Delistings

Strawbsodwyer

Boy! It is still so early in the season, some of these guys, like Wheels, Wheatly and Bell have not even played this year. They are considered as senior players, I posted the players ages some weeks ago, if we get rid of every one of these guys, all we will have is 18 to 22 yo's. Lets wait another 10 more games to give all a chance before we start talking about delistings. I like you want to be the next Geelong, but we need to see how each guy fits into the new look team, and our depth has to be strong. We can not afford to have a fantastic starting 22 with out a strong 20 others to choose from, as our luck with injuries shows. I have a few players in mind that need to lift their game, but bring up their name at this poit in time means nothing.

Also dont forget that the GC side will be looking to rape a few sides, I just hope that we keep all our gun players.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know exactly who is and isn't out of contract at season's end? Obviously I know Watts, Bleae, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Bail and Jurrah are contracted for next year, but does anyone know the list of players who's contract runs out at the end of this year?

There is no way we would take the minimum three picks. That's laughable, even in a thin draft. Picks 1, 2, 18ish, and pass on pick 34? No draft is thin enough to be passing in the very early third round, and I really don't think our list is strong enough to be passing at that point. It'd be close to the earliest pass of all time.

Why elevate Valenti? Blimey, he's not that great. We'll need 5 or 6 spots I imagine. Pre-Season #1 + 1, 2, 18 odd, 34 odd, 50 odd, rookie elevation for Jordy or Spencer, I didn't even try and that's about 7-8 spots we need.

Gotta be ruthless.

Junior

Whelan

Wheatley

Jamar (who has never once played as well as PJ did last week)

Buckley

Bell & Dunn, as others have said, need to be jettisoned any way possible.

Absolute spuds like Bate and Newton are lucky to be out the firing line. . . . but yep, very interesting choices to be made at the end of the year. Obviously not every youngster on our list will be special so they must diagnose. Cheney/McNamara etc.

Guest Digga

Cheney's pace is not that great and i think the small/medium sized backs in our team should have pace. Do not think there is room in our team for him.

Why elevate Valenti? Blimey, he's not that great. We'll need 5 or 6 spots I imagine. Pre-Season #1 + 1, 2, 18 odd, 34 odd, 50 odd, rookie elevation for Jordy or Spencer, I didn't even try and that's about 7-8 spots we need.

Gotta be ruthless.

Junior

Whelan

Wheatley

Jamar (who has never once played as well as PJ did last week)

Buckley

Bell & Dunn, as others have said, need to be jettisoned any way possible.

Absolute spuds like Bate and Newton are lucky to be out the firing line. . . . but yep, very interesting choices to be made at the end of the year. Obviously not every youngster on our list will be special so they must diagnose. Cheney/McNamara etc.

Being ruthless means cutting Robertson. he's not that good. Buckley would be stiff but it's possible. I also have my doubts about Cheney. What position would he play in? We need a minimum of 6 spots, probably 7. Spencer is likely to be elevated. I'd say valenti will get game time this year but I'd say he'll go, along with Zomer. Tough calls for the club this year. The list is improving.

Being ruthless means cutting Robertson. he's not that good. Buckley would be stiff but it's possible. I also have my doubts about Cheney. What position would he play in? We need a minimum of 6 spots, probably 7. Spencer is likely to be elevated. I'd say valenti will get game time this year but I'd say he'll go, along with Zomer. Tough calls for the club this year. The list is improving.

Watts + Newton/Butcher inside 50 grants Robbo a 'lesser' opponent where he is free to have more impact.

He played against Glass on the weekend.

Watts + Newton/Butcher inside 50 grants Robbo a 'lesser' opponent where he is free to have more impact.

He played against Glass on the weekend.

A forward line including Watts, Butcher, Jurrah, Petterd, Wonaeamirri, Miller/Newton doesn't need Robbo. The side's changed too much for him to be of much value. I can't see Newton making it either but he's contracted.

A forward line including Watts, Butcher, Jurrah, Petterd, Wonaeamirri, Miller/Newton doesn't need Robbo. The side's changed too much for him to be of much value. I can't see Newton making it either but he's contracted.

Yes but don't forget Watts and Butcher wont be able to hold down key positions next year either. While Watts will most likely be able to play in a pocket in the seniors I'd expect Butcher to spend most of his first year with Casey. We'll need Robbo for at least 2010 to give Watts and Jurrah an extra year to get their bodies right to take the mantle. While I agree the hard decissions could very well come for McDonald, Whelan and Wheatley all at seasons end Robbo will be a required player for at least one more year.

However, it should be noted that 3 of these guys are 17-18 and yet to make an AFL debut....don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves yet.

Perhaps a delist-rookie scenario may be the go here.

Good thinking

They may also apply to McNamara.

And I think any one of Jamar/ PJ/Meesen is in the gun. One game does not make PJ safe at all. However the extent of Meesen's injury may give he and Jamar some breathing space.

Firstly, we dont have Butcher.

Secondly, Jurrah is speculative at best ATM so I would not count on that.

Thirdly, Watts is 2 to 3 years away form hopefully setting the football world on fire.

Lastly, Robbo is not competing against Petterd or Wona.

At the moment we really dont have a forward line.

BTW, Newtons contract should be not be a deterrent if he goes to custard once more this year. If he did, he should be paid out immediately. Hopefully he isnt on much. But on the other hand Robbo has to show he is worth another contract also.

Assuming contracted players will remain as we don't have the funds to pay them out and assuming that we will intend to draft 6 players then my list is:

1. Dunn

2. Bell

3. Junior (retire)

4. Meesen

5. Wheatley

6. Whelan

I hate putting Whelan in as I still think he has something to offer but tough decisions will need to be made for the future of the club.

Looks spot on but i would swap meesen for jamar

Robbo is the only forward we currently have who can reliably turn opportunities in to goals. There's also a very slight chance he could still be about when we're back in our window. Every other forward we have on our list is either flaky in some way or completely speculative. I'd be stunned if he was axed, assuming he wants to go on.

The below names are the players who I think will most likely be in the gun to get delisted, traded or told to hang up the boots. Personally I don't think we'll clear out any more then 6 at most. That would allow 4 picks in national draft, 1 in pre-season draft and 1 to be promoted off the rookie list.

Bate

Bell

Dunn

Jamar

McDonald

Newton

Sylvia

Wheatley

Whelan

If I had to get rid of 6 I'd be looking at;

Bell

Dunn

Jamar

Sylvia

Wheatley

Whelan

I have only recently been advised from a reliable source that Bell and Dunn are contracted for 2010. I further understand that Meesen is also contracted for 2010 :(

If that is the case then either Robbo or Junior will have to retire unless they pay out our least paid player in Newton. Meeson has done enough to keep his contract. Out: Jamar, Wheatley, Whelan and McDonald. In: Spencer and first 3 picks in the NAB Draft. No PSD Pick and no Valenti.

I tend to think McDonald will retire at the end of the year. At the age of 33 (by then), diminishing output will have caught up to increasing injury.

Whelan may not retire, but I doubt he will get another contract either. 17 games out of the last 51 is a pretty damning statistic, and with the recruitment of a lot of pocket/flanker types, I don't think we can take the risk.

Buckley is in real trouble too. While he has pace, he lacks a fair bit of polish. I think it's sometimes forgotten too that he is actually a month older than both Dunn and Bate. Has been overtaken by quite a few.

Wheatley is a bit more difficult but I think is a delisting option too. Probably career best form last year and his kicking can be a real weapon. I don't see a spot for him in defence though so it may depend on whether he can adapt to a role at half-forward.

The other one is Jamar. If they are going to uplift Spencer, one of the current ruckmen has to go and I don't see that Jamar is ever going to be able to have a genuine effect on games. May be a bit hopeful, but I think there is some evidence at least that Meesen and PJ may.

Other possibles are Bell (if not contracted) and Cheney/McNamara, but with those two it really depends on what they show this year. Far too early to make a judgment call on either.

McDonald simply must retire at year's end. He owes it to himself after such a determined, gutsy career to not play out his final year at Casey.

Whelan will have to join him in retirement. Again, I've enjoyed his career, but as good as he can be, with a squeeze on list spots, we can't keep an older, injury-prone player in a position we have covered anyway. Robbo is going to be 31, but he plays a vital role in our team and thus stays.

Wheatley should be delisted.

Buckley must go if uncontracted. He has blistering pace, but so does Usain Bolt, and he'd probably have more idea of what to do with the ball when he got it.

None of our ruckmen immediately spell delisting for me, especially since Meesen is contracted, but it wouldn't be devastating losing eithe Jamar or Johnson, though they wouldn't be my top priority for delisting.

Newton' contract (one of the most farcical acts of charity you could ever see) will likely save him, but if its a choice between dumping him or someone worth persisting with, then I'd pay him out and give him the chop.

Blokes like Bell, Dunn and McNamara's status on our list will depend on contract situations and the further number of spots we need to vacate.

Firstly, we dont have Butcher.

Secondly, Jurrah is speculative at best ATM so I would not count on that.

Thirdly, Watts is 2 to 3 years away form hopefully setting the football world on fire.

Lastly, Robbo is not competing against Petterd or Wona.

At the moment we really dont have a forward line.

BTW, Newtons contract should be not be a deterrent if he goes to custard once more this year. If he did, he should be paid out immediately. Hopefully he isnt on much. But on the other hand Robbo has to show he is worth another contract also.

Only Richmond can stop us getting Butcher.

Jurrah is speculative but still offers us more upside than Robertson

Watts will play forward for us next year

Robbo is competing for a spot in the forward line

Newton, well Newton's Newton! I can't believe he got a 2 year contract.

Robertson, although a crowd favourite for his enthusiasm isn't the model required for Melbourne going forward.

My point being that the other possible delistings, Dunn and Buckley, at least have age and upside on their side.

I have noticed that some people seem to think that the club cannot afford to pay out out player contracts.

When paying out contracts, the added expense comes from the new player, not the departing one who's salary the club would have to pay anyway.

Thus, paying out contracts is actually a pretty realistic and inexpensive option when you are bringing on a cheap rookie as a replacement.

edit: For example:

Player A is out of contract but he has been receiving 400k/year

Player B is contracted for 2 more years at 500k/year

Players C + D are not currently on the list, they will each get paid 200k/year if we make room for them.

It looks like you have to retire player A in order to make room for either player C or D on the list. That leaves no spaces in the team but you save 200k/year for the next 2 years and there is 200k extra room left in the salary cap for these years also.

If you really want to take replace player B with player D as well, then you shouldn't let his contract stop you.

Either way the club has to pay him $1M over the next 2 years. Why not pay him out, retire him, free up a spot on the list, and then use the extra $200k/year (that you saved by replacing player A with player C) to pay for player D for the next 2 years?

Blokes like Bell, Dunn and McNamara's status on our list will depend on contract situations and the further number of spots we need to vacate.

McNamara won't get cut this year. He's a good size, very young and has shown positive signs at Casey.

These type of threads are really getting up my nose. So much talk of delisting and IT"S ONLY RND 7

The talk of our late 20s experienced and proven players yet to play a game this year is plain STUPID!

After saying all that I think it's the early to mid 20s players that have been in the system for a while are yet to grab the bull by the horns need to be worried.

Upon saying that I dont think there will be many de-listings.

IMHO I think Bate, Dunn and Sylvia will want to have ripper seasons for the rest of the year. Jmac will probably retire.

I have noticed that some people seem to think that the club cannot afford to pay out out player contracts.

When paying out contracts, the added expense comes from the new player, not the departing one who's salary the club would have to pay anyway.

Thus, paying out contracts is actually a pretty realistic and inexpensive option when you are bringing on a cheap rookie as a replacement.

How does it work with the salary cap? I imagine the player you have paid out is still counted towards your salary cap, so you're essentially paying for two players when you've got one playing. That doesn't sound very realistic or inexpensive to me.

Not to mention the negative impact doing that all the time would have on the players remaining on your list.