Chris Johnson

PeterJames

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade week would've been a good idea for them to go for him.

Agree. Instead of clubs doing absoluetly jack [censored] for 5 days, minor trades like Chris Johnson should've been undertaken. Is it so hard to trade him to Carlton for a fourth round draft pick, if CJ wants out?

5 days in trade week is far too much, given the pathetic amount of trades that happen. MLB, NBA and NFL must laugh at our process.

I'll be [censored] if Visy steals CJ for nothing, considering that he found form last year.

Agree. Instead of clubs doing absoluetly jack [censored] for 5 days, minor trades like Chris Johnson should've been undertaken. Is it so hard to trade him to Carlton for a fourth round draft pick, if CJ wants out?

5 days in trade week is far too much, given the pathetic amount of trades that happen. MLB, NBA and NFL must laugh at our process.

I'll be [censored] if Visy steals CJ for nothing, considering that he found form last year.

How do you know that Carlton actually showed interest in him during trade week?

The whole trade week was defined by a lack of Club(s) interest in other Club's players and the ridiculous salary expectations of player managers.

A fourth round pick is 49 to 64. Hardly worth your hissy fit is it? Its almost akin to a PSD pick in so far as what we could do with it. (ie recruit a Stefan Martin type)

And in regard to CJ, neither Carlton or MFC would be talking sheep stations for the player who is at best a ftinge player with question marks over his capacity for AFL pressure

Agree. Instead of clubs doing absoluetly jack shit for 5 days, minor trades like Chris Johnson should've been undertaken. Is it so hard to trade him to Carlton for a fourth round draft pick, if CJ wants out?

What's the point of trading a fourth round pick? We'd be better off with the player in this case. Not trading him buys us time to negotiate terms with him. If we can't, and lose him to Carlton in the PSD, we're no worse off than if we'd traded him for a useless fourth round pick.

And frankly, the fact that we've only offered him one year (if any of this is at all true), and this late in the piece, suggests that the decision to keep him was very borderline anyway. Reading between the lines, I doubt our FD would worry too much if he walked.

I certainly wouldn't.

What's the point of trading a fourth round pick? We'd be better off with the player in this case. Not trading him buys us time to negotiate terms with him. If we can't, and lose him to Carlton in the PSD, we're no worse off than if we'd traded him for a useless fourth round pick.

And frankly, the fact that we've only offered him one year (if any of this is at all true), and this late in the piece, suggests that the decision to keep him was very borderline anyway. Reading between the lines, I doubt our FD would worry too much if he walked.

I certainly wouldn't.

I would.

I think CJ began to deliver last year. Small/Medium backs who provide some run with good disposal are hardly are strength. He is still young, and as the side improves I think he could do some damage.

2 Years is fair considering a number of our younger players were signed to 2 year deals earlier in the year, including Juice.

I haven't been a CJ fan in the past but had to admit he did show some form last year. At the beginning of next season he will be 23 and the next few years will be his best. We have done the hard yards with him and it would be a shame if he went elsewhere and played his best footy. Its not like we have some up and coming half back flanker that can replace him!

I haven't been a CJ fan in the past but had to admit he did show some form last year. At the beginning of next season he will be 23 and the next few years will be his best. We have done the hard yards with him and it would be a shame if he went elsewhere and played his best footy. Its not like we have some up and coming half back flanker that can replace him!

Grimes and Petterd spring to mind as being ahead of him in the queue for a HBF spot amongst our up and comers.

RR, and Nasher, If hypothetically CJ did go to Carlton, it would be frustrating given that his trade value increased from nothing to a little in one year. Any other year I would've thrown him at Carlton.

I would be surprised if the FD thought he was expendable given that he was our most consistent player between rounds 12-18, and even polled a brownlow vote against Brisbane. I would've thought he'd be in Bailey's future plans given that he's under 23 and can carry the footy.

And why would they offer an inconsistent and non-committed Newton 2 years but only 1 for CJ?

Guest Schtacker

If it's true they offered him a one-year (since he is still quite young and is the son of a former dual Bluey winner) and has finally done something on the field - they are incompetent. What the hell would he want out for? He's from WA so no Judd-sanctioned 'I wanna go home' factor. If CJ walks to Carlton to join Judd and Warnock at the 'let's just take Melbourne's stuff club' - because of our unfair and insulting offer I will just.... my lord I don't know....but I will not be happy at all :angry: :angry: :angry:

Of course this whole thread could be just full of it...

After 2008 i Personally do not have a problem with the whole list being placed on 1 year incentive based Contracts. I know it aint possible but its what should happen. Make players really want to earn their place.

I'd just like to think that no contract, irrespective of whom it is signing up, can result in a situation where the club is paying too much money for a non performing player. There are many historic examples. Paying money for nothing kills a club like ours.

Contracts should be performanced based, in that they reduce by a margin each year pending a satisfactory annual review which can provide bonus top-ups if necessary.

I don't care if this puts us on the outer with regards prima donna players, for example, Robert Warnock. We should stick to the young blokes and hard contracts, which I think is happening.

I would.

I think CJ began to deliver last year. Small/Medium backs who provide some run with good disposal are hardly are strength. He is still young, and as the side improves I think he could do some damage.

2 Years is fair considering a number of our younger players were signed to 2 year deals earlier in the year, including Juice.

Agreed

I read a post where Goose stated he'd not buy a membership if CJ goes. It seems to have been deleted.

Not to worry. I'll buy 2 if he goes.

It was in the gossip thread in drafting that YM/Goose posted that.

I'd just like to think that no contract, irrespective of whom it is signing up, can result in a situation where the club is paying too much money for a non performing player. There are many historic examples. Paying money for nothing kills a club like ours.

Contracts should be performanced based, in that they reduce by a margin each year pending a satisfactory annual review which can provide bonus top-ups if necessary.

I don't care if this puts us on the outer with regards prima donna players, for example, Robert Warnock. We should stick to the young blokes and hard contracts, which I think is happening.

Contracts typically lag performance and market conditions by up to 2 years. And its the wonderful skill of hindsight that you employ to make your case.

Your suggestion would be laughed at by player managers who realise their client could do better through negotiation with a sensible employer. Hell, its hard enough to get players to come to MFC and then to retain them without burying our head in the sands.

RR, and Nasher, If hypothetically CJ did go to Carlton, it would be frustrating given that his trade value increased from nothing to a little in one year. Any other year I would've thrown him at Carlton.

I would be surprised if the FD thought he was expendable given that he was our most consistent player between rounds 12-18, and even polled a brownlow vote against Brisbane. I would've thought he'd be in Bailey's future plans given that he's under 23 and can carry the footy.

And why would they offer an inconsistent and non-committed Newton 2 years but only 1 for CJ?

Hypothetically whats the difference between a little and nothing. Is a little a 4th or 5th round? You should fret the big things not the little.

Lets get the blinkers off and think through the "he's under 23 therefore must be part of the Bailey's future plans". He's C grader who has limited upside. MFC's offer reflects that assessment

Whatever Newton and CJ would be on its small $$$$. The difference is that the FD probably reckon in the absence of better options, Newton should be persevered with over two years. As another poster said we have Grimes and Pettard potentially playing for CJ's role. FWIW, I think we should have shoved Newton on this year. And if he stars I was wrong. But.... However I dont think one wrong decision necessarily justifies making another.

Guest grant

The reason Newton got the end of the deal is because our forward line is in shambles and is seemingly the weakest link in the side

Useless 4th round picks of the past include.

Brad Miller, Paul Medhurst, Dane Swan, Simon Buckley, Ryan O'Keefe, Cameron Bruce, just to name a few.

I think we should stick with CJ and sign him up as a matter of priority.

1st of all, I think it is unfair to say that he hasn't shown much in 4 years at the club. Almost everyone here agrees that he had a very good 2008 before getting injured. Some players take longer to grow into their bodies and develop as footballers. Not all players are born to be immediate stars like Judd and co. Premiership teams are not built around 22 stars, but rather a core of great footballers ('A-graders'), another bunch of quality footballers ('automatic selections'), and then a group of very solid but interchangeable footballers ('depth' group). CJ at the very least fits into category 3. Furthermore, by the end of 2008 he started to display enough to suggest he might fit into category 2 in the very near future (if not now).

His major pro in my opinion is his disposal by foot, which stands out like a beacon in the woeful sea of darkness that is displayed by the rest. Just because he wasn't as good for the three years before last (as a raw up and coming youngster), it doesn't mean he hasn't now turned the corner. Plus we don't know the circumstances surrounding his form in the past. He did come to the club after some serious shoulder problems. Maybe it took him time to re-gain the confidence in his body that he needed to perform. Some people here think he is soft. Maybe a greater confidence in his own ability will allow him to play with more aggression. We have invested a lot in the young man, and I would hate to lose him just when he is starting to show promise. If he has a Barry Crocker next year, talk to me at that stage. But otherwise I think he has done more than enough to earn his place on the list. And if a 2 year contract is what is needed, then i think we give it to him. It's not like he's going to be on a massive pay-packet, and he has shown that AT WORST he will be a very capable 'depth' HBF, and at best, possibly an 'automatic selection'. I think some people have expectations that are too high. Maybe it is because his father was a champion. Or maybe we are just cruel.

He will likely never become an 'A-grader', but how many players ever do???

Useless 4th round picks of the past include.

Brad Miller, Paul Medhurst, Dane Swan, Simon Buckley, Ryan O'Keefe, Cameron Bruce, just to name a few.

A smarter post would have recognised that its 5 names out about 160 names over the past 10 years. And Simon Buckley???? ATM, a fringe player in a bottom side. Nothing to crow about at this stage.

I think we should stick with CJ and sign him up as a matter of priority.

1st of all, I think it is unfair to say that he hasn't shown much in 4 years at the club. Almost everyone here agrees that he had a very good 2008 before getting injured. Some players take longer to grow into their bodies and develop as footballers. Not all players are born to be immediate stars like Judd and co. Premiership teams are not built around 22 stars, but rather a core of great footballers ('A-graders'), another bunch of quality footballers ('automatic selections'), and then a group of very solid but interchangeable footballers ('depth' group). CJ at the very least fits into category 3.

Category 3 "depth" players are a dime a dozen and I dont know why supporters are so keen to retain them. And while not all players are born to be immediate stars, most players will never be stars at all over their career.

If he has a Barry Crocker next year, talk to me at that stage. But otherwise I think he has done more than enough to earn his place on the list. And if a 2 year contract is what is needed, then i think we give it to him. It's not like he's going to be on a massive pay-packet, and he has shown that AT WORST he will be a very capable 'depth' HBF, and at best, possibly an 'automatic selection'.

You make some reasonable points, but I get the feeling pay-packet might be an important factor for the kid. Like it is for many.

Category 3 "depth" players are a dime a dozen and I dont know why supporters are so keen to retain them. And while not all players are born to be immediate stars, most players will never be stars at all over their career.

So are you saying, RR, that we shouldn't be upset about losing a player in whom we invested 4 years of effort into developing, who is the son of a former club great, and who, by the sounds of it you admit could play a role in the team for next year, just because there are others like him around (in whom we never invested anything, may never be good enough anyway and don't have his excellent foot-skills)??? What are we to do instead, delist him to be picked up by the scum for free, take an extra low draft pick and hope he turns out to be at least a decent depth half back with good foot skills? Or a recycled player that someone else didn't want in the PSD? The point here is that you can't just gamble and hope to find adequate replacements when you already have someone who has shown he is capable of playing a specific role. You CAN trade these players for better draft picks or other players to fill other roles during trade period, but now that boat has sailed, we would be giving him away for nothing at this point in time after investing much. Delisting a young player who has shown promise and doesn't deserve to be delisted is bad business.

And I don't quite get your second point. I did put in my post that most players are not born to be immediate stars in their career, but I never said that Johnno needed to develop into a star to continue to be of value to the team. Are you saying that to win a premiership we need 22 stars on the field come GF day, therefore let's get rid of him?

My source inside the club tells me Chris Johnson will be nominating for the Pre-Season Draft and leaving our club.

Apparently Carlton have thrown him a bucket of dollars and a longer contract than us and he has accepted.

I am absolutely furious if this is true.

I really rate CJ highly and we can't afford to lose him.

I also doubt he would slip that far to Carlton in the draft, so I am crossing my fingers that this is incorrect information from my normally reliable source.

If this is true, there better be some bl00dy good answers as tho why this is allowed to happen.