Newton - didn't impose himself

Bruce - good ,not great

Martin - continues to impress

Davey - worrying late injury

Warnock - safe and confident

Jetta - clever and dangerous

Spencer - conditions didn't suit

Bennell - clever but limited

pretty spot on, macca plyed well,did anyone see the handpass meeson flicked off in the 1st qtr, i was rite on the fence,i think it was our first goal,if he could pull that off more often he would play seniors every week.

Bennell was terrific. He needs to develop his body, but the class is obvious.

Jones was Melbourne's best, but 2 errant handballs caused opposition goals. He was far better at taking the first option today and his disposal on the was whole excellent.

Green's disposal and decision making at times was woeful.

Newton had a terrific first quarter and was pathetic thereafter. He surprisingly put his body on the line in one marking contest.

I'm a Jetta fan, but things didn't work out for him after an excellent first quarter.

All in all the backline was very good, the midfield lacks class but kept having a crack, and it wasn't a day for forwards.

Newton, Bartram, Bell, Dunn, Meesen, are very limited footballers and will be replaced by Watts, Grimes, Strauss, Bail, PJ and others in the not too distant future.

pretty fair, except i though that bell and morton got a bit of it.

typical from each in someways, in that bell still struggled with awareness issues, but looked good in other situations.

bate will never play well in those conditions because he is poor below his knees.

moloney went in hard a few times too.

Buckley - excellent early on

Jones - too many turnovers

Bartram - held Aker well

McLean - poor in conditions

Bate - had little influence

Miller - undisciplined and quiet

Frawley - continued to impress

Morton - conditions didn't suit

Dunn - good linking game

Petterd - good until injured

Green - classy and safe

Garland - just so safe

Bell - was rarely noticed

Moloney - many wasted possessions

McDonald - was rarely noticed

Cheney - calm and confident

Meesen - not totally useless

Rivers - reliable and assured

Newton - didn't impose himself

Bruce - good ,not great

Davey - worrying late injury

Jetta - clever and dangerous

Spencer - conditions didn't suit

i think thats a bit harsh

My amendments to joeboys appraisal

Jones - had an influence

McLean - clever around packs

Morton - continues to impress

Dunn - not in 22

Bell - was noticed early

Moloney - better in 2009

McDonald - is always noticed

Spencer - our best option

Bennell - will replace Whelan

I must add that I was terribly disappointed in McLean. He looked very slow and underdone. But even when he's caught he just doesn't have the crisp damaging disposal of the competition's best.

I must add that I was terribly disappointed in McLean. He looked very slow and underdone. But even when he's caught he just doesn't have the crisp damaging disposal of the competition's best.

McLean needs time. His injury was pretty horrific and he started the pre season very late in terms of running and conditioning.

Given that his game is predicated on hard running and toughness, it is difficult for him to impose himself as we know he can in his current condition. He didn't quite make enough contests today but he will improve as he gets his legs back. I am hoping his disposal improves as he gets back into the flow. As Jones showed today, these aspects can improve.

My Old man went down to check out the game, and stated Bennell looks like a good sort.

Also stated Rivers is gaining some good touch, and will be a cornerstone for us if he stays fit in 2009.

Buckley - excellent early on

Frawley - continued to impress

Petterd - good until injured

Green - classy and safe

Garland - just so safe

Rivers - reliable and assured

Bruce - good ,not great

more than anything, this bodes really well. i really like this flexible backline we have going. can play on talls and smalls. modelled nicely on the geelong style (eg. egans, mackies, milburns, harleys)

whislt bruce and green wont always be there, they will rotate down through there on occasion so they may be important.

add whelan and wheatley and things might be ok down back. just need protection from the midfield and targets up forward.

I was not at the game but all the reports coming in it sounds like the same old Melbourne with our disposal and decision making, which makes me very concerned being less than 2 weeks out from round 1. I know the conditions were not great on the Saturday but if our disposal does not improve we will continue to cop floggings off the top teams

Guest petjud

"Conditions were not great"..in the 4th qtr... where we were 'sitting' in the open.... the rain was coming sideways from behind our backs blowing directly towards Melbourne's goal, we were lucky to get the ball out of the fifty........after a heavy game in Cairns, the legs died in that last quarter...and even though there were a few on the bench we were still a few short of the Bulldogs........I was impressed with the team for most of the day....apart from......I think Newton and Miller just don't work together up front and as someone has already stated Bate with his turning circle in the wet had a very quiet day...

.it was a practice game and both McLean and Moloney have got their feet again....

I think a lot of the 'practice' in these games has been nullifying the opponent at the stoppages, once we have got that down pat...we are getting better at that ..I think the rest will fall into place..

.agree with most of the comments and they got a bit more fairer and appropriate as the amendments came in...a bit like Labor's legislation after the Independents have finished with it