miller can go

Al`s DEMONS

Am i the only one who thinks Dunn should be played up forward?

he is a whole 2cm taller than newton and he was drafted as a forward!

He has built up his strength, runs well?

I just think its worth a go!?

Miller Bate Davey

Wona Dunn Maric

Or

Miller Bate Green

Wona Dunn Davey

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

Settle down guys its only round 1. Patience in a virtue.

IMHO ... Dont lay all the blame on Brad Miller.

Yesterdays game drove home to me we need a few tweaks in our forward line then settle them down.

I would prefer to see this structure

Green Miller Wonaeamirri

Petterd Bate Sylvia

Rotate in - Maric, Watts, Jurrah & Robertson ... when fit and available over TIME

Also would like to see Morton & Buckley used closer to goals ie Wing-Half forwards.

IMHO there not half-backs

Now the strategy would be ....

A/ Low and hard towards the 50 metres arc or

B/ High and long towards the goal square ... not the pockets when Miller is FF

So developing this strategy further with our "mids"

when

A. MacLean, Jones, MacDonald or any half-back flanker gets the ball ... they seek targets around the 50 arc.

or when

B. Moloney, Morton, Buckley ... kick long to a spot & not necessarily a target ... straight down the corridor 15-30 metres out.

Now

A/ Green, Petterd & Sylvia ... rotate to find the right match-ups

B/ Miller plays a deep, more out of the square roll and tries to at least bring the ball to ground in a more central position

Now Brad Millers primary job is to bring the ball to ground in a danger area. Reduce the expectations on Miller and let him

play to his strengths. He is not a offensive forward ... lets be smart about it and use him as a defensive lock in forward.

Once the ball is on the ground its up to him to use his defensive second efforts to hold the ball in.

IMHO ... We need to become a team that tries to win games by only kicking 10-15 goals and holding our opposition to less.

May not be the "prettiest" style in the league but who cares ... we need to be patient and let our kids mature.

Harsh call IMO. Miller offers a tough physical contest and runs hard.

One other thing to consider: With so many young players in the team , Miller will protect them when the opposition are trying to rough them up and intimidate them.

For various reasons we only had 40 inside 50's and we want to get rid of our FF and CHF. Both competed, and failed on many occasions.

But the service was seldom to the advantage, and just plain seldom...

ive had time to calm down, obviusly miller will hold his spot , as a chf hopefully, come end of year we must target another quality tall forward to tag with Watts ala buddy and rough. what i would like to see this week is Green Bate Jetta

Maric Miller Flash , when Auusie is fit he will replace Jetta. Miller to make long leads and free up the forward 50 , Bate hovering 25 from the sticks , Green stays at home with the other three running a muck at ground level. Maric had the highest accuracy level for shots at goal recorded by champion data, lets utilze his ability.

I have calmed down. If I had replied to this thread yesterday, I would have ripped into you. Miller is the only forward that we have who can take a mark. He has his deficiencies, but he his a better than average league footballer. He runs hard, leads well and provides a strong physical presence; kicking is an issue;

I saw the Casey game on Saturday and I'll check out the one this Sunday; Casey is easy for me to get to. There is nothing there that will replace Miller, nothing. Jurrah will be good, but he is as thin as a rake. Maric will be good, but I am as tall as him and that is not saying much. Newton is going backwards at 100MPH. Zomer was being tried down back and in the ruck and got a pass mark at best.

Miller to make long leads and free up the forward 50

That comment so far is the smartest thing to come of this thread. Miller has always played his best footballer when he leads up the field from the Natural CHF position. He provides a target and he is able to use his mobility, he leads to the wings and also can lead straight up the ground. As our disposal from HB improves, Miller and Bate can play the central lead up roles, regardless of what you think of Newton, he needs to be given an opportunity to make the F50 his own, he has played some good footy in the VFL Seniors and Reserves when he has space to work in.

With Bate and Miller leading up, Newton being the goto man inside 50, with Petterd, Davey, Jetta and Aussie roaming around for the crumb. If you play Newton from the Square, then there is possibly the opportunity to use Sylvia as an alternate target. It isn't ideal but we've got to make the best of what we've got until better options come along.... but it can work if they all stick to the role designated and play disciplined football.

That comment so far is the smartest thing to come of this thread. Miller has always played his best footballer when he leads up the field from the Natural CHF position. He provides a target and he is able to use his mobility, he leads to the wings and also can lead straight up the ground. As our disposal from HB improves, Miller and Bate can play the central lead up roles, regardless of what you think of Newton, he needs to be given an opportunity to make the F50 his own, he has played some good footy in the VFL Seniors and Reserves when he has space to work in.

With Bate and Miller leading up, Newton being the goto man inside 50, with Petterd, Davey, Jetta and Aussie roaming around for the crumb. If you play Newton from the Square, then there is possibly the opportunity to use Sylvia as an alternate target. It isn't ideal but we've got to make the best of what we've got until better options come along.... but it can work if they all stick to the role designated and play disciplined football.

Your post is the most decisive, informal and in your words, smartest thing to come from this thread Sleeve. Good post, your finger is certainly on the pulse. Unfortuantely we will not see Aussie roaming for the crumb in the next few weeks. That is why I think Jetta will go around again this week, unless the staff opt for Maric. Agree with your post. Re: Bate, Miller, Newton, Sylvia. The lead up roles, etc. We have to play to our players strengths and set up accordingly.

Am i the only one who thinks Dunn should be played up forward?

he is a whole 2cm taller than newton and he was drafted as a forward!

He has built up his strength, runs well?

I just think its worth a go!?

Miller Bate Davey

Wona Dunn Maric

Or

Miller Bate Green

Wona Dunn Davey

I agree..I remember how exciting Dunn looked as a forward when he started out..i don't think DB has ever let him settle :angry:

Miller will never beat two or three opponents as was consistently occurring yesterday.... however, he will provide you with a strong and physical contest. this is where the forward line crumbers need to be..

what miller must do however is take advantage of his opportunities!! couple of shots yesterday he should have nailed but didn't...

Miller can contest and bring ball to ground, and take good strong marks.

Who else in our forward line can do that right now?

Name one player you'd have replacing Miller, before saying "he can go".

If he had two other strong forwards around him, he'd be an excellent 3rd tall. He doesn't, but at least I know that he'll make a contest every time, giving the occasional crumber (when they make it back in time :rolleyes: ) a chance.

Your right 'Jaded', but the problem is that they both should be = 3rd talls.

We hopefully have a 1st tall, as a CHF - Watts, & yet to recruit our = 1/2nd tall, Butcher???, then I think Bate will make a very handy 3rd tall option, rotating into Midfield & deep.

My thoughts exactly Sleeve with the exception that Newton may not be the only option. The reports from Casey have said that Martin was used up forward. Perhaps he is the better option at the moment.

I think Bate and Miller are best playing the role Sleeve has described and we need only one key forward (Newton, Sylvia or my prefered option, Martin) leading from the square with the smalls (Pettard is a must here) running towards the contest from half forward.

Newtons not an AFL footballers bootlace atm. We are generous to players who just arent up to scratch. From all reports he did little to change that impression on Saturday. Three years ago he was showing signs he was going to carve up the VFL with some pretty good cameos. He struggles now there. Why oh why would we waste time on a limited one trick pony with an attitude as hard as warm custard.

I know we are desperate up forward but......

Another jerk reaction of a different type.

You must have gone through some torrid therapy last year to psychologically dissolve all memory of the Freo game last year.

ATM. Hopefully there must be better options in the future.

thanks for highlighting my point. you could only mention 1 decent game in his whole career. why are people so surprised when Millers name comes under scrutiny? He is cr@p. It's all well and good to provide a target but if you cant dispose of it properly or make a semi-decent decision than its better to provide no target at all and just kick it long...atleast you turn it over in our forward 50 instead of miller turning it over on the wing.

thanks for highlighting my point. you could only mention 1 decent game in his whole career. why are people so surprised when Millers name comes under scrutiny? He is cr@p. It's all well and good to provide a target but if you cant dispose of it properly or make a semi-decent decision than its better to provide no target at all and just kick it long...atleast you turn it over in our forward 50 instead of miller turning it over on the wing.

To be fair to the guy, he was a late draft pick recruited as a half back flanker. Now we are all going feral because he is not a star key forward.

No, i'm not going feral because is the worst player to pull on a demons jumper (other than jamie shanahan). i'm feral because some posters are so biased and blind that they think Miller is a fractionally below average player when he is just so much worse than that.

95% people on here just have no idea what it takes to be a good player. Miller looks great sure, big frame etc..but his game is equally as unimpressive.

Also, most people were on here saying how bad Leigh Harding was and that they cant believe the 'Harding hack' is still playing. Yet i was the one who stated that Harding had the potential to tear us apart. Looks like i was right again...where did all those amateurs go? The sooner the m.f.c make me their recruiting manager the earlier we will win a flag

No, i'm not going feral because is the worst player to pull on a demons jumper (other than jamie shanahan). i'm feral because some posters are so biased and blind that they think Miller is a fractionally below average player when he is just so much worse than that.

95% people on here just have no idea what it takes to be a good player. Miller looks great sure, big frame etc..but his game is equally as unimpressive.

Also, most people were on here saying how bad Leigh Harding was and that they cant believe the 'Harding hack' is still playing. Yet i was the one who stated that Harding had the potential to tear us apart. Looks like i was right again...where did all those amateurs go? The sooner the m.f.c make me their recruiting manager the earlier we will win a flag

Aside from big noting yourself Freak, the only person who is blind and biased on this site your self confessed feral self.

There have been many worse players to pull on an MFC jumper. You get high on your own hyperbole without much substance.

And this coming from a person who has stated that forward line defensive pressure is overrated. Good grief.

As a preface, although new to Demonland, I do like to imagine that I have some 'cred' in having actually been at the '64 GF as a 10 year old and barracking for the Demons before then and ever since.

I've been in the first to say for years that Brad Miller isn't really an AFL level player.

BUT.

Obviously we haven't got anyone else that presents themselves as a better option. Now I say,

"Well done to you Brad Miller, you are doing as best as you can do and we should all appreciate that and admire you for it".

Meanwhile, as quite a few have said, we now need to have renewed patience. It's ridiculous to continue to complain about our KPP stocks when that deficiency has now most obviously and publicly addressed by the club most clearly with our no:1 draft selection. As suggested previously, we need more than one KPP (forward) and I'm quite confident that the football department is well aware of this.

Do we need the (assured) 'priority pick' as well? I think so.

There are only so many gun 17-18 year olds around and, ominously, this season GC17 have first dibs on twelve of the best 17 year olds in the country.

Carlton has shown what is required if you are serious about rebuilding towards a flag. Swallow the cr#p, bite the bullet, (and all those other cliches), and let the club rebuild and work on the list without the endless, moronic, constant carping of all you losers. I've been lurking around this site for a couple of years now and I know who you are and you know who you are:

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE , GIVE IT A BREAK !!

Why oh why would we waste time on a limited one trick pony with an attitude as hard as warm custard.

I know we are desperate up forward but......

His 1 trick in the VFL was a lead up mark and goal forward. When he had space to move in he was a very difficult proposition, I'd like to know what has happened in between the time h carved it up and now. I spoke with Robbo over the christmas break and he had the opinion that Newton had made inroads into his attitude problems but did admit he was a very laconic lad at the best of times.

If he got back to the bread and butter stuff of leading into space, i'm sure we'd see an improved player, I certainly don't think he'll be a 50 - 60 goal option but if we can get 30 to 40 and get the ball coming to ground then that is a massive win.

Like you I have my reservations but at present we don't have any other options and I definately don't think Stef Martin is the man to do it.