Burgos Phantom Draft 08

Mousey

Burgan has changed his top 20:

Matt Burgan says:

Since publishing my Phantom Draft at 2pm AEDT on Wednesday, it has been revealed that Fremantle will almost certainly be selecting Stephen Hill with pick No.3.

As a result, I have reordered the first 20 picks as follows:

1. Jack Watts (Melbourne)

2. Nick Naitanui (West Coast)

3. Stephen Hill (Fremantle)

4. Hamish Hartlett (Port Adelaide)

5. Daniel Rich (Essendon)

6. Michael Hurley (Carlton)

7. Chris Yarran (Brisbane Lions)

8. Tyrone Vickery (Richmond)

9. Jack Ziebell (North Melbourne)

10. Jackson Trengove (Adelaide)

11. Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood)

12. Lewis Johnston (Sydney Swans)

13. Tom Lynch (St Kilda)

14. Ayce Cordy (Western Bulldogs)

15. Ashley Smith (Geelong)

16. Sam Blease (Hawthorn)

17. Ryan Schoenmakers (Melbourne)

18. Tom Swift (West Coast)

19. Dayne Beams (Melbourne)

20. Phil Davis (West Coast)

http://www.afl.com.au/News/AFLBlogs/...x?newsId=70232

Jeez HE must or recruiters must fancy this Lynch guy more than i do! now up to 13 for the saints!!

Hope he has our selection 17 right!! Swap Beams with the outside midfielder in Strauss and ill be over the moon

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though he undoubtedly reminds me of him, its a big call to make this early in his career. But god, a great one if you're right.

Yeah, look... I'm not saying he'll be Hird's equal. Even if he was there's no telling if a Hird-type player will find a home in modern day footy as it seems to change every year... The best we can do, especially as fans, is take what we know (Hird = pretty bloody good player) and if we see a player emulate him, identify the parallel. The amount of times players get compared to established stars, and then turn out completely different.... it's a wonder anyone does it at all. I've heard Bizzell - Ablett, Dunn - Schwartz, S. Buckley - Judd...

Lynch trained with us as part of his AIS program.. i watched the champs on tv and he is a matthew bate clone!

I rate Matty... but am conscious of the fact we don't need two of him. The second one would be redundant, unless due to his average kick he goes into defence. I reckon Lynch at best will be known as a fiercely competitive 1-on-1 defender one day. Bears all the hallmarks, including the overblown arrogance of a Scarlett/Fletcher/Michael/Martyn/Leppitsch... But for me it's just not enough for a top twenty pick in a draft like this. It's like the Alwyn/Aaron debate. You have one, and with a clone, you don' really buy any variety... And you become conscious that opposition coaches might consider you predictable.

- Want McKernan at 17 to form a formidable Watts-McKernan two pronged attack for the next decade.

-Danny Hughes as our last draft pick is a prank right?

- Would be keen on selecting Tom Hislop or Greg Bentley at pick 67 and pass on our last pick. Hopefully draft a gem in the PSD.

- McKernan would be ok. But I'd prefer Shoenmakers... has class written all over him.

- I've put a lot of thought into the Hughes thing. If he;s dropped after another injury then yes, I'd be [censored]. But he had talent... was just SO skinny. If you KNOW he can play, and you get 100 games out of him, then that's a win for your average rookie. Worked for Robbo didn't it? And hey, it could be worse. We could rookie Weetra. Wouldn't that set about 10 cats among a pigeon...

- I've cooled on Hislop... just my 5 cents.

On the Weetra thing... we delisted him at the end of this season. I can see us putting him in a rookie spot. That's he kind of thing MFC would do.

- I've cooled on Hislop... just my 5 cents.

I'm with you all the way on that one. I've cooled on any recycled players now, but especially him.

Where there's smoke there's fire, & its like Ash Wednesday where this kid is concerned.

Matt Stevens - 11/27/2008 12:24:29 PM

Great job with the Phantom mate!

Just one question-

I am a dees supporter, and i see you have Shoenmakers at 17 which i hope is True!! and then beams at 19, i really hope we go after James Strauss at 19, whats the chances of this happening?

And why is Lynch so highly rated?

Matt says:

Schoenmakers has been strongly linked to Hawthorn and Melbourne. But most clubs in the teens will be looking at him closely. Melbourne is definitely interested in Strauss and he could genuinely be taken at 17 through to its next pick at 35.

Lynch is highly rated by the recruiters and most believe he is a top 20 pick. I believe the interest in St Kilda is now quite strong. He could go from 12-25.

I'm certain we must go tall with our first 2 picks

And i'm even more certain that WC will take Swift at 18 if he's available. Statements like that are just plain stupid, sorry to sound mean but that's what they are. If we rate Swift higher but take that risk that we can get him at 19 because we think "we have to go tall with pick 1 & 17" and then WC take him at 18, we have the stupidest recruiting team in the league. That sort of decision would rate up there with freo's trading record.

So in response to you statement (if we are to take a mid at either 17 or 19), i think that we almost have to take the mid at 17. It's widely know that WC have good, young KP stocks and want mids, so if they take Naitanui they'll be most likely looking to get 2 mids at 18 & 20. So using that logic we should take a mid at 17 & whatever tall we're after will still be available at 19 because WC will have gone small.

Asked Matt about Tom swift and he replyed with "There is a real chance Swift could get to Melbourne at No.17 now.". For all you swift fans like me, i hope he falls to our pick and we take him :).

Also have to mention a big thanks to Burgo for all the effort he puts into all this for all the fans, really appreciate it.

Asked Matt about Tom swift and he replyed with "There is a real chance Swift could get to Melbourne at No.17 now.". For all you swift fans like me, i hope he falls to our pick and we take him :).

Also have to mention a big thanks to Burgo for all the effort he puts into all this for all the fans, really appreciate it.

Ha just read that on the website Chief Demon, great work.

I wonder what he means by "now"?

I've read I think on this forum that Swift and Morton are best friends? Any truth to that?

And i'm even more certain that WC will take Swift at 18 if he's available. Statements like that are just plain stupid, sorry to sound mean but that's what they are. If we rate Swift higher but take that risk that we can get him at 19 because we think "we have to go tall with pick 1 & 17" and then WC take him at 18, we have the stupidest recruiting team in the league. That sort of decision would rate up there with freo's trading record.

Not sure if I can agree with you there. SWIFT IS A RISK. How can any of us judge if his body is up to it, only the medico's but even then they will be guessing. I can see what you are saying about west coast, but if we do take swift there is a high chance they could take the next best tall as there is a strong chance they will still take rich at 2.

TALL KPP's are our 1st priority this year

Yeh Neita3000, that "now" part has got me pretty excited and yeh i have also heard about the Swift and Morton being good mates, but i am not sure if its true.

All draftees are no certainty to make the grade, and if we are going with best player available than we really should consider picking up Swift at 17. At 19 there is still quality KP to be picked up and we should be picking up Watts at no.1.

I've read I think on this forum that Swift and Morton are best friends? Any truth to that?

You read right. I posted this nearly 2 months ago.

Also, not that it should make much difference, but he is pretty much best friends with Cale Morton. Cale missed part of the end of year trip to stop in to Perth and see his friends (Swift). So they would want to stay together at the club, killing any go home factor if there was one.

I know Cales brothers (and possibly parents now?) are here in Victoria, so there is no go home factor there. But if there was for Swift, him being best mates with Cale would help to kill that off you would think?

I really hope we get Swift at 17. From all reports he tested well at draft camp, and the doctors tests came back positive, so I'm frankly surprised he's listed that low in the Phantom Draft. If we took him and it worked out, it would be a steal. This kid, had he not been injured, could have gone #1 or at least top 5. He has immense talent.

Take a tall like Mckernan or Shoenmakers at 19. Throw in a Strauss or one of the other second tier mids likely to be around at 35, maybe a ruckman, and that would be a very good draft for us. Would go a fair way towards helping the rebuild. Still more work to be done, but that would be a great start!

I really hope we get Swift at 17. From all reports he tested well at draft camp, and the doctors tests came back positive, so I'm frankly surprised he's listed that low in the Phantom Draft. If we took him and it worked out, it would be a steal. This kid, had he not been injured, could have gone #1 or at least top 5. He has immense talent.

Take a tall like Mckernan or Shoenmakers at 19. Throw in a Strauss or one of the other second tier mids likely to be around at 35, maybe a ruckman, and that would be a very good draft for us. Would go a fair way towards helping the rebuild. Still more work to be done, but that would be a great start!

Sounds good to me. If Swift's there at 17, I'll like to take him and willing to back him in. If it works out, what a steal. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I'll cop that. I won't be one who moans and [censored] 3-4 years down the track. If the medicos give him the all clear, take him.

You read right. I posted this nearly 2 months ago.

I know Cales brothers (and possibly parents now?) are here in Victoria, so there is no go home factor there. But if there was for Swift, him being best mates with Cale would help to kill that off you would think?

I really hope we get Swift at 17. From all reports he tested well at draft camp, and the doctors tests came back positive, so I'm frankly surprised he's listed that low in the Phantom Draft.

SOLD on the idea now. My concerns were Go-Home and injury. So on that basis we could be in with a real chance as no WA clubs late 1st round and they would be a bit gun shy i think of both the above concerns.

Not sure if I can agree with you there. SWIFT IS A RISK. How can any of us judge if his body is up to it, only the medico's but even then they will be guessing. I can see what you are saying about west coast, but if we do take swift there is a high chance they could take the next best tall as there is a strong chance they will still take rich at 2.

TALL KPP's are our 1st priority this year

I don't think there's much of a chance at all they take Rich, but if they do then it changes things. But all my opinions were based on them taking Naitanui.

Tall KPF may be a priority for us this year, but they are not our only need. What i mean by this is we shouldn't take a lesser KPF with a high pick just because it's a priority and pass up someone who we might consider a better player but who's not KP. I have faith that Melbourne will improve going forward, but i'm realistic and know that we've got a lot more issues then just Key forwards.

And that risk has to build part of how highly we rate Swift. Without the injuries he'd most likely be top 10, so the concerns are why he'd slip, but if we're confident that he's recovered well then we should take him if he's rated higher then the other players available then. He's not the only player who's had an injury in this draft, a few other 1st round chances who've had series injuries are Trengove, Vickery and Lynch.

Swift was just an example anyway, i still want us to take Blease or Ash Smith over talls if they were available at 17.

Yeh Neita3000, that "now" part has got me pretty excited and yeh i have also heard about the Swift and Morton being good mates, but i am not sure if its true.

I'm not sure about best friends but i've certainly heard before that Cale & Swift are good friends.

I think by "now" he's mean since he's updated his phantom & has Lynch going before Melbourne's pick, that shortens the odds on Swift if he's available

Ok, in the past three weeks we have considered the recruitment of two players with injuries to their knees.

I'm still having trouble understanding the logic behind most on this board refusing to even consider Prismall with Pick 35, who was a proven mid at GEELONG.

And the frenzy to spend Pick 17 on a bloke with two serious knee injuries who has played barely any footy for two years at junior level.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing and I'll go away...

Well well well now i am worried!!! my source told me (if you remember high tower) that Freo would take HILL at 3 sometime ago

and that source seems to be spot on and right in amongst it...... the bad news is that the same source has said that the MFC are taking natanui and not Watts.

interesting to note Burgan now has us taking Beams and shoenmakers!!!!! (like it) but only if we take watts and not Natanui

Since publishing my Phantom Draft at 2pm AEDT on Wednesday, it has been revealed that Fremantle will almost certainly be selecting Stephen Hill with pick No.3.

13. Tom Lynch (St Kilda)

Well well well now i am worried!!! my source told me (if you remember high tower) that Freo would take HILL at 3 sometime ago

and that source seems to be spot on and right in amongst it...... the bad news is that the same source has said that the MFC are taking natanui and not Watts.

interesting to note Burgan now has us taking Beams and shoenmakers!!!!! (like it) but only if we take watts and not Natanui

13. Tom Lynch (St Kilda)

You know what Goose, Burgo's draft could be real close to the first 20 IMO, it depends what Freo and Port do - of course. And yes, I do remember, I also believe Hill will go at 3 as I stated earlier on a thread recently: -

http://forums.demonland.com/index.php?show...40&start=40

Putting Hartlett at 4 could be on the money. There is big wraps on him in SA. And Burgo's right in that Essendon - you would think - would then be obliged to get the best available next in Rich. Hurley would then slip to Carlton and make them happy.

We'll see about Nik Nat and Watts.... but Watts will be it I believe. Like you say, you hope I'm right.

Here's my final top 20: -

4. Daniel Rich (Port Adelaide)

5. Michael Hurley (Essendon)

6. Chris Yarran (Carlton)

7. Jack Ziebell (Brisbane Lions)

9. Hamish Hartlett (North Melbourne)

11. Dayne Beams (Collingwood)

12. Tom Swift (Sydney Swans)

13. Sam Blease (St Kilda)

15. Steele Sidebottom (Geelong)

16. Phil Davis (Hawthorn)

17. Tom Lynch (Melbourne)

18. Ashley Smith (West Coast)

19. David Zaharkis (Melbourne)

20. Michael Walters (West Coast)

Ok, in the past three weeks we have considered the recruitment of two players with injuries to their knees.

I'm still having trouble understanding the logic behind most on this board refusing to even consider Prismall with Pick 35, who was a proven mid at GEELONG.

And the frenzy to spend Pick 17 on a bloke with two serious knee injuries who has played barely any footy for two years at junior level.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing and I'll go away...

Prismall is a proven VFL mid Fork. He plays seconds when none of geelong's top mids are injured. Don't you remember Heff Fork. It's a hell of a lot easier for Prismall to look good when he has Ablett, Bartel and co around him.