Mates Of Melbourne Function - Draft Preview

Tex

Thanks for the reports Haydo and WJ, but I find this comment disconcerting. I fail to see how Rivers can be back on track when he's unlikely to play round 1, which is 4 months away. We've taken a softly softly approach with him for the past 2 seasons, and he's broken down each time. I really hope that next season is different, but somehow, I've got my doubts.

It's unlike you to take a dim view of things, Mo.

Thanks for the reports Haydo and WJ, but I find this comment disconcerting. I fail to see how Rivers can be back on track when he's unlikely to play round 1, which is 4 months away. We've taken a softly softly approach with him for the past 2 seasons, and he's broken down each time. I really hope that next season is different, but somehow, I've got my doubts.

It's due to the nature of an abdominal tear. If you know much about weight training & working out, you always get told to do ab workouts last because it's pretty much the most frequently used muscles, so you use it in some way doing most other exercises and if you work it out first you'll find it harder to do everything else.

What this mean is they need to take a softly, softly approach to strengthening his abdominal muscles as anything he does as far as fitness goes will use these muscles. It's all just about gradually doing more & more and over time he'll build back the strength.

Also, Bailey didn't say he wouldn't play Round 1 just that he might not. I guess we won't really know how he's going until they can see how far he's come along and if he can complete in practice matches, etc.

It's unlike you to take a dim view of things, Mo.

After last season, I've got every right to be skeptical. We were constantly told that everyone was flying on the track, and the players in rehab were progressing well. A year down the track, and the coach was bemoaning the fact that only 20 players were able to train full tilt.

I'd rather the club be honest with the nature of our injury list.

Brilliant info, thanks guys.

That alone is enough for me to part with some hard earned and join MoM.

Awesome.

One thing I'm not sure was mentioned is that Neitz mentioned that MoM have nabbed a sponsor who's going to put in some significant money. Unfortunately I can't remember who at this moment in time.

I’m puzzled about how CJ came to the conclusion that he had more opportunities at a club like Carlton which is openly boasting about its pretensions to be a top four club than at Melbourne which is the current wooden spooner and, according to the pundits, is favourite for next year's spoon as well. Perhaps CJ has been dealing with people who may not be as honest and as forthright as our coach?

As others have said this shouldn't become a CJ thread. However, I do think that there are a number of Melbourne youngsters that could be vying for the same role as CJ in future, and CJ's been unable to secure a spot in our team over a number of years, so it's understandable he may feel there are more opportunities elsewhere.

One thing that struck me about Dean Bailey was his steely determination to do things according to his plan to build the club from the ground up with youth and that came out clearly in his very blunt and definitive statement about Ben Cousins.

To some extent he was giving the same message that St. Kilda gave a couple of days earlier in their explanation as to why they weren't taking him except Bailey has been resolute on this issue from day one when he first walked into the club while the Saints have, for several months during the Cousins saga, been acting as if quite the opposite applied. This is what gives Bails a huge tick in the credibility box which, given that he has to deal with a list of 44 or 46 young men from different backgrounds, will be a major plus for the club in the long run. This doesn't necessarily guarantee success as a coach – his coaching style will only be truly tested when the team he is building develops more down the track - but the building blocks are definitely there.

Some great informative updates on last night. Thanks to Rogue, WJ, Haydo, Redleg.

St.Kilda certainly has lost credibility on the Cousins saga with its members. They were never on a youth policy. St.Kilda members are not that dumb, they'll be letting their board know in no uncertain terms too.

Dean Bailey certainly has a steely determination in building the list with youth. He hasn't budged from this position all along.

Whilst Carlton's top 8-10 players are clearly superior to our top end talent, they have terrible issues with depth. They had a 99 goal full forward, arguably the premier midfielder in the game, and a few super talented kids but still finished 11th. I've no doubt that CJ sees a more secure role on a half back flank in Carlton's team than Melbourne's. And I agree with him. Throw in a little more money, a past relationship with Fagan and Ratten, feeling wanted, ...

Fagan??

Don't you mean Mark Riley?

St.Kilda certainly has lost credibility on the Cousins saga with its members. They were never on a youth policy. St.Kilda members are not that dumb, they'll be letting their board know in no uncertain terms too.

Can you imagine their members if they now turn around and pick up Carrol? :blink:

BP spoke of Watts' versatility as a player, noting that he could play in the midfield and up forward. He did disagree with the notion that Watts was a 'power forward' atm, but implied that he may become one. BP also highlighted Watts' pace and lateral movement.

Interesting comment from BP about Watts not baing a 'power forward', clearly they have some doubts that he will become one. I wonder if this is a sign? I think the decision was alot closer than most here think it is.

BP spoke of Watts' versatility as a player, noting that he could play in the midfield and up forward. He did disagree with the notion that Watts was a 'power forward' atm, but implied that he may become one. BP also highlighted Watts' pace and lateral movement.

Interesting comment from BP about Watts not baing a 'power forward', clearly they have some doubts that he will become one. I wonder if this is a sign? I think the decision was alot closer than most here think it is.

Wasn't there a distinct "yet" in that statement?

Yet/at the moment was certainly emphasized.

It read, 'may' to me.

Regardless how does anyone know what Watts will become? All they definitely know is what he is right now, and clearly that is that Watt is not a power forward. Reiwoldt, Jon Brown and all the other gun forwards I can think of were considered to be power forwards even before they were drafted.

The decision is alot closer than most here believes it to be.

Yet/at the moment was certainly emphasized.

Cheers Haydo, I just wanted to double check before the question marks appeared again......

At the end of the day we hope that the club makes the right call for what we need - whether they deem that to be Watts or NikNat - but to try and interpret, question and insinuate what a player may or may not be capable of in the years to come from a brief converstaion at promo event seems a little nutty.

Lets take what was said and believe it until we have further knowledge, its not long now.

And thanks Haydo, WJ & Rogue for their very comprehensive reports on the event last night, it makes those of us living far far away feel like we were there!!!

Is Riewoldt a power forward or a more athletic type forward that just runs hard and burns sides with his run. There is not doubt he is a KPP and is fearless. He just does not seem to be in the same box as a Brown or Tredrea.

Agree. Our makeshift full forward while not a shadow of Nick does try and play like him. Miller is at his best leading up the ground and marking on the run, as opposed to taking heavy grabs in packs like Brown.

It read, 'may' to me.

Regardless how does anyone know what Watts will become? All they definitely know is what he is right now, and clearly that is that Watt is not a power forward. Reiwoldt, Jon Brown and all the other gun forwards I can think of were considered to be power forwards even before they were drafted.

I'm with you all the way on that.

And I won't be disappointed no matter which one we choose. :)

It read, 'may' to me.

Riewoldt is a gun forward who uses his running prowess to his advantage, the likes of Tredrea and Brown are more your crash and bash type power forwards. IMO.

As Rogue stated through BP's views, Watts could make it as a midfielder and a very good key forward. More like your James Hird type. Which has been mooted a bit in some threads of recent times. No-one knows what Watts will become, or how good he'll be...but the collective opinions of recruiters is that the kid can definitely play and his records established at Draft Camp are certainly to take note of.

No-one knows how exactly any of the other kids will be either. Which is why when recruiters say 'may' or 'yet', its all a wait and see.

It read, 'may' to me.

Same. While BP didn't discount the notion that Watts could be a power forward he certainly didn't speak like that notion was inevitable.

I think it's a sign that Watts is a young guy and it's hard to predict whether he'll ever develop the physique of a power forward.

I think there do have to be some doubts. I've only seen some snippets of footage but he certainly doesn't seem to have the body of a Brown, but not many do and he's still young.

However, I'm sure there are other guys running around who do already have that 'power forward' physique.

Regardless, I wouldn't be fussed if he never became that 'power forward' some want - from what I know of the two contenders I'd still take him at #1.

You might be right regarding it being closer than some think, as that's exactly what BP said in comments published in an article on afl.com.au a few days ago.

Is Riewoldt a power forward or a more athletic type forward that just runs hard and burns sides with his run. There is not doubt he is a KPP and is fearless. He just does not seem to be in the same box as a Brown or Tredrea.

Summed him up in a sentence there. Riewoldt's engine and his hands are what set him apart. If he could kick straight he would be feared like Pav and Brown... but alas.

Same. While BP didn't discount the notion that Watts could be a power forward he certainly didn't speak like that notion was inevitable.

I think it's a sign that Watts is a young guy and it's hard to predict whether he'll ever develop the physique of a power forward.

I think there do have to be some doubts. I've only seen some snippets of footage but he certainly doesn't seem to have the body of a Brown, but not many do and he's still young.

However, I'm sure there are other guys running around who do already have that 'power forward' physique.

Regardless, I wouldn't be fussed if he never became that 'power forward' some want - from what I know of the two contenders I'd still take him at #1.

You might be right regarding it being closer than some think, as that's exactly what BP said in comments published in an article on afl.com.au a few days ago.

This is, I reckon, the reason we see the Nicnat/Watts debate rear its head so late in the piece. We've had a number of players recruited for their flexibility, and in the long run not having a home only has detrimental effects on their confidence. Perhaps there's concern that Watts will do everything BUT be a KP player or ruckman. Our need to recruit a spine and good big man in the ruck may have them thinking that the team's growth will be stunted as we are chock full of good tall wingmen...

I reckon as good as it is to have a big name in the square, I think it's more important to have a contest caused, like Neita did for the latter 5 or so years of his career. Watts is the kind of player, looking at the tapes, who will use all but his size to impose himself on games. We will need him to finish, and to create... we have a few guys now who can take out a big defender or two, and if we need to recruit another there's always going to be a lot of Brad Millers around.

For the record I reckon one of the big drawbacks with NicNat was that he's a one position player. And now it seems that's considered a pro instead of a con.

Less than 24 hours to go now before we find out if H will still be with us in the coming years. :)