MFC back as sporting section of MCC.

Dees of 26

I was at the AGM last night and Cameron Scwab said that the MFC will be brought back in as sporting section of the MCC.He also said it "will be the most significant announcement in decades".. Anyone got any views what this means in a practical sense?

I was at the AGM last night and Cameron Scwab said that the MFC will be brought back in as sporting section of the MCC.He also said it "will be the most significant announcement in decades".. Anyone got any views what this means in a practical sense?

That's a really good question. What are the benefits now that weren't there when we severed ties with the MCC?

In the AGM post, it was stated that it would be too expensive to move our administration base to the MCG, hence the hybrid model proposed by Schwab. Surely this would be one obvious benefit of being part of the MCC.

That's a really good question. What are the benefits now that weren't there when we severed ties with the MCC?

In the AGM post, it was stated that it would be too expensive to move our administration base to the MCG, hence the hybrid model proposed by Schwab. Surely this would be one obvious benefit of being part of the MCC.

It was actually stated that it would cost >$800K to move the whole admin to the bubble stadium. Also that we would not fit all our staff in the space allocated. In the hybrid model it would only cost us about $300K or less. Our cost at the MCG is part of the sponsorshop by the MCC.

What does it mean that we will be brought in as a sporting section of the MCC? Space on the wall for old photos? Spot in the MCC newsletter to give a Club update?

While I think its great you attended and that I am all in favour of the MFC being a part of the MCC in a financial and operational way I am not sure your slant on matters may be correct given.....

Breaking news: In answer to a question from the floor Cameron Schwab said that he looked forward to seeing the Melbourne Football Club again being a section of the MCC.

I would want to hear from the MCC about what it is we are to become or indeed becoming first before I pop corks.

The club probably see the MCC as the parent who had their children move out because they saw there parents as old school and not upto speed with the latest trends. (From my understanding this is partly correct as the MCC was slow to move from amateur sporting organisation to professional stadium.) Now the child, realising how hard the world is when you try and live on reputation alone wants to move back home. Will it help our club? I think so but we need details. The lack of 1 place to call home during the season is still a massive concern and Bubbledome just doesn't feel right to me. Time will tell!

It means that the club will always survive because it now has the backing of the MCC... also means more sponser will get on board as they will be negioating with the MCC and have access to the MCC...

Practically the football department may lose money because theMCC doesn't want to provide coin

Practically the football department may lose money because theMCC doesn't want to provide coin

Speculative, but I would suggest that football operations would be unlikely to suffer as we are already one of the clubs who have cut as close to the bone as possible already. Administration could be a massive saving for the club in terms of pooling resources, membership departments, marketing, sponsorship etc etc etc. Huge potential benifits that could well lead to an increase in spending for football operations. Potentially even wider access to the MCG for training as well. If this is the case this could be the biggest news our club has had in a long time.

Well I assume it'd clear up the sponsorhip debacle.

I am hoping that the MCC deal happens - it may also be a reason that commercial sponsorship is stiil being negotiated - there may be a bigger and more lucrative, but more complex situation than if just dealing with MFC - fingers crossed big time!

I agree it would be great news, just trying to think what some of the positives and negatives are

I think I'm finally starting to believe in the vision of the club. The Melbourne football club lacks in an Identity also a brand and a home and the facts are when we split with the mcc we officially gave all of that away. The mcc is our past and its our heritage and it is also when we were at our most dominant. Getting back with the mcc means a lot more than just dollars and cents. It we do it right it will mean respect and power, the mcc packs a lot bigger punch than the mfc.

Ahem *Cough* And the MCC has said...???

At the moment its a pipedream and it will depend what the relationship between MCC and MFC will be in the future. People need to realise that the MCC is not a sugar daddy solution. If there is a financial relationship it will come with strings on the MFC

Currently neither the AFL nor the MCC are keen to take on or be responsible for an operation thats financially bleeding like an open wound.

It means after a Collingwood game we can say "Thanks for paying, now get off our ground"

If it happens (and it's already been pointed out that it's not near to being set in stone) it would make us part of an organisation worth in excess of $200m rather than being an outfit that's worth in excess of a negative figure of $2m. With due respect to the great RDB, we would still have to worry about the business side of things but we'd certainly have a fair sized cushion of comfort.

However, there might be some pitfalls to consider as well. Once you become a section of the MCC, you lose a measure of your independence. Questions therefore need to be asked about the cost and effect of that and whether it's worth selling your soul to achieve such an outcome.

This is not to say I'm against the idea. Just playing devil's advocate.

Fair enough Jack, but the situation has changed somewhat since the bad old days. With the salary cap in place and the salaries of the coaching staff known, boards do not have much wriggke room, not withstanding Carlton.

This would mean that the MCC would just have to demand that we work within the league's parameters, something that we are already doing.

I am ambivalent on this one; I see good and bad points on each side.

If it happens (and it's already been pointed out that it's not near to being set in stone) it would make us part of an organisation worth in excess of $200m rather than being an outfit that's worth in excess of a negative figure of $2m. With due respect to the great RDB, we would still have to worry about the business side of things but we'd certainly have a fair sized cushion of comfort.

However, there might be some pitfalls to consider as well. Once you become a section of the MCC, you lose a measure of your independence. Questions therefore need to be asked about the cost and effect of that and whether it's worth selling your soul to achieve such an outcome.

This is not to say I'm against the idea. Just playing devil's advocate.

One immediate benifit that could be is potentially no more need to sell home games interstate.

This would be a great move in my opinion and it was probably the best intiative to have come out of the Gardner administration.

I would be more than happy to forgo my voting rights if it would guarantee that there would always be a Melbourne (demons) Football Club in Melbourne that I could support.

Unfortunately, I am yet to see any evidence that we are any closer on this front than we were a year ago.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
One immediate benifit that could be is potentially no more need to sell home games interstate.
montasaurus, maybe the club should look out side the square on this issue,if they get payed big money to play elsewhere they should take it,imagine were we would be today if tassie were our major sponsor, probably sitting at home rite now having a beer and looking at the premiership photo on the wall, they should try and stich up 3 games a year in canberra, there crazy if they dont,400,000 a game is 1.2 million a season, there desperate for afl games, we should strike while the chance is there,kennet mite be a [censored] to us but he knew they wouldnt survive in victoria on there own, were do u think the roos will be in 3yrs time, they put put a lot work into the ACT now we should finish it off,kenett did at the hawks what eddy tried to do at the pies in the half the time, now you have to the respect the man for that, and the hawks security is set through smart thinking.

I'd rather play sold games in Casey.

If Canberra is desperate for footy, a large percentage is only desperate for the Swans. I'd rather play games in our own neighbourhood, I want Casey to be Demon territory - our home town

Unfortunately, I am yet to see any evidence that we are any closer on this front than we were a year ago.

If you'd bothered to go to the AGM you would have found that Board members and staff were quite approachable for a chat after the conclusion. You could have asked any question you want.

This would be a great move in my opinion and it was probably the best intiative to have come out of the Gardner administration.

I would be more than happy to forgo my voting rights if it would guarantee that there would always be a Melbourne (demons) Football Club in Melbourne that I could support.

I'm surprised about that because I can't recall this issue being raised in the media during Gardner's term in office. I suppose if it was, then his board will deserve some of the credit if and when it comes to pass.

However, even with no official word from the MCC, the fact that it's being discussed in an open forum at an official club meeting must be some evidence that it's getting closer.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
I'd rather play sold games in Casey.

If Canberra is desperate for footy, a large percentage is only desperate for the Swans. I'd rather play games in our own neighbourhood, I want Casey to be Demon territory - our home town

everyone would prefer that option, buts thats a long way down the track,the swans play in sydney there futures assured, i find it hard to see a local council paying us big dollars to play footy at casey, its not going to happen, ant to be honest 45 it could take 10yrs before it does, i live 800 mtrs from casey fields, and you guys all know its a brilliant set up , but i wouldnt rely on a local council,to fork out big money to play there, if the ACT offered us 1.2million for 3 games a season would you take it, i certainly would, and im sure all those hawks fans last september love tasmania, 45hotgod to lose 3 games ayear isnt the end of the world, if it can make us financially stable.

In the '60s and '70s when the MFC was still part of the MCC, us football club members were the poor relations and got no benefits at all from the MCC.

If it happens, there must be some benefits for MFC members and even MFC supporters.

As an example, perhaps MFC members can have limited access to the MCC facilities on match days and at other times? Perhaps we will be able to pay a small match-day fee to gain access to the MCC area?

Other ideas????

Selling one game to the GABBA hasn't helped make us financially stable, nor the game to Canberra.

The Tassie move worked for the Hawks because it was already a footy mad State desperate to see some AFL action. It helped Hawthorn's money problems not only because of the absurd amount of money poured in by the Tassie Government, but also by the amount of merchandise/memberships sold in the state which we would not receive through selling 3 games to Canberra.

All in all, Canberra is not a viable option going forward.

I also don't think Casey is that far away if we go hard at it. The benefit of Casey is that it can also sell memberships/merchandise/generate supporters.