Cale Morton

Guest Lily Allen

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still question whether the Sylvia/Bate combination will help win us a flag.

to stay on topic...Cale Morton is a gun.;)

I've been hard on Sylvia for the reasons espoused by many, but I want to keep him. In a top side he'd be an exceptionally dangerous finisher. And that's his most dynamic attribute in the AFL, to be a powerful, line breaking, 15 possession finisher. Our current side will make him stand out for his deficiencies, but as the team improves so will Sylvia's contribution. He won't be the reason for the improvement, but watch his stocks rise with the teams'.

It would be a brave and I believe foolish decision to trade Sylvia. He's worth more to us than what we'd receive in return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Morton ? I can't believe the stick he cops here and elsewhere. With Watts, he's the most important player on the list. It is an under appreciated skill to be able to pick up possessions at will in the AFL. And having watched Melbourne for a long time I'm acutely aware of this. Morton will fill into his 193 cm frame. He will gain more and more confidence over preseasons and he will become an elite AFL footballer. With confidence his decision making will improve. And as his decision making and confidence improves so too will his disposal, which isn't nearly as bad as made out. Running into goal from 60 metres I'd back him every time, so don't tell me he can't kick. Him missing targets from 25-30 metres happens due to pressure and his youth. The more he feels he belongs at AFL level and the more he trusts his body the less he'll turn the ball over.

I'm thankful to have a player of Morton's talent on the list, whilst some prefer to find flaws in his game. He can run all day, is far from slow, and at 193 cms will become a Chad Cornes type utility at either end of the ground. How do opposition clubs matchup on, or stop, a 25 year old Cale Morton ? He's a third of the way into his second year, is still a teenager, and a stick figure. How many of his draft contemporaries playing in the midfield are 193 cms ? Firstly, most don't have his dangerous upside and secondly, they should be more advanced because they're closer to their physical maturity. But I don't see the same gap in output. We have a gem on our hands even though some are yet to realise it. And despite their doubts, I firmly believe that he will be elite.

And no, he's not above scrutiny, no AFL player is, but the expectations of many are unrealistic and show little understanding.

well you'd physically let you know your there, hurt him a bit with bumps and tackles etc. Then whenever Morton gets the ball from there on in, the perceived pressure alone will make him turn it over.

At 25 I'd say cale will be quite able to handle a few bumps from less talented footballers.

I've been hard on Sylvia for the reasons espoused by many, but I want to keep him. In a top side he'd be an exceptionally dangerous finisher. And that's his most dynamic attribute in the AFL, to be a powerful, line breaking, 15 possession finisher. Our current side will make him stand out for his deficiencies, but as the team improves so will Sylvia's contribution. He won't be the reason for the improvement, but watch his stocks rise with the teams'.

It would be a brave and I believe foolish decision to trade Sylvia. He's worth more to us than what we'd receive in return.

Indeed.

Also noticed posters are not as hard on him in the delistings thread, as they were a few weeks back. But wait, that could all change......."one week at a time" is often used in so many ways in football. Colin Sylvia knockers are no exception to this cliche'. Hence his inconsistency.

And that's the problem we're faced with. He is such a high draft pick, you may as well stick with him. Look you're probably right Hannabal and I have thought along similar lines myself, but to me, he should be able to play in any team at any given time. That's what a good player is. Still your point has merit that outweighs my argument.

Indeed.

Also noticed posters are not as hard on him in the delistings thread, as they were a few weeks back. But wait, that could all change......."one week at a time" is often used in so many ways in football. Colin Sylvia knockers are no exception to this cliche'. Hence his inconsistency.

The thing about Sylvia is he'd easily be our most frustrating player. If I've ever improved my outlook towards him it has been more in hope than anything else. He's got a bit of talent somewhere, he just doesn't do the basics well. That said, Bails is slowly turned that mentality around (seemingly). Please, finally show us some consistency, Colin.

As for Morton ? I can't believe the stick he cops here and elsewhere. With Watts, he's the most important player on the list. It is an under appreciated skill to be able to pick up possessions at will in the AFL. And having watched Melbourne for a long time I'm acutely aware of this. Morton will fill into his 193 cm frame. He will gain more and more confidence over preseasons and he will become an elite AFL footballer. With confidence his decision making will improve. And as his decision making and confidence improves so too will his disposal, which isn't nearly as bad as made out. Running into goal from 60 metres I'd back him every time, so don't tell me he can't kick. Him missing targets from 25-30 metres happens due to pressure and his youth. The more he feels he belongs at AFL level and the more he trusts his body the less he'll turn the ball over.

I'm thankful to have a player of Morton's talent on the list, whilst some prefer to find flaws in his game. He can run all day, is far from slow, and at 193 cms will become a Chad Cornes type utility at either end of the ground. How do opposition clubs matchup on, or stop, a 25 year old Cale Morton ? He's a third of the way into his second year, is still a teenager, and a stick figure. How many of his draft contemporaries playing in the midfield are 193 cms ? Firstly, most don't have his dangerous upside and secondly, they should be more advanced because they're closer to their physical maturity. But I don't see the same gap in output. We have a gem on our hands even though some are yet to realise it. And despite their doubts, I firmly believe that he will be elite.

And no, he's not above scrutiny, no AFL player is, but the expectations of many are unrealistic and show little understanding.

I barely know anyone who knocks him. Anyone that does, you're right, lacks understanding. He's only a young kid, he's going to make mistakes. He's going to be a ripper.

Colin Sylvia knockers are no exception to this cliche'.

I've been a so called "Sylvia knocker", because I'm aware that he'll never be a quality, or 'A' grade midfielder (imo), but I also recognise what an important finishing role he could play in a good team.

would be interested to here your thoughts on whether you think cale will be our best player shortly, and if so how long? he is a player i rate highly, and if he keeps up current form could well take out the bluey.

The thing about Sylvia is he'd easily be our most frustrating player. If I've ever improved my outlook towards him it has been more in hope than anything else. He's got a bit of talent somewhere, he just doesn't do the basics well. That said, Bails is slowly turned that mentality around (seemingly). Please, finally show us some consistency, Colin.

How many do you want me to name before I get to Sylvia in the 'frustration stakes'. The list seems endless to me.

Your last sentence holds more relevance.

I've been a so called "Sylvia knocker", because I'm aware that he'll never be a quality, or 'A' grade midfielder (imo), but I also recognise what an important finishing role he could play in a good team.

I agree. He showed alot of determination and disappointment when he missed his set shot in the last quarter against West Coast. His disposals in the last was almost perfect, one which set up Maric on the left was exquisite. His marking (has good hands, vice-like one grab) in contested situations which the side cries out for, is very good. Unlike Bate's powder-puff hand two,three grabs then spill.

I also recognise he will never be an 'A' grade midfielder, but he has what many don't. The flexibility of playing a midfield role as well as one who can push forward and set up or finish up forward. He can also be the outlet target in defence and has the ability to contest in the air.

I had to laugh when he lined up in the last quarter. Fox put up his stats, "2 Hit Outs, 100% to advantage" :lol:

well you'd physically let you know your there, hurt him a bit with bumps and tackles etc. Then whenever Morton gets the ball from there on in, the perceived pressure alone will make him turn it over.

I tell you what, Palmer better be a effing star the way you are carrying on...

Morton is a better prospect, move on.

Back on Cale.

Could Cale Morton be as good as Adam Cooney? Because I think he could be as effective as him.

Watching his game last Sunday, I couldn't help but compare him to Cooney when Adam Cooney first started. Cooney was a stick figure in his first two seasons.

Opinions...

Guest Digga
Back on Cale.

Could Cale Morton be as good as Adam Cooney? Because I think he could be as effective as him.

Watching his game last Sunday, I couldn't help but compare him to Cooney when Adam Cooney first started. Cooney was a stick figure in his first two seasons.

Opinions...

I have tried to think of who Cale Morton resembles but its just to hard. Cale Morton is Cale Morton. Its rather odd to find a very tall (194cm) and very skinny kid (83kg) who gets so much of the ball. Either way he is going to be a fantastic player.

Just for interest I found this small piece on him written in 2007.

Name: Cale Morton

Recruited From: CLAREMONT

DOB: 18/01/1990

Position: Tall midfielder/forward

Height: 191.5cmWeight: 78.7kg

Bio: Midfielder/forward who is a long, penetrating kick and a good winner of the ball both in the air and at ground level. Had an outstanding NAB AFL U18 Championships receiving All-Australian honours and capping off his carnival by winning the Larke Medal for the best player in Division One. Highlighted his aerobic capabilities at the NAB AFL Draft Camp by recording a 15.2 beep test result (ranked No.1), along with a 10.32min for 3km, ranking him in the top four per cent of 2007 participants.

Running into goal from 60 metres I'd back him every time, so don't tell me he can't kick. Him missing targets from 25-30 metres happens due to pressure and his youth. The more he feels he belongs at AFL level and the more he trusts his body the less he'll turn the ball over.

Are you listening Freak ?

I thought of Freak when he kicked into the man on the mark.

Lovely kick on the run.

Best composure in the team.

Saw him the other day and he has the body Kate Moss wishes she had. So bloody skinny, and yet nobody can touch him. It's as if time stops when he has the ball.

I thought of Freak when he kicked into the man on the mark.

And of course that's a decision making skill. He doesn't make too many of those.

Was that not the most exciting game of football you've seen from a young Melbourne midfielder in at least the last 10 years? His composure under pressure today was just sublime. Furthermore, I thought it was a brilliant move by Bails today. Everyone knows that the most difficult and priceless thing in football these days, is hitting targets inside forward 50. So, instead of Davey (arguably our most skill player) playing across half back and buillding thrusts, he puts Morton, an equally superb user and decision maker across half back to play a similar role, which then in turn allowed Flash to play up the ground, across half forward. This meant that we had someone with absolute quality delivering passes inside our forward fifty and as you saw today, Aaron's ability to hit targets inside forward 50 is second to none.

Great coaching by Bails and fantastic games from both Aaron and Cale. They weren't alone today, by any means, I thought the majority of the team were fantastic, but I think Morton announced himself to the competition today, as the next big thing.

It wasn't just that he backed up his 34 touches from last week, with 37, but every time he touched the ball it seemed to turn to gold. He simply had stacks of effective disposals. I know I was willing them to give it to him every time. He's a pleasure to watch and I dare say the first top class midfielder we've possessed in my life time (not counting Flower, who played when I was only a few years old).

Was that not the most exciting game of football you've seen from a young Melbourne midfielder in at least the last 10 years? His composure under pressure today was just sublime. Furthermore, I thought it was a brilliant move by Bails today. Everyone knows that the most difficult and priceless thing in football these days, is hitting targets inside forward 50. So, instead of Davey (arguably our most skill player) playing across half back and buillding thrusts, he puts Morton, an equally superb user and decision maker across half back to play a similar role, which then in turn allowed Flash to play up the ground, across half forward. This meant that we had someone with absolute quality delivering passes inside our forward fifty and as you saw today, Aaron's ability to hit targets inside forward 50 is second to none.

Great coaching by Bails and fantastic games from both Aaron and Cale. They weren't alone today, by any means, I thought the majority of the team were fantastic, but I think Mortom announced himself to the competition today, as the next big thing.

70+ disposals in 2 games for someone of his age is top notch.

70+ disposals in 2 games for someone of his age is top notch.

its not just the two games that make me happy. he has the most disposals of any player at melbourne so far this season (213, bruce has 207, and moloney and davey have 202).

he is second in kicks, top 5 in handballs and number 1 for marks.

edit: 7th in the league for disposals (6th for kicks, while davey is 1st for kicks)...and it is hard to believe that the traditionally bomb-it-long-without-looking moloney is actually 4th in the comp for handballs.

The only thing about this is that neither Sylvia or Bate have shown enough to suggest they'll be good enough.

And out comes Bate with a 4 goal effort. Which, incidentally, is not the first time he's come into form after a bad patch to kick the same amount of goals. As others have said, the kid can CERTAINLY play, it's his patchiness that's his achilles heel at the moment. If Brad Miller can take 76 marks in a final, Bate can do the same and then some... I don't like him as a lead-up target any more than anyone else. But with a mature Watts and possibly Butcher, he'll have oodles of space to move into up the ground. There's simply not enough bad footy from him to consign him to the "not a premiership player" pile. Why everyone seems to think he's destined for failure is completely beyond me. He's played a heap of goo footy for the dees.

I've been hard on Sylvia for the reasons espoused by many, but I want to keep him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Morton ? I can't believe the stick he cops here and elsewhere.

Your points on Sylvia are well made. Though I read "finisher" as "frontrunner" a little bit there. Having said that I reckon the Moloney situation has provided me with a glimmer of hope with Col. Moloney doesn't quite have the tools Col has, and was cut down early on just like CS. Look at him now. He's just showing EXACTLY what being a professional AFL footballer is all about. Regular, high possession games, damaging disposal at least some of the time, leadership you never knew was there. In his youth Beamer was a peanut, and he's evolved completely. Or at least that's what it seems like from 8 rounds. Does this situation give anyone else hope? Care to comment on this specific point H?

You know what's weird, is someone on bigfooty started a thread saying "Is Cale Morton the best young player in the league." I cringed as I clicked expecting a torrent of abuse. Strangely enough he made out pretty well. Pretty much everyone says we have a ripper on our hands. And those that don't are clearly trolls, of the ilk of Y_M. Most put Selwood ahead if they were cats fans, or Rioli ahead of they were Hawks fans, Rich = Bris, Cotchin = Toigs, Kreuzer + Gibbs = Blues... But IMO Morton could eclipse all of them. Certainly most of them... all he'd need was a few years to put his height to good use. He could do SO much around the ground. How many 193cm players play through the midfield, and are as effective as he is whilst still in their teens? I can' think of anyone... except maybe Hird, who played CHF as well as he did in the midfield. Maybe Pav too.

It's disturbing to see that even at Bigfooty they like Cale. It's only a demonland that he's abused? When did THAT happen?!

Cale Morton doesnt have the body type that will be able to stack on weight. LIke Bruce, he will only probably be able to put on another 5kg to reach his peak

How would you know? His brothers are getting a bit big nowadays. You're totally guessing. However I will concede that if he suddenly finds 8 kilos, it'll completely change him as a player, and likely lead to some injuries, detrimentally effect his tank. It all depends on what direction the FD decide to point him in... the bench press or the treadmill?