No new draftees against Hawks.

LeBron James

No and I've made that clear. Read more.

That said, this club needs exciting players more than ever to drag people through the gate. In reality, we presently have not one exciting elite talent. Our best footballer is Brock McLean, who I love, but in the words of Jack Dyer 'is a good ordinary footballer'.

For the love of god please don't make me read any more of your shite

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No and I've made that clear. Read more.

That said, this club needs exciting players more than ever to drag people through the gate. In reality, we presently have not one exciting elite talent. Our best footballer is Brock McLean, who I love, but in the words of Jack Dyer 'is a good ordinary footballer'.

Brock is Much Better Than Ordinary. Cast your mind back to the 2006 Semi Final v St.Kilda. The Boy can play.

Brock is Much Better Than Ordinary. Cast your mind back to the 2006 Semi Final v St.Kilda. The Boy can play.

I don't need to cast my mind back, I was there. Great last half after an indifferent first. As I said, I love the bloke.

Good ordinary, though.

sorry mate but mclean is elite

I've decided that I've been too negative of late and resolve to not make one more negative comment for the rest of the year. After this one :) Mind you, I often feel I'm a realist as opposed to a pessimist, but I accept that forceful written words on forums can have an inference, or delivery, that seems harsher than intended. And despite what would be popularly believed I don't want to alienate myself from my fellow beloved posters :) (maybe I'm just in a good mood)

OK, I judge footballers harshly and that won't change. I could go on about accepting nothing less than flags blah blah blah, but that will bore everyone, but I will say:

=If you judge Judd, Voss, Matthews, and Hird as 'A+' footballers (top shelf) and Crawford, West, Cousins, and Black as 'A' grade players (just a rung below) then how do you categorise McLean ? He's not yet even an 'A-' imo, which puts him somewhere aound the B's. If you're in the B's, or below, then you haven't reached elite status and you fall into my "good, ordinary" category.=

Btw, plenty of players don't reach 'good, ordinary' in my book. You have to be pretty good to reach that status.

The challenge for McLean, and he's now old enough and hopefully through his injury concerns, is to elevate himself as a footballer beyond the category I've given him. I think he can. My only concern is his pace, but I think he can overcome this handicap and reach the status of West and others. That's the challenge before him.

Jarka, I'm probably a tad harsh calling the bulk of today's players "boring battlers", but there's no escaping the quality of our list and where we sit in the football fraternity. You changed your name from Demonheart for a reason. I do like plenty of our young kids and see a lot of upside, whilst admittedly I've put a line through many that will be lining up today.

Call me Mr Positive from here.

=If you judge Judd, Voss, Matthews, and Hird as 'A+' footballers (top shelf) and Crawford, West, Cousins, and Black as 'A' grade players (just a rung below) then how do you categorise McLean ? He's not yet even an 'A-' imo, which puts him somewhere aound the B's. If you're in the B's, or below, then you haven't reached elite status and you fall into my "good, ordinary" category.=

That's a good call Mr Positive. I don't think anyone would disagree with your gradings of the players above and McLean certainly hasn't reached that level. However, a level between 'good ordinary' and 'A' grade is probably missing and that's where most people see McLean. A player who despite issues with pace is knocking on the door of 'elite' if (and it's always a big if) he can string a couple of seasons together without breaking down with injury.

What's with the gradings anyway H? It makes you sound like a teacher again.

I've decided that I've been too negative of late and resolve to not make one more negative comment for the rest of the year.

Thats good to hear H, I used to be a bit hard on MFC when things were not going well but I have found I enjoy the game in general a whole lot more for where we are at not where we should be at.

Therefore tonights game and the rest of the year is a opportunity to watch players who have been fringe or under performing given an opportunity to start stepping up. If not we have the exciting youngsters eager to take their place. Its been a while!

Got the dees for $3.60 under 39.5 points last night. Pretty good odds I think with the hawks being under done!

That's pretty much how I grade Mclean too. I love him, and think he's our best midfielder at the moment... But I reckon at BEST he'll fal into your A category. If we assume for a minute that he has a largely injury-free next five years I think he will scale those heights of being a damaging player, who is beloved by his fans and respected by opposition, a la Crawford, West, Black etc etc... He has strengths that elevate him beyond the B graders, but limits that keep him from the Voss/Hird group. But then that's just crystal-ball gazing. As it stands right now, he has a way to go before he reaches the heights he could. Given his work ethic it's going to take a pretty serious train wreck to derail him.

However, a level between 'good ordinary' and 'A' grade is probably missing and that's where most people see McLean.

They may see him that way, but it's only based on potential and expectation, not output. And 'good, ordinary' is a good ranking in my eyes, which probably is misunderstood.

And I've always enjoyed ranking players. It's not a teacher thing.

They may see him that way, but it's only based on potential and expectation, not output. And 'good, ordinary' is a good ranking in my eyes, which probably is misunderstood.

And I've always enjoyed ranking players. It's not a teacher thing.

Consistant output yes I would agree, but I think enough of us have seen him string a few or many games together that are the equal of any A player but then gets injured. I am convinced if he plays 20 games this year we will be talking him up at the end of the year (B+F chance).

And 'good, ordinary' is a good ranking in my eyes, which probably is misunderstood.

It probably is, yes.

It seems odd that the next step from an 'A' player (for which you include consistent performers who have won Brownlows) is 'good ordinary'.

Anyway, I agree that McLean isn't elite (and he's probably also my favourite current player too) and I think he'd agree with us.

I am convinced if he plays 20 games this year we will be talking him up at the end of the year (B+F chance).

That doesn't make him elite.

Look at the players who have won our Best and Fairest over the past decade and ask how many would fit into Hannabal's 'A+' or 'A' tier.

Fwiw I thought McLean was a good chance for it last year, barring injury.

It seems odd that the next step from an 'A' player (for which you include consistent performers who have won Brownlows) is 'good ordinary'.

It's a tough ranking, but if you ever heard Captain Blood explain it you'd understand. Though the old fella was prone to a bit of tongue in cheek.

In my eyes, if you aint elite you're really no better than 'good, ordinary'. To what degree is the only question.

It seems that Rohan Bail is playing today, and I'm glad to hear that. From what I've seen of him I reckon he's a chance to develop into a "good ordinary player" - seems to do a lot of things well, at least at QAFL level. I like the look of him.

Raises the interest level a little for today's game anyway.

Jarka, I'm probably a tad harsh calling the bulk of today's players "boring battlers", but there's no escaping the quality of our list and where we sit in the football fraternity. You changed your name from Demonheart for a reason. I do like plenty of our young kids and see a lot of upside, whilst admittedly I've put a line through many that will be lining up today.

lol, I know where you're coming from.

Really supporting the club over the last decade has been soul destroying because around the 2000 season we had a decent team that just needed a few tweaks and adjustments. Since then we've all watched the cub being mis-managed on every single level, both on the ground and off it. I would have taken the username Jaded however I don't think the real Jaded would have appreciated it, nothing worse than an upset chick, trust me I've been there...

The way I know view the club (and it's the only way that keeps me from dropping the sport altogether because of the shitte we've witnessed over the last decade) is that it's starting afresh. The old 'draw a line in the sand' crap. We can't get any worse and we'll have a group of talnted kids coming through. I'm not expecting them to finish anywhere but last this year so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the game. I'll give Bailey, Stynes & co a chance with the knowledge that if we screw up this time we probably won't survive it. It sucks but it's reality.

My last post was harsh but I know you're robust enough to accept it in the spirit it was meant and not take it personally.

Having ventured out to Casey Fields a week ago I was certain that Neville Jetta would be picked for yesterday's match. He was superb as a small marking/crumbing forward. He had that flair and defensive pressure so crucial to the better forward lines. Driving home I was satisfied that we'd really found a player. At 19 and having had a taste of seniors in the WAFL last year he appeared ready made.

He would have made a difference yesterday.

Having ventured out to Casey Fields a week ago I was certain that Neville Jetta would be picked for yesterday's match. He was superb as a small marking/crumbing forward. He had that flair and defensive pressure so crucial to the better forward lines. Driving home I was satisfied that we'd really found a player. At 19 and having had a taste of seniors in the WAFL last year he appeared ready made.

He would have made a difference yesterday.

Agreed. Especially hurt with Wona going down early.