Mclean on MMM now

DeeM

Ben Allan was on SEN talking about how Freo have once and for all discarded the quick fix trades approach and are adopting the Hawthorn model of drafting the best available young talent. Dermot Brereton was on later and commented that if they were indeed copying the Hawthorn model then they would not have drafted Rhys Palmer because a key plank of the Hawthorn plan was to only draft players who have elite kicking skills. It does appear with Stephen Hill that they have drafted a playerwith elite kicking skills.

Bailey's gameplan is not revolutionary. We saw it in the first half of the Collingwood game. With the advent of the rolling Midfield/Defensive zone the way to take the ball forward from defence is with precise short kicks that pierce the zone - there should always be a player in space in the zone who can be hit up by an accurate flat hard short pass. Use of pace and evasive skills to get around a player in the zone thus drawing another player which creates space in the zone to either hit a player wth an accurate short pass or handball is also important. see the use of Davey and Morton across half back. Davey is our best short kick and also has the pace to pierce the zone when possible. Morton is a good short pass - needs to work on the flat hard short pass, does tend to float them - and has good evasive skills.

Thats Bailey's game plan. And he has started to recruit based upon the simple premise that kicking skills are fundamentally important when assessing any draftee. Watts, Blease and Strauss all are supposed to have elite kicking skills. Bennell and Jetta also seem to be good kicks. We will most probably have a priority pick before round one in this year's draft and kicking skills will again be prioritised when those selections are used.

Buckley or Hird or Norm Smith would not be making any headway with the playng list we have. Our senior players are at best servicable - we have Bruce's ball getting ability and Green's kicking skills in different players. Our defence has enough promising talls but they are still inexperienced. Our midfield is mediocre - Maclean is struggling after his broken ankle and Jones has no one to off load to. But there is plenty of young talent coming through, and we'll add more to it. We don't have the luxury of a North of old to trade with to advance faster like the Hawks did but we are stockpiling an impressive pool of young talent - watch that footage of Blease laying a tackle then working the other way and drilling a goal from fifty at pace.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
I don't see it as every year we don't win a flag it is a crap year. "Excuses are over", thats great you say that, so what are we to do then. Do you have all the answers?? Seriously, can't you see that you can't fix things over night! Don't bring up the argument we have been trying for 45 years, because Bailey and crew have been here for just over 1. You can rant and rave all you like but so far you haven't said anything constructive other than get rid of Brock because apparently he is no good.

And trading Brock in the last 2 years is plain stupid. How do we predict that he gets his foot caught under a pack and his ankle snaps! Bloody hell.

We are 0-3 and we havent improved because we are still losing. Such a simple simple outlook! Our skills arn't there yet but have DEFINATLY improved. Our backline is looking a lot better. Our midfield is winning more clearances. Martin, Morton, Jones, Cheyney just to start with have all improved on last year.

It is so easy just to sit there and bag Brock and bag Bailey and anything or anyone else you like. Cos at the end of the day if you are proved wrong who cares, we just won a premiership. So saying everyone is welcome to say I told you so when you are wrong is no biggie mate

whelan you got no idea,thats post is ordinary, bailey and co have been there for 1season, i caan rant an rave but i been a member since94 , no offence champ but i keep getting reported for abuse, but your a simple simple outlook, if sir jim tynes had your simple simple simple simple out look, WE would win the next 20 simple wooden spoon.

Ben Allan was on SEN talking about how Freo have once and for all discarded the quick fix trades approach and are adopting the Hawthorn model of drafting the best available young talent. Dermot Brereten was on later and commented that if they were indeed copying the Hawthorn model then they would not have drafted Rhys Palmer because a key plank of the Hawthorn plan was to only draft players who have elite kicking skills. It does appear with Stephen Hill that they have drafted a player with elite kicking skills.

Bailey's gameplan is not revolutionary. We saw it in the first half of the Collingwood game. With the advent of the rolling MidfieldDefensive zone the way to take the ball forward from defence is with precise short kicks that pierce the zone - there should always be a player in space in the zone who can be hit up by an accurate flat hard short pass. Use of pace and evasive skills to get around a player in the zone thus drawing another player which creates space in the zone to either hit a player wth an accurate short pass or handball is also important. see the use of Davey and Morton across half back. Davey is our best short kick and also has the pace to peirce the zone when possible. Mortom is a good short pass - needs to work on the flat hard short pass, does tned to float them - and has good evasive skills.

Thats Bailey's game plan. And he has started to recruit based upon the simple premise that kicking skills are fundamentally important when assessing any draftee. Watts, Blease and Strauss all are supposed to have elite kicking skills. Bennell and Jetta also seem to be good kicks. We will most probably have a priority pick before round one in this year's draft and kicking skills will again be prioritised when those selections are used.

Buckley or Hird or Norm Smith would not be making any headway with the playng list we have. Our senior players are at best servicable - we have Bruce's ball getting ability and Green's kicking skills in different players. Our defence has enough promising talls but they are still inexperienced. Our midfield is mediocre - Maclean is struggling after his broken ankle and Jones has no one to off load to. But there is plenty of young talent coming through, and we'll add more to it. We dont have the luxury of a North of old to trade with to advance faster like the Hawks did but we are stockpiling an impressive pool of young talent - watched that footage of Blease laying a tackle then working the other way and drilling a gola from fifty as pace.

Finally! agree with every word!

Ben Allan was on SEN talking about how Freo have once and for all discarded the quick fix trades approach and are adopting the Hawthorn model of drafting the best available young talent. Dermot Brereten was on later and commented that if they were indeed copying the Hawthorn model then they would not have drafted Rhys Palmer because a key plank of the Hawthorn plan was to only draft players who have elite kicking skills. It does appear with Stephen Hill that they have drafted a player with elite kicking skills.

Bailey's gameplan is not revolutionary. We saw it in the first half of the Collingwood game. With the advent of the rolling MidfieldDefensive zone the way to take the ball forward from defence is with precise short kicks that pierce the zone - there should always be a player in space in the zone who can be hit up by an accurate flat hard short pass. Use of pace and evasive skills to get around a player in the zone thus drawing another player which creates space in the zone to either hit a player wth an accurate short pass or handball is also important. see the use of Davey and Morton across half back. Davey is our best short kick and also has the pace to peirce the zone when possible. Mortom is a good short pass - needs to work on the flat hard short pass, does tned to float them - and has good evasive skills.

Buckley or Hird or Norm Smith would not be making any headway with the playng list we have. Our senior players are at best servicable - we have Bruce's ball getting ability and Green's kicking skills in different players. Our defence has enough promising talls but they are still inexperienced. Our midfield is mediocre - Maclean is struggling after his broken ankle and Jones has no one to off load to. But there is plenty of young talent coming through, and we'll add more to it. We dont have the luxury of a North of old to trade with to advance faster like the Hawks did but we are stockpiling an impressive pool of young talent - watched that footage of Blease laying a tackle then working the other way and drilling a gola from fifty as pace.

Bravo.

whelan you got no idea,thats post is ordinary, bailey and co have been there for 1season, i caan rant an rave but i been a member since94 , no offence champ but i keep getting reported for abuse, but your a simple simple outlook, if sir jim tynes had your simple simple simple simple out look, WE would win the next 20 simple wooden spoon.

Haha

I'm not concerned about abuse buddy don't worry. Also I have been a member since 10 years.

Again tho, giving me nothing. You want everything solved and it all to be better within the space of 1 year. How are we suppose to be winning games with the team of young blokes we are putting on the park who have hardly any AFL experience??

I'm looking for improvement in individuals and also sections of the ground. You're looking for improvement on the scoreboard. Which is more simple??

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Haha

I'm not concerned about abuse buddy don't worry. Also I have been a member since 10 years.

Again tho, giving me nothing. You want everything solved and it all to be better within the space of 1 year. How are we suppose to be winning games with the team of young blokes we are putting on the park who have hardly any AFL experience??

I'm looking for improvement in individuals and also sections of the ground. You're looking for improvement on the scoreboard. Which is more simple??

its not about 1 year mate, its a long period of time, i cant see things changing, i hope they do, its pretty simple dude nothings changed in 4 decades, i want to win like eveyone else, but at this stage, at least another 5 yrs.

its not about 1 year mate, its a long period of time, i cant see things changing, i hope they do, its pretty simple dude nothings changed in 4 decades, i want to win like eveyone else, but at this stage, at least another 5 yrs.

Bailey and crew can't do much about the last decade, which is why I'm giving them a chance.

I don't know mate, i reckon if you look at our current list there is a bit of hope. It's frustrating, but yeah it will probably take 5 years. But I reckon they are going about it the right way. Unfortunatly in the short term I think yet again we'll be getting a bit of heartache. What I look forward to though is Watts, Blease, Strauss, Bennell, Grimes, Morton, Maric, Garland, Martin, Cheney, Frawley and the like with 50 to 100 games under their belt and hopefully Mclean, Davey, Rivers, Bate, and Jones playing their best footy.

Ben Allan was on SEN talking about how Freo have once and for all discarded the quick fix trades approach and are adopting the Hawthorn model of drafting the best available young talent. Dermot Brereton was on later and commented that if they were indeed copying the Hawthorn model then they would not have drafted Rhys Palmer because a key plank of the Hawthorn plan was to only draft players who have elite kicking skills. It does appear with Stephen Hill that they have drafted a playerwith elite kicking skills.

Bailey's gameplan is not revolutionary. We saw it in the first half of the Collingwood game. With the advent of the rolling Midfield/Defensive zone the way to take the ball forward from defence is with precise short kicks that pierce the zone - there should always be a player in space in the zone who can be hit up by an accurate flat hard short pass. Use of pace and evasive skills to get around a player in the zone thus drawing another player which creates space in the zone to either hit a player wth an accurate short pass or handball is also important. see the use of Davey and Morton across half back. Davey is our best short kick and also has the pace to pierce the zone when possible. Morton is a good short pass - needs to work on the flat hard short pass, does tend to float them - and has good evasive skills.

Buckley or Hird or Norm Smith would not be making any headway with the playng list we have. Our senior players are at best servicable - we have Bruce's ball getting ability and Green's kicking skills in different players. Our defence has enough promising talls but they are still inexperienced. Our midfield is mediocre - Maclean is struggling after his broken ankle and Jones has no one to off load to. But there is plenty of young talent coming through, and we'll add more to it. We don't have the luxury of a North of old to trade with to advance faster like the Hawks did but we are stockpiling an impressive pool of young talent - watch that footage of Blease laying a tackle then working the other way and drilling a goal from fifty at pace.

If this is his game plan then i will apply for coach in one year when he is fired.

that plan is used in under 16's. FFS people. some of you may not know this due to your age, But footy coaching is more technical then it was 20 years ago. coaches need to coach, I dont see Bailey doing much coaching. Oh and im 25 if you wanted to know.

I just have a small feeling that we hired Bailey due to his low contract fee, not his skills in the coaching world. I hope he proves me wrong but i doubt he will.

"Mate, champ, dude?" Stupid names to call other posters who just maybe have a better idea than you.

I love your repetition of 'simple'. LOL.

2. Brock being injured for most of last year, this year, whatever year is all the more reason to trade him for something good ( his price will be at its peak)

Brock has been injured this year (?), 2nd half of last year and most of 2007. He is a slow injury plagued one paced midfielder that does not make an impression on a game in poorly performed bottom side.

How much currency would he have? And given MFC is starving of capable midfield types with leadership potential, are we better off trading him for a 2nd round draft pick at best (he aint worth a first round)? I think not.

If this is his game plan then i will apply for coach in one year when he is fired.

that plan is used in under 16's. FFS people. some of you may not know this due to your age, But footy coaching is more technical then it was 20 years ago. coaches need to coach, I dont see Bailey doing much coaching. Oh and im 25 if you wanted to know.

I didn't but remember to dry behind your ears.

I just have a small feeling that we hired Bailey due to his low contract fee, not his skills in the coaching world. I hope he proves me wrong but i doubt he will.

Bailey does not need to do what you have already achieved.

See if you can work on the facts and substance and surprise both of us. ;)

agreed mate, i have no idea, its major concern, i remember last season gardner said baileys presentation was one of the best he ever come across, now that has to be a playing on stynes mind a bit,guys like buckley putting his hand up, and hird, the boards got a few decisions to make, i now bailey hasnt been there long, but there performances are getting worst.

Que?

the clubs been in a rough patch for 45 yrs, people are sick of it, were craving for good times, we want to win, we want flags, an bad as it sounds< players like mclean are not going to provide that, he cant hit a target from 25 MTRS.

People are sick of it? Or is it just you? The club's been in a rough patch because of silly little boys who get their teeth into the inner workings of the footy department and tear apart any good work that's being done for a quick fix, and a handful of meaningless wins. Mate, the vast majority of demons supporters, at least the ones who know the smallest bit about footy, want to recruit heavily for the next year or two. NOT win a handful of games in '09.

Try this on for size. Answer a simple question, if you can. How did Hawthorn win the flag in '08? If you can manage to answer correctly, you'll see why, in VERY "simple" terms, your post is nonsense.

And as for McLean. He's playing hurt. I would say if he's never going to get better, then yes attempt to unload him, or delist if he's done so much damage to his ankle that he won't come good. Otherwise what we're talking about is a call that's been made by the EXPERTS in the demons' medical staff that the problem will sort itself out over time. Again, simple.

MR Richards

its my OPINION when i post.

Are you trying to say that you would be happy for melbourne to keep Mclean if he was this way forever, or are you willing to let his injury heal then see what happens? The whole trading him came up when we were talking about his comments he made when talking about GC17, and his currency would definitely net us a nice pick, because they will have them all. Please read all the posts.

As for drying my ears. Thats pretty funny i will pay that, But coaching has changed do you agree?

You will notice that i dont rate DB in my posts, but like i said its my opinion. So just relax champ