Burgos Phantom Draft 08

Mousey

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys, jordan roughead is a sure thing to be a demon. i had him listed as pick 19 in my draft selections and now burgan has backed me up. while i dont want him, i'm resigned to the fact that we have no ruckmen and roughead will be picked up on a needs basis, its a complete waste of a draft pick considering he is just a standard ruckman but what can you do.

Last I checked we had 3 & a rookie. Not ideal, but i think we'll survive without burning a valuable draft pick.

Why do you say 'sure thing'? Cos you & Burga both picked it in a mock draft? Hardly a sure thing

or is there more to it..?

........i am going on a killing spree. It looks like Burgan is a west coast supporter.

settle down mate, its a MOCK DRAFT.

I think he's got no idea myself, & the only picks he's gotten right in other drafts imo are the absolute locks.

Relax a bit.

Whelan Martin Garland

Grimes Rivers Buckley

Morton Bruce Bate

Sylvia Shoenamakers Davey

Green Watts Aussie

Johnson

Jones

Mclean

I/C

Walters

Jamar

Mcdonald

Swift

Maloney

Wheatley

Robertson

Miller

Maric

i know have probably left someone out but thats a great squad on paper

WOW!!!!

Did you have any reason other then that you think we'll pick a ruckman then to think we'll take Roughead at 19? If not, you are calling something a "certainty" based on a coincidence of opinion between you and Burgen?:rolleyes:

Have a look just how many players Burgen listed as options for us at pick 17. Count them all, there's 12. That's a lot of players, almost twice as many as listed possibles for the 16 picks prior. Translation, Burgen haqs NFI and he's covering all bases by casting a wide net.

roughead is the most highly fancied ruckman outside naitanui, mckernan isnt a genuine ruckman..so yeh i think its a certainty. Burgan also said that melbourne will be picking up a ruckman with either pick 17 or 19..so yeh...we may not pick up lynch at 17 but we sure as hell will pick up roughead at pick 19 regardless

roughead is the most highly fancied ruckman outside naitanui, mckernan isnt a genuine ruckman..so yeh i think its a certainty. Burgan also said that melbourne will be picking up a ruckman with either pick 17 or 19..so yeh...we may not pick up lynch at 17 but we sure as hell will pick up roughead at pick 19 regardless

But.. my understanding is the we will not be picking for positional requirements at that stage.

& how the hell would Burgan know who we'll be picking up at that stage?

I think (hope) you're way off

But.. my understanding is the we will not be picking for positional requirements at that stage.

& how the hell would Burgan know who we'll be picking up at that stage?

I think (hope) you're way off

of course clubs pick up on positional requirements. clubs say that they dont pick on needs, but they all do.

how would burgan know? that's his job and he has been pretty spot on in other years.

Forgetting Vickery are we? But he'll be gone as well. Burgen say lots of things, doesn't mean it'll come true. He might know were interested in a few ruckman & he's put 2 & 2 together and got 22. Everything out of the club has been that we'll go best available at 19, obviously position has some consideration but even taking into account that we need a ruckman, we still need mids and i don't think Roughead would be that high on our list.

of course clubs pick up on positional requirements. clubs say that they dont pick on needs, but they all do.

how would burgan know? that's his job and he has been pretty spot on in other years.

In later picks yes we'll draft for needs, but not a pick at the start of the 2nd round in THIS draft.

And Burgan's predictions are vastly over-rated.

I don't comment on who we will take as I wouldn't bloody know.

What I found interesting in Burgo's draft is that he described Lynch at 191.7cms as a tall forward and Swift at 190.9cms as a medium mid fielder. How does that work?.

Whelan Martin Garland

Grimes Rivers Buckley

Morton Bruce Bate

Sylvia Shoenamakers Davey

Green Watts Aussie

Johnson

Jones

Mclean

I/C

Walters

Jamar

Mcdonald

Swift

Maloney

Wheatley

Robertson

Miller

Maric

i know have probably left someone out but thats a great squad on paper

WOW!!!!

Dont forget Ricky Petterd! this kid is off the radar due to hardly being spotted last year but was injured for most. He can really play!

If we take Lynch and Roughead at 17 and 19 over Swift and Shoenmakers.......................

In the words of Terry Wallace (wallet)..."I'll spew up!" ;)

I'd rather a ruckman fall from the sky and land in our lap (Ie Spencer), than waste pick 19.

Lynch maybe, personally Shoenmakers for me.

The names below are players who are suggested that will fall between around Pick 17 -19

JACKSON TRENGOVE

LEWIS JOHNSTON

SAM BLEASE

ASHLEY SMITH

PHIL DAVIS

MITCH BROWN

NICK HEYNE

JORDAN LISLE

LUKE SHUEY

The names below are players who Melbourne are reportedly interested in who it is suggested that fall between around Pick 17 -19

RYAN SCHOENMAKERS

TOM LYNCH

TOM SWIFT

JORDAN ROUGHEAD

SHAUN McKERNAN

DAVID ZAHARAKIS

DAYNE BEAMS

NICK SUBAN

JAMES STRAUSS

MICHAEL WALTERS

JARRAD REDDEN

WILL YOUNG

Whilst I'd dearly love to end up with Swift, I think we're probably better off if we end up with a combination of McKernan, Lisle, Johnston, Schoenmakers, Mitch Brown, Trengove, Phil Davis or Cornelius here.

I think we're a fair chance to have a few of those to choose from & i think we'd be close to taking them too.

Ruckmen should be worried about late in the draft as the key with them is development, imho.

& frankly i don't see it as a priority right now.

I tell you who i havent really thought about drafting till now-

JAMES STRAUSS

Again i have only seen youtube footage and i dont see myself as a scout or anything but the kid really seems to have silky pin point accuaracy, runs at a pretty good speed and judging by the youtube footage of the grandfinal between WA and Metro it was Strauss to Watts every time watts got the ball!

I get a feeling we may be high on this fella at 17

If Swift & Schoenmakers are both available @ 17 who do people think we should take given he thinks WCE will want one or the other?

Swift, all the way. Pick 19 could be any one of a number of KP players.

its a complete waste of a draft pick considering he is just a standard ruckman but what can you do.

Nothing, if we get him. I hope we don't. Shoenmakers would be way better. Even McKernan.

Translation, Burgen haqs NFI and he's covering all bases by casting a wide net.

Sound logic, and I hope you're right.

JAMES STRAUSS

When I saw his name in some mock drafts, I got a bit worried... but I have been having a look at him recently, and I'd be happy with him at 19 now... especially over Lynch and Roughead who will be fairly uninspired choices. Lynch could be a Justin Leppitsch type, simply because he has the work ethic. Roughead sounds like an average version of his brother... who without Franklin wouldn't be nearly as highly rated.

Draft for needs with picks 35 and beyond... Please.

JAMES STRAUSS

Again i have only seen youtube footage and i dont see myself as a scout or anything but the kid really seems to have silky pin point accuaracy, runs at a pretty good speed and judging by the youtube footage of the grandfinal between WA and Metro it was Strauss to Watts every time watts got the ball!

I get a feeling we may be high on this fella at 17

Im very good mates with him and hes told me Melbourne r very interested. Praying to god we get him

Do you think Barry Prendagast gives out as much information as Craig Cameron did? It sounds like Burgan has far less info on our picks this year than last year.

I, personally, would be surprised if Roughead came to us at 19. It wouldn't surpise me to see us look closely at Dayne Beams, though.

There are a few people around who were dead against trading for Prismall (a proven mid-fielder in one of the best clubs in the league) with Pick 35 because of his injury concerns.

Now some of those same people want to use Pick 17 on a unproven player who has done two knees, Tom Swift.

Swift sounds great, don't get me wrong and sure Prismall was going to miss some of 2009, but does anyone not see a bit of disparity in the thinking here?.

Perhaps a few people with the 'draft as our saviour' goggles on?

There are a few people around who were dead against trading for Prismall (a proven mid-fielder in one of the best clubs in the league) with Pick 35 because of his injury concerns.

Now some of those same people want to use Pick 17 on a unproven player who has done two knees, Tom Swift.

Swift sounds great, don't get me wrong and sure Prismall was going to miss some of 2009, but does anyone not see a bit of disparity in the thinking here?.

Perhaps a few people with the 'draft as our saviour' goggles on?

With the list of injuries our midfield already carries I can't see us picking Swift, but who knows? Looking forward to this draft being over

Watts

Schoenmakers

Strauss

Roughead

Redden

Nothing, if we get him. I hope we don't. Shoenmakers would be way better. Even McKernan.

Agree. Shoenmakers for me, has a bit of class and good skills. Strauss, I'm warming to.

Lynch, I would be ok with at pick 17 or 19, having re-visited my research.

Draft for needs with picks 35 and beyond... Please.

Oh, yes!