How about some smokeys?

Pinball Wizard

If Christopher Hall was available at pick 35, I'd love for us to pick him up. Takes the game on and is a classy mover with terrific skills.

Tom Swift intrigued me from the beginning, and his 20m sprint time has only added to that. I wouldn't be disappointed if we nabbed Michael Walters or Matthew Broadbent either. For varying reasons I get the feeling whoever gets any of these four kids will think 'gee, how did this kid fall into our laps?'

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broadbent................. name is too close too Broadbridge. I still get choked up thinking of him.

Broady....how unfortunate. He actually left the team a big hole in terms of structure. He could match up on the Hirds of this football world, and was a decent KPP for us in the making. Sadly missed.

Rhys Healy - Bendigo Pioneers

Brodie Filo - Bendigo Pioneers

Both players had slight injuries which limited their playing time with Bendigo last season but both were instrumental as 17 year old's in an Eaglehawk premiership victory in the Bendigo Football League. Healy was judged best on ground in the 2007 BFL Grand Final and Filo kicked a number of goals. Filo is the son of Derek Filo one of country Victoria's best footballers and has mounds of ability despite his 5ft 10 frame. Healy is probably 6'3" and plays a lot like Clinton Young.

You want smokey's, they are two from the the centre of the smoke.

Late or rookie pick - Rory Sloane

I am really hoping we can get him. Hopefully he slips to pick 35! I would be prepared to use pick 19 to be safe! I really rate him! I doubt he would slip through late though! I am expecting him to be gone before pick 30. No way would he slip to the rookie draft!

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/duo-...3013793038.html

Article on Tom Swift (and Jackson Trengove) from the Age. I really want Swift at pick 17.

Sounds too injury prone.

I dont think our medical staff would know what to do if we drafted him.

The medical staff would end up in hospital themselves with heart failure.

Dont underetimate the impact of 2 serious knee injuries to a kid.

The fact of the matter is that some players are injury prone.

These are not the players that will give us a good return in the long-term, they are a higher risk.

A risk i am not prepared to take.

Joel Selwood was passed up by a number of clubs, but a risk which has paid off for Geelong, but i will be intrigued to see how long his career goes, even though he has had only 1 knee op.

Gumbleton is another top pick injury prone player.

I don't know much about anyone from outside of my area but here's a list of guys from Eastern Ranges, Box Hill and Casey Scorpions that may be looked at

Dale Walker - Eastern Ranges - 188cm - more of an athlete than a footballer, plays CHB for Ranges and uses his speed/leap to match it with taller opponents. played one or 2 games for Metro at the U18 carnival off half back. biggest query is his kicking (he reminds me of that McCarthy who played at Geelong) but at least this year he's been kicking drop punts lol

Matthew Cunningham - Eastern Ranges - 188cm - inside midfielder who's nickname is 'Bater' due to his red hair. St Kilda may have first crack at him under the FS rule but could be worth making a play for him (even if it's just to force the Saints hand). Reminds me a bit of McLean as he's a workhorse type played who has average footspeed and skills

Jordan Gysberts - Eastern Ranges - 188cm - I believe he may be too young for this years draft but is almost a 100% certainty next year. Played in the same junior side as Blease and within Ranges they believe he will be a better player

Luke McDonald - Eastern Ranges - 194cm - CHF who is reasonably mobile with a decent pair of hands. Got cut from the Metro squad then played his best month for the year straight after

Marc Mollica - Eastern Ranges - 190cm - played against him a couple of years ago and he reminds me of Matt Greig that plays for Vermont. Same wiry built, quick off the mark with a huge vertical leap. has all the talent to be a Robbo type 3rd forward but wasn't able to translate it into TAC up form before he did his knee half way through the year. kicked 6 in a grand final last year against our captain who was also the league BnF

Andrew Renton - Eastern Ranges - 202cm - over age ruckman who missed most of last year due to a knee injury. like Zomer was virtually guaranteed to be drafted when he was U16 but hasn't grown or developed anywhere near as much as what Ranges would have liked (much as Zomer didn't). decent tap ruckman who doesn't mind getting down on his hands and knees. rookie list at best

Nathan Batsanis (Box Hill) - 181cm - will be 20 going into next season and spent last year on Port's rookie list and apparently tore it up in the SANFL. I've heard a few stories about why he got cut varying from attitude issues, off field problems to homesickness. was one of Box Hill's better performers for the year as a skilled running midfielder

Lukas Markovic (Box Hill) - 193cm - 21 y/old who spent a couple of years on Hawthorn's rookie list before breaking his feet then other leg (or something stupid like that). Invited to this years state screening and the Hawks are keen to sign him again. Held down CHB all year, was Ranges captain in 05 and was drafted as a forward who, while not quick, was very smart and had the ability to jump straight up running at full tilt (as evident by him playing ruck at stages this year)

Cameron Pederson (Box Hill) - 192cm - 21 y/old who would have endured many battles against Markovic and Bate as they played against each other all through juniors. Played as a forward early in the year and struggled somewhat but blossomed when he was thrown in the ruck due to injuries to Hawthorn ruckman and played the rest of the year as a tall on-baller/wingman. Extremely clean pair of hands and a thumping kick

Troy Wright (Box Hill) - 188cm - captained Ranges a few times last year as an over age player (after he got cut last year for playing with his local club against Ranges orders). Has a huge leap (plays ruck for his local club) and is a great, team orientated player (sometimes a little too much). Best suited as a half-forward/wingman. A long shot at best, especially considering he chose against playing in Box Hill reserves finals campaign to play in Mooroolbark's

Kyle Mathews (Casey Scorpions) - 178cm - Casey's youngest captain in their history after being appointed this year at the age of 22. Quick midfielder who's an exceptional kick and is deceptively strong for someone of his stature

Jordan Gysberts - Eastern Ranges - 188cm - I believe he may be too young for this years draft but is almost a 100% certainty next year. Played in the same junior side as Blease and within Ranges they believe he will be a better player

Luke McDonald - Eastern Ranges - 194cm - CHF who is reasonably mobile with a decent pair of hands. Got cut from the Metro squad then played his best month for the year straight after.

Gysberts is too young for this draft while I believe McDonald is being looked at keenly by the Tigers.

Art Vanderlay might come into contention as a late draft pick if he nominates.

If you want a smokey, i'll tell you one kid that the dees are looking REAL closely at for pick 17 and 19

NSW/ACT co-captain- Kade Klemke.

got a bit of pace and good attack on the footy. his skills are good. but just good.

there you go yencks, beat you to it

• 3 weeks later...

Dodman might be worth a punt but he's very raw, a bit lumbering and needs a couple of seasons. He played mainly in the reserves for North Adelaide after quitting the Adelaide 36ers. However, at 207cm tall (i.e 1cm taller than Robert Warnock), it still might be better going with him than punting on a young ruckman in the draft. He would be better as a rookie but we do already have Spencer and I think the two Adelaide clubs and one or two others from Victoria are also on to him.

Very big and heavy and raw, but who knows he could be a future ruckman/forward. Brogan made the transition from basketball to AFL.

You would have to consider him for a late pick or rookie pick given our dearth of key forwards and ruckmen.

• 1 month later...
Rhys Healy - Bendigo Pioneers

Brodie Filo - Bendigo Pioneers

Both players had slight injuries which limited their playing time with Bendigo last season but both were instrumental as 17 year old's in an Eaglehawk premiership victory in the Bendigo Football League. Healy was judged best on ground in the 2007 BFL Grand Final and Filo kicked a number of goals. Filo is the son of Derek Filo one of country Victoria's best footballers and has mounds of ability despite his 5ft 10 frame. Healy is probably 6'3" and plays a lot like Clinton Young.

You want smokey's, they are two from the the centre of the smoke.

Good work Pinball.

I managed to pick a smokey too.

Get on Rhys Healy.