Uh-oh

LeBron James

DOGS LAND $1.5M SPONSORSHIP DEAL

EXCLUSIVE: THE Western Bulldogs will today announce international company Mission Foods as their major sponsor.

Although the Dogs remained tight-lipped last night, it is understood Mission has signed on for three years, with the possibility of an extension to five.

The deal with the world's largest supplier of tortilla products is worth $1.5 million a year.

The news is a major body blow to Melbourne, which has also been courting Mission for several weeks.

The Demons, still without a replacement for Primus Telecom, recently delivered a major presentation to Mission at the MCG, hoping to woo the company.

Melbourne's five-year sponsorship deal with Primus wound up at the end of the season and the Demons had put a lot of energy into luring Mission.

The wooden spooner was yesterday coming to grips with Mission's decision to favour the Dogs.

Safe to say we are fairly screwed if something doesn't come up quickly.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the outside world, we are an uninspiring club, hence the reasons why we can't attract players from other clubs nor a major sponsor. What exactly are our selling points?

And we continued our trend of blandness by appointing Junior as captain. No offence to Junior, but the media are hardly going to bang down our doors down asking for requests to do interviews with him. And if the club hasn't worked it out yet, sponsorship is all about media exposure.

I feel for Cameron Schwab. Luring a major sponsor will be Mission Impossible. (Pun intended).......

It does look like MI now if Mission was our target.

Why the Dogs and not us?

Possiblity of finals football in the next two years? Dogs yes; Us 2009 No; 2010 maybe but not all that probable.

Grand Final Prospects next three years? Dogs possible; Us highly unlikely.

Fixture: Dogs 5 Friday nights; Us 1.

A mix of on field and fixturing looks likely as one element in the decision.

Any other ideas?

And the upside might be...this year you can buy a beautiful Melbourne jumper without some commercial on it.

It does look like MI now if Mission was our target.

Why the Dogs and not us?

Possiblity of finals football in the next two years? Dogs yes; Us 2009 No; 2010 maybe but not all that probable.

Grand Final Prospects next three years? Dogs possible; Us highly unlikely.

Fixture: Dogs 5 Friday nights; Us 1.

A mix of on field and fixturing looks likely as one element in the decision.

Any other ideas?

And the upside might be...this year you can buy a beautiful Melbourne jumper without some commercial on it.

The dogs agreed to take the sponsorship benefit in quesadillas ;)

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

at least theres no competition now, what a joke, but we should sit back and have some faith, the clubs done a fantastic job in the last 6mnths and they now what there doing.

Could we find out what foods they make so we can boycott them? when I last looked we had more members than the dogs.

Tortillas, taco shells, corn chips the usual Tex-Mex basics.

Actually found a packet of Mission tortillas in my fridge this morning - last batch I buy.

I really think it's the Dogs potential media exposure, particularly over the next two years that would have decided this.

Look at it from the company's point of view - they are new to the market and they want the biggest exposure for their (sob) one and a half million bucks a year (can't quite believe it).

all hands off..the panic buttons..ffs.

Its just one company Mfc were pitchig to and we dipped out ( npi ) They arent the only corp that Schwabby is courting.

Have a little faith :)

Guest melbman
Could we find out what foods they make so we can boycott them? when I last looked we had more members than the dogs.

They are now on the list of foods that do not ever come into my household (sour grapes? hell yes!)

all hands off..the panic buttons..ffs.

Its just one company Mfc were pitchig to and we dipped out ( npi ) They arent the only corp that Schwabby is courting.

Have a little faith smile.gif

It's getting hard to have a little faith after everything we have gone after this off season has been turned down. Even our captaincy announcement which was hope to bring some media did sweet f a

at least theres no competition now, what a joke, but we should sit back and have some faith, the clubs done a fantastic job in the last 6mnths and they now what there doing.

Agreed.

And we continued our trend of blandness by appointing Junior as captain. No offence to Junior, but the media are hardly going to bang down our doors down asking for requests to do interviews with him. And if the club hasn't worked it out yet, sponsorship is all about media exposure.

Are the media going to bang down the door asking for interviews if your preferences for captain, Green or Bruce were appointed? I dont think so. Neither have any media charisma about them.

The captaincy appintment of Junior has little to do with the sponsorship matter just a platform for you to erngage in another pointless whinge about the Club without putting up any reasonable or thoughtful alternative.

There are other more tangible reasons for our sponsorship problems and those problems have existed for years prior to the current administration.

Are the media going to bang down the door asking for interviews if your preferences for captain, Green or Bruce were appointed? I dont think so. Neither have any media charisma about them.

The captaincy appintment of Junior has little to do with the sponsorship matter just a platform for you to erngage in another pointless whinge about the Club without putting up any reasonable or thoughtful alternative.

There are other more tangible reasons for our sponsorship problems and those problems have existed for years prior to the current administration.

I understand what you're saying and I agree to some extent however over the last half dozen years the club has become very bland. we desperately need to start a new season to show case our new emerging talent.

Wrong, my preference for the captaincy is Brock McLean, but I could understand it if they gave Green or Bruce the captaincy, as both have at least 3 years of competitive football in them, and have done far more media than McDonald. In the position we are in, we need good media performers at the helm to sell the club. And neither Bailey or McDonald are good media performers.

And tell me what are the selling points of the current MFC?

I'll say this for you Rhino, you are at least consistent with your arguments. You never criticise those who are currently in office, but once they've left, you apportion the blame to them.

To the outside world, we are an uninspiring club, hence the reasons why we can't attract players from other clubs nor a major sponsor. What exactly are our selling points?

A couple of fair points and a good question there mo. I'm guessing that these are issues that our Club will be trying very hard to address via the Red and Blueprint, but clearly it will take time.

And we continued our trend of blandness by appointing Junior as captain.

Absolute horse faeces. Surely on-field improvement, leading to sustained success, is critical to raising the saleability of our Club .... and I would have thought (naively perhaps) that appointing the best available captain, who has the unanimous support of the playing group and coaching staff, is essential to making progress on this front in '09.

No offence to Junior, but the media are hardly going to bang down our doors down asking for requests to do interviews with him. And if the club hasn't worked it out yet, sponsorship is all about media exposure.

You seem to be arguing that we should have selected the second, third or fourth etc. best captaincy candidate, on the basis of their public profile or potential media credentials. Not for me thanks, and in any event Jimma, CC and CS seem to have been doing the media stuff pretty well for a while now.

I doubt that there are very many AFL captains who have 'doors banged down' by the media unless there is a story to tell. Melbourne have to build such a story (for the right reasons of course), and if they can do this (for example, by really surprising the media 'experts' with their on-field improvement in '09) then I'd wager that we'd see plenty of Junior in the media, and what's more, he'd handle that part of his captaincy role very capably.

Absolute horse faeces. Surely on-field improvement, leading to sustained success, is critical to raising the saleability of our Club .... and I would have thought (naively perhaps) that appointing the best available captain, who has the unanimous support of the playing group and coaching staff, is essential to making progress on this front in '09.

You seem to be arguing that we should have selected the second, third or fourth etc. best captaincy candidate, on the basis of their public profile or potential media credentials. Not for me thanks, and in any event Jimma, CC and CS seem to have been doing the media stuff pretty well for a while now.

An integral part of the captaincy is facing the media, and Tom Harley is a classic case in point. He's less of an on-field leader than Scarlett or Ablett, but is respected and extremely well spoken. Junior is a poor media performer who won't have the time to grow into the job.

On-field captaincy involves little more than tossing the coin, because nowadays, all players are expected to lead by example, not just the captain.

I'm devastated.

Nothing says 'on our way back up soon' better than a burrito.

Sure, I would've been very happy, and known for sure that everything was going to be ok, if we'd gotten that sponsorship.

But I really can't relate to the total doomsayers that slink around here.

And as for James McDonald as captain being a turn-off for sponsors...

a) You don't have to be captain to be a high-profile symbol of the club, Mclean, Davey, Robertson and a couple of the young guys will fill that.

and

B) Our consistent commitment to develop a positive ethic, dare I say 'role model values', at the club would be a major positive in the eyes of sponsors.

and

c) Seriously, bugger off, do you think a club captain should be chosen on the basis of who been on wheel-of-fortune the most?

Wrong, my preference for the captaincy is Brock McLean, but I could understand it if they gave Green or Bruce the captaincy, as both have at least 3 years of competitive football in them, and have done far more media than McDonald. In the position we are in, we need good media performers at the helm to sell the club. And neither Bailey or McDonald are good media performers.

And neither is Brock McLean a media performer except for getting his behaviour reported in despatches. So all you have done is complained with a plausible or viable solution. Nothing new.

And tell me what are the selling points of the current MFC?

No one on our list has the credibility to drag sponsors in at this point. At least Schwab would realise what the issues are unlike some and seek to address them.

I'll say this for you Rhino, you are at least consistent with your arguments. You never criticise those who are currently in office, but once they've left, you apportion the blame to them.

Wrong again Mo.

When I criticise its based on the facts unlike your good self.

An integral part of the captaincy is facing the media, and Tom Harley is a classic case in point. He's less of an on-field leader than Scarlett or Ablett, but is respected and extremely well spoken. Junior is a poor media performer who won't have the time to grow into the job.

Captaincy is first and foremost about leadership of players. Harley has it in spades. He is very much an on field leader. Harley is nothing special in the media but he is extremely well spoken so that must be why Geelong have sponsors.

On-field captaincy involves little more than tossing the coin, because nowadays, all players are expected to lead by example, not just the captain.

Its with little surprise that you make such a ridiculous statements like that. Just highlights how off the mark you are.