What does Melbourne need to do next year???

Devoted Demon

Being competitive is obviously easier said than done. I don't expect us to better the win:loss ratio from next year, but I don't expect four 100+ point losses or whatever like this season. We're losing 4-5 veteran players (probably more) and adding younger players. We were inexperienced last season, and we'll be even more inexperienced next year.

We need to draft well and wisely and go with a strict youth policy. If that means pain next year, then so be it. I'd rather see no improvement next year, but substantial improvement from then on in, just so we can get our high draft picks used to playing AFL football. The last two seasons have been an aging process. We haven't been rebuilding, but rather getting rid of/fixing the mess that Neale "I stayed 5 years too long" Daniher left. Next season is officialy the beginning of the rebuilding phase. Don't expect much improvement onfield. That will come from 2010 onwards imho.

Being competitive is obviously easier said than done. I don't expect us to better the win:loss ratio from next year, but I don't expect four 100+ point losses or whatever like this season. We're losing 4-5 veteran players (probably more) and adding younger players. We were inexperienced last season, and we'll be even more inexperienced next year.

We need to draft well and wisely and go with a strict youth policy. If that means pain next year, then so be it. I'd rather see no improvement next year, but substantial improvement from then on in, just so we can get our high draft picks used to playing AFL football. The last two seasons have been an aging process. We haven't been rebuilding, but rather getting rid of/fixing the mess that Neale "I stayed 5 years too long" Daniher left. Next season is officialy the beginning of the rebuilding phase. Don't expect much improvement onfield. That will come from 2010 onwards imho.

I agree pretty much with that summary 'boy. The game-time put into last years 'recruits' (Morton, Martin, Garland, Wanna', Maric, etc) will be invaluable in years to come. Expect the same for this years crop of draftees, and another difficult year before they start develop AFL bodies, get a game plan down pat, and become competitive for large parts of most games.

Congratulations Devoted Demon on your choice of teams, and hang in there across the rough patches ........ you'll enjoy the ride, especially when we reach the highway.

Firstly, I encourage you to buy that membership and stick with the Dees, for the only way is up. Expect a little more pain next season, as there will be a new look Demon outfit, predominantly very young side who will still have many players with their "L" plates on for AFL senior level. They'll still be learning Bailey's game style and each others game, but they'll be keen to impress after a poor 2007.

Calabrese boy describes it well, don't expect alot of improvement next season, but expect exciting glimpses of things to come. It's really a New Era we are embarking on. Next season we need all on board, we need supporters to attend as much as it is possible, to support these boys next year.

Firstly, I encourage you to buy that membership and stick with the Dees, for the only way is up. Expect a little more pain next season, as there will be a new look Demon outfit, predominantly very young side who will still have many players with their "L" plates on for AFL senior level. They'll still be learning Bailey's game style and each others game, but they'll be keen to impress after a poor 2007.

Calabrese boy describes it well, don't expect alot of improvement next season, but expect exciting glimpses of things to come. It's really a New Era we are embarking on. Next season we need all on board, we need supporters to attend as much as it is possible, to support these boys next year.

Dont worry bout me sticking around guys Melbourne has a great club. I didnt like afl untill I saw them play 3 years ago now I know everyone on the side I have been to nearly every game this year and last. I think some how my I have been brain washed by a great team. Thanks to every one for their points about what to expect I will no doubt pass you guys in the MCG next year

Melbourne needs to gain Respect next year on & off the field. I expect to see a little more improvement on the field than has been stated earlier on this thread, as a long "proper" pre-season is about to commence. with the 2 new teams being forced down our throats the MFC does not have years to grow & Nurture like the Hawks did. We must show improvement rather quickly. Remember that we are still without a Major sponsor & in these Dark Economic times ahead that will not be easy.

Act Now.

Actually, in a statistically quirky way we'll have a more experienced team on the field next year than this year.

Remember that all the guys who played this year will start next year with the extra season's experience.

(well duh)

BUT, also note that of those experience players who have now left, only White (13) and Robbo (10) played even a vaguely substantial number of games. Neitz, Yze, Holland and Carroll barely played ten between them.

So the team that actually lines up on match day will be considerably more experienced next year than it was this year.

And of course, next year the injuries will clear up... how many years can we go on saying 'It can't be as bad as last year'?

Still... Mclean and Rivers in particular would be handy to have back as far as on-field maturity goes.

Oh, and off the field -

We need to improve our income (from any and all sources) by about $500,000 on 2008.

Reduced costs in player payments and 'CEO replacing' expenditure, plus reduced debt servicing, plus a few other simple cuts have shaved off about a million dollars (after factoring in increased footy dept. expenditure, which appears to be occuring).

It's more than do-able. Obviously the big issue is replacing the major sponsor, but remember that Primus is still on board on a reduced commitment. It cans till work out in our favour (fingers tightly crossed - Goooooo Schwabby)