as playing for the falcons - a tough gig!

To be honest, it wasn't THAT tough a gig for young Dangers -- the kid has travelled the 40 mins to & from Geelong for school with his father every day of his schooling life (his father is still a teacher there - he taught me some years back).

He barely did much schooling in his year 12 and received quite a few leniencies -- he was actually my younger sister's opposite as school captain and was never around.

The only hard part was 80 minutes every day when he sat in a passenger seat & either studied or slept. I know some kids who'd travel from Terang for Falcons (Jordie McKenzie actually) or there's even cases like Nev Jetta or Bennell ( 3or 4 hours from memory).

Respected absolutley

Top 5 ? based on what

Would Craig play Newton ?

This isnt the first football club Bailey has coached

The list of players that have yet to debut is quite long

Mo - Craig is a coach that I'd love to have in charge of the MFC

Not at all surprised by that as you still cant get over Bailey getting the job in the first place

How many years has Craig been in charge of The Crows ?

How many premierships has he won or even more rellavent ever got close to playing in one ?

They have plenty of Finacial Clout and we dont

They have excellent training facilities and we didnt when Bailey started

He has at least one ELITE player on his list we dont

In 2000 we were the second best side in the league and got absolutley smashed

I find it funny how your fast tracking fantasy gets us to a repeat of the 2000 scenrio

You are not patient enough to get it right

Finishing second SUCKS Mo

???

I think Bailey will prove to be a fantastic coach (I really have a lot of faith in him) and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same approach he'd take with MFC's list if he were afforded the same luxuries as Adelaide.

I just think Craig has proven he is an amazingly astute coach and I love the way he justified the approach he has taken.

I can see where understanding this mindset might make some supporters realise some contributing factors to why Newton is not getting a game, or why a player like Jurrah has not played at AFL level yet.

I'm not sure who this is argument directed at..?

What's this got to do with Newton? I'd have thought Newton's in a different category to Strauss and Jurrah.

A good article though. I had no idea Taylor Walker was on their list last year. I think Neil Craig has made some very accurate appraisals of where his young talent is at.

I think Newton currently plays the game in a fashion that leads Bailey to believe he's not ready for AFL.

And I worked flying in & out of Adelaide for most of last year and the papers and public were screaming for Walker to be put in.

I myself found it hard to believe why he could be kept out of the side -- obviously I now understand and I agree with Craig's stance on the matter.

???

I think Bailey will prove to be a fantastic coach (I really have a lot of faith in him) and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same approach he'd take with MFC's list if he were afforded the same luxuries as Adelaide.

I just think Craig has proven he is an amazingly astute coach and I love the way he justified the approach he has taken.

I can see where understanding this mindset might make some supporters realise some contributing factors to why Newton is not getting a game, or why a player like Jurrah has not played at AFL level yet.

I'm not sure who this is argument directed at..?

Mo64 mostly (reread my post and halfway down is his quote)

I just asked what criteria you based Neil Craig as a top 5 coach

Seeing as Roos , Thompson , Malthouse , Worsfold , Williams and Clarkson have won Flags and Ross Lyon and Rodney Eade are looking quite capable

To me the Crows have underachieved

It wasnt anymore than a question of debate

To give Newton the message he doesnt seem to be listening to is i would play him in the casey seconds and see what he can do

I just asked what criteria you based Neil Craig as a top 5 coach

Seeing as Roos , Thompson , Malthouse , Worsfold , Williams and Clarkson have won Flags and Ross Lyon and Rodney Eade are looking quite capable

To me the Crows have underachieved

Agree. Does anyone here actually believe the Crows will challaenge for the flag? Or even finish top 4?

Neil Craig and his list are huge underachievers. I know if i supported Adelaide i'd want more than they've given over the last 5 years...

I just rate him in the top 5 AFL coaches. I'm not going into it beyond that.

Its my opinion, nothing more.

They won't finish top 4, no way in hell.

But I don't see how you think they've underachieved either -- I haven't thought they've had a strong list for a few years, but I think they're going a long way to developing one.

There are other factors that affect a team's performance besides the coach.

Newton is a delicate one because confidence seems to be such a determining factor with him, and his is so fragile.

I don't know what i'd do personally & I guess this is another reason why I'm not an AFL coach.

But its also a reason I think he's just not up to AFL standard; you need to be mentally tougher than that.

I think Newton currently plays the game in a fashion that leads Bailey to believe he's not ready for AFL.

I doubt that. I think Bailey sees Newton as just not good enough. He's sent him back to Casey to work on what is required of an AFL standard forward, and until he consistently shows that he's making progess in those areas, he won't be getting another game. It's not a matter of not being ready. It's a matter of not being good enough.

I doubt that. I think Bailey sees Newton as just not good enough. He's sent him back to Casey to work on what is required of an AFL standard forward, and until he consistently shows that he's making progess in those areas, he won't be getting another game. It's not a matter of not being ready. It's a matter of not being good enough.

is there a difference between being 'ready' and 'good enough'?

I guess if i had to define them then 'ready' would be a player currently doing the things the coach wants him to do, whereas 'good enough' would imply being capable of doing the things the coach wants him to do.

I think Newtown is capable of these things, but for the sake of some mental block he does not.

That is my interpretation.

While Neil Craig's reputation with the kids on his list looks very good - there have been bad tales from players I know personally at Adelaide (or who were once part of Adelaide FC) that feel that sometimes his persona towards them borders on the line of 'bully boy' tactics.

See: John Meesen, James Sellar, Darren Pfeiffer, Ivan Maric.

However, in saying that, a case can be made to say that certain players need to be pushed in order to maximise their output - or make the most of their potential.