JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF ONE

Whispering_Jack

i know whose opinions i'd back as well and i've been saying that all along mate.

the argument that i was trying to say, is that these boys dont think that he is currently the best junior in the country...most of them couldnt care less whether he has potential or not, they just care about how good he is now, and whilst they still think he is pretty good, he didnt play very well against them, so judging him by that match, they don't rate him very highly.

again, if people attempted to read my entire posts, my mates are going by how good he is now, and basically, if some of them were asked, "who is currently the best junior in the country?" (which is what pick 1 usually is), they probably wouldnt consider watts to be it. they are not claiming to be experts. i am not claiming them to be experts, i am just stating that there is more than one opinion about watts and some people dont rate him as highly as we do here at demonland...

I still think it's important to look at these things from another perspective, that is all.

How hell would they know anything of substance?

If you dont back their opinions then I would not be wasting time posting them and defending them. And if you do then its the blind leading the blind!!

I am not sure how pimply 17yos are valid, experienced or reliable judges of one player over another. And its pure schoolyard brag that can make any insightful assessment on who is the best junior in the country.

I know whose opinions I'd back and it aint theres.

Morton to Watts has summed it pretty well

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nugget, please learn that we don't give a flying [censored] on the opinions of people who have played against him once, especially since he was balancing school footy, TAC Cup and maybe even the Carnival at the time.

That Larke medal represents that he is one of if not the best U18 in Australia. Alright? I don't care if he had one average school footy game, and i'm sure many other people on here dont.

FFS, look i did not start this if you go to the top of the thread...this was started by eastie boyz and i have been defending my mates ever since

I AGREE with most of your opinions

i am not arguing with you all about how good jack watts is, all i wanted to state about two weeks ago in another thread, was that i want to take watts with pick 1 but that he will not play much footy next year.

--I started that thread because a lot of people put him in their best 22 and if u look at that other thread, i was just stating that he wont play a lot next year...

-then, in another side argument on that same thread, i said that he has had a couple of average games in school football and that i know some people that dont rate him as highly as everyone here...that is their opinion. i only said it, as just a thing on the side

i thought it was ok to say that.

--then eastie boyz started this argument at the top of this thread...i am defending my mates and that is all i have been trying to do this whole time

--rhino richards "how would they know anything of substance?"

i am not claiming that they smarter than any experts but unlike you, they played against him and didnt rate him that highly in that one match (that is all)...it doesnt make them smarter than you or anybody else here

-i just thought it was interesting to hear another opinion on the topic

im happy for this to end, once everybody stops saying how "pimply faced" and "stupid" they are...and until that stops, i am going to defend them

The prospect of Brock McLean sweeping out a handball to Cale Morton running past on the wing, drilling a pass down the throat of Jack Watts on the lead is enough to make anyone get exited

Hence the name ;)

yes, sorry i missed this between all of the other arguments

and yes, i think your name is perfect, but i think brock mclean should be included as the one that dishes it out to morton

I'm not having a go at your mates personally but if they're only played him once why are they harping on about how he's only ok?

FWIW Trent Zomer's Sth Croydon side beat us in a U18s grand final in 05 and I thought he was an absolute freak - here was this 15/16 y/old kid who towered over everybody else on the field and monstered our best player in the ruck.

Played on him the next year and thought he was average at best, then last year saw him get 1 touch in a half of footy playing for Ranges.

Take all 3 examples individually and get 3 very different opinions on how good he is, take all 3 games and you get what he actually is - an athlete with potential but goes missing a lot.

Anyway . . . what I'm saying is that your friends' opinions are probably equally as informed as someone like mine who say him play against WA at the Carnival (one game each type of thing)

I noticed a thread on Demonology with some great pictures of The Ox in his heyday and I realised how bloody good it can be when you have a dominant key forward. In saying that I'm not drawing a comparison between Schwarta and Jack Watts but it did occur to me that we were at our most dangerous as a combination when we had more than one strong, tall KPP in the team - much the same as the combination of Buddy and Roughead is having on the Hawks - especially with someone as dangerous as Williams around the goals as well as Junior Rioli. Remember the times we had Schwartz and Lyon working the forward line together with Martin Pike thereabouts? And Neita when he wasn't at CHB.

This leads me to the belief that we would benefit greatly if we could snare another tall key forward in this draft to combine with Watts in future years. Robbo is in the twilight zone, Brad Miller has yet to put together a truly consistent season up forward and, as today's Hun said, "Michael Newton has not stepped up." I know that we have a lot of deficiencies everywhere but with seven picks in the upcoming draft, another tall KPP forward is on my wish list.

Agree with that WJ... My only problem with that is the fact that before the disaster of 2007, we had what many considered to be one of the best forward combinations going round... and it didn't do us much good.

I'm all for a pair of gun forwards, but without a clever rebounding defence and a dominant midfield, the ball won't be in our fifty enough for us to have a tilt.

The idea is sound, I just hope the club looks first at the SPINE... not just the next Schwartz.... Geez he was something though, wasn't he? I saw those pics too and thought to myself... My goodness we're a long way off...

I noticed a thread on Demonology with some great pictures of The Ox in his heyday and I realised how bloody good it can be when you have a dominant key forward. In saying that I'm not drawing a comparison between Schwarta and Jack Watts but it did occur to me that we were at our most dangerous as a combination when we had more than one strong, tall KPP in the team - much the same as the combination of Buddy and Roughead is having on the Hawks - especially with someone as dangerous as Williams around the goals as well as Junior Rioli. Remember the times we had Schwartz and Lyon working the forward line together with Martin Pike thereabouts? And Neita when he wasn't at CHB.

This leads me to the belief that we would benefit greatly if we could snare another tall key forward in this draft to combine with Watts in future years. Robbo is in the twilight zone, Brad Miller has yet to put together a truly consistent season up forward and, as today's Hun said, "Michael Newton has not stepped up." I know that we have a lot of deficiencies everywhere but with seven picks in the upcoming draft, another tall KPP forward is on my wish list.

You left out Sean Charles as the crumber. Geez we were great to watch in 1994.

And WJ, how dare you suggest that we play with a conventional forward structure. It's not on in the modern game. B)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...4-19742,00.html

Well there goes all the people saying Watts won't play next year.

hope he proves me wrong but the way i see it:

watts will play less than 4 games next year

i dont see anywhere in the article where it says he will actually play games next year

watts will be a huge, agile, smart, quick thinking player who can dominate games 4 or 5 years down the track i hope, though

dont see the point of him playing much AFL next year to be honest

hope he proves me wrong but the way i see it:

watts will play less than 4 games next year

i dont see anywhere in the article where it says he will actually play games next year

watts will be a huge, agile, smart, quick thinking player who can dominate games 4 or 5 years down the track i hope, though

dont see the point of him playing much AFL next year to be honest

Id say your way to confident and most likely very wrong.

He will play as a HFF in about 6-10 games. If not more, everyone said Cale wouldn't play either.

Id say your way to confident and most likely very wrong.

He will play as a HFF in about 6-10 games. If not more, everyone said Cale wouldn't play either.

id say i hope you're right but i dont see it happening, and im happy to admit that my predictions are usually wrong and this one will probably be too but i see no harm in saying them

edit: in comparison to cale morton, cale was not bottom age like watts is and had finished his year 12

PS: I , like you, want watts to be an absolute champion

and I, like most people here want to see him wear the red and blue next year for melbourne

however, from my perspective, i cant really see this happening and i will be more than happy to be proven wrong by everyone next year if he starts to play and dominate games

edit 2: use of comma (as noted by freak)

imo Watts will be in a similiar position to Patrick Dangerfield (although obviously he doesn't have to travel to Adelaide).

Probably won't play any interstate games and they'll just feed him into a couple of games towards the end of the year.

Does anyone remember if Luke Ball had OP his first year or did he just not play due to school commitments?

imo Watts will be in a similiar position to Patrick Dangerfield (although obviously he doesn't have to travel to Adelaide).

Probably won't play any interstate games and they'll just feed him into a couple of games towards the end of the year.

Does anyone remember if Luke Ball had OP his first year or did he just not play due to school commitments?

"He debuted in 2003 after having injury problems and choosing to play football for Xavier College in his final school year."

If Watts wants to play he WILL play. Simple as that. It really boiled down to the fact that there were rumours he only wanted to play school footy next year (which is fine) but now he has said he thinks he can make an immediate impact it looks like he wants to play AFL next year. I would bet on him playing round 1.

"how would they know anything of substance?"

i am not claiming that they smarter than any experts but unlike you, they played against him and didnt rate him that highly in that one match (that is all)...it doesnt make them smarter than you or anybody else here

-i just thought it was interesting to hear another opinion on the topic

im happy for this to end, once everybody stops saying how "pimply faced" and "stupid" they are...and until that stops, i am going to defend them

Big deal! How would they know how to evaluate a champion player?:wacko:

I dont know why you are putting any substance on what they say or wasting time defends. Its showing more holes in your thinking than their's

Discernment is in short supply it seems. :rolleyes:

If Watts wants to play he WILL play. Simple as that. It really boiled down to the fact that there were rumours he only wanted to play school footy next year (which is fine) but now he has said he thinks he can make an immediate impact it looks like he wants to play AFL next year. I would bet on him playing round 1.

Regardless of whether he does play APS football or not, I would be surprised if he does play in the Rd 1 H&A. He might get a sniff later in the year. Like all 1st year players Watts will need to monitored to ensure he can cope with the demands of AFL.

I reckon that at the moment there's more pressure on Jack Watts than any other player, listed or not.

The kid hasn't even been drafted yet he's already been earmarked as 'the messiah' by the majority of Melbourne fans, I wonder at what level the expectations will be once he actually starts playing, presuming of course we do in fact take him at number one.

Big deal! How would they know how to evaluate a champion player?:wacko:

I dont know why you are putting any substance on what they say or wasting time defends. Its showing more holes in your thinking than their's

Discernment is in short supply it seems. :rolleyes:

pm'd you