Green put up for trade!

Tolstoys Nudge

Guest Bozzie_Demons

It will be a sad day when Greeney leaves. He was one of the only players to stand up this year. Might of been too late? Deserves a 3 year contract. Clubs these days dont look at loyalty anymore. I find it funny that they ewant commitment from players though when its time for clubs to commit they move you on. (or force you to retire ala S.West)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a sad day when Greeney leaves. He was one of the only players to stand up this year. Might of been too late? Deserves a 3 year contract. Clubs these days dont look at loyalty anymore. I find it funny that they ewant commitment from players though when its time for clubs to commit they move you on. (or force you to retire ala S.West)

This club has been far too protective of careers at expense of the club.

I have said before, and I will continue to say, I want a flag. And if that means not seeing Brad Green play 200 games for this club, then so be it.

Brad Green now appears set to be offered up as trade bait, with contract talks coming to a complete stand still this week..

That is the report out of the club today, according to numerous people at the club, and in the media.

1 highly regarded journalist from the Australian even going as far to say that the demons are considering 2 offers that have been put to them by fellow victorian clubs already.

All I could get out of him was that the club showing the most interest was Essendon.

It now appears more likely by the day that Green may just move on, as the club is refusing to extend their offer to a 3 year term.

Although both parties are hopeful something can be worked it, time is of the essence, and the odds are now tilted towards Green departing.

A club official yesterday told some reporters off the record that the role of captain was not part of any current negotiations by either party.

Brent Prismall has now un-officially been offered a 2 year deal, with the option of a 3rd, pending performance, by the demons. The clubs comment on the matter has been simply "weve spoken to him yes, and he is currently weighing up his options".. Over 5-6 sources have re-affirmed that this offer is in place.

One Geelong reporter went as far to tell me today the Prismall has agreed to terms, and is confident a deal will be done in principle by early next week.

In other mumblings, Chris Johnson appears likely to be traded back to WA, with the Eagles seemingly showing the most interest, and Melbourne have placed a "not interested" sign above Jared Rivers' head, after receiving several inquiries regarding the Key defenders availibility.

Melbourne are also still very hopeful of being able to land Fremantle big man Robert Warnock, believing that they have the ability to offer Fremantle the best offer for the Ruckman. Reports also suggest that Warnock has told Fremantle that he will only deal with Melbourne and the blues, leaving Carlton as his no.1 destination, and the tigers out in the cold.

Disgruntled Hawk bigman Simon Taylor is believed to be another option for the club, with Taylor rumoured to of already asked to be moved on at seasons end.

Ryan O'keefe, the Key Sydney stalwart, has been made the subject of a big play by the Western Bulldogs, its believed he has been offered a 4 year multi million $$$ deal, even larger than the one the dogs unsuccesfully offred Russel Robertson Last year, this time however, the mail is that they may have their man this time.

Other players that may be looking for a new home are: Ashley Hansen, Brent Reilly, Farren Ray, Sam Butler, Leigh Fisher, Kane Tenace, Ed Barlow, Jason Davenport, Brad Fisher and Mitch Clarke.

Thats all the latest mail as of 8pm,

Nudge Out..

Brad Green should, all things being equal, win our B&F this year..what does it say about our club that he is being offered up for trade !!! 24 votes in aggregate in this year's Brownlow..3 wins (2 of which could easily have gone the other way..and we're trading away what little talent we have....A JOKE !

Guest Golgothan

If Essendon offered us pick 23 for Green, i think we should take it. They won't give up their early pick for any money, so unless they trade from a lower pick it'll be the best they offer.

People might think that pick 23 is a bit under market value for Green, but it would be a valuable pick. It's a deep draft and would allow us to take the best available KP forward with pick 17 or 19 and still get 2 very good midfielders. Or it would allow us to take a risk such as drafting Swift, who is thought of as a potential top 5 draft pick if not for injuries. If we're the ones offering him around then sometimes you have to take a bit less then you want, so we might want top 20 but we'll accept pick 23 at 1:55pm on Friday.

Not sure if there'd be any interest, but St Kilda may be a team with a late first round we could target for Green & our 3rd pick. If they got Green it would allow the likes of Goddard & Gram to play more permenant midfield roles. Green & pick 35 for pick 13 would be very nice

Brad Green should, all things being equal, win our B&F this year..what does it say about our club that he is being offered up for trade !!! 24 votes in aggregate in this year's Brownlow..3 wins (2 of which could easily have gone the other way..and we're trading away what little talent we have....A JOKE !

So you assume Brad wants to stay?

Is it not possible he's on the table because HE WANTS TO BE ? At that age, he isn't going to get another opportunity for a flag with the dees, nor will he get the sort of money he'd like.

I think a trade works for both him & the club.

And his best is now behind him, why hang onto a player thats on the downward slide?

I'm sure you'd rather we wait until he's like Yze and has no currency? Or would you like to see the club improve its list for the future??

Half the reason MFC is in so much trouble is that we've had so many people supporting & involved in the club that run around with blinkers on and refuse to think things through beyond a basic level.

This club has been far too protective of careers at expense of the club.

I have said before, and I will continue to say, I want a flag. And if that means not seeing Brad Green play 200 games for this club, then so be it.

You idiot! If a club has no loyalty to a player who has been a great servant to a club, then it has nothing in my opinion. Green deserves the captaincy/3 year deal. He has continually stood up over the last 2 years when nearly everyone else hasn't.

Yep!

Or would you like to see the club improve its list for the future??

Half the reason MFC is in so much trouble is that we've had so many people supporting & involved in the club that run around with blinkers on and refuse to think things through beyond a basic level.

So trading away our likely B & F for this year for an unproven 2nd round draftee will improve our list for the future will it? And if as you say, Green's best football is behind him, why would another club give anything for him?

Why can't people get this through their head, we won't have a future if we have another 2 years like this season. We are not in any position to think about 5 year plans.

If you're prepared to underwrite our losses for the next 3 years, by all means trade Green for an 17-18 year old unproven kid.

You idiot! If a club has no loyalty to a player who has been a great servant to a club, then it has nothing in my opinion. Green deserves the captaincy/3 year deal. He has continually stood up over the last 2 years when nearly everyone else hasn't.

GREAT. More sentimental rubbish from people that don't understand football is A BUSINESS and loyalty is for the most part a fallacy.

Do you think Brad Green doesn't have a manager using every trick in his arsenal to bleed more money out of MFC, or get him to his preferred destination?

Players get paid well to play, they don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Do you see how Hawthorn managed to once again become a contender?

They traded away 'loyal' servants Nathan Thompson, John Hay, Chick, Graham who'd played for the clubs for years whilst they still had good currency and rebuilt.

This is the exact position we should be in also, not hanging onto aging players & handing them fat contracts & captaincies cos they do what they're paid to do to an acceptable level.

And thats the biggest thing - he has competed, but i'm sorry, Brad Green has not set the world on fire this year.

Greeen is a worthy addition to a team with a window...thats not us , but that doesntmean he has no currency. Im sure if hes up for trade..he'll get taken. He himslef might be thinking..well ..got 3-4 decent years left.. Dees arent anything sure to be hammering in finals soon.. where can I go ??

The reality is his market value might command a late 1st round pick.. but reality is no one wil give them up.. I can see he may become ivolved in one of those convoluted multiplayer ..multi-club swaps !!

So trading away our likely B & F for this year for an unproven 2nd round draftee will improve our list for the future will it?

Yes, most likely. Its a calculated risk any club needs to take when trying to rebuild.

And once again, in my opinion you are overrating Green's impact.

And for mine, I don't rate his leaderships skills. Sorry, i dont. Leading by example is fine, but i want more from my captain.

And if as you say, Green's best football is behind him, why would another club give anything for him?

Because all of this is based on opinion - another club may be of the opinion he's still worth a spot, or that he's the final piece of the puzzle in their push for a premiership while their window is open.

For us, we need youth, not a player that has well & truly reached his potential and is only going backwards from here.

Why can't people get this through their head, we won't have a future if we have another 2 years like this season. We are not in any position to think about 5 year plans.

If you're prepared to underwrite our losses for the next 3 years, by all means trade Green for an 17-18 year old unproven kid.

Do you really think a couple more seasons of mediocrity will save us? Cos BG isn't going to suddenly turn us into a contender.

A draft pick could unearth the next Judd or Cooney...

For us, we need youth, not a player that has well & truly reached his potential and is only going backwards from here.

Do you really think a couple more seasons of mediocrity will save us? Cos BG isn't going to suddenly turn us into a contender.

A draft pick could unearth the next Judd or Cooney...

First and foremost, playing youth doesn't guarantee you success. Brad Green may not make us a contender, but he may allow us to be competitive next year and the year after, which is more than a 17-18 year old kid can hope to achieve.

And I assume that you're expecting a draft pick between 1-3 for Green, because that is where your examples Judd and Cooney got picked up. <_<

Guest Golgothan
First and foremost, playing youth doesn't guarantee you success. Brad Green may not make us a contender, but he may allow us to be competitive next year and the year after, which is more than a 17-18 year old kid can hope to achieve.

And I assume that you're expecting a draft pick between 1-3 for Green, because that is where your examples Judd and Cooney got picked up. <_<

And Green's replacement may allow us to be competitive for 10 years. Green's got 2-3 good years maximum, a draft pick might have 10 good years plus a few extra either side of that.

No we won't get a pick 1 or 3, but we might get a pick 12 or 13 or 20, we could get a Dal Santo or a James Kelly and this player is going to be a lot more important to the club then Green will be over the next 4 or 5 years.

I'm sure a lot of other people would've wanted to move Crawford on a few years ago as they were building their youth.

I don't think a side has to be 100% youth based, and i also don't feel you have to wait untill they're mid 20's until you're pushing for a flag. Green still might be playing pretty good footy for us when our window opens again

Add one Cam Bruce to the Brad Green deal and you achieve 4 things

1. You rid the club of two older players worth something who will never be part of an MFC premiership

2. You virtually end the connection with the previous game plan - which i'm afraid failed

3. You show the club is no longer taking the easy road to mediocrity

4. You potentially have the only trade this club can do for a top 10 pick

Plus Wheatley and Bell to Adelaide for whatever we can get.

We draft some nasty motherfu--ers who can fly our tattered flag

Brock makes captain- tough, passionate, proud, determined, fierce, puts his money where his heart is THAT'S A CAPTAIN!

If Green stays and is made captain we are going nowhere. He has had a good year but he's not a captains little finger. Think Hodge Think Judd, you have my point!

We need some big bodies to match it with the best.

And Green's replacement may allow us to be competitive for 10 years. Green's got 2-3 good years maximum, a draft pick might have 10 good years plus a few extra either side of that.

No we won't get a pick 1 or 3, but we might get a pick 12 or 13 or 20, we could get a Dal Santo or a James Kelly and this player is going to be a lot more important to the club then Green will be over the next 4 or 5 years.

No pain, no gain.

So trading away our likely B & F for this year for an unproven 2nd round draftee will improve our list for the future will it? And if as you say, Green's best football is behind him, why would another club give anything for him?

you'd bloody hope he was close to winning our b&f- not hard to do that in a [censored] team like ours mate- so yes, getting an untried and unknown 2nd round draft pick will help us for the future. 18 yr old- vs 28 yr old..mmm tough one

yes greeny was a good player, and if he does get traded it will be sad to see him go, but give him a crack at a flag in the next 2-3 yrs with another club, and lets make another spot for a young gun in the side

you realise this might just be a conspiracy to rid the club of any colours that arent Red & Blue.. !

Brown's Gone.. White's gone.. Green must be next !!! :D

Don't pretend you're stupid enough to think that you can only get a player of that calibre with a pick in the top 3...

Or am i giving you way too much credit?

i'm starting to lean towards the latter...

I'm sure a lot of other people would've wanted to move Crawford on a few years ago as they were building their youth.

I don't think a side has to be 100% youth based, and i also don't feel you have to wait untill they're mid 20's until you're pushing for a flag. Green still might be playing pretty good footy for us when our window opens again

True. But BG is no Crawford.

I just think people vastly overrate Green's importance to this team.

But there you go, the crux of all this is that i just don't rate Green as a player or a leader anywhere near as highly as a lot of people seem to.

He's useful, but he's just not the crucial cog that everyone wants him to be, and he never will reach those heights

Add one Cam Bruce to the Brad Green deal and you achieve 4 things

1. You rid the club of two older players worth something who will never be part of an MFC premiership

2. You virtually end the connection with the previous game plan - which i'm afraid failed

3. You show the club is no longer taking the easy road to mediocrity

4. You potentially have the only trade this club can do for a top 10 pick

Plus Wheatley and Bell to Adelaide for whatever we can get.

We draft some nasty motherfu--ers who can fly our tattered flag

Brock makes captain- tough, passionate, proud, determined, fierce, puts his money where his heart is THAT'S A CAPTAIN!

If Green stays and is made captain we are going nowhere. He has had a good year but he's not a captains little finger. Think Hodge Think Judd, you have my point!

We need some big bodies to match it with the best.

Good post.

Brock is real captain material. Green is just a band-aid solution and a link to a weak past.

Appointing him captain would just underline MFC's impotence.

Bold decisions & decisiveness are needed, & Bailey seems to have the goods.

Don't pretend you're stupid enough to think that you can only get a player of that calibre with a pick in the top 3...

Or am i giving you way too much credit?

i'm starting to lean towards the latter...

Conversely you can get players of the calibre of Danny Roach, Luke Molan and Barry Brooks, so what's the effin point of bringing up Judd and Cooney's names. :angry: